Sign in to follow this  
daz

Olympiakos

Who's going today then? Lower barclay for me to see how the new boys get on.... 

They beat rangers 3-1 the other day so they are no mugs tbf. 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oh God. Please no more about Rangers and Cantwell. Pleeease...... 

"see you Jimmy, we've got Cantwell and Dowell"

you lost 3-1

"oh hell"

Wasn't too bad, wouldn't say spectacular, but a win and look a lot more solid than usual. 

Gunn not to dilly dally with it against a fast press, just clear it 😜

Duffy looking very good and very good organising the back line 👌

Agree about Gunn.  So frustrating and will get caught out sooner or later.  All that close passing at the back is so unnecessary and gets nowhere.

Also, why doesn’t anyone ever come for a throw in?  Is there not a player designated to make himself available?  I remember Grant Holt was nearly always there for a throw and good at making something of it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Also, why doesn’t anyone ever come for a throw in?  Is there not a player designated to make himself available?  I remember Grant Holt was nearly always there for a throw and good at making something of it.

It's been doing my head in for years, ever since Farke took over. We talk about marginal gains and all that and all we do off the pitch to squeeze that extra .1% but then always fall asleep during throw ins which happen 20+ times a game and can lead to a turnover of possession. I just don't get it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

It's been doing my head in for years, ever since Farke took over. We talk about marginal gains and all that and all we do off the pitch to squeeze that extra .1% but then always fall asleep during throw ins which happen 20+ times a game and can lead to a turnover of possession. I just don't get it. 

You need to look at the statistics for how often we keep the ball when the keeper hits it long. They're awful. 

Coaches in the top divisions all over Europe have looked at the stats. They're not idiots and they're not wrong. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oh God. Please no more about Rangers and Cantwell. Pleeease...... 

Sorry! But Todd does a fantastic dive for the penalty (on 5 mins)

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You need to look at the statistics for how often we keep the ball when the keeper hits it long. They're awful. 

Coaches in the top divisions all over Europe have looked at the stats. They're not idiots and they're not wrong. 

Yeah I agree with you on that. I actually quoted the part about throw ins though and how we switch off and don't always move and offer an option. I'm totally with you on goal kicks, took me a while to get used to it but now I get annoyed when we go long because most of the time it comes straight back at us. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Definitely this. But also, related to the above:

2 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Statistically, you're more likely to create a goalscoring chance within 30 seconds of an attacking throw in if it's a long one into the box rather than with a short one. If we have two of Barnes, Sargent and Idah up there, plus Duffy who is excellent in the air, then there's no reason why couldn't hurl the ball into towards two of them at the near post and look for a flick on.

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Definitely this. But also, related to the above:

Statistically, you're more likely to create a goalscoring chance within 30 seconds of an attacking throw in if it's a long one into the box rather than with a short one. If we have two of Barnes, Sargent and Idah up there, plus Duffy who is excellent in the air, then there's no reason why couldn't hurl the ball into towards two of them at the near post and look for a flick on.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1747954121991447 This reckons that almost 80 per cent of throw ins in a game aren’t “attacking “ though. And the most successful teams seemingly go sideways and backwards a lot more than forwards . A bit skewed the findings in this though, imo, as it links throw in success with league position but doesn’t (as far as I can tell from a very quick skim) consider this from the other way round -  the better teams are more likely to keep possession for 7 plus seconds after a throw because they’ve got better technical players when it’s back in play, not just because of the throw in strategy as such.

19 minutes ago, Aggy said:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1747954121991447 This reckons that almost 80 per cent of throw ins in a game aren’t “attacking “ though. 

I'm talking purely about attacking throw ins, which I think are ones within 20 or 25 yards of the byline. 

I'd agree that a sideways or backwards throw is better in midfield to retain possession, but statistics show that in an attacking position, a long throw hurled into the box leads to a better chance more often than one which is taken short.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Diving in a friendly? Oh dear.

It’s called proving the haters wrong and deserves a valedictory cryptic tik tok post

19 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Agree about Gunn.  So frustrating and will get caught out sooner or later.  All that close passing at the back is so unnecessary and gets nowhere.

This was Brighton from kick off in a friendly against Newcastle the other day. You'd have kittens.

https://fb.watch/m645KdUA-w/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

It’s called proving the haters wrong and deserves a valedictory cryptic tik tok post

Someone posts up a reasoned criticism and they are a 'hater' Really ?

Does anyone on this forum hate any City player(s), or the club ? I suspect you might remove the A4 from your name. Would suit better.

8 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Does anyone on this forum hate any City player(s), or the club ? I suspect you might remove the A4 from your name. Would suit better.

It is a little odd - I happened across a bit of footage of the Rangers game the other day, before I realised who it was. It was a dive + dragging off the foot to ensure you’re caught.  It is surely cheating whoever is doing it. 

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Diving in a friendly? Oh dear.

Yes. Appalling bit of "skill".  Wasn't even close to being a penalty when you see him already on the way down. Wes did it, Aarons does it, Holt did it, I guess a lot of players do it, but it does none of them any credit....especially when the they look so pleased with themselves afterwards.  Just because they get the decision occasionally doesn't make it a good play - they should really be embarrassed.

• Like 1

Any club in any league probably has an example of a player who dives. Winning at all costs is in the psyche of some players. 

Arguably to be successful you need that.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Whoosh

You're too old/young/middle-aged/alien/awful/autogamist to see satire

You can keep your name because you’ve started stealing David James’ gaffes

Also it covers up the fact that your real name is Mr Poopy-Pants

Etc

Edited by GenerationA47

Diving like that deserves the Order of the Boot right into their mush. Have thought for a long time that penalty kicks should be abolished, and stuff like that reinforces my opinion.