Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Remembering Roger Munby

Roger was a dear friend of mine and my thoughts turned to him over the last week or so since the AGM (although they often do) and then seeing that the Colemans/NCFC relationship was being rekindled, a relationship that was first forged by Roger when he was Marketing Director at Colemans and a Director at NCFC prior to his term as Chairman, I was driven to re-read an article from the Athletic that pretty much encapsulated everything he was about.  I have taken the opportunity to include some of the more poignant passages here.

“The best tribute to Munby’s role at Norwich, however, would be to remember the principles he operated by and to ensure that however things are playing out on the pitch, the relationship and connection between club and supporters should always transcend it.

“Re-establishing the connection between supporters and the club was crucial to him — not just in the city but across Norfolk, where Norwich represents the only professional football presence for one million people.”

“There were question-and-answer roadshows hosted by Munby with other staff and directors to build bridges, while his penchant for a pre-match cigarette doubled up as a regular opportunity to engage with supporters as he stood outside the City Stand.”

“It is worth mentioning BBC Radio Norfolk’s lovely tribute on The Scrimmage, which included the tale of Munby discovering that a group of supporters had broken down on their way to a game at Coventry in November 2005 and to make up for their likely second-half arrival, he described the first-half action to them over a telephone.

Over the last 12 years or so before his passing I attended matches with Roger and there were occasions when it would take us best part of an hour to circumnavigate the ground from the car park to the Directors’ entrance, simply because so many people would stop him to chat, and almost to a supporter he recalled their name.  He also regaled me with many stories, most of which were brilliantly humourous.  Perhaps most poignantly he told of times, when playing away, he would stand outside the away supporters entrance and thank them all for their support.

Certainly over the last few years of his life and later, when his attendance became directly correlated to the temperature on the day, he often expressed concerns over the lack of supporter engagement.  In my opinion the club needs another Roger, hopefully Mr Attanasio is that man.

• Like 5

Yes, Yes, Yes! 

A brilliant post which is why I was glad to get the roadshows back on the Agenda as per my question at last year's AGM. 

All backed up by the ebullient Andy Cullen. That's why the Portsmouth fans are happy.

I won't forget coming out of Riverside after a miserable, cold 2-0 defeat to Middlesbrough in December 2004 and seeing Roger Munby stood outside the turnstile shaking the hands of supporters and thanking them for making the journey.

• Like 2

I remember the last game of the 2007/08 season away to Sheffield Wednesday, it was the game when Dion retired & was Hucks last game for us. When I came out of the ground after the game, Roger was outside the away end & he spoke to any of us who approached him. 

From what I've seen, there are similarities between Roger Munby and Mark Attanasio - friendly, amenable, engaging, gently-spoken, man-of-the-people etc.

NCFC would certainly benefit from having a true people-connector to guide future progress...

Edited by Norfolk Mustard

I remember Roger very well from the days when he chaired the SCG. A wonderful man who you could not help but like and who can forget how he defused the situation at the AGM when Roeder came out with his infamous ' I must have missed your tenure as England manager ' when questioned by a fan. Just maybe he would have smoothed over the inflammatory remarks of this year ?

Or Til, the inflammatory remarks may not have been made in the first place?? 

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

Or Til, the inflammatory remarks may not have been made in the first place?? 

Exactly.

All of us who followed City away from home during Roger's time will have stories to tell of his thoughtful kindness. I was at Coventry that day and we arrived a few minutes after kick off. There was Roger at the top of a grass bank welcoming us. It was a 'if you're going to miss it I'll miss it' statement.

But also a couple of seasons later we went to Luton and were waiting outside that blokes house in the pouring rain. We weren't allowed in because the electric had failed and they were waiting for an electrician. Suddenly Roger appeared. He stood getting soaked with us. He supported supporters when adversity struck. We were all in it together. 

Roger was a real man of the people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Top corner said:

I remember the last game of the 2007/08 season away to Sheffield Wednesday, it was the game when Dion retired & was Hucks last game for us. When I came out of the ground after the game, Roger was outside the away end & he spoke to any of us who approached him. 

Yes, was there also 👍 

Lovely gracious fella who I met on a number of occasions. Often said hello as he stood outside the directors entrance having a crafty cig... top bloke and very likable. 

Was a sad day when he passed away...

Lovely post Ray and heartwarming to hear such stories.

I moved into the house next door to Roger in 2018 and we went to introduce ourselves with my 3 year old daughter who was holding a cuddly toy fox. Standing in the entrance hallway Roger asked her  “so who is this teddy?”,  “it’s Mr Fox” she replied. Quick as you like he said “we once bought a Mr Fox. His name was Ruel!” 

Reading some of the messages posted on here, I feel very privileged he would ask me to go round and watch the games on tv with him.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I remember Roger very well from the days when he chaired the SCG. A wonderful man who you could not help but like and who can forget how he defused the situation at the AGM when Roeder came out with his infamous ' I must have missed your tenure as England manager ' when questioned by a fan. Just maybe he would have smoothed over the inflammatory remarks of this year ?

I can only endorse Mr Tilson’s comments as a fellow member of the SCG for 10 years. Roger was a true gentleman who always made time for supporters. This was always the case at home games and away games when the club coaches arrived.

In the last few years we would always shake hands and have a chat before the game across the directors box wall. 
A sad day for NCFC when he passed away and a sad day for the supporters, because he really cared about the fans- a void that has not been filled since.

NCFC TAKE NOTE !!!!!

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for sharing some wonderful memories, just that fact alone appears to have built a comradery, well done Roger.

I have shared these with Judy, Roger's wife, some of you may know her, and she is very touched👍

Again, thank you all.