Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Our goal yesterday

The run by Sargent on the shoulder of the defender and the through ball by Rowe reminded me of the combination that we saw between Buendia & Pukki.

Let's hope we see more.

*Apologies for sounding positive. 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The run by Sargent on the shoulder of the defender and the through ball by Rowe reminded me of the combination that we saw between Buendia & Pukki.

Let's hope we see more.

*Apologies for sounding positive. 😀

It was a lovely goal. 

It would have been better if we had tried to attack and create more chances. We have the two aforementioned players that can create and score so we should go at the opposition hard.

Was such a great finish, 20+ goals a season at this level and we've been forced to play without him.  Hopefully people will start to appreciate what a massive impact that has been on this team.

• Like 3

I thought the same; telepathic connection between Rowe & Sargent on that occasion. Looked so straightforward - top performers tend to make things look easy don't they? When he first arrived, I thought Sarge was no more than a League One player, gotta say I'm delighted to see him doing well!

• Like 1

It was excellent movement from Rowe and Sargent but Sara should also be applauded for moving it first time on receiving the ball back into Rowe's path. Sometimes i'm critical of Sara wanting too many touches.

5 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I thought the same; telepathic connection between Rowe & Sargent on that occasion. Looked so straightforward - top performers tend to make things look easy don't they? When he first arrived, I thought Sarge was no more than a League One player, gotta say I'm delighted to see him doing well!

Absolutely this point. Football's a simple game - all Wagner's complications are making us negative. Return to playing to player's strengths, build the relationship between players. None of this impenetrable five at the back, deep blocks with midfielders shackled to the edge of our penalty area nonsense - WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It was excellent movement from Rowe and Sargent but Sara should also be applauded for moving it first time on receiving the ball back into Rowe's path. Sometimes i'm critical of Sara wanting too many touches.

Yes, couldn't remember who in our promotion team to attribute that to, probably Kenny or Skipp.

It was a good counter-attack, aided by the fact we'd tempted so many of their players forward and we were able to break at pace against backpedalling opposition.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When watching it live, I actually thought Sara had given the ball away, Rowe did well to pick it back up.

34 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Was such a great finish, 20+ goals a season at this level and we've been forced to play without him.  Hopefully people will start to appreciate what a massive impact that has been on this team.

Unfortunately this just emphasises our poor recruitment in the summer. Most thought that we needed to sign another striker, one that could provide back up to Sargent. If we had, perhaps we wouldn't have found ourselves in the situation we did when he got injured. Instead we signed defenders and midfield players who cannot, and do not deserve to, get into the team. 

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Unfortunately this just emphasises our poor recruitment in the summer. Most thought that we needed to sign another striker, one that could provide back up to Sargent. If we had, perhaps we wouldn't have found ourselves in the situation we did when he got injured. Instead we signed defenders and midfield players who cannot, and do not deserve to, get into the team. 

We did sign a striker.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We did sign a striker.

But only when Sargent got injured. Not one that we were ever looking to sign until we were forced into it. Even then Hwang does not play in a similar style to Sargent. We set up at the start of the season to play with Sargent up front and when he got injured the whole system fell apart. 

37 minutes ago, Conrad said:

But only when Sargent got injured. Not one that we were ever looking to sign until we were forced into it. Even then Hwang does not play in a similar style to Sargent. We set up at the start of the season to play with Sargent up front and when he got injured the whole system fell apart. 

We signed Ashley Barnes, who is a striker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

We set up at the start of the season to play with Sargent up front and when he got injured the whole system fell apart. 

Sarge is a 20+ goals a season player at this level, You can't just reel a player like that in on our budget.  Particularly with the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Saints circling the waters.  We've got many seasons with Pukki being our sole man, and we would've fallen apart massively without either him or Emi under Farke.

Reports said we were after Cannon,  but Leicester would always be able to raise 500k more than us so we got outbid.

There has been some poor recruiting here over the past few years, and some really poor player management examples too.  But Sarge's injury was just bad luck, particularly as Barnes was injured so soon afterwards.

56 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We signed Ashley Barnes, who is a striker.

Your missing the point. Barnes is not a similar striker to Sargent. We signed Barnes to play with Sargent, not replace him when injured. 

• Like 1

Just now, Google Bot said:

Sarge is a 20+ goals a season player at this level, You can't just reel a player like that in on our budget.  Particularly with the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Saints circling the waters.  We've got many seasons with Pukki being our sole man, and we would've fallen apart massively without either him or Emi under Farke.

Reports said we were after Cannon,  but Leicester would always be able to raise 500k more than us so we got outbid.

There has been some poor recruiting here over the past few years, and some really poor player management examples too.  But Sarge's injury was just bad luck, particularly as Barnes was injured so soon afterwards.

Clearly we would probably not be able to sign a striker as good as Sargent (and I didn't suggest that) but we could have signed someone who played in a similar way. That way we could have continued to play the same system rather than trying to fit square pegs into round holes. 

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Your missing the point. Barnes is not a similar striker to Sargent. We signed Barnes to play with Sargent, not replace him when injured. 

How many strikers do you want??? We have Sargent, Barnes and Idah, but we also need more of different types? Who are we going to attract on our budget with three already in the squad, so they’re unlikely to get much playing time?

Sara, Sargent, and Rowe what we need now is someone more dynamic than either Barnes or Idah

It was a very well executed goal and agree it seemed similar to the Emi - Teemu connection - with a good CDM yo plug the hole infront of the CBs and Sarg, Sainz and Rowe marauding forward we should becoming a serious force once the CDM is signed and upto speed 

7 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Clearly we would probably not be able to sign a striker as good as Sargent (and I didn't suggest that) but we could have signed someone who played in a similar way

If we could, why do you think we didn't?

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

How many strikers do you want??? We have Sargent, Barnes and Idah, but we also need more of different types? Who are we going to attract on our budget with three already in the squad, so they’re unlikely to get much playing time?

Barnes and Idah don't play in the same way as Sargent. At the start of the season our whole system of play was based on Sargent remaining fit and playing at the same level. The fact that he didn't meant that we have fallen away so badly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If we could, why do you think we didn't?

Because they thought that Idah could do the job when there was no evidence that he could. 

Just now, Conrad said:

Because they thought that Idah could do the job when there was no evidence that he could. 

Then why would we have been chasing Cannon's signature if that was the case?

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Then why would we have been chasing Cannon's signature if that was the case?

That supports my point. No direct replacement who could play in a similar style to Sargent (even one not potentially as good). By trying to get another striker indicates that there was some recognition that what we had wasn't sufficient. I don't know how hard the club tried, but we didn't get one and have subsequently suffered for it. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Conrad said:

That supports my point.

Depends what your point is, if it's that we had no cover for Sarge then it's not a unique viewpoint and something that all supporters knew heading in to the season.  As we did all those seasons with so much reliance on Pukki.

However, many people are forgetting that Sarge is as important to Wagner as Pukki was to Farke.

But that aside, I actually read that you point is that we could have signed a like for like replacement but we didn't as we thought Idah was capable.   So this is why I asked if that was the case then why were we out for players like Cannon?

The answer is that we yes we clearly tried, but it's incredibly hard to pick up someone better than Idah and more around Sarge's skillset who is also a goal scorer.  It's made much much harder that there's at least 3 bigger teams who'd sign that same player as a reserve option.

Hwang was a panic buy as everything else landed on it's face.  And I do get the gamble on a loan like that, being that it's better to have someone who can score goals than nothing at all.  But as everyone was saying coming out of pre-season - the starting 11 are good enough, but beyond that it's all a bit messy and a mismatch of players and positions.

I think it's time to celebrate having our squad back, and less pondering on what happened and let's look forward to this January window and being able to see whether the high scoring/more exciting 11 we had start of the season make a return to push us into the top six!

It's really nothing new for this club to be relying on a key player or two.  And currently I think that either Sarge or Sara out of this team is a massive blow.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Barnes and Idah don't play in the same way as Sargent. At the start of the season our whole system of play was based on Sargent remaining fit and playing at the same level. The fact that he didn't meant that we have fallen away so badly. 

Barnes has all the agility of a fridge and runs out of breath after being on the pitch for more than 20 minutes and Idah.. Well.. Still waiting for him to forfill all the promise he once seemed to have

37 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

let's look forward to this January window and being able to see whether the high scoring/more exciting 11 we had start of the season make a return to push us into the top six!

I'm all for this.

Positivity.

36 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Depends what your point is, if it's that we had no cover for Sarge then it's not a unique viewpoint and something that all supporters knew heading in to the season.  As we did all those seasons with so much reliance on Pukki.

However, many people are forgetting that Sarge is as important to Wagner as Pukki was to Farke.

But that aside, I actually read that you point is that we could have signed a like for like replacement but we didn't as we thought Idah was capable.   So this is why I asked if that was the case then why were we out for players like Cannon?

The answer is that we yes we clearly tried, but it's incredibly hard to pick up someone better than Idah and more around Sarge's skillset who is also a goal scorer.  It's made much much harder that there's at least 3 bigger teams who'd sign that same player as a reserve option.

Hwang was a panic buy as everything else landed on it's face.  And I do get the gamble on a loan like that, being that it's better to have someone who can score goals than nothing at all.  But as everyone was saying coming out of pre-season - the starting 11 are good enough, but beyond that it's all a bit messy and a mismatch of players and positions.

I think it's time to celebrate having our squad back, and less pondering on what happened and let's look forward to this January window and being able to see whether the high scoring/more exciting 11 we had start of the season make a return to push us into the top six!

It's really nothing new for this club to be relying on a key player or two.  And currently I think that either Sarge or Sara out of this team is a massive blow.

That's putting it better than I obviously did. Thank you. The only possibility point that I would make is that perhaps the Club didn't consider Idah to be an adequate replacement as they apparently did look around for an alternative. Just didn't get one. 

• Like 1