Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Birmingham

Its still shirt sleeve weather here in Norfolk but it was overcast and cloudy from about mid day so it was a reasonably pleasant ride down to the ground today. I wasn't surprised to see Placheta in the starting line up after his encouraging mid-week outing but Wagner still appears to be keeping Sainz under wraps.

The visitors appear to have improved upon last season according to all reports and the certainly looked a physically formidable side as play began. City dominated possession from the early stages but found difficulty in producing any real excitement in the Birmingham area. There were some nice sweeping moves with both fullbacks high up the pitch and although they stretched the visitors defence there was nothing incisive enough to cause John Ruddy much alarm. We were past the quarter hour mark before the crowd were given something to ohh! and aah! about, as Rowe came away in the centre circle and set Idah away in the company of two defenders. The big City striker got a low shot away from just outside the eighteen yard line but it whistled about a couple of feet outside Ruddy's lefthand post.

It livened things up a bit and a couple of minutes later the home side was unlucky not to snatch the lead. A long cross-field pass was headed into no mans land by the Brum right back and Gianoullis had a sharp chance as John Ruddy came out to narrow the angle. The City fullback lifted it over the keeper only for the ball to fall inches the wrong side of the post.

We had seen virtually nothing of the Birmingham attack up until now but they suddenly sprang forward and put a bit of pressure on just after the halfway stage. A cross from the right and a corner both skimmed across the home goal-mouth without anyone getting a touch and then a ball back in was ballooned miles over to relieve the danger.. Play quickly switched to the other end as City regained control and Sara got Placheta away down the left and his cross clipped off the top of the bar but remained in play. Stacey and Fassnacht picked up the pieces and when the cross came in Idah glanced a header on target but Ruddy was well positioned.

The home side upped the pressure as halftime approached but couldn't find a breakthrough although Gianoullis went close again when chesting down a cross in the box but could only fire the ball over the top and Placheta just wasn't tall enough as a deflected cross looped up over his head no more than a yard from the goal line. At the other end there was an over optimistic shout for a penalty when a low cross looped off a foot onto a hand but thankfully ref Gavin Ward wasn't impressed. All things considered It was a decent half with City looking the better side but without the cutting edge to enforce it.

City were immediately on the front foot when the second half began and the visitors had to defend a couple of corners as play became compressed in the Birmingham half but then the visitors had a great chance from a breakaway when Gunn stood strong as Stansfield cut into the box from the Birmingham left and the ball was hoofed away. Back at the other end Sara kept the pressure on with some astute passes and then got on the end of a Gianoullis cross to guide a deft header beyond Ruddys despairing dive to finally put a proper reflaction on proceedings.

Wagner now brought Onell and Hwang on for Fassnacht and Placheta  as the home side continued in the ascendancy with their tails up they  continued to press home their advantage. On the hour mark the Birmingham defence crumpled again when with sustained pressure down the right, Hwang got a foot in and the ball fell to Rowe who quickly skipped into the area and beat Ruddy with a low shot inside the near post to make it 2-0. It might have got even better but both Hwang and Idah could only fire over the bar when well placed by passes from Rowe and Sara

Wagner seemed to think it was enough because Forshaw came on for Idah with twenty minutes left but the visitors almost hit back when Miyoshi made space for himself in the area but could only bang his shot against the bar. In truth there weren't too many alarms but the over reliance on playing out from the back caused a few angry shouts of alarm from those around me in the upper River End. I am usually fairly placid but even I had difficulty keeping the naughty words in check.

Sainz and Batth came on for the final knockings but didn't really need to break sweat and in truth the points had been well and truly wrapped up by then. Everyone played their part today with star mentions for Gianoullis and Rowe and Ben Gibson was as good as I have seen him for many a long day. Hard to argue against however that Gabrieal Sara is way too good for this level of football.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

agree with this Ricardo.

and Birmingham have a large away support who I thought would be a factor in raising their team, but I have to say our drummer, situated near them, really puts them off 🙂

When they get going on one of their songs and our guy is on a totally different rhythm altogether, they soon quieten down....  I'm now definitely pro-drummer...

• Thanks 1

I thought Dimi played well. John Ruddy is starting to creak a bit when asked to dive low into the corners of the goal. 

