Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

The TV thread

I've had a look to see if I can find a thread about TV but I can't find one. Feel free to post about anything you see that is worth a look whether it's a TV programme or film. The film thread is friendly and non judgemental so hopefully this will be the same. 

Winter is almost upon us so there are bound to be some big dramas on our screens soon. The Reckoning, about Jimmy Savile, starts today. I'll be watching, albeit with some misgivings. 

Other things recommended

The Long Shadow - a drama about the Yorkshire Ripper seen through the eyes of his victims. Compelling stuff. 

Ghosts - it may seem like silly humour but watch from the start and it's a little bit more. 

Detectorists - still available on iplayer. Simply the best gentle comedy series I've seen. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I only got into the Detectorists this year, but have now watched it a couple of times on the iplayer.

Ghosts is good - have you watched any of the US Ghosts which is also on the iplayer ? It's ok but prefer the UK version

One of my favourite comedies is Frasier and will be interested to see what the reboot is like.

Autumn always seems to be good for new things on tv.

3 minutes ago, AprilSkies said:

Hi,

I only got into the Detectorists this year, but have now watched it a couple of times on the iplayer.

Ghosts is good - have you watched any of the US Ghosts which is also on the iplayer ? It's ok but prefer the UK version

One of my favourite comedies is Frasier and will be interested to see what the reboot is like.

Autumn always seems to be good for new things on tv.

I'll have a look at the American version. I just googled Frasier and found out that Rodney from Only Fools and Horses is in it. How bizarre! 

It has to be something special, like the Detectorists or maybe just Toby Jones, to make we want to watch TV. I must admit I spend far more time listening to music, Youtube has everything, and watching sport.

If you have access to National geographic, then Bobi Wine, the People's President is a very good documentary. 

• Like 1

Mortimer & Whitehouse go Fishing, just finished but available on the iplayer.

I enjoyed the first episode of Union with David Olusoga (if it's on the iplayer 'A house through Time' is worth catching up on), I've learnt more about UK history from his programmes than I did at school.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I enjoyed the first episode of Union with David Olusoga (if it's on the iplayer 'A house through Time' is worth catching up on), I've learnt more about UK history from his programmes than I did at school.

Gone Fishing is another one that I enjoy, never had much interest in fishing but can quite happily watch Whitehouse & Mortimer, there is something that I find quite relaxing about it.

• Like 2

The Jimmy Savile programme is absolutely harrowing. I couldn't really see the point of making it but having seen it I've changed my mind. Not so much for what he did but how he got away with it. 

Anyone of the Catholic persuasion should probably avoid it unless they want to seriously consider their faith. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've had a look to see if I can find a thread about TV but I can't find one. Feel free to post about anything you see that is worth a look whether it's a TV programme or film. The film thread is friendly and non judgemental so hopefully this will be the same. 

Winter is almost upon us so there are bound to be some big dramas on our screens soon. The Reckoning, about Jimmy Savile, starts today. I'll be watching, albeit with some misgivings. 

Other things recommended

The Long Shadow - a drama about the Yorkshire Ripper seen through the eyes of his victims. Compelling stuff. 

Ghosts - it may seem like silly humour but watch from the start and it's a little bit more. 

Detectorists - still available on iplayer. Simply the best gentle comedy series I've seen. 

Agree with all of those.

The Long Shadow is a catalogue of disasters by West Yorkshire Police.

Detectorists one of the best TV series ever. Funny and poignant

Ghosts is a bit of a go too and the US one isn't bad either

I'm gonna throw another US series in that I absolutely love and don't hear much talk about. Modern Family. Very cleverly written and very funny.

Going back a few years, Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favourites too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Just watched the second episode and it's a very good history program with a great host. 👍

33 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The Long Shadow is a catalogue of disasters by West Yorkshire Police

When I was 18 I stayed overnight with a girlfriend in the female block at Leeds University. A girl was murdered nearby during the night and they questioned me for nearly an hour despite the fact that I'd been 13 or 14 at the time of the first murder. And I lived in Norwich. I should have been in and out in less than 5 minutes. They were incredibly stupid. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I'm gonna throw another US series in that I absolutely love and don't hear much talk about. Modern Family. Very cleverly written and very funny.

