Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

The club is run, governed and organised by gutless clowns

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

Stop crying. The biggest proportion of your football supporting life will be watching fairly boring $hit. Its the small proportion of magical moments that make it all worth while.

I disagree with this Ricardo. As a Norwich fan over the last 70 years you’ve probably seen the most promotions and relegations of any team in English football. You’ve seen us lift 5 trophies by my count which is more than probably 75% of the clubs in those years. We hold the record for most promotions and relegations too and from the Prem. We’ve won at Wembley twice, beaten Bayern away, how many other clubs of our size can claim the same? 

48 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The fans that accept the football we saw against Southampton will be the same ones that accept relegation, degradation in available footballing talent, administration et al.

Its a day out for them.

I do accept relegation. For a club our size it’s an inevitability that if we go up eventually we’ll have a bad season and come down again. It’s the same for any other club in this division and 2/3 of the league above

4 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I do accept relegation. For a club our size it’s an inevitability that if we go up eventually we’ll have a bad season and come down again. It’s the same for any other club in this division and 2/3 of the league above

It’s the acceptance of low standards that tanks everything in life. Before you know it you’ve got a board of nobodies and a drunk owner. 

It’s a slow slide, but it can be averted even now.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s the acceptance of low standards that tanks everything in life. Before you know it you’ve got a board of nobodies and a drunk owner. 

It’s a slow slide, but it can be averted even now.

I’ve read about 50 posts of yours in the last 24 hours criticising the club, so tell me what you’d actually like to see.

What do you want Attanasio to do as owner? What systems can he put in place to ensure success on our budget?

What do you want from Knapper? Who should he choose as manager, what playing style should he ask for and should he rigidly impose that on all age groups or value flexibility?

While Wagner is here should he always set the team up in an attacking manner, or should he change his tactics to suit the opposition? What would be your starting XI for our next league game?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Yes, you're right and Norwich City can't be blamed for that. It's what has happened to English football as a result of TV money. If we do eventually employ a manager who is good enough to get us promoted and keep us up he will leave for bigger and better things. 

I must admit to being content with Championship football. That wasn't the case 20 years ago but I'm really not interested in watching us battle for survival and ultimately fail. 

As for Saturday's game, I do have some sympathy for the views of @ricardo

However, I go to Carrow Road to be entertained, not to sit in silence watching a game of attack v defence. To put it in perspective, we were playing Southampton at home in the Championship. 

The strength of our team is attacking players like Rowe, Sainz and Sargent. All 3 of those players would walk into the Southampton team but our manager seems to have been confused and thought we were playing Manchester City.

FFS, it was Southampton. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’ve read about 50 posts of yours in the last 24 hours criticising the club, so tell me what you’d actually like to see.

What do you want Attanasio to do as owner? What systems can he put in place to ensure success on our budget?

What do you want from Knapper? Who should he choose as manager, what playing style should he ask for and should he rigidly impose that on all age groups or value flexibility?

While Wagner is here should he always set the team up in an attacking manner, or should he change his tactics to suit the opposition? What would be your starting XI for our next league game?

I’d like Attanasio to be able to be able to complete the takeover, not this absolute joke we’ve got right now of 3 year exit plans and shuffling feet from our current owners, a truly unheard of situation within football O can’t think of (has it actually been resolved what’s happening with it yet?) if you are watching my posts so diligently you’ll notice I’ve never had anything bad to say about Mark, I feel sorry for him that he’s encountering this sort of weird resistance from our owners. I’m amazed he’s stuck around. I’d like him to put some actual football people on the board, not the wasters we currently have on there. We need proper footballing direction at this club. We have no effective leadership at the top of this club and it’s bled into everything else we are doing.

I don’t have an opinion on knapper, I don’t want him to do ten interviews a week, he’s only just got through the door and he’s in a nightmare. Let’s see what he does but I do very much suspect his hands are well and truly tied and he may very well have been lied to several times about the club during the employment process lol.

