Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Delia on Desert Island Discs

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

You can't complain about her music choices so far.

I like 80% of her choices.

• Haha 3

The problem with Desert Island Discs is that it's too long with boring guests or too short for people who are interesting. 

I thought Delia was interesting and I could happily have listened to an extra hour. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

The last one I'm not that keen on but the rest were good for me.👍

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I forgot to post this at the time. Something I heard the other week that explained your name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001tgp0

Always loved the Black Shuck tales-walking to the beach on the lonely road betwixt the marsh at Brancaster always got me & my friends into something of a state once we started to wind each other up about it, if the wind was blowing and it was a starless night, well......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's thought possible that the story of the Black Dog of Bungay is in some way responsible for the interest in Satan in the town. It made national news after the last census. 

There are numerous variations around the East Coast of a black dog. Shuck is another name for the devil.  The Hound of the Baskerville's was the same - supposedly inspired by a visit to Cromer by Conan Doyle

An aside to this was my local years back having a bell near the hatch which would ring for you to collect your food, seved in a plastic 'basket'. The bell was known as the sound of the basket meals.

Delia's music choice

DISC ONE: The Sound of Silence - Paul Simon

DISC TWO: Within You Without You - The Beatles

DISC THREE: Gnossienne No 1. Composed by Erik Satie and performed by Alexandre Tharaud

DISC FOUR: Caruso – composed by Lucio Dalla and performed by Luciano Pavarotti

DISC FIVE: Kyrie: Call To Prayer – Muezzin from the Muhammad Ali Mosque, Cairo. Performed by Bournemouth Symphony Chorus, Choristers of St. George's Chapel, Windsor and composed by David Fanshawe

DISC SIX: This Woman's Work - Kate Bush

DISC SEVEN: He Moved Through the Fair - Sinéad O'Connor

DISC EIGHT: Happy - Pharrell Williams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RobJames said:

There are numerous variations around the East Coast of a black dog. Shuck is another name for the devil.  The Hound of the Baskerville's was the same - supposedly inspired by a visit to Cromer by Conan Doyle

An aside to this was my local years back having a bell near the hatch which would ring for you to collect your food, seved in a plastic 'basket'. The bell was known as the sound of the basket meals.

Delia's music choice

DISC ONE: The Sound of Silence - Paul Simon

DISC TWO: Within You Without You - The Beatles

DISC THREE: Gnossienne No 1. Composed by Erik Satie and performed by Alexandre Tharaud

DISC FOUR: Caruso – composed by Lucio Dalla and performed by Luciano Pavarotti

DISC FIVE: Kyrie: Call To Prayer – Muezzin from the Muhammad Ali Mosque, Cairo. Performed by Bournemouth Symphony Chorus, Choristers of St. George's Chapel, Windsor and composed by David Fanshawe

DISC SIX: This Woman's Work - Kate Bush

DISC SEVEN: He Moved Through the Fair - Sinéad O'Connor

DISC EIGHT: Happy - Pharrell Williams

I like the choice generally but of all the superb Beatles song to pick one of Harrison"s Indian-influenced dirges... 

6 hours ago, Badger said:

It only took me 6 hours to get that.🐢😳😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I like the choice generally but of all the superb Beatles song to pick one of Harrison"s Indian-influenced dirges... 

Reported.

(only joking, Midlands)

I suspect Delia likes the philosophy of that song. Merely a steward of the football club, after all.

"We were talking about the love that's gone so cold
And the people who gain the world and lose their soul
They don't know
They can't see
Are you one of them?
"

Clearly about the 20%

"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
Peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And [NCFC] flows on within you and without you
"

Preach, Deels.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Reported.

(only joking, Midlands)

I suspect Delia likes the philosophy of that song. Merely a steward of the football club, after all.

"We were talking about the love that's gone so cold
And the people who gain the world and lose their soul
They don't know
They can't see
Are you one of them?"

Clearly about the 20%

"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
Peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And [NCFC] flows on within you and without you"

Preach, Deels.

Ha! Seriously, I suspect the quasi-religious message did attract her, but even so...😞

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's thought possible that the story of the Black Dog of Bungay is in some way responsible for the interest in Satan in the town. It made national news after the last census. 

It seems there’s Black Shuck stories all over east Anglia - isn’t it Blythburgh where there’s meant to be marks on the door that were left by the hound?

24 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It seems there’s Black Shuck stories all over east Anglia - isn’t it Blythburgh where there’s meant to be marks on the door that were left by the hound?

Yes. That was the Black Dog of Bungay that ran across the marshes and ripped apart the church congregation in Blythburgh. It scratched the door on the way in and was kind enough to go back and scratch the replacement door many years later😂

• Haha 3

One of The song being on play list is--- Knees up mother brown while doing the Congo with the happy  Carrow road fans 

16 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Anyone who loves This Woman's Work is OK with me.... absolutely brilliant tune

Kate Bush, and that song in particular, is one of the only artists that can bring a tear to this grizzly, old farts eye. Tremendous piece of music.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes. That was the Black Dog of Bungay that ran across the marshes and ripped apart the church congregation in Blythburgh. It scratched the door on the way in and was kind enough to go back and scratch the replacement door many years later😂

…perhaps it got annoyed with the replacement?!  I do like the Darkness song with the lyric ‘Black Shuck, that dog don’t give a f**k’.

• Haha 2