Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

European Heatwave

Record number of 30c+ days in September for the UK. Floods in Greece, Spain etc.

Is this still the work of arsonists?

Climate denial is no different to flat earthers, the Queen is a lizard and 5G caused Covid stuff.

Yet still these morons tug themselves off in their bedroom at their mum's house to Jordan Peterson interviewing Bjorn Lomborg for 75th time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Record number of 30c+ days in September for the UK. Floods in Greece, Spain etc.

Climate denial is no different to flat earthers, the Queen is a lizard and 5G caused Covid stuff.

Yet still these morons tug themselves off in their bedroom at their mum's house to Jordan Peterson interviewing Bjorn Lomborg for 75th time.

Its those penguin researchers. Jools has been monitoring them and its their fault. There is no evidence that the heatwave in September or floods in Greece are other than normal. Apprently it got warm one September day in 1892 so it proves global warming or climate change doesn't exist.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Indeed, record rainfall in Spain and parts of China and Hong Kong.

Clearly there will be an explanation that Jools and Ricardo will be trawling the internet for now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172z09lhvtq6gh

On 29/08/2023 at 00:42, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I can’t believe how gullible you are believing these nut cases. 
Does he believe like you the earth is flat and the story of Jack and the beanstalk was factual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

I see the arsonists have moved to New York now and are all p****** in the streets and leaving their taps running.

I would lay off those booster jabs for a while, if I were you.

Still happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/01/autumn-heat-continues-in-europe-after-record-breaking-september

The EU climate monitor said in early September that global temperatures in the northern hemisphere summer were the hottest on record. The Copernicus Climate Change Service also expects 2023 to be the hottest year humanity has experienced.

Scientists say climate change driven by human activity is pushing global temperatures higher, with the world at around 1.2C of warming above pre-industrial levels. The disruption to the planet’s climate systems is making extreme weather events such as heatwaves, drought, wildfires and storms more frequent and more intense.

Météo-France’s Berne said heatwaves were also occurring outside the usual high summer months of July and August. “We’re seeing them in spring and September, even October, as modelled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPPC),” she said.

I'm a logical chap which means I tend to think logically and logic tells me that the only way to prevent climate change (make the world cooler) is to somehow push the Sun further away from Earth and/or vice versa...

Everything else is total b0ll0cks.

I've studied the science and it always leads to money, lots of it, but the humble public are never the beneficiaries...

Quite the opposite. 

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Still happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/01/autumn-heat-continues-in-europe-after-record-breaking-september

The EU climate monitor said in early September that global temperatures in the northern hemisphere summer were the hottest on record. The Copernicus Climate Change Service also expects 2023 to be the hottest year humanity has experienced.

Scientists say climate change driven by human activity is pushing global temperatures higher, with the world at around 1.2C of warming above pre-industrial levels. The disruption to the planet’s climate systems is making extreme weather events such as heatwaves, drought, wildfires and storms more frequent and more intense.

Météo-France’s Berne said heatwaves were also occurring outside the usual high summer months of July and August. “We’re seeing them in spring and September, even October, as modelled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPPC),” she said.

Every year is now the hottest on record each year every year.

Buckle up lads if you think it's getting hot now just you wait a decade from now. Or another decade..

Best invest in a lot of air conditoning. That or move to the North Pole..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

11 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I'm a logical chap which means I tend to think logically and logic tells me that the only way to prevent climate change (make the world cooler) is to somehow push the Sun further away from Earth and/or vice versa...

Everything else is total b0ll0cks.

I've studied the science and it always leads to money, lots of it, but the humble public are never the beneficiaries...

Quite the opposite. 

You do realize that to anybody who actually does understand (or at least attempts too) explain climate change you look an utter fool.

Your statement show's you don't even grasp the basic scientific arguments that some deniers have used to explain climate change that are at least worthy of debate although now debunked. You know things like albedo, axial precession and wobble and what may alter it (given your crude heat balance argument) and even yes the sun's cycles with associated feedbacks. Tropical or snowball earth let alone the ice ages didn't happen because the earth 'moved' in orbit and neither does it need to again to heat or indeed cool.

