Terminally Yellow

My best guess as to what Wagner is thinking...

Likely In The First Team: Gunn, Stacey, Duffy, McLean, Sara, Sargent 

Likely In The Squad At Least: Krul, McCallum, Giannoulis, Nunez, Barnes, Idah, Mumba, Onel, Gibbs, Sorenson, Gibson

Players for Whom the Jury is Out: Placheta, Rowe (I suspect we'll see both stay, particularly with Sainz injury)

Likely Leaving: Aarons, Omo, Rashica, Tzolis, Springett (loan), Kamara (loan) 

Injured: Tomkinson, Sainz, Hanley

Positions Still Up For Grabs in First XI: Left Back, Centre back, Both Wings

Do you think that's a fair assessment right now? 

• Like 1

Sounds about right can only see Tzolis leaving on loan if he does though as we will hope he hits some form and valuation rises.

19 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Likely In The Squad At Least: Krul, McCallum, Giannoulis, Nunez, Barnes, Idah, Mumba, Onel, Gibbs, Sorenson, Gibson

Players for Whom the Jury is Out: Placheta, Rowe (I suspect we'll see both stay, particularly with Sainz injury)

And a striker, loan out Idah! 

3 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

And a striker, loan out Idah! 

While I agree, this is about what Wagner is thinking. I don't think we are looking at signing another striker. 

Just now, RobJames said:

I have a feeling Fisher might break into the squad

I was thinking about the LB position; I wonder whether Mumba might end up as our left back. Might mean Fisher brought in as back up to Stacey? 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

While I agree, this is about what Wagner is thinking. I don't think we are looking at signing another striker. 

Just Sgt and Barnes ? Barnes replacing Pukki in numbers is not enough. I would expect  at least one more.

The only difference for me is that I would be surprised if Barnes is not going to start most games and therefore is in the first group more than just in the squad.

Edited by Mutley

33 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Not far off I imagine!   What a mess we’ve made in just 2 years.   

• Like 1

I hope Wagner is thinking because, after our disastrous form for the second half of last season, I have tried not to think about us at all so far in this closed season.

I agree with most of the OPs thoughts but, with the resources currently available, I am struggling to think beyond another 13th place finish, if we are lucky.

If only one of our players discovers his inner 'superstar' in the coming season it will be a real bonus. Unfortunately, if we are to make any positive mark in the Championship, I feel we need three or four to do so, which is of course, extremely unlikely.

Fingers that Wagner can do a 'Farke' in his second season! 

2 minutes ago, Mutley said:

The only difference for me is that I would be surprised that Barnes is not going to be in the team more than simply in the squad. 

Agree

The other point is whether Gino, Gibson, Sorensen, Placheta and MaCallum will still be here by Sept as they are all out of contract next summer. Omo may leave this summer. So it is rather hard to pick at this stage.

13 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Just Sgt and Barnes ? Barnes replacing Pukki in numbers is not enough. I would expect  at least one more.

Sargent, Barnes and Idah. We know that Wagner likes three strikers. I would not expect another striker. 

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yes thanks Webber.

40 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If we don’t sign a fit CDM this year then somebody’s not been doing their job- the rest is a fair assessment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I don’t think it’s a mess, it’s the climb out of the hole, the beginning of the new journey…

• Like 4

Just now, Channon’s Windmill said:

If we don’t sign a fit CDM this year then somebody’s not been doing their job- the rest is a fair assessment.

Again, I agree. But I think Wagner looks set to go with McLean and Sorenson. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sargent, Barnes and Idah. We know that Wagner likes three strikers. I would not expect another striker. 

I think you’re right but there has to be some focus on creativity in the forward play, so I’m expecting and hoping for another sort of playmaker to come in. Akin to a Mooy style player who thrived in Wagner’s previous set up at Hddrs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Idah ! ! !  Did you watch him today, or in any other game. He is like a riderless horse in the Grand National. Doing his best to no purpose.  Get an injury to Barnes or Sgt and..... remember how we collapsed after losing both CBs. Imagine both forwards out.

