Harry53

Sam McCullum. The Forgotten man

Am I the only fan who rates Sam? I feel he is a quality defender and is intelligent going forward. Why DW doesn't rate him,  and actually prefers Placheta as our 2nd choice left back is really harsh.

When, at times Dimi is or has had a bad game, Sam should be brought in. He is a better defender than Dimi and offers something different. 

If we get a new manager,  I hope Sam gets a chance. 

He must have something, young player of the year for QPR in his season there. 

Pretty good in the air for a left back and seems to create goals whenever he comes in, but certainly seems unfancied. 

I have heard tell that we owe Coventry a wedge of cash for a certain number of appearances, which is why he's become practically unplayable. Would make sense with the transfer rumours late in the window also.

It would be a shame to lose him,  but he needs games, however if his exclusion is purely down to finances, I feel that is very harsh on him. 

I like him. His main flaw for me is his lack of consistency; he'll look great one moment and then make a big mistake shortly after, but it's not like Giannoulis is reliable either. Once McCallum can cut out the errors, he'll be a good player. 

12 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I have heard tell that we owe Coventry a wedge of cash for a certain number of appearances, which is why he's become practically unplayable. Would make sense with the transfer rumours late in the window also.

I've heard that too, but no idea if it's accurate. When we signed him, it was reported that the 'up to £3m' fee was heavily incentive/clause based, but is that just people putting two and two together and getting five?

He has made 26 league appearances and 32 overall, so I'm not sure what milestone could be approaching for another payment to be triggered. 

Sara, Sargent and Rowe apart we seem to have an abundance of players whose overall contribution amounts to much of a muchness. Kenny has made it an art and is rightly the stalwart of the team, but the rest seem to be interchangeable with little effect. They all have their specifics and their moments, but there do not seem to be many that the fans would shed a tear for should they leave the club tomorrow.

This is all emphasised by the manager's in-out approach to the starting line-up. Perhaps he has caused it by indecision and an ability to recognise a coherent unit. Perhaps it is down to the scouting and consequent signings being somewhat lacking in recent times. Financial restraints always have their influence as well.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I like him. His main flaw for me is his lack of consistency; he'll look great one moment and then make a big mistake shortly after, but it's not like Giannoulis is reliable either. Once McCallum can cut out the errors, he'll be a good player. 

I've heard that too, but no idea if it's accurate. When we signed him, it was reported that the 'up to £3m' fee was heavily incentive/clause based, but is that just people putting two and two together and getting five?

He has made 26 league appearances and 32 overall, so I'm not sure what milestone could be approaching for another payment to be triggered. 

Yeah, I had a look at his appearances too in the hopes of some sort of sign but there isn't much to go on. Perhaps 30 league appearances? I can't believe we've look at Dimi, who isn't that consistent, and Placheta who is Placheta and ruled McCallum entirely on ability alone.

Either way, he's moved up priority in the 'Missing Persons' list at Norwich as its now been proven Shane Duffy hasn't been pouring superglue all over Danny Batths bench seat

It can't help his confidence when a winger is played out of position ahead of him, unless he truly was the better option, which is hard to believe.

I have often wondered why we don't play Dimi as a wide midfielder/winger as he does for Greece. Then Sam can play his defensive role. They can support each other in attack and defending. Then tuck Rowe alongside Idah as a 10

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

He must have something, young player of the year for QPR in his season there. 

Pretty good in the air for a left back and seems to create goals whenever he comes in, but certainly seems unfancied. 

I think he possibly has the attributes to solve our Gibson dilemma, I think he could be tried as a left sided CB, he has enough presence. Perhaps one reason we are not seeing him at LB as he is being coached into the CB role?

I also don't doubt there is a big wedge owed to Coventry based on appearances. That £69m contingent liability is too large not to.

Edited by shefcanary

Despite the changes working on Saturday I would prefer him to be as a emergency left CB than McLean

7 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

His games for us are 26, and 31 if you include League Cup games

Neither figure suggests an imminent 'milestone' that would have been put into the transfer deal.

Wagner does seem to have this trait of making up his mind on a player and never changing it. McCallum is clearly a step up on Placheta and should have played against Cardiff. Crazy that we're effectively down to just 1 LB.

He seems to be doing the same with Sainz as well now.

8 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Am I the only fan who rates Sam? I feel he is a quality defender and is intelligent going forward. Why DW doesn't rate him,  and actually prefers Placheta as our 2nd choice left back is really harsh.

When, at times Dimi is or has had a bad game, Sam should be brought in. He is a better defender than Dimi and offers something different. 

Yes is the answer to your initial question!

No, he isn't that good. 

He's like so many others who have shown they are not up to the standard we want and need. But the the more he doesn't play the better he will be perceived to be.

10 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Yeah he’s crud 

14 hours ago, Harry53 said:

I would agree that he is not a bad player,certainly better at LB than Placheta. 

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Try him as a cdm. He's versatile. Strong and can tackle.

Anybody please.

We could do a lot worse