Stick to cherry picking in ignorance without context or understanding economic statistics. At least there you are less damaging to the world. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 10:23, Yellow Fever said:

You do realize that to anybody who actually does understand (or at least attempts too) explain climate change you look an utter fool.

Your statement show's you don't even grasp the basic scientific arguments that some deniers have used to explain climate change that are at least worthy of debate although now debunked. You know things like albedo, axial precession and wobble and what may alter it (given your crude heat balance argument) and even yes the sun's cycles with associated feedbacks. Tropical or snowball earth let alone the ice ages didn't happen because the earth 'moved' in orbit and neither does it need to again to heat or indeed cool.

Stick to cherry picking in ignorance without context or understanding economic statistics. At least there you are less damaging to the world. 

I strongly suggest you watch this:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I strongly suggest you watch this:

Retired in 2017. The point is that the earth has not moved closer or further to the sun as Hooks Walk 'theory' infers.

Climate models do try and take into account all the cyclic effects and by geological timescales rapid changes in ocean currents etc. Anyway - as you may or may not know she actually accepts man-made climate change and indeed the models but just the speed of it (or consequences) in the current models. Good for her - you need the odd dissenter to keep everybody honest.  

However, I strongly suggest you also listen to the 99% of current climate experts that are generally in-agreement with the trends and not just try to cherry pick the odd dissenter because it suits you. Although I'm always very keen to point out that weather (even record highs and low) are not climate but the recent global extremes, sea ice (even in this el-nino year) and so on have only weakened her position and strengthened the consensus.

And that at the end of the day is what it is. The settled scientific global (i.e not local politics) consensus.

If you want rebuke that you need strong proof to the contrary not trans-global conspiracy theories. I can assure you science will listen - we love to 'break ' theories if we can!

This article is of course in reality a 'political' interview playing to a skeptically biased US audience.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'm in Europe currently and it's seriously hot still. Incredibly hot for October. 

Yes - but I'd still call that weather or anecdotal evidence for climate change.

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Retired in 2017. The point is that the earth has not moved closer or further to the sun as Hooks Walk 'theory' infers.

Climate models do try and take into account all the cyclic effects and by geological timescales rapid changes in ocean currents etc. Anyway - as you may or may not know she actually accepts man-made climate change and indeed the models but just the speed of it (or consequences) in the current models. Good for her - you need the odd dissenter to keep everybody honest.  

However, I strongly suggest you also listen to the 99% of current climate experts that are generally in-agreement with the trends and not just try to cherry pick the odd dissenter because it suits you. Although I'm always very keen to point out that weather (even record highs and low) are not climate but the recent global extremes, sea ice (even in this el-nino year) and so on have only weakened her position and strengthened the consensus.

And that at the end of the day is what it is. The settled scientific global (i.e not local politics) consensus.

If you want rebuke that you need strong proof to the contrary not trans-global conspiracy theories. I can assure you science will listen - we love to 'break ' theories if we can!

This article is of course in reality a 'political' interview playing to a skeptically biased US audience.

I am also convinced that there is an anthropogenic element to the climate, however I am not at all sure how large it is & even what it's long term effect might be.

Scientific method is the means by which we determine the best predictive models. It works brilliantly in hard science - nobody has ever provided an instance of Ohm's Law, for example, not working; even then it only really works in laboratory conditions (STP & so forth) but the behaviour of conductors in different conditions can be accurately predicted by more sophisticated modelling without dumping the basic concept. Any scientific theory has first to be tested backwards (do previous data confirm the model or not) before observing predicted outcomes.

The more complex the situation the more difficult forming viable models becomes & the more statistically imperfect results (less than 100% predictive accuracy) are considered successful & taken to be accurate enough to be useful. Unfortunately it doesn't get much more complex than climate, & many of the factors influencing it since the planet's creation are but imperfectly understood.

