Heading South

City imploding ……

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Did we end up losing sargent then? 

No our back up striker is still here. He’s never been a 20 goal a season striker mind. And most clubs losing the talisman striker wouldn’t just sign Adam Idah for five years, promote the number 2 and hope for the best. I love sarge- he has a doc like cult feeling - but his first touch is woeful and can miss sitters 

• Like 1

Some city fans imploding really isnt it.   

We still have cover in all areas and have added height and experience across the back line and abrasion up front.   Add in a little quality in mid/going forward over the next 10 days and the scene changes again.

Yes reasons to be concerned, but its far from over and its not like every other club is doing loads of quality strengthening.   Patience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Don't take me up on my bet then but also stop crying about how you think we're getting relegated if you don't seriously believe it.

I praise the Lord that he thinks this summer is a disaster, when he thought we’d had our best ever transfer window or some such boll0cks, we were absolute sh1te. Bodes well. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

No our back up striker is still here. He’s never been a 20 goal a season striker mind. And most clubs losing the talisman striker wouldn’t just sign Adam Idah for five years, promote the number 2 and hope for the best. I love sarge- he has a doc like cult feeling - but his first touch is woeful and can miss sitters 

Remind me how many goals sargent and Pukki scored last season? 

Regression to the mean (championship also rans). Inevitable under this ownership. Millionaires in a billionaires game. Little point being too emotionally invested in it all tbf when the game is basically pay to win these days.

• Like 1

Remind me where we finished last season Pukki sadly lost his edge and we suffered as a result. We still haven’t replaced him. 

But look at recent successful seasons and tell me how many he scored then. That’s the sort of striker you need. Sarge might come good but not all that likely 

15 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Remind me where we finished last season Pukki sadly lost his edge and we suffered as a result. We still haven’t replaced him. 

But look at recent successful seasons and tell me how many he scored then. That’s the sort of striker you need. Sarge might come good but not all that likely 

Again how many goals did sargent and Pukki score last season? 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

How dare you point out that our supposed ‘star’ striker was anything but last season!  I think we’ll have far more threat this season with Barnes and Sargent.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

What’s your point. I am arguing we haven’t replaced peak Pukki whose loss of form last season contributed to the failure. Sarge got an alright amount and was better than Pukki - but he wasn’t a replacement for peak Pukki. And that is what we require. Nor is Barnes and certainly not the inexplicable 5 yr contract man 

33 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I praise the Lord that he thinks this summer is a disaster, when he thought we’d had our best ever transfer window or some such boll0cks, we were absolute sh1te. Bodes well. 

😅😅😅😅

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

What’s your point. I am arguing we haven’t replaced peak Pukki whose loss of form last season contributed to the failure. Sarge got an alright amount and was better than Pukki - but he wasn’t a replacement for peak Pukki. And that is what we require. Nor is Barnes and certainly not the inexplicable 5 yr contract man 

Come off if mate 

you were trying to make a point which belittles the club (again) and been caught out (again) 

my point is sargent scored more goals than Pukki this season and played half the season on the wing! 

Pukki once was our star striker but so was Iwan Roberts 

• Like 1

We are not imploding. 
shakey start. Wagner gone at christmas. 
Russ has shakey start at Soton. Gone at Crimbo. 
Delia gets lovely Russ back. Neil finds a gem once Webber has gone. Late charge for play offs. Carra Rud buzzing. 
The model is working, we go again in 24/25. 
p.s Max is still here. 
Now there is a bet!!

This summer is one which if we’re all honest is very confusing! We’ve lost some players who have been excellent and replaced them with three experienced players heading towards end of their playing career and really nothing we can call a marquee signing! But we still have Aaron’s, Omobamadele & Sarah so key players! 
SD on the way out and a take over in doubt! So reality is very much in question, none of us really can call it right now, but certainly has a potential to be brilliant or a catastrophic season! As any season, I have hope in Wagner he’s a manager who I think fits us and I want to succeed, I just question if we really have the quality given last season and those here now! We shall see!

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

When did Delia and co last invest into the club/team?

That's old money, CC suggested the new Yanks were stepping away.

FCR with thousands booing the players off at halftime losing to Hull. The sad reality of the disconnect between the club and the majority of the fan base.

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

How dare you point out that our supposed ‘star’ striker was anything but last season!  I think we’ll have far more threat this season with Barnes and Sargent.

Yes but isn’t the lack of goals from Pukki a factor for us finishing mid table? I’m not sure this is a positive, is it? Do you think Barney’s can score 20 + goals in this coming season?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

This summer is one which if we’re all honest is very confusing! We’ve lost some players who have been excellent and replaced them with three experienced players heading towards end of their playing career and really nothing we can call a marquee signing! But we still have Aaron’s, Omobamadele & Sarah so key players! 
SD on the way out and a take over in doubt! So reality is very much in question, none of us really can call it right now, but certainly has a potential to be brilliant or a catastrophic season! As any season, I have hope in Wagner he’s a manager who I think fits us and I want to succeed, I just question if we really have the quality given last season and those here now! We shall see!