Sara was average by his standards but still looked the most talented player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its still shirt sleeve weather here in Norfolk but it was overcast and cloudy from about mid day so it was a reasonably pleasant ride down to the ground today. I wasn't surprised to see Placheta in the starting line up after his encouraging mid-week outing but Wagner still appears to be keeping Sainz under wraps.

The visitors appear to have improved upon last season according to all reports and the certainly looked a physically formidable side as play began. City dominated possession from the early stages but found difficulty in producing any real excitement in the Birmingham area. There were some nice sweeping moves with both fullbacks high up the pitch and although they stretched the visitors defence there was nothing incisive enough to cause John Ruddy much alarm. We were past the quarter hour mark before the crowd were given something to ohh! and aah! about, as Rowe came away in the centre circle and set Idah away in the company of two defenders. The big City striker got a low shot away from just outside the eighteen yard line but it whistled about a couple of feet outside Ruddy's lefthand post.

It livened things up a bit and a couple of minutes later the home side was unlucky not to snatch the lead. A long cross-field pass was headed into no mans land by the Brum right back and Gianoullis had a sharp chance as John Ruddy came out to narrow the angle. The City fullback lifted it over the keeper only for the ball to fall inches the wrong side of the post.

We had seen virtually nothing of the Birmingham attack up until now but they suddenly sprang forward and put a bit of pressure on just after the halfway stage. A cross from the right and a corner both skimmed across the home goal-mouth without anyone getting a touch and then a ball back in was ballooned miles over to relieve the danger.. Play quickly switched to the other end as City regained control and Sara got Placheta away down the left and his cross clipped off the top of the bar but remained in play. Stacey and Fassnacht picked up the pieces and when the cross came in Idah glanced a header on target but Ruddy was well positioned.

The home side upped the pressure as halftime approached but couldn't find a breakthrough although Gianoullis went close again when chesting down a cross in the box but could only fire the ball over the top and Placheta just wasn't tall enough as a deflected cross looped up over his head no more than a yard from the goal line. At the other end there was an over optimistic shout for a penalty when a low cross looped off a foot onto a hand but thankfully ref Gavin Ward wasn't impressed. All things considered It was a decent half with City looking the better side but without the cutting edge to enforce it.

City were immediately on the front foot when the second half began and the visitors had to defend a couple of corners as play became compressed in the Birmingham half but then the visitors had a great chance from a breakaway when Gunn stood strong as Stansfield cut into the box from the Birmingham left and the ball was hoofed away. Back at the other end Sara kept the pressure on with some astute passes and then got on the end of a Gianoullis cross to guide a deft header beyond Ruddys despairing dive to finally put a proper reflaction on proceedings.

Wagner now brought Onell and Hwang on for Fassnacht and Placheta  as the home side continued in the ascendancy with their tails up they  continued to press home their advantage. On the hour mark the Birmingham defence crumpled again when with sustained pressure down the right, Hwang got a foot in and the ball fell to Rowe who quickly skipped into the area and beat Ruddy with a low shot inside the near post to make it 2-0. It might have got even better but both Hwang and Idah could only fire over the bar when well placed by passes from Rowe and Sara

Wagner seemed to think it was enough because Forshaw came on for Idah with twenty minutes left but the visitors almost hit back when Miyoshi made space for himself in the area but could only bang his shot against the bar. In truth there weren't too many alarms but the over reliance on playing out from the back caused a few angry shouts of alarm from those around me in the upper River End. I am usually fairly placid but even I had difficulty keeping the naughty words in check.

Sainz and Batth came on for the final knockings but didn't really need to break sweat and in truth the points had been well and truly wrapped up by then. Everyone played their part today with star mentions for Gianoullis and Rowe and Ben Gibson was as good as I have seen him for many a long day. Hard to argue against however that Gabrieal Sara is way too good for this level of football.

Agree with most Ricardo but I made a point of watching Rowe as much as I could. I watched him at Ptymouth from about 20 yards away not mark up and give the second goal away. And he didn't improve. So I gave him special attention today. I am not a nerd so don't know the actual figures but he spent much of the time overdoing it. Beat one man and lose it to the next. Dimi behind is in a rich vein of form at the moment and was overlapping for nothing most of the time.

