Sign in to follow this  
king canary

What will Aboh and co be thinking?

Our u21 side have tonight come back from 2-0 down at half time to progress in the cup vs Charlton.

Aboh x2, Myles and Mundle-Smith scoring the goals. If we don't start seeing a few appearances on the bench from Aboh soon I'd imagine it's a sign he isn't willing to sign a contract.

35 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Our u21 side have tonight come back from 2-0 down at half time to progress in the cup vs Charlton.

Aboh x2, Myles and Mundle-Smith scoring the goals. If we don't start seeing a few appearances on the bench from Aboh soon I'd imagine it's a sign he isn't willing to sign a contract.

Or Wagner can’t see talent of it stares him in the face ??

Its a shame we arent even seeing him on the bench, at least to get exposure to the 1st team and games. If Warner and Rowe, even Springett have been given chances this season, seems bizarre not to give him.some minutes, when our main strikers, with the exception of Rowe, have been dar from prolific this season.

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Or Wagner can’t see talent of it stares him in the face ??

Agree. His constant failure to play Rowe is a measure of that failure. Why is Gunn not our first choice keeper ? And yet the talentless NcLean gets picked when over others. Wagner out, and Webber as well while we are at it.

• Like 1

Three words for those  who simplistically think that because a youngster is scoring goals for the U21s it automatically means that they should become part of the first team squad. The first is Tom - the second is Dickson - the third is Peters. 

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Three words for those  who simplistically think that because a youngster is scoring goals for the U21s it automatically means that they should become part of the first team squad. The first is Tom - the second is Dickson - the third is Peters. 

Does anybody seriously believe he could be any worse than Idah at his age. Every other team seems to give these players a chance,and a cup game against a lower league team is an ideal opportunity.By the way ,if he is no better than Idah at his age,let him go now.

8 hours ago, RobJames said:

Agree. His constant failure to play Rowe is a measure of that failure. Why is Gunn not our first choice keeper ? And yet the talentless NcLean gets picked when over others. Wagner out, and Webber as well while we are at it.

Took his time to pick Sainz ahead of Hernandez didn’t he ?

And clearly more important to have two goal keepers on the bench than offer valuable experience to an academy talent.

The young kid Maiwoo at Man Utd has come into their team and made an impact. Nobody outside of them had heard of him before. Surely we have prospects who we should promote. I read about young defensive midfielders I  the u21 squad as well as Aboh and young Myles who is just about to turn 17 looks the real deal. Good enough then old enough. Not enough teams look at their youth nowadays. Made a comment to a Sunderland fan yesterday. What is the use of academies if they aren't producing, not to sell but to play at a higher level

On 17/01/2024 at 21:55, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Well neither of us know how good his career will be at this stage, but good luck to him I say.

He's played 4 minutes of football for the Chelsea first team, very premature to use him as a stick to beat the club with like many are and I feel you are getting yourself a bit over excited about a player who struggled to transition from our U18s to our U21s.

In 2007 Chelsea paid £5m for Michael Woods from Leeds and £1m for Jacob Mellis from Sheffield United, both created a bit of a stir with Abramovich seen to be using his wealth to hoover up all the best talent from U18's squads. Both got a few minutes for their first team, then ended up in the lower leagues or non-league.

I remember Man Utd pinching Kalam Moonairuck from our academy and flying him to Manchester from Stanstead airport to beat the 90 minute rule before buying his family a house in Manchester. At the same age as Alex Matos is now he got a game for the England U20's

There's probably several George Green's for every James Maddison. I hope Matos makes it in the game, especially if we have a sell on clause, but if he goes around thinking he's made it after playing 4 minutes for Chelsea and 68 minutes for Huddersfield then that would reduce his chances somewhat.

Just a bit on Moonairuck. After failing to make an appearance for Man. U,he played 35 times in his career,finishing at Tiptree Utd. Now coaching at West Ham.

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

And clearly more important to have two goal keepers on the bench than offer valuable experience to an academy talent.

Go back to @shefcanary's comment - they took a junior keeper along as well mainly to warm-up the goalies - but the real issue was that Giannoulis was intended to be on the bench but got a twinge, so ended up naming the third goalie.

Myles looks the real deal. Aboh does get goals. A lot are Tap ins or penalties so hard to know how his scoring record would translate to senior football.

The left back looks decent, as does Forsyth and Lima is starting to regularly  score some great goals. All in all, if you add in the talent we have out on loan there would appear the potential for three or four of them to be integrated into the first team squad in the not too distant future. 

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Just a bit on Moonairuck. After failing to make an appearance for Man. U,he played 35 times in his career

And none of them in the league, all non-league.

Seems to have a decent coaching job at West Ham though so he still made a living in the game, not all was lost.

On 17/01/2024 at 21:01, king canary said:

Aboh has been playing wonderfully for the u21s by all accounts- 9 goals in 11 games.

Finley Welch also highly thought of.

A largely meaningless cup game. 

Instead of giving them a spot on the bench we'd rather have two keepers? Why would any young player think they've got a future here?

You do know that Welch was on the bench for the Cup game away at Bristol City earlier in the season? I presume that you approved? 

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You do know that Welch was on the bench for the Cup game away at Bristol City earlier in the season? I presume that you approved? 

Yes, I think that's a good thing?

On 20/01/2024 at 11:44, Jim Smith said:

Myles looks the real deal. Aboh does get goals. A lot are Tap ins or penalties so hard to know how his scoring record would translate to senior football.

The left back looks decent, as does Forsyth and Lima is starting to regularly  score some great goals. All in all, if you add in the talent we have out on loan there would appear the potential for three or four of them to be integrated into the first team squad in the not too distant future. 

Aren’t tap ins what as equally as important? Also, how many Aboh goals have you seen? As he doesn’t just score tap ins. Also, you can’t compare u21 goals from Aboh to u18 goals from Myles

Well he’s not going get a look in if he’s refusing to commit to the club.

I think the Matos and now Adoh saga are quite worrying developments for the club. There agents or agency are preying on the club and mainly it’s wage structure. I would imagine the club has a quite a rigid wage structure. There are likely 4 levels, youth first team squad, backup for first team, squad rotation and first team regular. Let’s say for argument sake the bottom is 2k, 10k, 15k and 30k. I believe what Adoh and Matos agents are saying the 2k  “new starter” contract is inappropriate for them given performances at youth team level. Norwich response is likely play well and then you will get the 10k pretty quick. The agents then likely hawk them around the premier league academy who initial contract is probably likely close to what to the 15k contract here. The agency now full well what they are doing and Norwich only response Norwich is to up the bottom level contract to say 10k but I would imagine then you are giving every academy player that wage as that is now the wage structure will work. Which Norwich will resist that because it will up the wage bill 30% overnight. The agents will love Norwich they just say sign for Norwich great club, friendly, great facilities, coaches no distractions and then will hawk you to a premier league club at 18.

Edited by Ulfotto