cambridgeshire canary

I see the bottom half of the Prem is as fun as always

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sad, but I was thinking it looked a little like some of our performances two years ago…we thankfully avoided this - 0-7 now.

Oddly, I’m yet to see/hear any articles an out how these sides haven’t given it a go/should be barred from the PL or whatever was thrown at us.  Indeed, it’s been quite the opposite.

It's never said about anyone else. Been saying it for years to be told there's no media hatred of little ol Norwich. 

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

It's never said about anyone else. Been saying it for years to be told there's no media hatred of little ol Norwich. 

I still feel this never assisted us in the Prem.
The players can read , they not stupid with the media sending us down and humiliated before a ball was even kicked what did any of us expect?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I believe that oracle of wisdom Garth Crooks referred to Luton as a ‘joke’

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Where ironically the joke is sh1te teams like Man City and Chelsea with no history spending pots of never ending money.
Ipswich have more pedigree than them and I dont take that lightly!

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I can just imagine him screaming at homeless people to “just get a house”

Edited by The Real Buh

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Where ironically the joke is sh1te teams like Man City and Chelsea with no history spending pots of never ending money.
Ipswich have more pedigree than them and I dont take that lightly!

It's the hypocrisy for me, they moan and moan about teams with oil money etc. And some "pundits" moaning about players going for 100+m and ridicule Chelsea for spending like they have, yet they also moan when a team doesn't sell it's soul to spend more than it can afford to stay in the media's beloved premier league. 

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

I blame the goalkeeper.

There's a mountain of evidence to suggest he's not good enough.

He's no better or worse than Gunn, both are run of the mill championship keepers 👍

One way of partially mitigating this increasing anomaly is to increase the size of the league to 22 or even 24 teams, but the elite would never agree to this. Quite the opposite in fact.

City suffered from the most recent reduction I recall. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

It's the hypocrisy for me, they moan and moan about teams with oil money etc. And some "pundits" moaning about players going for 100+m and ridicule Chelsea for spending like they have, yet they also moan when a team doesn't sell it's soul to spend more than it can afford to stay in the media's beloved premier league. 

Completely agree with you.
The football pyramid is broken and while people are hunting out the big money this will not end. Ive thought about this a lot but I think the only solution is this.

Allow a break out Euro super league - Money Cheat Citeh, Newsaudi Town , Real Madrid, Bayern etc etc.
Let them have all the mega stars paid more money than they are worth.

Then re-structure the football pyramid with a wage cap similar to the USA, also allow each team to break the wage cap x3 times. Investment is capped, breaking of the rules = points dedications in denominations of 3 with the smallest being 9.

The kicker would be that players could not play for their country if they played for the Euro super league teams which would keep some players in their domestic leagues or the domestic pyramids.

I know its basic and not well thought out, but hats the principal.

This way you could have the stupid money football but also have grass roots football that was viable.
Sometimes I envy fans of lower league teams as I expect they enjoy their football and leagues.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 3

Here’s a question

do we honestly believe that if circumstances collided and one of the “big teams” got into trouble and found themselves in the bottom 3 at the end of the season that they would honestly actually go down?

I don’t actually believe that would happen. If Chelsea just somehow s41t the bed this season and finish 3rd from bottom I don’t actually believe they would go down. 

Legal challenges would be raised, politicians lobbied, the “for the good of the game” lines would start up.

It already is a closed league and they are playing a different game to the rest of us. It’s already happened.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s a question

do we honestly believe that if circumstances collided and one of the “big teams” got into trouble and found themselves in the bottom 3 at the end of the season that they would honestly actually go down?

I don’t actually believe that would happen. If Chelsea just somehow s41t the bed this season and finish 3rd from bottom I don’t actually believe they would go down. 

Legal challenges would be raised, politicians lobbied, the “for the good of the game” lines would start up.

It already is a closed league and they are playing a different game to the rest of us. It’s already happened.

It would be really interesting wouldnt it.

I only found out recently that the whole reason the MLS doesnt have a relegation format is because the franchise owners didnt want it. Says it all really.