I believe a manager managing Norwich in the championship should have at least some attacking ethos and have the ability to impose ourselves on a game. This should be our league. Wagner has no style, he’s just making it up as he goes along, even by his own admission (6 minutes practice) that’s not a functional football club, that’s a joke.

The next home game is a home cup game versus Bristol Rovers so I’d expect Wagner to once again put all the names in a hat and just pick them out at random and then have 80%ers justify a 1-1 draw hailing  it a “tactical masterclass”

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes, you're right and Norwich City can't be blamed for that. It's what has happened to English football as a result of TV money. If we do eventually employ a manager who is good enough to get us promoted and keep us up he will leave for bigger and better things. 

I must admit to being content with Championship football. That wasn't the case 20 years ago but I'm really not interested in watching us battle for survival and ultimately fail. 

As for Saturday's game, I do have some sympathy for the views of @ricardo

However, I go to Carrow Road to be entertained, not to sit in silence watching a game of attack v defence. To put it in perspective, we were playing Southampton at home in the Championship. 

The strength of our team is attacking players like Rowe, Sainz and Sargent. All 3 of those players would walk into the Southampton team but our manager seems to have been confused and thought we were playing Manchester City.

FFS, it was Southampton. 

I agree to an extent, I certainly wouldn’t want to see it very often. But I’m willing to accept it simply because we’ve been struggling of late, Southampton have been flying, and sitting back and letting them pass the ball sideways across the midfield and defence made sense in the circumstances. Despite people moaning that we had very little of the ball I still feel we had as many decent chances as them 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ricardo said:

Stop crying. The biggest proportion of your football supporting life will be watching fairly boring $hit. Its the small proportion of magical moments that make it all worth while.

You don’t have to have magical moments to be entertained though. Just having an attacking performance can do that. I enjoyed the Weds and Hudds games and that’s what I pay money for. 
Southampton didn’t look up to much defensively and had  we attacked them more, it would probably have been another 4-4.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I’d like Attanasio to be able to be able to complete the takeover, not this absolute joke we’ve got right now of 3 year exit plans and shuffling feet from our current owners, a truly unheard of situation within football O can’t think of (has it actually been resolved what’s happening with it yet?) if you are watching my posts so diligently you’ll notice I’ve never had anything bad to say about Mark, I feel sorry for him that he’s encountering this sort of weird resistance from our owners. I’m amazed he’s stuck around. I’d like him to put some actual football people on the board, not the wasters we currently have on there. We need proper footballing direction at this club. We have no effective leadership at the top of this club and it’s bled into everything else we are doing.

I don’t have an opinion on knapper, I don’t want him to do ten interviews a week, he’s only just got through the door and he’s in a nightmare. Let’s see what he does but I do very much suspect his hands are well and truly tied and he may very well have been lied to several times about the club during the employment process lol.

I believe a manager managing Norwich in the championship should have at least some attacking ethos and have the ability to impose ourselves on a game. This should be our league. Wagner has no style, he’s just making it up as he goes along, even by his own admission (6 minutes practice) that’s not a functional football club, that’s a joke.

The next home game is a home cup game versus Bristol Rovers so I’d expect Wagner to once again put all the names in a hat and just pick them out at random and then have 80%ers justify a 1-1 draw hailing  it a “tactical masterclass”

So who are these football people he should employ? What skills do need to be a football person, and why would Delia not be classed as one despite being involved in the game for 25 years? Do you want these board members to interfere get involved in the day to day running of the club or step back and leave that to Knapper and the manager?

Why do you assume Knapper was lied to? Any evidence to back this up?

You want a manager to always pick an attacking line up, even if due to the opposition that would likely lead to defeat? How does that tally up with wanting the club to be competitive and get promoted?

What is your favoured for our next league game? I said league for a reason as cups tend to get switched around. Let’s see how it compares to Wagner 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

So who are these football people he should employ? What skills do need to be a football person, and why would Delia not be classed as one despite being involved in the game for 25 years? Do you want these board members to interfere get involved in the day to day running of the club or step back and leave that to Knapper and the manager?

You want a manager to always pick an attacking line up, even if due to the opposition that would likely lead to defeat? How does that tally up with wanting the club to be competitive and get promoted?

