cambridgeshire canary

Wagner has the full support of Delia and Michael

What was the alternative?

”Hello Dave, we’ve been gash for weeks and you appear to be using a bingo machine to pick the team, but, we’re waiting on the new dude to come in before we give you the Spanish archer, so… If you could just tread water this weekend and try and win a f***ing game before we sack you on Monday, y’know, that’d be great…”

I suppose they could just have not rung… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

What was the alternative?

”Hello Dave, we’ve been gash for weeks and you appear to be using a bingo machine to pick the team, but, we’re waiting on the new dude to come in before we give you the Spanish archer, so… If you could just tread water this weekend and try and win a f***ing game before we sack you on Monday, y’know, that’d be great…”

I suppose they could just have not rung… 

Definitely didn’t need to call. 

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

History is littered with the stories of football managers given the sack just days after their boards offer full support.

With owners far more savvy or ruthless than ours 

Michael and Delia put a team together to run the club then let them run it. Savvy or ruthless would be down to that team. This is recognised when we're doing well but when we're doing badly they are suddenly in the firing line again. 

One of the most acrimonious manager departures was Paul Lambert. Bowkett and McNally were really vocal about it with Bowkett finally reigning in his ire after lawyers got involved. There was suing and counter suing from both sides. And yet despite all that and his touchline performance with the binners Lambert made sure he attended Michael and Delia's 25 year dinner. We are lucky to have them.

Of course it's changing now. Assuming Attanasio eventually owns the club do we want him to be an interfering savvy and ruthless owner? Or do we want him to put a team in place to run the club?

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Michael and Delia put a team together to run the club then let them run it. Savvy or ruthless would be down to that team. This is recognised when we're doing well but when we're doing badly they are suddenly in the firing line again. 

One of the most acrimonious manager departures was Paul Lambert. Bowkett and McNally were really vocal about it with Bowkett finally reigning in his ire after lawyers got involved. There was suing and counter suing from both sides. And yet despite all that and his touchline performance with the binners Lambert made sure he attended Michael and Delia's 25 year dinner. We are lucky to have them.

Of course it's changing now. Assuming Attanasio eventually owns the club do we want him to be an interfering savvy and ruthless owner? Or do we want him to put a team in place to run the club?

i think D & MWJ are missing a Chairman to be in-between them and the manager ,

Webber seems to have gone AWOL so it seems it was left to Delia and MWJ to do his dirty work for him  ,

i do not blame them they respect the employees , Webber is the man who hired him should of fired him 

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i think D & MWJ are missing a Chairman to be in-between them and the manager ,

Webber seems to have gone AWOL so it seems it was left to Delia and MWJ to do his dirty work for him  ,

i do not blame them they respect the employees , Webber is the man who hired him should of fired him 

So...

Delia and MWJ are hated, abused and blamed when we're on a bad spell, ignored when we're doing ok, and if they're lucky, treated to a handful of cursory platitudes when we win the league. What a job to put all that personal money, time and energy into. It's almost like they genuinely love the club and want what's best for it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you not think it’s naive of them to ring the manager and offer their support, at this stage of the game?

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So...

i think you need a chairman to keep a eye out for Owner make sure those who are running club are kept a eye on ,

But you need to be Ruthless in business sure be a nice owner when you can be , but you will get taken for a ride if to nice 

Edited by norfolkngood

4 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Do you not think it’s naive of them to ring the manager and offer their support, at this stage of the game?

Webber downed tools ages ago nobody else to phone Wagner

18 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Practice makes perfect, perhaps Farke got a similar call before the knives were sharpened. 

14 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Not in the least. And I don't think he's naive enough not to know what they are saying.

I think maybe you are viewing this in a naive way. Delia and Michael weren't responsible for hiring him and if he goes won't be responsible for firing him.

27 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think you need a chairman to keep a eye out for Owner make sure those who are running club are kept a eye on ,

But you need to be Ruthless in business sure be a nice owner when you can be , but you will get taken for a ride if to nice 

So are you saying you would like the owner to run the club with a team of puppets rather than put a team together to to run the club like we do?

