Sign in to follow this  
daz

Aboh and Lima

With the u21s today not with the 1st team ahead of Liverpool match. 

I would have thought abohs best chance to at least get in the bench with no rowe and Sargent and to try help get him to sign a contract. 

Wagner not fussed about the youth. 

What? Give them a run out at Anfield? That’ll be great for their confidence 

29 minutes ago, daz said:

I would have thought abohs best chance to at least get in the bench with no rowe and Sargent and to try help get him to sign a contract. 

Someone who was there today, and who watches football for a living, said this about Lima:

"Pretty footballer. Very technical. Quite slighty. Not sure how he'd cope with the physicality of the Championship, if I'm honest."

What can you offer to back up your view?

37 minutes ago, RobJames said:

How absurd !

Why? With Sargent and Rowe out surely Aboh should be on the bench and given a decent run out??

• Like 1

Youth coaching staff will know when they think a player is ready to 'step up'. Wagner, as with first team coaches elsewhere; will be guided by their appraisal of youth players. Like Wagner, I know who I trust to know best. Those who are working with the youth squad day in day out - not some malcontent ever desperate to find something to slag off the club about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Why? With Sargent and Rowe out surely Aboh should be on the bench and given a decent run out??

Why not trust the judgement of our professional coaches?  If a player is considered ready I’m sure they’ll get a chance.  There is a huge difference playing ‘age’ games and full-on professional matches.  Alan Irvine used to say that bringing a player on too soon was a huge mistake and he knew what he was talking about.

• Like 3

I'm not sure on the fitness of Hanley or Batth but our most experienced matchday squad would be a choice from:

Long, Ansen

Stacey, Fisher, Giannoulis, McCallum

Hanley, Duffy, Gibson, Batth

McLean, Sara, Gibbs, Nunez, Sorensen

Fassnacht, Hernandez, Placheta?

Idah, Barnes

Assuming a 5,4,1 or 4,3,3 or 4,2,3,1

There isn't really space for Lima or Aboh and Wagner seems to have made his mind up on that. It will be interesting to see how we line-up. We have almost a week before the Coventry game so plenty of time to recover.

Edited by Capt. Pants

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Why not trust the judgement of our professional coaches?  If a player is considered ready I’m sure they’ll get a chance.  There is a huge difference playing ‘age’ games and full-on professional matches.  Alan Irvine used to say that bringing a player on too soon was a huge mistake and he knew what he was talking about.

Irvine refused to give Maddison any meaningful time on the pitch at all as the 16/17 season wound down. About three months later DF gave said player a proper opportunity. We all know what happened.

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Youth games are played as almost 'non contact' games where physical strength is rarely used. If the OP had a clue about this he would not have posted his idiotic bleat. Against Leeds, Rowe, was knocked about and knocked off the ball frequently, and he is experienced in first team football. However, I expect this is no more than an attempt at trying to distract from this cup humiliation. Another thread slagging off Wagner is the best the binners can come up with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daz said:

Nor is Knapper,or the board. Club is f####d........by the way ,Knapper is becoming our worst signing ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Youth games are played as almost 'non contact' games where physical strength is rarely used. If the OP had a clue about this he would not have posted his idiotic bleat. Against Leeds, Rowe, was knocked about and knocked off the ball frequently, and he is experienced in first team football. However, I expect this is no more than an attempt at trying to distract from this cup humiliation. Another thread slagging off Wagner is the best the binners can come up with.

So the guy supports Ipswich does he yet has posted over 500 times on this Board? How do you come to that objective conclusion might one ask? 

• Haha 1

Yes, you might ask. You might point out first, where I stated that he was a binner.

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Nor is Knapper,or the board. Club is f####d........by the way ,Knapper is becoming our worst signing ever. 

Yep, things have taken a massive downward spiral since he came in right?

10 hours ago, Attleborough_Canary said:

Yep, things have taken a massive downward spiral since he came in right?

If you have a new signing,would'nt you like to see him,or at least hear from him? I know I would.

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

If you have a new signing,would'nt you like to see him,or at least hear from him? I know I would.

And we do normally sign several excellent players on January don’t we? Don’t we?

2 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

No. I'd much prefer he gets on with the job instead of some pointless PR.

Most of these interviews are a waste of time, they're the same thing every time, and then they're followed by the permanently disgruntled complaining about the content.

14 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Irvine refused to give Maddison any meaningful time on the pitch at all as the 16/17 season wound down. About three months later DF gave said player a proper opportunity. We all know what happened.

I am not sure this is correct when Irvine took over from Neil, Maddison was involved quite regularly towards the end of the season.

Clearly sending him to Aberdeen and signing Alex Pritchard and Steven Naismith for a combined 20 million is clearly a car crash of decision making by Alex Neil. Who is still held in high regard here and if you analyse the mess he made of his last season I do wonder why.

37 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I am not sure this is correct when Irvine took over from Neil, Maddison was involved quite regularly towards the end of the season.

Clearly sending him to Aberdeen and signing Alex Pritchard and Steven Naismith for a combined 20 million is clearly a car crash of decision making by Alex Neil. Who is still held in high regard here and if you analyse the mess he made of his last season I do wonder why.

If you mean having him sit on the bench then you're correct. From memory he made a single 15 minute or so cameo in a home match at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

No. I'd much prefer he gets on with the job instead of some pointless PR.

Most of these interviews are a waste of time, they're the same thing every time, and then they're followed by the permanently disgruntled complaining about the content.

Yep, I wonder has Knapper been advised to do exactly that. Being 'open & transparent ' seems like a great idea. And it's fine when things are going well. But a disgruntled supporter base tend to get riled by such interviews when we are perceived to be underachieving, which we certainly are if we are failing to maintain the openly-stated target of "top 26." 

Throw in the inconsistency, the lack of 'entertainment,' the general downgrading of the quality of the squad, the lack of money and the recent capitulations at PL level fresh in the mind, perhaps he's right to keep his powder dry. Results have improved recently. Hopefully today isn't an embarrassment. Let's give the man a chance.

• Like 1

It is surprising that we're not seeing more youth players getting a chance this season. There isn't really a better time to do it. We're in the championship, still in the cup and the current players haven't exactly been setting the world alight. If we don't give youth players a chance then they will quite rightly seek other opportunities when they're no longer legally bound to stay. 

For the club to be self-sustaining, we need our academy players to break through into the matchday squad and be successful. Otherwise we're spending millions developing players just for other clubs to benefit.

17 hours ago, RobJames said:

Youth coaching staff will know when they think a player is ready to 'step up'. Wagner, as with first team coaches elsewhere; will be guided by their appraisal of youth players. Like Wagner, I know who I trust to know best. Those who are working with the youth squad day in day out - not some malcontent ever desperate to find something to slag off the club about.

Wagner will listen to the first team coaches but he'll also be taking an active interest in the youth team and forming his own opinions, assuming he's doing his job properly. And of course the final decision will always be his.