What is your favoured for our next league game? I said league for a reason as cups tend to get switched around. Let’s see how it compares to Wagner 

He’s answered many questions and gets ten more to follow. Where do you think we’d be right now if Mark A wasn’t pumping in money after more dire business from Webber? 

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He’s answered many questions and gets ten more to follow. Where do you think we’d be right now if Mark A wasn’t pumping in money after more dire business from Webber? 

I don’t think he has answered anything though. He’s basically said he wants the perfect person in each position without specifying what that actually involves or what skills it requires.

How much money has Attanasio actually pumped in? From what I understand he’s just forwarded the parachute money payments that he will get back once we receive the last lot, and another bloc that he will get back if he doesn’t end up owning the club 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

For one thing Mark needs his people on the board. I take it he’s very much into analytics and “moneyball”, let’s have a more permanent representation for his contribution and maybe a reflection of that ethos he’s brought from baseball. At the moment the board is a bunch of hangers on and workshy failures. 

Even if Kapper has no money for January and, as has been muted, we may not even be able to afford to sack Wagner that’ll just be accepted by the day trippers. Then when Johnny Rowe gets sold for £5 million or less because we are desperate for cash it’ll be the same story again “never mind durrrr”

This acceptance that we are sliding, especially when you get a dramatic representation of it like treating Southanpton like they are 1970 Brazil, is really hurting the club. The apathy from the fanbase and the management at the whole thing stinks.

The fans that are concerned about the club are asking when do we start to not accept these slides on quality standards? The fact that so many people are lying to themselves week in week out making out everything’s fine is downright disturbing. I’m starting to feel I’m in a Norwich based version of 1984 or the prisoner.

What will be the 80%ers final straw be? When will they say, finally, that they’ve recognised we are in a decline and something must be done. 

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

For one thing Mark needs his people on the board. I take it he’s very much into analytics and “moneyball”, let’s have a more permanent representation for his contribution and maybe a reflection of that ethos he’s brought from baseball. At the moment the board is a bunch of hangers on and workshy failures. 

Even if Kapper has no money for January and, as has been muted, we may not even be able to afford to sack Wagner that’ll just be accepted by the day trippers. Then when Johnny Rowe gets sold for £5 million or less because we are desperate for cash it’ll be the same story again “never mind durrrr”

This acceptance that we are sliding, especially when you get a dramatic representation of it like treating Southanpton like they are 1970 Brazil, is really hurting the club. The apathy from the fanbase and the management at the whole thing stinks.

The fans that are concerned about the club are asking when do we start to not accept these slides on quality standards? The fact that so many people are lying to themselves week in week out making out everything’s fine is downright disturbing. I’m starting to feel I’m in a Norwich based version of 1984 or the prisoner.

What will be the 80%ers final straw? When will they say, finally, that they’ve recognised we are in a decline and something must be done. 

I’ll ignore the last 4 paragraphs because it’s the same nonsense you’ve been spouting for a while, and doesn’t actually answer anything I’ve asked. However do you think the statistical analysis that they use in baseball is transferable to football? Baseball is a team sport but one that’s made up of individual battles much like cricket, however footballers are much more interdependent on the skills of their teammates. Pukki was fantastic for us for instance, but without Buendia setting him up he’d have probably only scored half the goals he actually did. If MA fills the board up with baseball chums is going to be successful on our budget? 

Just now, Fen Canary said:

I’ll ignore the last 4 paragraphs because it’s the same nonsense you’ve been spouting for a while, and doesn’t actually answer anything I’ve asked. However do you think the statistical analysis that they use in baseball is transferable to football? Baseball is a team sport but one that’s made up of individual battles much like cricket, however footballers are much more interdependent on the skills of their teammates. Pukki was fantastic for us for instance, but without Buendia setting him up he’d have probably only scored half the goals he actually did. If MA fills the board up with baseball chums is going to be successful on our budget? 

