Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Top 6!

There, I said it. I had concerns before about where goals are coming from but now I'm believing that we'll see more goals from both defence and midfield this season. We had the ability, we still do, but it was the mentality and fitness levels that let us down. Yes, Dean Smith screwed us over with fitness levels of the squad. Now we have fitness levels, we still have a core of players who have won this league, we've added much needed strong mentality players which have been impressive so far... Jack Stacey looks quality. Duffy is top tier Championship and Barnes will create problems but hopefully will also unlock Sergeants potential. I don't know much about the 2 wingers we've signed but I like the look of both, especially the Swiss guy as we're now likely playing with inverted wingers which suits both of these new players, and the fact that the Swiss player has a goal threat is great. Reyes is also a good bit of business in goal, an upgrade on the younger keepers we have in already. Is Krul leaving this window? He's been playing quite a bit, has just started a business in his homeland and potentially a return to Netherlands is likely.

Other than the three that have dropped from the Prem, three places in the top 6 are up for grabs and we have just as good a chance as any other team. I do worry about Ipswich. I fear our record is coming to an end there but hopefully not.

Just now, Michael Starr said:

There, I said it. I had concerns before about where goals are coming from but now I'm believing that we'll see more goals from both defence and midfield this season. We had the ability, we still do, but it was the mentality and fitness levels that let us down. Yes, Dean Smith screwed us over with fitness levels of the squad. Now we have fitness levels, we still have a core of players who have won this league, we've added much needed strong mentality players which have been impressive so far... Jack Stacey looks quality. Duffy is top tier Championship and Barnes will create problems but hopefully will also unlock Sergeants potential. I don't know much about the 2 wingers we've signed but I like the look of both, especially the Swiss guy as we're now likely playing with inverted wingers which suits both of these new players, and the fact that the Swiss player has a goal threat is great. Reyes is also a good bit of business in goal, an upgrade on the younger keepers we have in already. Is Krul leaving this window? He's been playing quite a bit, has just started a business in his homeland and potentially a return to Netherlands is likely.

Other than the three that have dropped from the Prem, three places in the top 6 are up for grabs and we have just as good a chance as any other team. I do worry about Ipswich. I fear our record is coming to an end there but hopefully not.

Agreed, other than Coventry our summer signings look a match for any other club in the division. It would be very disappointing not to be challenging for a top 6 finish this season. 

I went to the Olympiacos match. We looked more compact and more organised generally.

My concern is about creativity and service to the strikers.

But it's a new season, so I have will wear my optimist's hat on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

I went to the Olympiacos match. We looked more compact and more organised generally.

My concern is about creativity and service to the strikers.

But it's a new season, so I have will wear my optimist's hat on Saturday.

But we have Super Sainz coming back soon. The secret weapon

I'm quite hopeful, but this window leaves me nervous.  I can see us losing a couple of players late on through nature of how everything is quite dry and backed up.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we see Reyes break into the first team by end of season.  I can see Gunn moving on, and based on Krul's last appearances for us we do not want him playing out from the back.

Edited by Google Bot

I’m hopeful for the following reason everyone had the opinion last year it was the worst every championship the only stand out team was Burnley so minus one good team ok we have the 3 relegated teams. So that 2 elite levels teams more than last year. There are still 21 very beatable sides. The poor quality remains.

14 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

So that 2 elite levels teams more than last year. There are still 21 very beatable sides. The poor quality remains.

Having 3 times the 'elite' may alter the landscape considerably though, you'd imagine that the points distribution will be much tighter across the league and there won't be the top 1st and 2nd break away, rather a larger divide between top and bottom where the points amass in the top half of the table.

Consistency is always key in a league campaign, and I'm trying to work out that if we have a top 6 within 6 points of each other and we're maintaining a solid approach does that put us up there, or does it leave us mid-table.