Jack Stacey is 27 

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but isn’t the lack of goals from Pukki a factor for us finishing mid table? I’m not sure this is a positive, is it? Do you think Barney’s can score 20 + goals in this coming season?

Well, quite, re Pukki: no goals from January for your main striker is dreadful.

It’s not really about whether Barnes scores 20 this season, it’s as much about what he can help create but I reckon on 10+; Sargent will get 20+ if fit, I’m certain of it. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, quite, re Pukki: no goals from January for your main striker is dreadful.

It’s not really about whether Barnes scores 20 this season, it’s as much about what he can help create but I reckon on 10+; Sargent will get 20+ if fit, I’m certain of it. 

hopefully Branston, but for Burnley last year I thought he only got 6 last season, to hope he gets 10+ is grasping I think….but who really knows.

41 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Jack Stacey is 27 

And? He’s not 21!

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

And? He’s not 21!

Right? Would hardly say he’s heading towards the end of his career either 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Right? Would hardly say he’s heading towards the end of his career either 

Really! As I said three experienced heading towards the end! Not just beginning!

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Really! As I said three experienced heading towards the end! Not just beginning!

Putting it that way, anyone over 25 is ancient in football terms!  I’ve never been too bothered by age, you do need a mix, but you also get guys who seem to lose it at 30 due to a build up of injuries or whatever, and others who seem to be able to go well into their late 30s. It’s more down to their general fitness levels (and a bit of luck). 

50 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Putting it that way, anyone over 25 is ancient in football terms!  I’ve never been too bothered by age, you do need a mix, but you also get guys who seem to lose it at 30 due to a build up of injuries or whatever, and others who seem to be able to go well into their late 30s. It’s more down to their general fitness levels (and a bit of luck). 

Indeed I’m not complaining just pointing out the three free signings are experienced and towards the end of their careers, 27 isn’t young in terms of football more towards end of prime, it’s a step away from early 20’s, I’m just saying these guys in might not be a step up in class but a change in mindset and play.

23 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The vibe seems very bad. We lost our star striker for nothing and cannot afford to replace him so are hoping others step up. We are trying to sell the talent we have and are bringing in older players with no resale value - always a sign of a club on the slide. We have a DOF who is half out the door and no obvious vision. A manager who has failed spectacularly in recent seasons and who flopped big time in his debut season with us. The new owners appear to either have cold feet or are being hampered from takeover by the old guard who just refuse to let go. And it is clear we don’t have a pot to pee in. So disappointing. It’s going to get ugly fast at this rate- club seem to be gambling on getting big bucks for Aarons or big Andy - but neither seems to be happening. Someone p%**d it all up the wall- and here we are. Looking more like a QPR or Birmingham than a top half team. But, hey, at least we have the ridiculous Hoggy to criticise us for speaking truth and assure us it’s all just swell…

Such a star striker that he went to a top side in one of the best leagues in the world... oh, wait!

Wasn't even top scorer last season was he?

19 hours ago, Indy said:

Indeed I’m not complaining just pointing out the three free signings are experienced and towards the end of their careers, 27 isn’t young in terms of football more towards end of prime, it’s a step away from early 20’s, I’m just saying these guys in might not be a step up in class but a change in mindset and play.

27 isn't 'towards end of prime'. It's honestly one of the strangest things I've seen.

26/27 is considered the start of a footballers peak, the end being 30/31. Though modern sports science appears to be pushing the back end. Usually it's when 'their legs go', but that can depend on play style.

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

27 isn't 'towards end of prime'. It's honestly one of the strangest things I've seen.

26/27 is considered the start of a footballers peak, the end being 30/31. Though modern sports science appears to be pushing the back end. Usually it's when 'their legs go', but that can depend on play style.

That’s where I’m at 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 21:13, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Out interest, we finished the season in relegation form and the league is clearly stronger this year, what makes you confident relegation won’t be an issue? 

What an absurd suggestion. If the previous seasons form was a prediction of the following season, then every season would finish exactly the same for every club. Our 'bouncing back' into the Pl rather knocks that nonsense on the head, as does the evidence of clubs finishing in the play offs one season and struggling the next. Of course, we have failed to sign anyone. There's err....ummm three other Championship clubs who have signed more. Just the three.

What about money ? Well apart from the £30m parachute payment, £8m Rashida, £3m Maddison, £1m Mumba and anything over £15m for Aarons, that is it. We've struggled to sellout season rickets - apart from the 20,000 we have sold. So why can't we be like the club some on here support. Those down the A140. You don't see them losing against two lower league teams in one afternoon .......well actually

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobJames said:

What about money ? Well apart from the £30m parachute payment, £8m Rashida, £3m Maddison, £1m Mumba and anything over £15m for Aarons, that is it. We've struggled to sellout season rickets - apart from the 20,000 we have sold. So why can't we be like the club some on here support. Those down the A140. You don't see them losing against two lower league teams in one afternoon .......well actually

You are aware the parachute money was already used to cover and service the 60 million pound debt? We haven’t sold Rashica or Aaron’s yet for any value and money from Mumba & Maddison will be cautiously spent as we will need to ensure future debt is covered, we will need to sell to cover next years debt build up.