You’ll ignore the last 4 paragraphs like you are ignoring all of the glaring obvious problems at this club. Day trippers at the beach burying their heads in the sand. Are we going to have to lose embarrassingly to Ipswich for people to finally see? Do we have to hit absolute rock bottom again? Is it going to take a Colchester moment for the shawls and the thermoses to finally be put down and for the eyes to finally be open?

If Mark Attanasio has no representation and no control then why is he investing in this club? What’s in it for him? He has to be allowed to dictate what he wants for the club if not then he might as well drop out and let the cook reign for 25 more years.

We are going to have to hit some sort of mental rock bottom before the day trippers wake up and it’s so unfortunate, it doesn’t have to be that way. Does none of what’s going on fee familiar to anyone? We’ve literally done this before, we let our standards slip and we ended up in league one and literally held the future of the club in our hands we nearly, nearly we’re at best permanently crippled as a club. Have we got to skirt that again to renew our standards in quality.

We SHOULD swagger in this league, we should be confident in this league but we are cowed the fans are COWED the players are COWED the leadership of this club are Cowards and I feel SORRY for Knapper.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

You’ll ignore the last 4 paragraphs like you are ignoring all of the glaring obvious problems at this club. Day trippers at the beach burying their heads in the sand. Are we going to have to lose embarrassingly to Ipswich for people to finally see? Do we have to hit absolute rock bottom again? Is it going to take a Colchester moment for the shawls and the thermoses to finally be put down and for the eyes to finally be open?

If Mark Attanasio has no representation and no control then why is he investing in this club? What’s in it for him? He has to be allowed to dictate what he wants for the club if not then he might as well drop out and let the cook reign for 25 more years.

We are going to have to hit some sort of mental rock bottom before the day trippers wake up and it’s so unfortunate, it doesn’t have to be that way. Does none of what’s going on fee familiar to anyone? We’ve literally done this before, we let our standards slip and we ended up in league one and literally held the future of the club in our hands we nearly, nearly we’re at best permanently crippled as a club. Have we got to skirt that again to renew our standards in quality.

We SHOULD swagger in this league, we should be confident in this league but we are cowed the fans are COWED the players are COWED the leadership of this club are Cowards and I feel SORRY for Knapper.

So do you think the Moneyball stuff will transfer to football? In baseball you can see on average how many home runs a person hits a season and juggle the budget accordingly to on paper get the most points for the money available. I just can’t see how that equates to a game like football where everyone is reliant on everybody else.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You don’t have to have magical moments to be entertained though. Just having an attacking performance can do that. I enjoyed the Weds and Hudds games and that’s what I pay money for. 
Southampton didn’t look up to much defensively and had  we attacked them more, it would probably have been another 4-4.

Quite. We clearly set ourselves out for a 0-0. Even after 20 mins Saints started to look a bit unsure and started shooting from weird angles. We created good situations everytime we attacked; had a goal disallowed, a good shout for a penalty and Sainz had a decent chance. And that was from a few minutes of possession!

Again we sit back 2nd half and finally we switch off and gift them a goal. As soon as Sargent, Rowe and Idah started to run at them they looked well dodgy at the back with their 3 CBs looking pretty useless.

Those magical moments Ricardo refers to are the result of us being brave - remember that win against Man City? Wagner's desperation to keep his job seems to be his main focus, not the club's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Quite. We clearly set ourselves out for a 0-0. Even after 20 mins Saints started to look a bit unsure and started shooting from weird angles. We created good situations everytime we attacked; had a goal disallowed, a good shout for a penalty and Sainz had a decent chance. And that was from a few minutes of possession!

Again we sit back 2nd half and finally we switch off and gift them a goal. As soon as Sargent, Rowe and Idah started to run at them they looked well dodgy at the back with their 3 CBs looking pretty useless.

Those magical moments Ricardo refers to are the result of us being brave - remember that win against Man City? Wagner's desperation to keep his job seems to be his main focus, not the club's.

