Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Plymouth launch five year plan to become established team

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/argyle-launch-new-five-year-plan

Wait.. You're telling me clubs can be open and talk about their plans, thoughts and ideas with their fans? That clubs can in fact communicate and be open and honest with fans about goings on behind the scenes? Is that a thing? And that some clubs have dreams, goals and ambitions?

Sounds like a really alien and strange concept to me..🙃

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wait.. You're telling me clubs can be open and talk about their plans, thoughts and ideas with their fans? That clubs can in fact communicate and be open and honest with fans about goings on behind the scenes? Is that a thing? And that some clubs have dreams, goals and ambitions?

Is the the Why arent we Plymouth? thread or will you start that one in a minute. 

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Financial strength and the word sustainable are something Argyle fans will have heard me mention multiple times. Our beliefs will never sway from this principle as it is vitally important the club moves forward in a way that is financially viable."

Not sure that this would go down well on here!

Edited by Badger
Inserted "go"

Interesting stuff but also fluff and puff, I wouldn't use it as a stick to beat our club with as there isn't too much substance there. However this jumped out a bit...

After being successful, it is important not to look for drastic changes when you have found a blueprint that works. This new strategy evolves our previous plan but looks towards how we can become a top six Championship club with Premier League aspirations.”

Can't see that level of transparency catching on!🤢

They need someone like Webber to go there and teach them how it should be done🥶

1 minute ago, Badger said:

"Financial strength and the word sustainable are something Argyle fans will have heard me mention multiple times. Our beliefs will never sway from this principle as it is vitally important the club moves forward in a way that is financially viable."

Not sure that this would down well on here!

Don't think I have heard those three words said before.. Anyone know what they mean?

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not sure that this would down well on here!

We don’t have to worry about that because we’ve gone from being in zero debt three seasons ago to almost 100 million in debt now. Completely unsustainable. 

• Like 1

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We don’t have to worry about that because we’ve gone from being in zero debt three seasons ago to almost 100 million in debt now. Completely unsustainable. 

Agree. IMO it's irresponsible to acquire this much debt.

With current interest rates, it's quite possible that we will pay more in interest than we receive in gate receipts. 

Agree. IMO it's irresponsible to acquire this much debt.

With current interest rates, it's quite possible that we will pay more in interest than we receive in gate receipts. 

I don’t think any other buisness would be around if they lost 641k a week for 3 seasons outside of football. Completely agree it’s irresponsible. All this from a guy who lambasted McNally for the exact same thing. Now when he’s made it happen he’s turned tail to run like a rat from a sinking ship. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Yeah, the notion we are a well run club has very quickly gone out the window.

Sadly, many of our fans still think we are.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don’t think any other buisness would be around if they lost 641k a week for 3 seasons outside of football. Completely agree it’s irresponsible. All this from a guy who lambasted McNally for the exact same thing. Now when he’s made it happen he’s turned tail to run like a rat from a sinking ship. 

The budget will have been agreed at board level - the SD could not spend money without BOD approval, so he cannot be blamed for th debt.

Obviously the players we bought are his responsibility, but buying players of premier league quality is always a struggle for newly-promoted club. IMO, the biggest fault was deciding upon a strategy of "risking the future, with a gamble on the present."

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ah the old head in the sand brigade. Plenty of those around in life. Sadly some people just never shift away from views even if the obvious is starring them in the face. A quick look at politics shows you that. 

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

The budget will have been agreed at board level - the SD could not spend money without BOD approval, so he cannot be blamed for th debt.

Obviously the players we bought are his responsibility, but buying players of premier league quality is always a struggle for newly-promoted club. IMO, the biggest fault was deciding upon a strategy of "risking the future, with a gamble on the present."

It’s not like he had S&J wrapped around his little finger is it. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Yeah I agree it’s joint mismanagement for sure. Just ironic how Webber spoke of McNally then objectively leaves us in a worse place than he did. 

The trouble was we gambled it all on players who were nowhere near premier league level. I know for a 100% fact the second season we went up Farke asked for 4 players to be bought and 5 if we lost Emi. He asked for a ball winning CB to upgrade our defence, a replacement for Skipp, an additional striker to take the weight off of Pukki and a Number 10 to replace Steiperman. Rather than that he got 11 players nowhere near the level he wanted or asked for. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think some people confuse the distinction between a nice community club and a well run club.

Try this from the first S&J Annual Report of 1998. Do they still live by these principles?

At least the roadshows have returned so perhaps there is hope.

20231107_102338.jpg

Edited by essex canary

17 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Try this from the first S&J Annual Report of 1998. Do they still live by these principles?

20231107_102338.jpg

A new level  of technical  incompetence  by you  , not a screenshot, but a shot of a screen....and you expect people to take you  seriously? ....you are/ were a proffessional  accountant?  Ye gods.!!

