So Wagner thinks yesterday was a good performance with lots of energy? Really? Not what others are saying, when people said the second half was woeful and players began to tire! 

Just shows how clueless this muppet is really!

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So Wagner thinks yesterday was a good performance with lots of energy? Really? Not what others are saying, when people said the second half was woeful and players began to tire! 

Just shows how clueless this muppet is really!

What gets me is the fact that this forum which basically comprises a bunch of laymen in footballing terms seems almost unanimous in the possible answers to many of the teams's current shortcomings.

Quite some number are able to see that there are defensive weaknesses, that the midfield is under-manned and that the pair of "relief" strikers offer very little. And that amounts to just the superficial problems.

Yet the manager, the one who is the professional and who is paid accordingly ploughs ahead with the same old.

Surely it is time to give both Batth and Forshaw a start and change things around a bit defensively? Surely it is time to try a.n.other player in the pivotal attacking position (a few alternatives have been mentioned after all) to see how it goes? Surely it is time to push Sara further forward from the outset and see just how this might work out?  

These changes might not be the answer, but with one win in eight they probably have more chance of improving things than not.

As it is the first substitution yesterday was, as  before, bringing on young Springett for Hernandez (who happened to be having an ok game.) A move this layman found quite staggeringly devoid of any tactical sense. The youngster seems useful and might well be a future star but, as yet, has offered insufficient to justify the manager's perseverence. In any case, I thought that Placheta had become the answer, or was it Fashnettt? But, then all of a  sudden the once nearly-forgotten Gibbs is in vogue?

He sure tinkers a lot nowadays, but with the wrong players in the wrong positions at the wrong times.Talk about being up the creek without a paddle. The man seems totally nonsystematic and all over the place and is also one who seems to get the worst from players rather than the best. 

Laymen need confidence in and not confusion from those who are supposed to have the know-how.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...we've conceded the joint most amount of goals in the league

...yet the manager neither can or wants to address that.

Picking that midfield was suicidal. We got lucky at half time , we could have been 3-2 down after Leeds repeatedly ran through our midfield and missed some easy chances.

Everyone could see that it couldnt be sustained in the second half except one man, who acted when it was too late.

If he continues to neglect the defensive aspect of the game it will ultimately cost him his job , and after failing in Germany ,you'd wonder where he would manage next.

He wont have a mate as a sporting director to throw him a 'jobd for the boys' anywhere else

Our defence has been absolutely woeful for many seasons, and this has remained unaddressed..

In this time, our ‘so-called’ attacking’ fullbacks have added nothing in the way of assists and goals (particularly Aarons), which has begged the question as to why do they bother, as it only leads to gaps at the back. I would exclude Stacey from any criticism.

We now appear to be a dream fixture for any team that has a slither of attacking nous. Leeds could have scored six or seven yesterday.

Without Sara and Rowe, this squad would be knee-deep in a relegation battle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

What gets me is the fact that this forum which basically comprises a bunch of laymen in footballing terms seems almost unanimous in the possible answers to many of the teams's current shortcomings.

Quite some number are able to see that there are defensive weaknesses, that the midfield is under-manned and that the pair of "relief" strikers offer very little. And that amounts to the superficial problems.

Yet the manager, the one who is the professional and who is paid accordingly ploughs ahead with the same old.

Surely it is time to give both Batth and Forshaw a start and change things around a bit defensively? Surely it is time to try a.n.other player in the pivotal attacking position (a few alternatives have been mentioned after all) to see how it goes? Surely it is time to push Sara further forward from the outset and see just how this might work out?  

These changes might not be the answer, but with one win in eight they probably have more chance of improving things than not.

As it is the first substitution yesterday was, as  before, bringing on young Springett for Hernandez (who happened to be having an ok game.) A move this layman found quite staggeringly devoid of any tactical sense. The youngster seems useful and might well be a future star but, as yet, has offered insufficient to justify the manager's perseverence. In any case, I thought that Placheta had become the answer, or was it Fashnettt? But, then all of a  sudden the once nearly-forgotten Gibbs is in vogue?

He sure tinkers a lot nowadays, but with the wrong players in the wrong positions at the wrong times.Talk about being up the creek without a paddle. The man seems totally nonsystematic and all over the place and is also one who seems to get the worst from players rather than the best. 

Laymen need confidence in and not confusion from those who are supposed to have the know-how.

