The decent refs will clear off to Saudi once they are offered ten times their EPL salary and tax free. 

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Why is the consequence of being totally inept and useless at your job to be taken out of the spotlight and given a week off? Hopefully there are further ramifications like some form of disciplinary procedure as many would face in everyday jobs if you CONTINUALLY show yourself to not be up to the job.

There used to be the birch.

11 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Does this mean Hooper is going to be officiating in the championship?

What's the chances ??? ...... no, stop laughing, it really would not be funny 🙂

• Haha 1

No way am I supporting Hooper here ( will never, ever forgive him that Jerome overhead ) but the person most at blame here is the VAR official, why, oh why didn’t he tell Hooper to go and look at the screen

42 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

No way am I supporting Hooper here ( will never, ever forgive him that Jerome overhead ) but the person most at blame here is the VAR official, why, oh why didn’t he tell Hooper to go and look at the screen

I've said this in another thread. At big events like the WC officials were told not to make decisions unless they were clear cut and let VAR review and intervene if there was anything missed. If Hooper has effectively done his job because he wasn't sure then yes, it's VAR that's once again the biggest issues. I honestly can't believe someone has sat and watched the replay multiple times from multiple angles and somehow decided that the keeper hasn't fouled someone. 

7 hours ago, AJ said:

I've said this in another thread. At big events like the WC officials were told not to make decisions unless they were clear cut and let VAR review and intervene if there was anything missed. If Hooper has effectively done his job because he wasn't sure then yes, it's VAR that's once again the biggest issues. I honestly can't believe someone has sat and watched the replay multiple times from multiple angles and somehow decided that the keeper hasn't fouled someone. 

Has anybody stopped to ask whether VAR actually replays the action that was seen in real time? There are doubts. The official could be watching Freddie Flintstone given all the outcomes awarded.

15 hours ago, city4eva said:

Yes Refs are crap but another Ref looking at replays shouldnt be

Aren't they the same refs? If the EPL is corrupt then it doesn't really matter who the ref is.

Every season we have all this corruption allegation but still people spend hours of their life watching it. Some even pay!

Astonishing really.

I see young Simon is back from his hols to be on VAR for Man C at Sheff U on Sunday :) And his mate Michael Salisbury is actually reffing Burnley-Villa after being fourth official at Old Trafford for Forest's visit. Well, they've done their time and should be allowed to return to their normal life :) 

Cue further carnage :)

The problem is there aren't enough qualified referees to replace them with. Partially due to the abuse they get, along with a comparatively paltry match fee. If the FA started paying referees properly they just might get more people taking it up.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

The problem is there aren't enough qualified referees to replace them with. Partially due to the abuse they get, along with a comparatively paltry match fee. If the FA started paying referees properly they just might get more people taking it up.

Bigger problem is the abuse. And it always has been the abuse.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/14/how-much-do-premier-league-referees-get-paid-17180262/#:~:text=According to Goal%2C referees are,which varies based on experience.&text=Referees are then given an,to £70%2C000 per year.

£70k per year may not seem much to some and it is small in comparison with what the players earn, but I wouldn't mind it (probably fail the fitness test though). 

A woman in labor suddenly shouted, “Shouldn’t! Wouldn’t! Couldn’t! Didn’t! Can’t!”

“Don’t worry,” said the doc. “Those are just contractions.”

What a joke. 

On 14/08/2023 at 22:26, Big Vince said:

Agreed. Man U are too big to lose.

Sky’s tag line is The Greatest show on Earth. 
They need Man U for the Show. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Bigger problem is the abuse. And it always has been the abuse.

No. If they got paid £1m a year there would be thousands of them. The abuse doesn't help but it's the money.

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

No. If they got paid £1m a year there would be thousands of them. The abuse doesn't help but it's the money.

Nope, and I refer you back to your previous comment.

18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

There aren't enough qualified referees as the wastage rate is incredibly high. Why is this rate so high? Primarily abuse. At grassroots level, referees aren't generally paid too badly. There's far too much abuse at lower levels to start with so referees won't look at going further up the pyramid.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Conrad said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/14/how-much-do-premier-league-referees-get-paid-17180262/#:~:text=According to Goal%2C referees are,which varies based on experience.&text=Referees are then given an,to £70%2C000 per year.

£70k per year may not seem much to some and it is small in comparison with what the players earn, but I wouldn't mind it (probably fail the fitness test though). 

It's peanuts for the level of skill and the responsibility though, even at Championship level. It's barely a week's wages for a Prem League player.

Coupled with the ridiculous scrutiny that officials are put under by fans and so called expert pundits It's surprising we have enough officials to go round!

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nope, and I refer you back to your previous comment.

There aren't enough qualified referees as the wastage rate is incredibly high. Why is this rate so high? Primarily abuse. At grassroots level, referees aren't generally paid too badly. There's far too much abuse at lower levels to start with so referees won't look at going further up the pyramid.

I can only go on my own experience and that of my contemporaries. At least a dozen referees at various lower level leagues (from equivalent Div 5 right down to Intermediate levels) gave up when they hit their mid 30s because the money wasn't enough to compete with their time demands when marriage/children/houses came along. None of them gave up because of abuse - I think that reduces once you get away from Junior or pub league football. The ones who kept going tended to be the ones who either had independent means or no such family demands.

Ex-players retiring in their 30s could easily retrain in a very short time to be referees. They won't do it for £70k a year. 

• Like 1

Just now, sgncfc said:

I can only go on my own experience and that of my contemporaries. At least a dozen referees at various lower level leagues (from equivalent Div 5 right down to Intermediate levels) gave up when they hit their mid 30s because the money wasn't enough to compete with their time demands when marriage/children/houses came along. None of them gave up because of abuse - I think that reduces once you get away from Junior or pub league football. The ones who kept going tended to be the ones who either had independent means or no such family demands.

Ex-players retiring in their 30s could easily retrain in a very short time to be referees. They won't do it for £70k a year. 

Right, that's fair enough, you're talking about a different point of wastage higher up the football pyramid. Definitely agree that it can be awkward for referees at that level if they really want to go on and push to be professionals as you rightly said there's a lot of stress on free time/family life, I just reckon far more are lost at grassroots football are lost due to abuse.

I suppose that brings up the question of what proportion of grassroots referees really want to push it up the pyramid. I was always perfectly happy refereeing the juniors but there's always been trouble keeping referees in junior leagues simply as parents are often hard work. Healthy grassroots provides - in all likelihood - better quality referees to the semi-pro level and that level you were on about where that brand of wastage you mention takes place.

I really think the FA should work harder at persuading ex-pro's or even younger lads who fall out of the game to become referees, on some kind of fast track process. But. as we agree, they need to get paid more.