• Like 2

Just now, RobJames said:

Idah ! ! !  Did you watch him today, or in any other game. He is like a riderless horse in the Grand National. Doing his best to no purpose.  Get an injury to Barnes or Sgt and..... remember how we collapsed after losing both CBs. Imagine both forwards out.

Again, I'm not talking about my opinion on Idah. I'm talking about what I think Wagner is thinking. And if you think we're likely to cast Idah aside, you're not watching closely enough. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I think and hope the intention is for the goals are to be spread across the forward line. Not reliant on a particular focal point like we did Pukki. Who, if we negated, meant we were toothless. Let’s hope a random playmaker gets signed in the next few weeks then… 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Again, I'm not talking about my opinion on Idah. I'm talking about what I think Wagner is thinking. And if you think we're likely to cast Idah aside, you're not watching closely enough. 

Yep. Again, it’s not about a focal point. It’s about using link up players and bringing others into play to reduce the need for a one man band. 

26 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I agree but more fool the manager! Another striker is a major necessity along with proper CDM (not just someone who 'can do a job there'!!) 

My best guess as to what Wagner is thinking...

image.jpeg.5e4f62439b0138d3e80ea9c22268ee02.jpegimage.jpeg.656dd1ba89adfc60d31cd94d0702988a.jpeg

....."I wonder if I'm a success.....that they'll paint my mural on that pub's blank wall?".....

• Haha 1

Quite down hearted that Tzolis isn't getting time this pre-season so far.  Just do not get it at all, and I feel quite negative towards Wagner for this right now.

Outside of defensive mid, Our biggest issue over the past season and more has been lack of creativity, and my fear is that he's concentrating too much on players who run and work hard as a constant, rather than players who are more dynamic and able to shift gears when needed.

We've seen it before where you have a team of headless chickens, and no-one able to find the killer ball to unlock defences.   And I'm starting to worry that it's going to repeat again where we field with Idah, Onel &  Rowe ahead of more refined players.

I'm not saying either are bad players, more that there needs to be a balance from a technical perspective.

• Like 1

Seems a shame as he has clearly knuckled down and got in excellent shape this summer. Made little sense to me today that springett got so many minutes ahead of him .

• Like 1

Still three friendlies left. I suspect these will be less rotation, more refinement of what we plan to go into the season with. We’ll have a better idea of what Wagner’s thinking then, beyond just ‘having a look at everybody’. Though I do think he rather likes Placheta. 

If Tzolis doesn’t feature predominantly in the AZ game, I think that’ll speak volumes. 

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Quite down hearted that Tzolis isn't getting time this pre-season so far.  Just do not get it at all, and I feel quite negative towards Wagner for this right now.

Tzolis has had around the same minutes as the rest of our wide players. And looked less threatening than most of them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Tzolis has had around the same minutes as the rest of our wide players. And looked less threatening than most of them.

Yeah. I see a lot of comments like "Tzolis hasn't had an opportunity". I'm wondering whether in truth that's more a sign of people simply haven't noticed him when he's been played, probably a sign he should be on his way. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yeah. I see a lot of comments like "Tzolis hasn't had an opportunity". I'm wondering whether in truth that's more a sign of people simply haven't noticed him when he's been played, probably a sign he should be on his way. 

What I will say is its the first time he's looked genuinely fit since he signed for us, which is a start.

I still don't see what he does to worry a defence though. I think most fullbacks would be pretty happy if they're up against him, as would centrebacks. 

Unless he has terrific movement which we've yet to really see.

48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sure he has, and same number of starts too, right?

image.png.b284713e67a41d579fc09a548983a9ac.png

For a guy that needs gametime it's pretty ****.  Not one start, not one game played over 45 mins, and just 12 mins today.

Even then he nearly got through on goal to score in the measly time offered today.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Thanks 1