I'm afraid my experience of scientists is not that good; as an undergraduate I couldn't understand why so many of my peers obtained decent results using the same derelict apparatus as myself until I discovered that many of them were simply making results up. My experience of fellow electronics engineers was similarly mixed - although of course many were motivated by a love of science & engineering there was usually an element of prevarication when it came to funding. Scientists are human, as prone to frailties as we all are, & have to live in the human world. I sometimes wonder if much of the most significant science was performed by those disinterested, eccentric, gentlemen scientists of yore who didn't have to worry about budgets or committees but just followed their passionate interest in the natural world.

So I'm sceptical as to how accurate any of the models are - 'Since Records Began' is really a miniscule time period. And it seems to me that it's part of the governmental tool kit to keep us permanently terrified & therefore malleable (not to mention wonderful raw material for the news industry).

Having said all that, the interviewer clearly had an agenda, but I ignored his leading questions & listened to Dr. Curry, who I found to be very sensible & not easily led. Overall my position is that we should be prudent regarding energy sources, but not to the point where it wrecks people's lives on the grounds of some highly speculative disaster scenario. Of which I have seen many throughout my life (cue the human race being wiped out by a disease transmitted by unsanitized telephones ...)

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 23:05, cambridgeshire canary said:

Every year is now the hottest on record each year every year.

Buckle up lads if you think it's getting hot now just you wait a decade from now. Or another decade..

Best invest in a lot of air conditoning. That or move to the North Pole..

Nope. We still haven't had two consecutive summers like 1975 and 1976. That is now almost 50 years ago. What has changed is that every single rainfall and every single forest fire is captured on a smartphone and relayed around the world in seconds leaving people scared and others laughing all the way to the click bank.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I am also convinced that there is an anthropogenic element to the climate, however I am not at all sure how large it is & even what it's long term effect might be.

Scientific method is the means by which we determine the best predictive models. It works brilliantly in hard science - nobody has ever provided an instance of Ohm's Law, for example, not working; even then it only really works in laboratory conditions (STP & so forth) but the behaviour of conductors in different conditions can be accurately predicted by more sophisticated modelling without dumping the basic concept. Any scientific theory has first to be tested backwards (do previous data confirm the model or not) before observing predicted outcomes.

The more complex the situation the more difficult forming viable models becomes & the more statistically imperfect results (less than 100% predictive accuracy) are considered successful & taken to be accurate enough to be useful. Unfortunately it doesn't get much more complex than climate, & many of the factors influencing it since the planet's creation are but imperfectly understood.

I'm afraid my experience of scientists is not that good; as an undergraduate I couldn't understand why so many of my peers obtained decent results using the same derelict apparatus as myself until I discovered that many of them were simply making results up. My experience of fellow electronics engineers was similarly mixed - although of course many were motivated by a love of science & engineering there was usually an element of prevarication when it came to funding. Scientists are human, as prone to frailties as we all are, & have to live in the human world. I sometimes wonder if much of the most significant science was performed by those disinterested, eccentric, gentlemen scientists of yore who didn't have to worry about budgets or committees but just followed their passionate interest in the natural world.

So I'm sceptical as to how accurate any of the models are - 'Since Records Began' is really a miniscule time period. And it seems to me that it's part of the governmental tool kit to keep us permanently terrified & therefore malleable (not to mention wonderful raw material for the news industry).

Having said all that, the interviewer clearly had an agenda, but I ignored his leading questions & listened to Dr. Curry, who I found to be very sensible & not easily led. Overall my position is that we should be prudent regarding energy sources, but not to the point where it wrecks people's lives on the grounds of some highly speculative disaster scenario. Of which I have seen many throughout my life (cue the human race being wiped out by a disease transmitted by unsanitized telephones ...)

Can agree with a lot it that Ron and these models are of course under continuous updates and verification. They are however the best we have and although the absolute warming might be more or less than predicted they certainly indicate direction and reason to be concerned. September was the hottest global year ever (in our recrods)

What we need to avoid though is the people who with Covid models (again insufficient information as to all including human factors) who because the models didn’t perfectly predict exactly the numbers dismissed them entirely. That way lies disaster.

