Worthy Nigelton

More good than bad

We're a decent team with some deficiencies but it's nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

This is a team with one defeat in six, that defeat we led 2-0 and with our first choice GK, we would have won that too. We led Leeds 2-0, we were a dodgy last minute penalty away from beating Saints. We've had Hanley, Sargent, Barnes, Nunez, Gunn, Rowe, Sainz out on long or longish term injuries. We're one of the highest scorers in the league. We're three points from the play-offs. We've got rid of the toxic Webber. The players are playing for Wagner. We create chances easily.

Now the bad... We lack steel. Duffy is horrific. We're too open on occasions. We lack confidence. We tend to go on bad runs of games. Performances have not been good enough generally speaking.

All told, with players returning, confidence also returning and if the fans get behind them, I believe we're one of the better teams in the league. 

And we can beat that lot on Saturday. We'll need to play well and need a bit of luck, but they concede easily, so there's goals in it for us. That is for sure.

OTBC.

• Like 3

Isn't the truth that, some shocking performances aside, we generally beat the weak teams and lose to the better ones? Classic mid-table fodder at the moment, though perhaps a bit better than that with the players coming back. Said 8th or 9th at the start of the season, I think, and still think that's where we'll end up.

Can't see us getting anything on Saturday, but I guess anything can happen in a derby. OTBC.

• Like 3

Disagree with your view on Duffy. Bailed Gunn out when Gunn was disposed of the ball. He then cleared off the line from the resulting corner McClean was beaten for the flick on from their throw in.. Sainz scored a wonderful goal after 7mins & then we retreat to defend our 1-0 lead. The only time I felt that we were in control was when the referee disappeared for the 4mins in the second half!

Gibbs to re-enforce midfield and to replace semi-supersub Idah.

The only change on Sat. for me.

We have the knack of creating and scoring in equal proportions of giving away sloppy goals. Tighten that up, Wagner, and we might have even more cause for getting p-issed on Sat, 

They seem so confident, What a bubble to burst. We never assumed such arrogance in all our years of dominance.

That was against the 23rd best team in the league. We lost on nearly all stats. We are going to get humped on Saturday and he’ll be sacked.

The top four are in a league of their own but places 5 and 6 are up for grabs. Can we do it I doubt it but I think we are maybe a few canny loan signings from having as good a shot as any of the other teams around us.

That was a fairly decent starting 11 except Fisher who was simply out of his depth. The trouble is that the bench was incredibly weak so there was nothing to call on when the players tired. We created plenty of chances and defended pretty well, but then the substitutions made us so much worse all over the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

That was against the 23rd best team in the league. We lost on nearly all stats. We are going to get humped on Saturday and he’ll be sacked.

Other than goals for, goals against, shots on target, and the overall scoreline. We also missed an absolute sitter.

13 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

I agree. Albeit not confident they’d sack him even if humiliated 

I'm fully prepared for the loss on Saturday but I hope people recognise how poor it is to win one football match against a rival in fifteen years. 

Personally, I'd be humble and mildly embarrassed if I was an Ipswich fan.

Edited by Chelm Canary

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Other than goals for, goals against, shots on target, and the overall scoreline. We also missed an absolute sitter.

Think we missed two or perhaps three sitters from where I was sat.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S27 said:

Disagree with your view on Duffy. Bailed Gunn out when Gunn was disposed of the ball. He then cleared off the line from the resulting corner McClean was beaten for the flick on from their throw in.. Sainz scored a wonderful goal after 7mins & then we retreat to defend our 1-0 lead. The only time I felt that we were in control was when the referee disappeared for the 4mins in the second half!

He’s a great shot stopper and header of the ball, but he can’t pass for ****.

2 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Think we missed two or perhaps three sitters from where I was sat.

Can't remember Wednesday actually having many high quality chances despite those desperately clinging onto the number of shots off-target stat.

Definitely a period in the first half where we looked like the same old Norwich, but overall we won that game at a canter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

Can't remember Wednesday actually having many high quality chances despite those desperately clinging onto the number of shots off-target stat.

Definitely a period in the first half where we looked like the same old Norwich, but overall we won that game at a canter.

My observation exactly. We certainly 'dropped off' at times but it never really felt Wednesday were going to get back into it.

We also took off arguably our 4 best players with 15-20 minutes to go.  

• Like 1

It seems to me the more youthful our team gets the better it looks. It's hard to imagine any scenario where Sainz and Rowe shouldn't be starting if fit, especially when the other options are Fassnacht and Onel.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Don't let the form table upset your negativity.

image.png.0361a305716e88ef9af8806aeb721459.png