Yes that one match was great viewing, unfortunately around 30 others that season was absolute tripe. I don’t personally enjoy watching a heroic defeat, I always go home much happier after grinding out a 1-0 win than I do watching a 4-3 defeat 

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I disagree with this Ricardo. As a Norwich fan over the last 70 years you’ve probably seen the most promotions and relegations of any team in English football. You’ve seen us lift 5 trophies by my count which is more than probably 75% of the clubs in those years. We hold the record for most promotions and relegations too and from the Prem. We’ve won at Wembley twice, beaten Bayern away, how many other clubs of our size can claim the same? 

This is true, yet still there are large numbers who remain dissatisfied every time there is a downturn in our fortunes. I guess its human nature to want the good without the bad but that isn't the way life or football works.

As individuals we can have little effect upon the fortunes of our club. We can protest and even withdraw our support and even kid ourselves that by these actions we are affecting change. The truth however is that most if us are just along for the ride and long experience tells me it won't always be comfortable.

There is no magic wand.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Exactly, every time we broke at them, they didn’t have an answer. We have the players capable to be more attacking than this. I was pleased with a draw, but we all know the players we have are better than what is being produced.

Wagner is trying to find a formula that is going to get us on one of them runs that he is sometimes capable of. But it’s not working at the moment and the constant changes are effecting the team. I hope with Sargent back, we can play how we did at the start of the season.

Perhaps the best test of the headline is how many of the away fans at Ipswich 3 weeks ago will turn up for the Bristol Rovers match.

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

So who are these football people he should employ? What skills do need to be a football person, and why would Delia not be classed as one despite being involved in the game for 25 years?

Indeed that’s a relevant point and yet our two most successful periods under her & MWJ tenure came when the club hit rock bottom and required a major change in the boardroom!

A positive by the owners or forced upon them because of circumstances, now we have MA involved and hopefully to take full charge soon.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed that’s a relevant point and yet our two most successful periods under her & MWJ tenure came when the club hit rock bottom and required a major change in the boardroom!

A positive by the owners or forced upon them because of circumstances, now we have MA involved and hopefully to take full charge soon.

But does that not imply that they are flexible enough to realise when things have gone wrong a fixed it accordingly by bringing in those with more expertise?

Ive always got the impression that are owners are rather hands off, leaving the actual day to day running to those beneath them such as McNally and Webber. Whether that’s always the correct decision is obviously open to debate but I think for most Managing or Sporting Directors they’d rather that than the opposite. We’ll see how involved Attanasio is or whether he leaves Knapper to his own devices 

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

But does that not imply that they are flexible enough to realise when things have gone wrong a fixed it accordingly by bringing in those with more expertise?

Ive always got the impression that are owners are rather hands off, leaving the actual day to day running to those beneath them such as McNally and Webber. Whether that’s always the correct decision is obviously open to debate but I think for most Managing or Sporting Directors they’d rather that than the opposite. We’ll see how involved Attanasio is or whether he leaves Knapper to his own devices 

That’s a really good question are they flexible or have to hit a point where there’s no option?

Whichever it is only answerable by the owners and we will never know! That aside I think once they get a successful scenario its possibly followed to long, maybe a business model like DuPont implemented with a continuous improvement process to review the business constantly to stop it stagnating and collapsing should have been tried! 
All opinions and let’s be honest it’s football, it’s Delia & MWJ who have had the control and it’s been their baby for the past 27 years, hard to let go I expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

a business model like DuPont implemented with a continuous improvement process to review the business constantly to stop it stagnating and collapsing should have been tried! 

They have the opportunity now to progress under such a model but that damn "majority shareholder concord" is a major block on things. Let's hope Attanasio can pursue this eventually, but do we really have to wait until 2026 until he gets that chance? We could potentially be in League 2 by then .............. 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

This is true, yet still there are large numbers who remain dissatisfied every time there is a downturn in our fortunes. I guess its human nature to want the good without the bad but that isn't the way life or football works.

As individuals we can have little effect upon the fortunes of our club. We can protest and even withdraw our support and even kid ourselves that by these actions we are affecting change. The truth however is that most if us are just along for the ride and long experience tells me it won't always be comfortable.

There is no magic wand.