Trouble is Broady, Batth & Foreshaw are both in their 30’s and don’t really offer any additional quality which is lacking. Good squad players but when you look at them including Hwang you have to question which players have actually improved us! Barnes probably the only one who’s had a good positive effect. Since losing him & Sarg the quality has shown.

Wagner is scared for whatever reason to make the major changes needed, I don’t want to see Batth & Foreshaw replace Gibson & McLean as it’s just like for like!  It’s time to really look at the squad and sit down to look at the strengths and build a system and team which can get the best results, being 2-0 up from the highlights was fortunate it could have been 2-2 at half time, but our team tired badly yesterday and that back CB pairing is terrible, slow to react and slow in pace!

I can’t give much optimism if a manager can’t see the shortcomings and make changes necessary, the definition of insanity (poor manager)  is to keep repeating the same thing over again expecting different results! But his post match statements make it look like he’s either not very good or pressured into keeping certain players in the starting 11 for some obscure reason!

Edited by Indy

19 minutes ago, unique said:

Our defence has been absolutely woeful for many seasons, and this has remained unaddressed..

In this time, our ‘so-called’ attacking’ fullbacks have added nothing in the way of assists and goals (particularly Aarons), which has begged the question as to why do they bother, as it only leads to gaps at the back. I would exclude Stacey from any criticism.

We now appear to be a dream fixture for any team that has a slither of attacking nous. Leeds could have scored six or seven yesterday.

Without Sara and Rowe, this squad would be knee-deep in a relegation battle. 

There was one season in fairly recent history where we had a good defence...Farke's 2nd championship season where we only conceded 36 (?) goals in 38 games.

One of the main reasons there being that we had thd bsst defensive midfielder in the league in Skipp in front of them

Now we have a manager who thinks we dont need one at all / thinks we can get away with playing McLean there

• Like 7

Said before that the problem we have is that we play with wingers AND overlapping fullbacks. Problem is, with Rowe being our best youngster and a winger, we need to keep playing them. For me, that's the kind of attacking formation you play when chasing a game, not when starting out.

2-0 up at 60 was the time to ditch one or both wingers and stiffen up the centre of the park. Long-term I'd like us to play the Christmas tree formation and have said this in the past too.

Surprised Springett came on when Placheta's pace would have been a better weapon for pushing a Leeds player or two back.

• Like 2

I'm surprised we haven't played Rowe as the main striker. Pukki started on the wing before it became clear he was the best striker we had and I think it would be similar for Rowe while also solving some of our biggest problems. We would be able to leave Idah and Hwang out and play two from Sainz, Fassnacht, Hernandez, Placheta and Springett. 

We're wasting Rowe by forcing him to do all that defensive work so we should be looking to give the hard running to the more replaceable players. 

• Like 1

Some really good points made.

I can't help thinking little will change until Knapper gets involved. It's needs a holistic view and Wagner is told 'no you are doing it wrong, change it'.

Webber seems to have done little, or doing little of late to steer us in the right direction. I have no idea what on earth we are trying to prove with playing style, squad structure or tactics.

It's a mess quite frankly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There was one season in fairly recent history where we had a good defence...Farke's 2nd championship season where we only conceded 36 (?) goals in 38 games.

One of the main reasons there being that we had thd bsst defensive midfielder in the league in Skipp in front of them

Now we have a manager who thinks we dont need one at all / thinks we can get away with playing McLean there

Exactly this. We found the way to play attractive,  but defensively sound football and we did it to brilliant effect.

Instead of building on that, accepting we couldn’t get Skipp and finding an adequate replacement, we destroyed all the good work in a matter of weeks without kicking a ball. We lost a good manager from that decision, replaced him with two poor fits and have wasted millions flailing around ever since.

We had the blueprint for success and we ripped  it up in the mistaken belief we had to change it entirely to compete in the PL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first half was excellent and I felt we were dominating the second half until they scored. I think the problem is, the system he plays is so high energy and high intensity that it takes players time to get up to speed with it off the bench (all the while admitting the subs are 9 times out of 10, crap). The same reasons are why the starting 11 tire so relatively quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We’re experiencing a season without a quick centre back and the money we got for Omo is just sitting there paying off interest on loans!     Awful how management have lost control.   

At least the money has a seat……..Omobamidele isn’t even catching splinters on the bench……

….and don’t consider transferring him into your Fantasy Football Squad as a ‘filler’ - he doesn’t exist……