Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

The Secret Cult of Competitive Matchday Parking

I think we've all seen and recognise... Matchday parking is a big deal.

And for a certain type of fan... It IS the game they are going for every other Saturday. The football is secondary.

See, every matchday, a silent event takes place across the city of Norwich. One that you may only be peripherally aware of or maybe not at all. Or, perhaps, you are very, very aware of the game that is afoot tomorrow.

I'm talking, of course, about MATCHDAY COMPETITIVE PARKING!

That's right folks, The game that has raged across the seasons and the sands of time. Who's players have inherited the concept from father to son over the generations. Some would count matchday experiences along the lines of "Where were you when Simeon Jackson scored?" or "Whats your beating Man City moment?" but these guys. For them they remember that cheeky little number they got when they slung it in Carrow Park and disguised the car as a see-saw.

• How close to the ground can you get for free?
  • Somebody has been monitoring your regular space and gets it on the next match, ruining the whole day for you.
  • Someone's driveway? not now it isn't!
  • Disabled Bay? Not Today!
  • I'm pretty sure that Ambulance isn't going to need to go anywhere.
  • "Would the owner of the ridiculous car who's parked in the almost impossibly stupid place please return to their car"
  • "My mate Bernie dun't mind ifn ay park in iz drivewee"
  • Brand new 100K Landrover parked half on a grass verge on the entrance to a petrol station and half on the ring road to avoid a £6 parking charge.
  • There are actually 4 car parking spaces available on Carrow road itself but you have to perform a special religious service the night before and really, really want it and it will be granted to you.
  • "Just park it in rose lane, I don't mind walking the weather quite ni...." "IS THIS A JOKE TO YOU SUSAN!"

And this is all before we get into the link between matchday competitive parking and the early leavers.

On the eve of the new Competitive matchday parking season I'd love to hear from all of you guys about your matchday competitive parking experiences.

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Captain Holt said:

I have a great, FREE, parking space. It’s about 15 minutes walk. Never have to leave early to get out. Bliss. 

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

• Do you keep it quiet but also allude to it in casual conversation with an air of accomplishment?
  • Has anyone ever taken this spot, either temporarily or on a more permanent basis, and how was this issue resolved if so.

I'm not be facetious by the way, I am genuinely interested and have noticed this going on for years.

• Haha 2

Just now, CANARYKING said:

Is the old May Guery site open again, money going to Norwich Lions ?

This one is a classic its got to be said. It's the matchday parking equivalent of "Cooch 1 reglarz oonlee"

Quite a bit of looking down on the county hall parking plebs from this bunch I've found.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The burning question is where does ricardo park his bike ?

Swimming Pool.

Outside that is, not in it.

• Haha 3

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Do you have “your spot”?

No mate, it's first come first served.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

This is an awkward question but are you a “bring a plastic bag to put on the seat when it rains” kind of guy?

• Haha 2

Many of the 'secret' places have changed over the years, so I take a fold up bike and a padlock.  People take the ****, but I love it! 

I've used justpark for a few away matches in the past and it worked great,  I don't need it for Carrow Road obviously, but there's a few spots around the ground if you're an occasional supporter who wants an easy way of parking close and avoid the competition! 

Just Park - Carra Rud

Edited by Google Bot

5 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Many of the 'secret' places have changed over the years, so I take a fold up bike and a padlock.  People take the ****, but I love it! 

I've used justpark for a few away matches in the past and it worked great,  I don't need it for Carrow Road obviously, but there's a few spots around the ground if you're an occasional supporter who wants an easy way of parking close and avoid the competition! 

Just Park - Carra Rud

Uhh… why would you “avoid the competition” exactly? When it makes you feel so ALIVE!?

so, to be clear you are parking your car and then biking to the ground?

By the way I’ve just looked it up of google street view and there are 15 bike lock “U’s” on riverside leisure, so if you double up that’s 30 spots. Ample, I think you’ll agree.

But I don’t believe for one single solitary second that an absolute stalwart like Ricardo does not have a preferred bike parking spot. Come on @ricardo Spill the beans! Which one is the best one! Are you a third from the left kinda guy??

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

By the way I’ve just looked it up of google street view and there are 15 bike lock “U’s” on riverside leisure, so if you double up that’s 30 spots. Ample, I think you’ll agree.

That's me rumbled!

If I'm the only fold up bike there tomorrow I will get a BBQ cover from Argos, and hide it through fear of you pissing "I was right" all over my handlebars and seat! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Snap. We're winning. 

There can be only one winner

Just now, Google Bot said:

That's me rumbled!

If I'm the only fold up bike there tomorrow I will get a BBQ cover from Argos, and hide it through fear of you pissing "I was right" all over my handlebars and seat! 

I kind of want there to be an official pinkun “U” that you and Ricardo can share

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I did last time but it blew away and I got a wet arris

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That's me rumbled!

I just realised that asking @ricardo what his preferred bike spot is could potentially open him up to internet weirdos. I apologise and withdraw that question but humbly ask for you to reveal if there is, in fact, a “good one” not “where”, just “if” there’s a good one?

I enjoy my matchday 30+ min stroll to the ground and see a plethora of cars seemingly abandoned, horrendously sh!tty parked and on occasion due to sheer ignorance and arrogance they're blocking someone's private exit and access.....I play a game and go 'You'll deffo get a ticket,' 'you'll get a clamp,'....'Ticket, ticket, clamp and ticket'....''Oh dear, your number plate's gonna be announced over the stadium PA system"....and that's just our playing squad's motors.... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Swimming Pool.

Outside that is, not in it.

Gingersnap20-BlossomPink_620x.png?v=1675

Ricardo's 'Barbie Bike' and he's seen the new movie seven times....

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

But I don’t believe for one single solitary second that an absolute stalwart like Ricardo does not have a preferred bike parking spot. Come on @ricardo Spill the beans! Which one is the best one! Are you a third from the left kinda guy??

I'm usually a late comer so I just take what's left. Should be plenty of room tomorrow due to the rain. 

Would have got a lift but all my lot are on hols or otherwise engaged.

Just now, ricardo said:

I'm usually a late comer so I just take what's left. Should be plenty of room tomorrow due to the rain. 

Would have got a lift but all my lot are on hols or otherwise engaged.

Keep your eyes peeled for a fold up bike. That’s the official pinkun parking spot

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I enjoy my matchday 30+ min stroll to the ground 

I walked to the ground for most of my life but unfortunately my walking radius has declined over the years. Its bike or nothing now.

My wife had a work parking permit for the area around carrow (not going to give exacts) I used to "borrow" this until my wife's boss called her to ask what she was doing at work on a Saturday. Luckily she had my back and gave a bs story but I was lambasted later and told not to steal "borrow" it again.

Props Buh.

This is actually one of the best threads I've seen for many a week.

Just needs the usual suspects to ruin it by boasting about the car they drive, the time they leave the stadium to beat the rush or how much city car parks charged in 1927

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canario said:

Props Buh.

This is actually one of the best threads I've seen for many a week.

Just needs the usual suspects to ruin it by boasting about the car they drive, the time they leave the stadium to beat the rush or how much city car parks charged in 1927

I want to know about these people. I want to know their methods.

will rain tomorrow affect things? It’s a big picture thing.

• Haha 1