They say football goes through cycles. Welcome back Robert Chase.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Delia and MWJ are hated, abused and blamed when we're on a bad spell, ignored when we're doing ok, and if they're lucky, treated to a handful of cursory platitudes when we win the league. What a job to put all that personal money, time and energy into. It's almost like they genuinely love the club and want what's best for it...

They decided to enter one of the most high profile and high pressure businesses, admittedly at a time when NCFC's fortunes were at a low ebb, so they deserve some respect for that. But having thrown their hat into the ring, they have to play by the rules and take the good with the bad. 

At the end of the day, they have been the majority shareholders, so even if they relinquish day-to-day control to a Chairman or SD or whomever, the buck still stops with them and ultimately they are accountable for the whole show.

• Like 1

I hope they're offering him full support. They should be up until the SD decides he wants rid of the manager.

Unless, contrary to the last 25 years of complaints with little evidence, we now want our owners who the same posters claim are clueless in football matters, making football decisions instead of the guy employed to do it?

Up until then Wagner should be given everything possible to succeed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Not in the least. And I don't think he's naive enough not to know what they are saying.

I think maybe you are viewing this in a naive way. Delia and Michael weren't responsible for hiring him and if he goes won't be responsible for firing him.

God you’d defend anything they do. Really sad to have no objectivity. 

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

God you’d defend anything they do. Really sad to have no objectivity. 

I'm not God.

My objectivity doesn't have to be your objectivity. I do at least explain objectively my opinion. You don't. And you don't appear to have the slightest idea how to handle opinions different to yours. 

Do you wail and stamp your feet a lot too?

• Haha 2

Everyone knows that they run the club when things are bad and take a back seat when things are good. Things were good under Webber but since Farke went she has clearly reasserted her authority and had both hands firmly on the tiller. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Harry S Truman had a sign on his desk that read "The Buck Stops Here", do Delia and MWJ have a similar sign? or do they abdicate all responsibility and let Webber (who hired him and begged him to stay?) take all the blame?..............

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Harry S Truman had a sign on his desk that read "The Buck Stops Here", do Delia and MWJ have a similar sign? or do they abdicate all responsibility and let Webber (who hired him and begged him to stay?) take all the blame?..............

Harry S Truman nuked Japan. I don't think Delia and MWJ will do that either.

3 hours ago, S_81 said:

Definitely didn’t need to call. 

Is it possible that it was a mid-dial, they never meant to call him? And to save face they gave him some bumf about how they’re fully behind him?

8 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I suppose it was naive of me to expect a sensible reply...............

The sensible reply to what I think you're asking is what I have posted earlier. Delia and Michael put a team together to run the club. They let that team run the club. If the buck stops there then it stops there throughout the last 25 years. All those glorious seasons and all the rubbish ones. My objective view is that they are in credit. 

Having said that, Harry S Truman got the reply it deserved.

Edited by nutty nigel

49 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Everyone knows that they run the club when things are bad and take a back seat when things are good. Things were good under Webber but since Farke went she has clearly reasserted her authority and had both hands firmly on the tiller. 

When the promotions came they couldn’t get enough camera time but tend to hide when the sh1t hits the fan. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The sensible reply to what I think you're asking is what I have posted earlier. Delia and Michael put a team together to run the club. They let that team run the club. If the buck stops there then it stops there throughout the last 25 years. All those glorious seasons and all the rubbish ones. My objective view is that they are in credit. 

Having said that, Harry S Truman got the reply it deserved.

I disagree re Harry S Truman, the buck stops with whoever is at the very top of an organisation. I agree Delia and MWJ should take the praise for the high points of their 25 year reign, equally they should also be held to account for the low points. I just wonder if Delia and MWJ let their personal love for an individual cloud their judgement, apparently Stu is a lovely man, my response is that maybe the case in their opinion but after a good start he has messed up big time, what are you going to do about it?. The danger is that when they finally leave NCFC they leave it in a worse position than when they took over. I have never stopped supporting NCFC and never will, couldn't give a flying fig about those who say that people like me are part of the problem, but equally I am have no issue with voicing my concerns and my personal opinion is that Delia and MWJ are part of the reason why the club finds itself in it current position...................

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As always. 

People always claim to want objective sensible replies when what they really want is for their opinion to be agreed.

I'm out of sensible objective replies for today. Please use the helpful translator I gave you the other day..