I've now got to find that song about Hayley do me 😀

Recall there was a thread about the final series of Succession a while back which prompted me to watch the whole lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Watched Bad Sisters a while back and would recommend, good craic !

• Like 1

To add to my original list, the C4 docudrama about Partygate was brilliant and Laura Kuenssberg's State of Chaos is well worth a watch. Available on iplayer 

• Like 1

Succession obvs. The Bear is superb, brilliant writing and acting, and we’ve just finished Beef on Netflix which gets better the more you watch.

Has anyone watched Boiling Point? Superficially it looks like a British version of The Bear.

Without any sport yesterday evening I binge watched 3 episodes of the Savile docu drama. Great work by Coogan and great work by the producers and giving us access to what was going on. It beggars belief that those in important places knew all the time.

Other than Gone Fishing the only things I go out of my way to watch are Fake Or Fortune and Britain's Lost Masterpiece. Art, history, science and detective work all in one. 👍

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Other than Gone Fishing the only things I go out of my way to watch are Fake Or Fortune and Britain's Lost Masterpiece. Art, history, science and detective work all in one. 👍

Hello Herman. If you like that sort of thing have a look at this series

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/nov/10/hannah-fry-secret-genius-of-modern-life-review-bank-cards

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Without any sport yesterday evening I binge watched 3 episodes of the Savile docu drama. Great work by Coogan and great work by the producers and giving us access to what was going on. It beggars belief that those in important places knew all the time.

I couldn't stand Thatcher but I wouldn't expect her to fall for it. She wouldn't listen to what her Senior Civil Servant told her. 

I agree with you, Coogan was extraordinary. He deserves a BAFTA but I'll eat my hat if he gets one. 

The PurpleCanary household finally got with it a few months back and acquired one of those smart TVs, so a fair bit of watching of Netflix, Prime Video, and the Paramount+ film channel. Some recommendations:

Kleo (Netflix) - fun series with an obsessed East German hitwoman.

The Terror - supernatural horror about the Franklin mission to find the north-west passage.

Godless - atmospheric western with Michelle Dockery and Jeff Daniels.

Queen Charlotte - better than the original Bridgerton.

The Diplomat - very sharply written political drama.

Two films with the much maligned Costener -  No Way Out and The Postman.

I Care a Lot - Rosamund Pike runs a healthcare scam in the US.

The Shadow in My Eye - Danish war film with a real emotional punch.

Steve Coogan giving it a go, but can't see the casting is correct there. Alan Partridge is not Jimmy!

Tried watching the Saville drama because I was morbidly curious about how Steve Coogan would play the role but I only made it an episode and a half in before I had to turn it off. That is seriously grim. We all know the stories but actually seeing it play out like that was just too much for me. I think it's a good thing that this show was made because it might wake a few people up to horrors like this that occur far too often in real life but I just can't bear to watch it knowing that it actually played out similarly in real life. I have a really high tolerance to messed up things so long as they're fiction but knowing this actually happened just made it unbearable. 

• Like 1

Julia Bradbury's Irish Journey on C4 at 8.30 on Saturday. 

I'd happily watch a programme about her hanging out the washing so should be good with some beautiful landscapes as well. 

One for @wcorkcanary

• Haha 1

Two episodes in The Fall of the House of Usher looks very promising, although it may be making the same mistake as Succession, of having all the men apart from the patriarch very stupid and all the women rather clever.

On 11/10/2023 at 16:21, PurpleCanary said:

The Terror - supernatural horror about the Franklin mission to find the north-west passage.

Kind of similar I'd recommend is the North Water. Set on a commercial whaler instead and remove the mythicial stuff

However are you aware of the Terror Season 2? If you are a fan of season 1 then you will be completely disappointed as it's not nothing to do with season 1. Different theme, time period, cast, style, genre. It does hold the mythicial stuff and is in fact a better TV show than season 1, but a little more harder to swallow.

3 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Kind of similar I'd recommend is the North Water. Set on a commercial whaler instead and remove the mythicial stuff

However are you aware of the Terror Season 2? If you are a fan of season 1 then you will be completely disappointed as it's not nothing to do with season 1. Different theme, time period, cast, style, genre. It does hold the mythicial stuff and is in fact a better TV show than season 1, but a little more harder to swallow.

Thanks, I will check out North Water. I had seen that about the supposed second series of The Terror.