Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Poor old Jordan Henderson

Posted (edited)

Poor bloke can't handle being paid only £700,000 a week. Only been 6 months.. Thought he said he had no regrets? After all he said Saudi Arabia was such a wonderful and beautiful country that it should host the world cup!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/01/reports-jordan-henderson-wants-premier-league-return-after-5-months-in-saudi/

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Posted (edited)

Wonder if we could tempt him to the chumps? 

About time we signed some youth

😉🤣🤣

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Poor bloke can't handle being paid only £700,000 a week. Only been 6 months.. Thought he said he had no regrets? After all he said Saudi Arabia was such a wonderful and beautiful country that it should host the world cup!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/01/reports-jordan-henderson-wants-premier-league-return-after-5-months-in-saudi/

I wonder if anyone has explained the tax implications of him coming back so quickly? It would cost him around £9m😂

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I wonder if anyone has explained the tax implications of him coming back so quickly? It would cost him around £9m😂

I doubt that carries much bearing on him wanting to leave the desert. £9m to a long serving PL footballer is a minor consideration if you're desperate enough.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

His agent will find a way round that minor hiccup.

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

No he won't. It's one of those things that no one can escape. That sound you can hear is HMRC sharpening its teeth. 

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Get him to talk to Redknapp. I'm sure he'll help!

HMRC are hopeless. If you’re wealthy there is always a deal to be done.

4 minutes ago, FCC said:

HMRC are hopeless. If you’re wealthy there is always a deal to be done.

HMRC is singular so you meant to say 'HMRC is hopeless'. Actually it isn't. Compliance yield for 2022/23 was around £37bn (billion not million). 

If Henderson comes back now he is liable to UK tax on his earnings in Saudi Arabia. There is no "deal" to be done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Nah, it would be the signing on fee he'd extract from the club he signs for. Footballers do everything net of tax; tax is left to the club they sign for to sort.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Nah, it would be the signing on fee he'd extract from the club he signs for. Footballers do everything net of tax; tax is left to the club they sign for to sort.

No they don’t. Footballers pay paye on their wages the same as any other employee. If he comes back to the uk before the two year period is up he’ll have to pay around 50% of his Saudi earnings in uk tax (£9m approx).

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

HMRC is singular so you meant to say 'HMRC is hopeless'. Actually it isn't. Compliance yield for 2022/23 was around £37bn (billion not million). 

If Henderson comes back now he is liable to UK tax on his earnings in Saudi Arabia. There is no "deal" to be done. 

HMRC statistics for 2021/22 show a tax gap of £739.3 billion.  Given most of us pay tax through our wages, or purchases, I consider it hopeless.  That is also assuming the tax liabilities after HMRC have been negotiated down. 

23 minutes ago, not a clue said:

No they don’t. Footballers pay paye on their wages the same as any other employee. If he comes back to the uk before the two year period is up he’ll have to pay around 50% of his Saudi earnings in uk tax (£9m approx).

I know they "pay" all their due taxes, but when they negotiate any contract they tend to stipulate their "need" as the amount that hits their bank account, not the pre-tax amount. So in Henderson's case, when he does sign for an EPL club (note I said when, not if), he will stipulate a net amount to be recieved, also taking account of any additional tax liability arising from an transfer back from his sojourn in the middle east. Yes, he will have "paid" the tax, but it won't affect the net amount that gets into his bank account, which will be his start point in negotiation with the new club. That was what I was trying to get across and why he will return to a "big" club with more money than sense.

• Thanks 1

Our Gareth will keep picking him for England I’m sure because… he’s nice?

Gareth would be perfect for a post England f@&k up job post England with us. Kind of Mike Bassett in reverse.

6 hours ago, not a clue said:

A lot of footballers actually get out of PAYE, or at least a large chunk of it, by negotiating image rights separately to salary and then having the image rights payments made to a ltd company. 

Here's a company that Wayne Rooney used for that purpose: https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/04380068-stoneygate-48-limited

When he liquidated it in 2023 he walked away with £21m.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I don't see anyone coughing up £9m to pay his tax. Especially as it would be on top of a transfer fee. I suppose a lot depends on how keen the Saudi club are to get rid of him. 

I'm just amazed he didn't realise what it was going to be like. Did he really believe himself when he talked all that rubbish about not going for the money? 

He'll be 34 in the summer so any signing costs will be dead money. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog