Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

"The players lost their heads"

So that's it. The only excuse? Nothing to do with changing up the formation and players? Nothing to do with tactics? The reason we lost to a team that were 20th in the table and had only won two home matches all season was down to "ohhhh scary millwall"?

We lost because we had no answer to them sitting back and every now and again, catching us on the break.

Even in the final 20 mins with all the "names" on the field and we were really pushing, it felt inevitable that we were never going to score

He's partially right though. Barnes whips up the Millwall crowd the rest is history.

2 matches we've thrown away through discipline issues. It's not a happy camp.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's partially right though. Barnes whips up the Millwall crowd the rest is history.

Funny how we had the Ipswich match and we had the match which had Wagner running on the pitch with all the players hugging and kissing him and everyone agreeing that the "The players hate Wagner there's drama behind the scenes" narative was dead and buried and yet now..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The chances are we’d have lost to WBA whatever, and for me yesterday was far more down to rubbish play together with robotic, pedestrian, predictable tactics.  That’s what cost us.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

i think some of it with Barnes he is frustrated he is not the player he once was and he knows it ,

we can not afford someone on Big wages who only strength is being a cheerleader for the rest of the team ,

he does not score enough for a striker and he does not assist enough , 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

…rubbish play together with robotic, pedestrian, predictable tactics.  That’s what cost us.

That’s what’s been costing us for much of this season. I can stomach 0-1 defeats here and there provided we’ve actually played football and shown some character/style/personality  in the process;

Much of the time I suspect Wagner’s ‘plan A’ is ‘fulfil the fixture’. 

I want him gone. 

7 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think some of it with Barnes he is frustrated he is not the player he once was and he knows it ,

we can not afford someone on Big wages who only strength is being a cheerleader for the rest of the team ,

He looked 'good' in that new look Burnley team who probably carried him. He's a higher focal point here and failing miserably at this level. 

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He looked 'good' in that new look Burnley team who probably carried him. He's a higher focal point here and failing miserably at this level. 

he had been there a long time settled knew the club already impressed and loved by fans 

you are right carried by team etc and had a manager who knew how to get the best out of him ,

Never has scored many goals which for me was a red flag for me  one thing i hate is Non scoring Forwards ,

if they are Non scoring forwards they have to make a lot of chances for others unless they are a dead weight ,

Not just Barnes Argos on the wing does he score  rarely ok does he make chances rarely does he have a end product rarely 

waste of wages 

3 minutes ago, mrdi said:

That’s what’s been costing us for much of this season. I can stomach 0-1 defeats here and there provided we’ve actually played football and shown some character/style/personality  in the process;

Much of the time I suspect Wagner’s ‘plan A’ is ‘fulfil the fixture’. 

I want him gone. 

Imo we definitely don’t play the way we thought we would under Wagner - ie a fast, pressing game.

It really is ridiculously slow and laborious - second half yesterday we had a huge amount of possession but created next to nothing because we are so ‘ploddy’. 

The odd thing is that I remember, in preseason at Barnet, seeing us run through drill after drill of quick breakaways.  I’m sure we have it in us to play far better and quicker but for some reason just arent doing it enough.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Imo we definitely don’t play the way we thought we would under Wagner - ie a fast, pressing game.

It really is ridiculously slow and laborious - second half yesterday we had a huge amount of possession but created next to nothing because we are so ‘ploddy’. 

The odd thing is that I remember, in preseason at Barnet, seeing us run through drill after drill of quick breakaways.  I’m sure we have it in us to play far better and quicker but for some reason just arent doing it enough.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

i agree the slower we are the easier it is to play against ,

the fast zippy passing opening up teams is a long way off ,

we should be wearing teams out with so much possession as they should be chasing shadows all game but not with us so slow passing ,

they just sit back and hold position wait for the normal mistake and counter ,

Too many ordinary players under an equally ordinary coach. Expect nothing now without another Grant Holt/Paul Lambert miracle or a Pukki/Buendia/Farke lightning strike coming along.

Hapless Smith and Jones have run out of lives and only a fool would believe anything different.

6 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Too many ordinary players under an equally ordinary coach. Expect nothing now without another Grant Holt/Paul Lambert miracle or a Pukki/Buendia/Farke lightning strike coming along.

Hapless Smith and Jones have run out of lives and only a fool would believe anything different.

Not lost just yet for me 

This is season is over but we need to rebuild for next ASAP get targets for jan if possible or summer at the least 

maybe sign some frees early for the summer so we know they are coming 

New Manager ,

Either build around Rowe and Sara or rebuild with Money from their sales ,

Ship out all Deadwood Gibson , Barnes ( might find someone on a free ? ) PP ,Argos , maybe Duffy 

trim the high earners down,

Extend contracts of Rowe and Sara make them the top earners as they perform and worth the most if they will stay ,

decide who is going in Summer and play youth players in their positions to unearth anyone who might be able to step up next season 

Recruitment has to be Key for us to make a successful season next summer  ,

once we are safe but not going up ( which is unlikely ) players like PP and Argos and players with no end product are not played what is the point ? 

No, the players did not lose their heads: Barnes did. Barnes, who was brought in to act as a mentor and inspiration to our younger players,  and who is doing little other than show them how to be a complete a*sehole.

Interesting that last game Wagner made it known that he would be having a word with Sainz about his lack of discipline. I didn't hear him say he would be having a word with Barnes. He's probably scared he'll get head-butted.

Edited by canarybubbles

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Spot on. With Idah, Hwang and now USA all chomping at the bit to start, it will be very interesting to see how Wagner plays the Barnes card. If he continues to start (as he has done every league game when fit from memory) then that is unforgiveable. 

2 hours ago, debbie does norwich said:

We lost because we had no answer to them sitting back and every now and again, catching us on the break.

Even in the final 20 mins with all the "names" on the field and we were really pushing, it felt inevitable that we were never going to score

That's it. A naive delusion that Millwall would come out of their shell and open up. They didn't and certainly did not ever intend to. So what do we do ? Fnny about with it on the halfway line, hoping that a long ball by McLean or Sara could get behind their defence for someone to run onto.

Anyone watching the game would have seen we had a few 'near misses', but overall we huffed and puffed to no benefit. We only appeared to take the game to them when Rowe came on. If the idea was that we would go toe to toe with them then bring on the 'quality' to finish them off, it failed. We need those players on to begin with. Get our noses in front and oblige them to open up to try and avoid defeat.

When R Norfolk commentary was on the stream, Daryl Russel became yet another in a long line of co-commentators pointing out how 'open' we are - not marking, That resulted in their goal and Gunn making an incredible save from an unmarked player. And a note of caution. As much as Angus is a Norwich lad I fear he may well be off sooner than we think, as we will not be able to match the wages and PL status he will be getting offered

Wagner needs to drop this lunatic 'no marking' tactic, it will cost him his job.

22 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

No, the players did not lose their heads: Barnes did. Barnes, who was brought in to act as a mentor and inspiration to our younger players,  and who is doing little other than show them how to be a complete a*sehole.

Interesting that last game Wagner made it known that he would be having a word with Sainz about his lack of discipline. I didn't hear him say he would be having a word with Barnes. He's probably scared he'll get head-butted.

Barnes was hooked at h/t against WBA because of Sainz so probably feels he's done enough.

It will be interesting to see the team selection for Southampton. Personally I wouldn't start either Barnes or Sainz.

If only he could stand close to the pitch and get a message to the players he selected.  What on earth is Knapper seeing that prevents him appointing someone with aspirations beyond boring mediocrity.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The chances are we’d have lost to WBA whatever, and for me yesterday was far more down to rubbish play together with robotic, pedestrian, predictable tactics.  That’s what cost us.

Seconded on both counts.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Barnes was hooked at h/t against WBA because of Sainz so probably feels he's done enough.

It will be interesting to see the team selection for Southampton. Personally I wouldn't start either Barnes or Sainz.

Southampton is pretty much a free hit. Might as well play the under 21's

Wagner lost his head when he filled out his team sheet.

In fact, I suspect he lost his head during that historically awful run at Schalke which included the worst ever start to a season in Bundesliga history. And he's not found it since. But for being mates with a busted flush of a Sporting Director, he'd be sat on the managerial scrap heap wondering whether his pride will allow him to accept a regional German job or a gig in League Two.