Well just because something is bad doesn’t make it boring. Some of the seasons where we’ve been scrapping for our survival at the bottom of various leagues have been some of the most exciting season. You feel as a fan that every point counts so invest in getting those points. I think part of the malaise at the club at the moment is there is a sense that it doesn’t really matter what we do as we are not going up or down. We are in limbo. 

I think a large part of the fan base is disgruntled because we are not getting value for money in a few aspects. 1) we pay the 13th highest average season ticket price in the country yet are don’t get 13th best team in the country results. 2) we have the 5th highest wage budget in the championship behind the relegated trio and Watford. Yet we are not getting a 5th best in the league effort from the squad. We also have the 4th highest paid manager in the Championship if you believe reports and get nowhere near 4th best manager results. 

Fans expected return on the pitch based on their and their clubs respective investment are not being matched by the output from the club. This creates discourse between the club and the supporter base. 

5 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

But the football hasn't always been good. Lol Morgan was my first manager (and I can't remember much) but Ron Saunders came soon afterwards and he certainly didn't play attractive football. My Dad refused to take me anymore because he thought it was so bad (luckily my uncle took me instead). But he was the manager who got us promoted to the top league (Division One in those days) and Wembley for the first time. 

Chris Hughton took us to our highest finish in the Premier league but it was hardly flowing, attacking football.

The truth of the matter is that those posters complaining about a boring match are almost exactly the same posters who would have moaned if we have lost!

21 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

They have the opportunity now to progress under such a model but that damn "majority shareholder concord" is a major block on things. Let's hope Attanasio can pursue this eventually, but do we really have to wait until 2026 until he gets that chance? We could potentially be in League 2 by then .............. 😉 

Given the amount of money that we owe him, I suspect that anything he really wants he gets, whether or not he has a majority shareholding atm. As someone said, "when you've got them by the balls the heart and mind usually follows."

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Given the amount of money that we owe him, I suspect that anything he really wants he gets, whether or not he has a majority shareholding atm. As someone said, "when you've got them by the balls the heart and mind usually follows."

I get that the money is owed yet where is the 25 million from transfers and the last TV premier money in all this? I thought the money was borrowed against this so the actual money owed to MA could be a lot less than can be repaid if we need to? Thought we netted around 70 million in sales and tv against that 90 million we owe?

Just now, Indy said:

I get that the money is owed yet where is the 25 million from transfers and the last TV premier money in all this? I thought the money was borrowed against this so the actual money owed to MA could be a lot less than can be repaid if we need to? Thought we netted around 70 million in sales and tv against that 90 million we owe?

I explained in the Accounts thread, that the TV money will pay down much of the £96m owed at the end of last season. Unless things go very wrong over the next few months (i.e. season ticket sales for next season absolutely bomb, another lockdown), the only debt by the end of the season will be to Attanasio et al, and will be around £45m, of which £10m is the Pref shares, with the rest no doubt re-scheduled to not be repayable immediately. Yes, as Badger commented to me in another thread, Attanasio has the club by the balls, but at least its no-one outside of the club holding them. For now ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badger said:

But the football hasn't always been good. Lol Morgan was my first manager (and I can't remember much) but Ron Saunders came soon afterwards and he certainly didn't play attractive football. My Dad refused to take me anymore because he thought it was so bad (luckily my uncle took me instead). But he was the manager who got us promoted to the top league (Division One in those days) and Wembley for the first time. 

Chris Hughton took us to our highest finish in the Premier league but it was hardly flowing, attacking football.

The truth of the matter is that those posters complaining about a boring match are almost exactly the same posters who would have moaned if we have lost!

As I’ve said in reply to Ricardo. Football doesn’t need to be good to be exciting it can be bad also and still be exciting. I think the element which really makes it exciting is if there are stakes involved. Unusually for us we seem to not be threatening either end of the table with any real conviction. That combined with the law of diminishing returns and our perceived lack of value for money is exactly what creates the atmosphere of apathy we have at the moment. 

Football under Roeder was awful but the crowd was louder than it is now. We were gripped by the threat of relegation we were passionate, we were angry but the one thing we were not was apathetic to our cause.