Odd you mention Ohms law. I nearly once fooled myself measuring a heterojuntion BJT I'd made which appeared to have some negative resistance characteristic. Got all excited about a paper but investigation revealed it was a spurious oscillation in the measuring apparatus.

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Nope. We still haven't had two consecutive summers like 1975 and 1976. That is now almost 50 years ago. What has changed is that every single rainfall and every single forest fire is captured on a smartphone and relayed around the world in seconds leaving people scared and others laughing all the way to the click bank.

I guess you have searched the internet to find that. The bit to add is it is now regularly hotter than it was in 1976. This weekend in October the temperatures will hit 26 degrees in some parts of the U.K. Tempratures in parts of Europe are still around 40 degrees, and the last 4 years globally have been the hottest recorded.

The 1976 heatwave was a rarity within its decade. Heatwaves in the UK and worldwide have since become more frequent and intense due to climate change.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The clue is in the word " global ".

How global temperatures have changed

Mining companies

Plimer is the former non-executive director of CBH Resources Limited from 1998 to 2010, former non-executive director of Angel Mining plc from 2003 to 2005, former director of Kimberley Metals Limited from 2008 to 2009, former director of KBL Mining Limited from 2008 to 2009 and former director of Ormil Energy Limited from 2010 to 2011.[22][10][23]

He is currently the non-executive deputy chairman of KEFI Minerals since 2006,[24] independent non-executive director of Ivanhoe Australia Limited since 2007,[25] chairman of TNT Mines Limited since 2010,[19][26] non-executive director of Niuminco Group Limited (formerly DSF International Holdings Limited) since 2011,[27][28] and non-executive director of Silver City Minerals Limited since 2011.[10][23][29][30][31] Plimer was appointed director of Roy Hill Holdings and Queensland Coal Investments in 2012.[32]

According to a columnist in The Age, Plimer earned over $400,000 (AUD) from several of these companies, and he has mining shares and options worth hundreds of thousands of Australian dollars.[33] Plimer has stated that his business interests do not affect the independence of his beliefs.[29] He has also warned that the proposed Australian carbon-trading scheme could decimate the Australian mining industry.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Mining companies

Plimer is the former non-executive director of CBH Resources Limited from 1998 to 2010, former non-executive director of Angel Mining plc from 2003 to 2005, former director of Kimberley Metals Limited from 2008 to 2009, former director of KBL Mining Limited from 2008 to 2009 and former director of Ormil Energy Limited from 2010 to 2011.[22][10][23]

He is currently the non-executive deputy chairman of KEFI Minerals since 2006,[24] independent non-executive director of Ivanhoe Australia Limited since 2007,[25] chairman of TNT Mines Limited since 2010,[19][26] non-executive director of Niuminco Group Limited (formerly DSF International Holdings Limited) since 2011,[27][28] and non-executive director of Silver City Minerals Limited since 2011.[10][23][29][30][31] Plimer was appointed director of Roy Hill Holdings and Queensland Coal Investments in 2012.[32]

According to a columnist in The Age, Plimer earned over $400,000 (AUD) from several of these companies, and he has mining shares and options worth hundreds of thousands of Australian dollars.[33] Plimer has stated that his business interests do not affect the independence of his beliefs.[29] He has also warned that the proposed Australian carbon-trading scheme could decimate the Australian mining industry.

Brilliant. Somehow people have been convinced these types AREN'T the elite. It's mad.

7 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Brilliant. Somehow people have been convinced these types AREN'T the elite. It's mad.

The vast majority of these cranks have clear and provable links to mining or the fossil fuels industries. It's disappointing that the climate debate is still at this stage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Serious reports coming out about the depth of the Amazon river.

I am sure Jools will have an explanation.

I think he'll go with "that's what they want you to think, it's actually all just an optical illusion caused by the vaccine and there's really more water there than there's ever been".

Apples

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

I think he'll go with "that's what they want you to think, it's actually all just an optical illusion caused by the vaccine and there's really more water there than there's ever been".

Apples

They took the measurements when the tide was out.

• Haha 1