Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Still here?

Early days of course but whilst we have snapped up some canny free signings we are yet to really get going in the window and training has now started. Are we perhaps finding it hard to sell our own due to under performance last season? 

Omo and Aarons have been hoisted into the window for months now with flashing lights all around them screaming please buy me.  Yet despite a few links remain here at present…

The longer they are here presumably the less money we will eventually make. Any firm news on the departures? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Early days of course but whilst we have snapped up some canny free signings we are yet to really get going in the window and training has now started. Are we perhaps finding it hard to sell our own due to under performance last season? 

Omo and Aarons have been hoisted into the window for months now with flashing lights all around them screaming please buy me.  Yet despite a few links remain here at present…

The longer they are here presumably the less money we will eventually make. Any firm news on the departures? 

When has that ever been the case? Chelsea haven't been rejecting Mount bids in the hope they'll get less for him, for example.

• Like 1

Interestingly at the forum last night DW said we didn't need to sell anyone. 

He also said he hoped to bring in more players, BUT, doesn't promise things that may not happen, so no guarantees.

Aaron's is at the euros. I doubt he's discussing his future right this minute.

We can't force clubs to buy our players. I'd rather we didn't sell at all than sell on the cheap.

Omo didn't have a great season. I wouldn't be surprised if interest has faded.

9 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Is that the best you can do ?  Ours is down to under performance (allegedly) whereas other clubs are afforded any number of reasons.

However, is Aarons U21 call up down to this 'underperformance', as is OMO's Ireland call up ?

Not good enough, I am afraid. Your sort need to be a little more subtle in your dislike of the club.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RobJames said:

Is that the best you can do ?  Ours is down to under performance (allegedly) whereas other clubs are afforded any number of reasons.

However, is Aarons U21 call up down to this 'underperformance', as is OMO's Ireland call up ?

Not good enough, I am afraid. Your sort need to be a little more subtle in your dislike of the club.

I can’t imagine an existence of dreaming up new ways to batter the club 

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Aaron's is at the euros. I doubt he's discussing his future right this minute.

We can't force clubs to buy our players. I'd rather we didn't sell at all than sell on the cheap.

Omo didn't have a great season. I wouldn't be surprised if interest has faded.

It’s already been discussed and he’s off 

I caught a bit of talk sport the other evening and they were singing Omo's praises saying he has all the attributes to be a top, top defender.

They conceded at times he wasn't the best but they definitely think he is a player on the upward trajectory, saying things like he is in the national side ect.

Wether he stays or goes remains to be seen I suppose.

Omo will be £20m to us with sell ons as he will be a multi million pound player in the future. Imagine how good he will be when he has been coached at the very top level. He has been described as the new Paul Mgrath and how much would he be worth if he was playing now ?

8 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Omo will be £20m to us with sell ons as he will be a multi million pound player in the future. Imagine how good he will be when he has been coached at the very top level. He has been described as the new Paul Mgrath and how much would he be worth if he was playing now ?

The new Paul Mcgrath is quite the stretch! The new Ben Godfrey perhaps...

I would bet better than Godfrey but not quite McGrath. But time will tell. Godfrey was unlucky with injury and playing in a poor Everton team- hoping he kicks on this year. There is a top player in there somewhere 

On 27/06/2023 at 07:55, hogesar said:

When has that ever been the case? Chelsea haven't been rejecting Mount bids in the hope they'll get less for him, for example.

It somewhat depends on the leverage though.

We're obviously very keen to sell and I'd imagine we're also keen to sell relatively early this window to use the money to strengthen the squad. 

I'm sure we're not jumping at the first bid that comes in but I doubt we're in a position to really drive a hard bargain all things considered.

Whether Oma goes or does not we need another CB, 3 CB's is the Norwich way, but has been a poor decision in past.  From what I have seen of him Oma is poor as CB, perhaps you are placing your opinions on the fact he is a unit.  £20m bite their hand off.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

It somewhat depends on the leverage though.

We're obviously very keen to sell and I'd imagine we're also keen to sell relatively early this window to use the money to strengthen the squad. 

I'm sure we're not jumping at the first bid that comes in but I doubt we're in a position to really drive a hard bargain all things considered.

Agree, but I was primarily disagreeing with the notion that because we haven't sold them in the first couple of days of the transfer window, we're going to get less money for them

I think it is almost impossible for supporters to correctly "value" their own players. I don't rate Aarons highly at all, yet most do and he is a regular for England under 21 so clearly I am wrong. I think Andrew O is bigged up because he is a young, Irish centre back and there aren't many of them around at this level. 

£30m for the pair would be fantastic business - I don't think we'll get that.

The basic problem with almost every NCFC academy product I've seen in recent years has been their lack of positional awareness. They can have as much skill as they like and be wonderfully athletic but they all seem to get lost on the pitch.

Conversely £40m for Maddison in the current market is an absolute steal and I have no idea what Leicester are thinking, unless getting Winks cheaply is the counter to keep both fees low. Not sure that's cricket, but it would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

The amount of clubs that who spend money on transfer fees has greatly diminished therefore if those clubs are not interested it is hard to move players on mid contract full stop.

Although he got a lot of stick here we let Jordan Hugill leave for another championship team for no fee. The guy is a 10-15 goal a season championship striker. The reality is no club looking for a player 10-15 goal championship striker is capable of paying a fee. Likewise I believe we wanted a fee for Josh Martin even a nominal amount 50k-100k again no league 1 or 2 teams pays fees anymore. The vast majority of the championship do not either.

I can foresee someone playing hardball on Aarons and saying paying a loan fee only when scoping him up at the end of his contract for free. As let’s be honest if someone really wanted him he would have gone years ago.

On 13/06/2023 at 18:49, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Kieran Scott that would be my shout too.