Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Liam Gibbs; Our new striker?

Needs someone up top with a gas tank and a decent touch. Gibbs definitely has the gas tank (remember when he played the whole of a 2-hour pre-season friendly this time out?) and is decent on the ball.

And as for changing positions, he's had Placheta at left-back against Stoke.

I suspect the aim is someone up top who can run hard for prolonged periods to pressure the opposition defence, and if he gets the ball, hold it until the cavalry come up.

14 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's almost as if the transfer window is shut and half of our strikers are injured.

I mean, you have a point but at this rate we're gonna end up with Gunn trying it out up top

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What on earth is Wagners obbsession with trying to turnn non strikers into strikers?

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/23825129.norwich-city-liam-gibbs-interview-changing-position/

Because it's not turning them into traditional strikers if you ever read the links you post all over here.

He's essentially helping him become a more all-rounded midfielder who can play an attacking role if needed. An untraditional number 10, I guess.

• Like 1

Blackburn away last season is probably the best evidence we have for him in the second striker position. Certainly has the smarts and energy for it. I can see some argument for Nunez to take the 10 spot but Gibbs is clearly more of a Wagner player in that position.

11 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Blackburn away last season is probably the best evidence we have for him in the second striker position. Certainly has the smarts and energy for it. I can see some argument for Nunez to take the 10 spot but Gibbs is clearly more of a Wagner player in that position.

Would say Nunez is about as "traditional" a number 10 you could find. Either way, he's a deep-lying playmaker if Adam Idah's a centre-half.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Because it's not turning them into traditional strikers if you ever read the links you post all over here.

He's essentially helping him become a more all-rounded midfielder who can play an attacking role if needed. An untraditional number 10, I guess.

This.

10 minutes ago, daly said:

Can’t do any worse than Idah

I mean, he has scored two goals in two matches.. Sure two of them were in a match we lost six two in but.. Uh.. Ok I'm not sure what I'm getting at

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

30 minutes ago, daly said:

Can’t do any worse than Idah

One of the best goal-to-minute ratio's in the league. I'd suggest he could do much worse

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

One of the best goal-to-minute ratio's in the league. I'd suggest he could do much worse

i did say Hog in the Summer this was Idah's season !! and he might end up 1st choice  No 9 

(ok i have changed my mind about that statement about 10 times since ,but at the moment i stand by what i said ( wink ) ! )

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He runs around like a headless chicken

Sorry but just cannot see how he got 5 years guaranteed cash

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Read!?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

The days when players numbers and their action on the pitch was narrowly defined are long since gone - see Ginos almost goal from inside the 18 yard box. Sara who supposedly is a numbet 6 and a half was in the box to nod our first, and Rowe was way off the wing when he cut through and grabbed another goal. Look where the right back (Stacey) was when he scored.

It is more a case of shoot on sight, than the previous tip tap around the box until the opposition has everyone marked, then wonder why attacks fizzle out. . Yes we have seen a fair few shots end up in row z,. But if you get yourself into a chance at goal, then shoot. It is not a crime no more to miss, or to lose possession throuh giving away a goal kick.

I suspect Gibbs and others are being taught how to finish, and not be afraid to have a go either. Idah was an example of this in the first half. A couple of touches then bang. Something that worked the week before and came close on Saturday. More of the same, says I.