I imagine the Aussies are still seething from the Duckett non-catch: it was definitely not out per the rules.  Sadly, it does appear that Bairstow was technically out so they will point to the rules and say that’s fair enough.

Definitely, 100%, not in the spirit of the game though and pretty poor.  They could have made their point and retracted the appeal, it’s sad for cricket that they didn’t.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I imagine the Aussies are still seething from the Duckett non-catch: it was definitely not out per the rules.  Sadly, it does appear that Bairstow was technically out so they will point to the rules and say that’s fair enough.

Definitely, 100%, not in the spirit of the game though and pretty poor.  They could have made their point and retracted the appeal, it’s sad for cricket that they didn’t.

Exactly, both were within the rules of the game, but there was no 'spirit of the game' issue with the Duckett catch. It's a black and white, not out decision. The one today was a 'spirit of the game' incident, as Bairstow was clearly not attempting a run or trying to gain any advantage by wandering out of his crease. 

• Like 1

It’s a shame Cummins is a great player, but has very much gone down in my estimation as should have withdrawn the appeal. Carey meanwhile has always been a cont.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

The only way for cricket to win here is for England to somehow win the game, but that’s still very doubtful.  

Isn’t it a shame that the world’s best team doesn’t have any idea about the spirit of the game, which has been so key to it being the sport is?

• Like 1

And that streak of pi** yesterday - a catch? that? It was closer to being using the pitch as sandpaper than being a catch. Would've been told off in school cricket for claiming that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Let's just say it as it is - they're sh*ts.

They will do anything to win. They have after all a recent record of actually cheating. Smith, the cry baby on television and Ruud boy Warner got just one year's ban for their deceit. 

The spirit of the game doesn't exist in their book.

If they are happy to win by such means then good luck to the lot of 'em.

Let's hope it comes back to haunt them. They've fired two feisty characters up there.

(I'm even angrier than Stuart Broad.)

• Like 1

I was initially enraged but the lunch analysis made some good points.

1- we did the same last summer

2- Bairstow was constantly out of his crease ball after ball 

3- Carey didn't stop and wait- one fluid motion from catching the ball to chucking it at the stumps because Bairstow was already basically out of his crease before the ball reached the keeper.

Questions about spirit sure but it was braindead by Bairstow.

• Like 1

Looking at the replay Bairstow clearly put his foot back in the crease and looked round before walking up the wicket. He may have been a bit too hurried but nobody is going to convince me that this dismissal is within the spirit of the game. Win at all costs, ok but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

3- Carey didn't stop and wait- one fluid motion from catching the ball to chucking it at the stumps because Bairstow was already basically out of his crease before the ball reached the keeper.

They're still sh*ts

Stokes has had enough now, this will be either heroic or Aussies win in the next hours play

1 minute ago, king canary said:

1. Is in no way similar to Bairstow's dismissal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Must admit I’m on the Aussies side here. Stupid by Bairstowe and they are just playing the rules of the game. Sod all this it isn’t cricket rubbish. The Aussies are winners and this proves it. England can cry as much as they want.

Ironically I hope players like Barnes bring the do what you need to do to win attitude rather than the nice little Norwich approach to our team for next season!

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Whether we like it or not, this is 100% true. Might go against the Aussies though as they've clearly enraged Stokes

Bairstow was careless. There was a lot of pressure out there, a lot of tension. He's always relieved that by prodding the pitch needlessly. Others do this as well. It gives them a moment's breather before resuming the crease.

The only stupid thing he did was being careless against the Aussies.

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

One of the old boys in the long room having to be resrained there 🤣

Were any empty tonic water bottles being thrown?

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Were any empty tonic water bottles being thrown?

A few walking sticks waggled in the air.

It was akin to the City Stand doing more than loud tutting 😁

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree with one-and-a-half points there. 

Point one was not the same situation and isn't comparable.

Point two is correct. It's naive from Bairstow.

Point three is half correct. It was one fluid motion and he clearly did it because of point two. However, Bairstow was miles in his crease when Carey released the ball and only left it when the ball was closer to the stumps than Carey's hand.

It's similar to a Mankad, really: just a player dozily leaving his crease. I'd argue this is probably worse than a Mankad, because at least a non-striker leaving his crease early gives a very marginal advantage, whereas Bairstow was clearly not attempting a run or trying to gain anything whatsoever.

Has to be questions of the umpiring over the Bairstow stumping. He is clearly out of his ground, so why was it referred to the 3rd umpire?

The onfield umpires should know if the ball is dead or not 

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

1. Is in no way similar to Bairstow's dismissal.

You’re right, it wasn’t.  Anyone saying otherwise is just wrong.

Re: 2 - the ball Is normally considered dead when the keeper takes it, so an irrelevant point.

For 3, see two and also consider the rest of the wider angles and they ‘should’ have retracted.  I once saw Matthew Fleming playing for Kent  ‘mankad’ a guy but did it as a warning: he’s old school.

It’s all largely irrelevant - Bairstow’s out in the book, but this will run and run.

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

A few walking sticks waggled in the air.

It was akin to the City Stand doing more than loud tutting 😁

Good for them though - the shock of it riled the sh*ts

You have to realise that Cricket is Australia's main sport followed by Rugby League and then Aussie Rules. Not like most other nations. And it is so important for them to be the best at anything but Cricket epecially. They have done it many times in the past including the infamous under arm bowling.

Having said that, I have seen the Root dismissal caught by Smith and the Duckett one and on both occasions there is clear evidence of the ball touching the ground. If there is any doubt, as in LBW, the advantage must go to the batsman. Glenn McGrath is so anti us that he is still adamant about the Duckett dismissal.

I really hope Stokes can perform a miracle and theat he has calmed down over lunch. He has done it before and as long as he is clam he can still be attacking.

And now Smith has dropped him there is still a chance. 

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Don't fall for the Murdoch mandated horse-**** parrotted by those on the BSkyB payroll. It was absolutely nothing like the New Zealand incident, he padded it into the outfield, it was quite clearly a live ball and the batsman desperately threw his bat back to the crease to get back in.

Morgan has a Murdoch wage to keep and Ponting is an Aussie. They literally showed you the incident was not the same whilst telling you that it was. Believe your eyes, not your ears.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1