He scored a wicked goal. No doubt the boy has talent and he can do that. Wonderful. Then after that he was guilty of not playing his mates in when it was the obvious ball. One particular one later on was criminal. 

I was singing hisname with the lads before and during the game last week and am sure the lad has a great future, it might no be with us, and score a lot of goals. But I am quite pragmatic about player performances and don't go over the top. For instance, I though Placheta was as useful to the side as Rowe but he got pulled. That luckily is the coaches job to make those decisions. And first half I think even he must have thought he had set the team up wrong.

Only young and will learn.

Wagner isn't stupid he knows that Rowe can produce that bit of magic that not all players possess.

Give the boy a chance, he is more than a bit special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also thought Mr Ward, he still only looks 15, had a decent game and for once had no complaints about the referee.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Wagner isn't stupid he knows that Rowe can produce that bit of magic that not all players possess.

Oh he is one of my favourites. That is why I am not bothered about saying when I think he has been poor.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He’s wonderful isn’t he, pure class. Pleasure as always to read your appraisal. 

• Like 1

My champagne moment of this season so far was when Barnes got involved in handbags and Jon came in to help, marvellous.

32 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

My champagne moment of this season so far was when Barnes got involved in handbags and Jon came in to help, marvellous.

The boy has fire inside him. That goal came when they lit the blue touch paper.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Thanks for the report brilliant as ever 👍

Rowe obviously has great potential but as far as I'm aware is only contracted to 2025 - I hope that this is rectified soon.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks for the report brilliant as ever 👍

Rowe obviously has great potential but as far as I'm aware is only contracted to 2025 - I hope that this is rectified soon.

Contracts not worth a lot as Delia rips them up as soon as it suits the model.

18 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Contracts not worth a lot as Delia rips them up as soon as it suits the model.

eh ? Do explain.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

In truth there weren't too many alarms

Thanks for the report. Don’t agree with this though:

- 1st half - two crosses from Birmingham’s right wing which we’re begging for a Brum forward to get a touch, completely eluded our defense, very lucky not to concede 

- Gunn’s excellent save in front of the river end on the second half, Brum player probably should have scored

- Gunn and defense beaten all ends up but shot crashed off underside of crossbar

- Brum header near the end … player will be disappointed not to hit the target 

May have missed one or two, but in truth Birmingham might have had 3 or 4 today if they’d had a little more luck. A better side would have punished us I feel. 

4 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

- 1st half - two crosses from Birmingham’s right wing which we’re begging for a Brum forward to get a touch, completely eluded our defense, very lucky not to concede 

- Gunn’s excellent save in front of the river end on the second half, Brum player probably should have scored

- Gunn and defense beaten all ends up but shot crashed off underside of crossbar

May have missed one or two, but in truth Birmingham might have had 3 or 4 today if they’d had a little more luck. A better side would have punished us I feel. 

Gunn had one blocking save to make, and made it.

Apart from that they offered little. 

Crosses into the box are meaningless if there's nobody there to get on the end.

Miyoshi might have scored but hit the bar, so didn't. 

On chances created we ran out comfortable winners.

As for a better side might have punished us, well we were playing Birmingham City, not Real Madrid.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Gunn had one blocking save to make, and made it.

Apart from that they offered little. 

Crosses into the box are meaningless if there's nobody there to get on the end.

Miyoshi might have scored but hit the bar, so didn't. 

On chances created we ran out comfortable winners.

As for a better side might have punished us, well we were playing Birmingham City, not Real Madrid.

Quite - I agree far more with your take on it.  Yes they had some crosses that evaded everyone, but that suggests either the cross was poor, the striker was poor or the defence did its job of preventing him from doing so.  It in no way makes us lucky not to have conceded.

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

Birmingham had an xG of 0.77 - had they scored 3 or 4 they'd have have been one of the most clinical sides ever to grace the championship 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite - I agree far more with your take on it.  Yes they had some crosses that evaded everyone, but that suggests either the cross was poor, the striker was poor or the defence did its job of preventing him from doing so.  It in no way makes us lucky not to have conceded.

Plus it is quite likely that the reason that they managed to fashion a crossing opportunity is because they "overloaded" elsewhere, which created the space in the first place! Players can't be in two positions at once!