I get the feeling it's going to be the more offensively aggressive teams that come out on top this season, I think there's going to be a lot of ball playing in the top 3-4 positions and the only way to beat them is to go at them.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

i am more lets see how we go and see where we end up instead of aiming for anything this season ,

We should be good enough we have the players for top six but ,Wagner is my main worry still a long way to go before he gains my confidence ,

also until that transfer window has closed i would not rule out anything ,

Just thinking about the match tomorrow, I wonder how Webber will be received by home fans if sat in his usual position.  It'll be interesting to see what chants develop.

I agree about there being no stand out runaway team this season. Southampton potentially could do a Burnley if Martin can get them firing from day one and if they manage to keep Ward Prowse. Momentum will play a huge part this season.

Edited by Michael Starr

6 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Martin can get them firing from day one 

If he does, they will run away with the league, but from past seasons his sides never start to gel until beyond Xmas. For this reason alone, Soton will finish mid-table this.  If they persevere with Martin, and I reckon it will get to be a big if, then next season they'll walk it.

As for us, quietly confident we will finish in the play-offs, we might just sneak promotion due to the experience we have. As always, a lot will come down to keeping our best players fit, surely our luck has to change on that front?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

If he does, they will run away with the league, but from past seasons his sides never start to gel until beyond Xmas. For this reason alone, Soton will finish mid-table this.  If they persevere with Martin, and I reckon it will get to be a big if, then next season they'll walk it.

As for us, quietly confident we will finish in the play-offs, we might just sneak promotion due to the experience we have. As always, a lot will come down to keeping our best players fit, surely our luck has to change on that front?

Most Yellows 12 months ago were saying exactly the same about our so called 'experience' and that Rashica and Tzolis were going to 'rip up The Championship' and Pukki was 'sure to finish league top scorer! Not implying you thought that but many on this forum did! How did that optimism turn out one has to say?

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Most Yellows 12 months ago were saying exactly the same about our so called 'experience' and that Rashica and Tzolis were going to 'rip up The Championship' and Pukki was 'sure to finish league top scorer! Not implying you thought that but many on this forum did! How did that optimism turn out one has to say?

The experience this time is Duffy, Stacey and Barnes. Relatively speaking, known quantities!

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i am more lets see how we go and see where we end up instead of aiming for anything this season ,

We should be good enough we have the players for top six but ,Wagner is my main worry still a long way to go before he gains my confidence ,

also until that transfer window has closed i would not rule out anything ,

Totally agree. This is step 1 of a rebuild with more players out of contract at the end of the season.

Game by game. We need to start by winning at home tomorrow, or at least not losing.

We could end up in the top 6 with a fair wind with injuries, but I'm not expecting us to tbh.

It's actually nice to start a season without the threat of relegation or a high expectation of promotion. Hopefully this will give the players space to 'develop'.

51 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Totally agree. This is step 1 of a rebuild with more players out of contract at the end of the season.

Game by game. We need to start by winning at home tomorrow, or at least not losing.

We could end up in the top 6 with a fair wind with injuries, but I'm not expecting us to tbh.

It's actually nice to start a season without the threat of relegation or a high expectation of promotion. Hopefully this will give the players space to 'develop'.

also very worried about Wagner playing just 2 in the middle of midfield ,

we were overrun last season with 3 ,

so it will be interesting to see if the other players can cover etc ,

which they have been doing in preseason like barnes dropping deeper etc to cover CM ,

Top 6 is definitely the aim, good start give us some good momentum.   Coyy 

7 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Agreed, other than Coventry our summer signings look a match for any other club in the division. It would be very disappointing not to be challenging for a top 6 finish this season. 

A tad optimistic! We lost Cantwell, Dowell, Pukki, probably lose Aaron’s and possibly Omobamadele and Sara if the right offer comes in. 
Though we have bought in experienced players I’m not sure they’re a massive improvement on what we lost from last summer, who knows? Rowe and Gibbs are two players who might just kick on and push us up that table.

Top 6 might be achievable but top ten more realistic for me! But who knows I like Wagner and hope he can pull the players together and get the best out of them…..👍

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Of which we are very much part of.

That said you can go along away in the championship by being above average.