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s a question

I think that's where the football regulator steps in and says (for example) the leagues will have 4 divisions of 23 teams starting from 2025-26 with restructuring to take place. There is no appeals process and the UEFA competitions from England would return to the original format i.e. 1 league winner and the rest through the other competitions. There would also be a robust fit and proper persons test and terms on ownership and financial fair play etc.

Edited by Canary73

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

It would be really interesting wouldnt it.

I only found out recently that the whole reason the MLS doesnt have a relegation format is because the franchise owners didnt want it. Says it all really.

Super League is still being planned across Europe by the way they just know to keep their mouths shut about it this time

39 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sad, but I was thinking it looked a little like some of our performances two years ago…we thankfully avoided this - 0-7 now.

Oddly, I’m yet to see/hear any articles an out how these sides haven’t given it a go/should be barred from the PL or whatever was thrown at us.  Indeed, it’s been quite the opposite.

Totally agree. We didn't fit their narrative of spending millions. The Premier league love the fact millions are spent on their league. Some kind of prestige. Oddly each year Premier clubs seem to buy players from other leagues? 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Super League is still being planned across Europe by the way they just know to keep their mouths shut about it this time

Tbh its the only direction football can go now isnt it.

• Like 1

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Tbh its the only direction football can go now isnt it.

Sooner the better as long as they are not allowed in the Prem as well

there is absolutely no point in us getting promoted they way it is set up at the moment

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good, let them go. Should of fuçkéd off the first time around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, city4eva said:

there is absolutely no point in us getting promoted they way it is set up at the moment

Yup hence I am none to bothered about sitting between 3rd - 10th.
I know what a crap fan that makes me to not want my team in the Prem, but its pointless.

Like seriously ignore fitness,

But if some of these donkies are going about for stupid money (Look at Sancho!) Imagine what a modern market would pay for peak : Pele, Maradona, Maldini, Gasgoigne, Cruyff or even Sutton (dont forget he was British record at one time)

10 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s a question

Surely they have to do unless they attempt to drag out VAR discrepancies or ineligible players etc. Didn't that happen with Tevez a while back? The whole FFP needs to be straightened out with the same rules applying - teams that have transferred between the EfL and PL have hidden behind their rules and dragged out issues to their favour. QPR, Wolves and Brighton are all in that bracket. All clubs need to pay their way but you have lower league or non league clubs going to the wall for a fraction of the money they owe compared to the structuring of the bigger clubs. Many clubs can't compete on those terms and you wonder how much damage it will do to clubs chasing safety or promotion.

10 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Our prospective new owner will likely have a different view to that.

It will always come down to money and the more you take out of the top end the less the lower leagues will get. So many Championship clubs have huge running costs, ourselves included, and that won't change now. Football is inherently broken, there are too many leagues, too many teams. 

32 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s a question

Definitely a question that I would love to see answered. 

25 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

Surely they have to do unless they attempt to drag out VAR discrepancies or ineligible players etc.

Sure they would have to but I don’t believe they would.

I believe every football board and authority in the land would help them as well. For the good of the game, of course.

38 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Here’s a question

Even if Chelsea tried such loopholes they would be unsuccessful. Believe it or not they are widely despised in the PL and the likes of Tottenham would take enormous delight in seeing them relegated. I know what you're implying but think what you suggest would not happen. As for a 'closed league', that's rubbish. Each year three teams are relegated from the PL and three promoted from the Championship. How can that be a 'closed league'. Look at how Brighton, Brentford and Fulham have done given the right owners, great recruitment and decent managers. 'Closed league'? Think again.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Even if Chelsea tried such loopholes they would be unsuccessful. Believe it or not they are widely despised in the PL and the likes of Tottenham would take enormous delight in seeing them relegated. I know what you're implying but think what you suggest would not happen. As for a 'closed league', that's rubbish. Each year three teams are relegated from the PL and three promoted from the Championship. How can that be a 'closed league'. Look at how Brighton, Brentford and Fulham have done given the right owners, great recruitment and decent managers. 'Closed league'? Think again.  

The open league is an illusion

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The open league is an illusion

No it's not! It was as recent as 2016 that 'little old Leicester' won the title. Who would have thought that 'little old Brighton' would now be playing in Europe and genuinely challenging for the Top Six??