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Badger, Richens clearly stated in his infamous little club video on the financial position of the club that the agreed budget was a balanced budget. The only issue being at what line in the accounts was it balanced? To all intents and purposes, the club indeed broke even last financial year, a small £1.5m loss given the position in the previous season was actually quite a remarkable achievement with wages being reduced drastically. The loss, reading between the lines, was a failure of the commercial team to grow income in that area of the business, so not Stu's fault, but maybe his wife's? 

So Richens may well have been telling a truth.

However the splurge on players in the previous EPL season and the failure to obtain top dollar for Cantwell and Aarons to cover the resulting amortisation of that expenditure seems to have blown a massive hole in the overall budget, and the need to to tap Attanasio for funding. 

So, notwithstanding it appears the budget was there, the SD was in charge of blowing that budget on poor quality signings, for allowing Cantwell to be frozen out and for not ensuring Aarons was given the best support to continue to play at the top of his game, thus diminishing both players value to the club. 

The Webber's are culpable fully for the mess we are in!

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, essex canary said:

20231107_102338.jpg

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

A new level  of technical  incompetence  by you  , not a screenshot, but a shot of a screen....and you expect people to take you  seriously? ....you are/ were a proffessional  accountant?  Ye gods.!!

Beacause I am so nice I made a little guide for Essex. No need to thank me.

pint-screen.jpg

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Badger, Richens clearly stated in his infamous little club video on the financial position of the club that the agreed budget was a balanced budget. The only issue being at what line in the accounts was it balanced? To all intents and purposes, the club indeed broke even last financial year, a small £1.5m loss given the position in the previous season was actually quite a remarkable achievement with wages being reduced drastically. The loss, reading between the lines, was a failure of the commercial team to grow income in that area of the business, so not Stu's fault, but maybe his wife's? 

So Richens may well have been telling a truth.

However the splurge on players in the previous EPL season and the failure to obtain top dollar for Cantwell and Aarons to cover the resulting amortisation of that expenditure seems to have blown a massive hole in the overall budget, and the need to to tap Attanasio for funding. 

So, notwithstanding it appears the budget was there, the SD was in charge of blowing that budget on poor quality signings, for allowing Cantwell to be frozen out and for not ensuring Aarons was given the best support to continue to play at the top of his game, thus diminishing both players value to the club. 

The Webber's are culpable fully for the mess we are in!

Of Course they are. Gordon Bennett can anyone identify the economics textbook in which you raise ticket prices by 7% but matchday income declines by 7%.  

Stick that glossy Annual Report where the sun doesn't shine and go back to Gordon's principles. 

2 hours ago, SteveN8458 said:

Can't see that level of transparency catching on!🤢

They need someone like Webber to go there and teach them how it should be done🥶

I mean, it's literally exactly what Webber done when he came into the club.

The thing is, as soon as it stops working it gets mocked by fans anyway so it's ultimately pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Beacause I am so nice I made a little guide for Essex. No need to thank me.

pint-screen.jpg

I'll thank you anyway , as anyone who can be bothered to help that arrogant Gollum deserves praise, or sectioning.  

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'll thank you anyway , as anyone who can be bothered to help that arrogant Gollum deserves praise, or sectioning.  

When copied a message comes back that the reference to the Web page exceeds the maximum. Typical IT user unfriendly ineptitude.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This makes no sense Cambridge as the current setup at the club is extremely transparent 

the club have been very clear about their plans 

the club post regularly departmental updates with members of staff talking candidly about their roles 

the club hold regular support consultations 

i don’t get your post and I suspect you’re now trying to find something else to beat the club with now the Webber issue is resolved? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

This makes no sense Cambridge as the current setup at the club is extremely transparent 

the club have been very clear about their plans 

the club post regularly departmental updates with members of staff talking candidly about their roles 

the club hold regular support consultations 

i don’t get your post and I suspect you’re now trying to find something else to beat the club with now the Webber issue is resolved? 

It's all soft talk rather than hard numbers. Format over Substance rather than as it should be the other way around.

Back to the roadshows though may help.

Edited by essex canary

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

It's all soft talk rather than hard numbers. Format over Substance rather than as it should be the other way around.

Back to the roadshows though may help.

Sorry Essex but that sounds like management speak and I know you hate that. 

Cambridgeshire Canary accused NCFC of not being transparent, the club are very transparent. End. 

32 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Sorry Essex but that sounds like management speak and I know you hate that. 

Cambridgeshire Canary accused NCFC of not being transparent, the club are very transparent. End. 

For me there is far more transparency in the 1998 Accounts than the current publication. The former concludes with a clearly set out Table of Income and Expenditure over the previous 6 years in a format understandable by layman. The then CEO Gordon Bennett clearly sets out specific financial targets and staff participation and commitment to same for the next 5 years and invites challenge going forward. How can the current airy fairy effort be regarded as even remotely comparable?

Edited by essex canary

7 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Might suggest that all these things are a lot easier from the outside looking in.