Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Blackpool

I've been a bit under the weather after another round of hospital treatment this week and toyed with the idea of giving it a miss this afternoon. I didn't really want to miss Pukki's send off so when my daughter offered to drive us down and pick us up I felt I ought to push myself and go. We got to the ground early and it was great to see all the Pukki flags and the big one at the Barclay End, it was a great show of respect and no more than the great man deserved.

City set off in fine style and the visitors were soon on the back foot with Hernandez firing one in from the edge of the box that was a yard or two off target. There was some nice slick play coming in from both wings and Blackpool had to defend in numbers as the home forwards tried to find space to get a shot in. The approach play was good but the visitors always managed to close the door before the vital moment. Tzolis was the next to send a low shot a yard wide  then Gibbs found Aarons with a nice cossfield ball but Pukki couldn't quite get proper contact when the ball was quickly pulled back to him and the ball flew wide. Then Sara worked himself space twenty five yards out but the shot beat both goalie and bar as it flicked the top of the net going over.

It was pretty much one way traffic for the opening quarter but the way its gone this season I couldn't help myself and mentioned to my Great Grandson that this is where it usually falls apart. Literally within thirty seconds it did, as Blackpool got the rub of the green with Bowler retaining possession while breaking through two or three tackles before feeding Rogers, who lifted the ball over Gunn for an undeserved lead. The lad gave me a wry look as though I had deliberately talked it up but it has happened so many times you are almost waiting for it to happen.

City should have been back level fairly quickly as some close play in the visitors box gave Pukki a half chance from about eight yards only for Grimshaw to get a hand to it. I'm not sure if it hit the post because they all jumped up infront of me as Nunez pounced on the rebound only to have the effort blocked by a defender. Then it was Sara again with a lovely low shot that appeared to be curling into the corner only for Grimshaw to acrobatically deny him with a fine save to his right.

City kept up the pressure and Nunez had a free kick diverted just over and then just before the break Pukki beat the offside trap, turned inside two defenders only for his shot to be deflected over the bar with the keeper helpless. Chances were being created but it always seemed to be a case of not quite and as Hernandez switched to the other wing his run inside left the fullback standing but the cross was again not quite pulled back enough for Pukki to pounce. It was massively disappointing to go in behind again but that seems to be the pattern for this half of the season.

City continued in the ascendancy as the second half began and Hernandez and Pukki both went close. The City Talisman latched onto a pass from Nunez and on ninety nine other occassions his low shot would have nestled in the corner but unfortunately on this one it went wide of the post. Wagner decided to change it early but I couldn't see for the life of me what replacing Tzolis and Nunez with Idah and Rowe was supposed to accomplish. If anything it led to Blackpool getting more of the ball in midfield and a couple of times Gunn had to stand strong to deny the visitors increasing their lead with swift breakaways.

There were a couple of chances as time moved on but Idah fired wide when he should have passed and Pukki could only find the keeper when offered a sharp chance. The longer it went on the less likely it looked that we would get anything from the game. Thankfully chants of Webber out were silenced when Pukki took his emotional final bow on eighty minutes. Teemu was my late sons favourite player and memories of the times we had hugged each other in delight came flooding back and I'm not ashamed to say my face was wet with tears as the whole stadium rose to applaud him. It was such a shame that the great man could not find the net one more time, it would have left us with something to cheer in what has been for me a season to forget.

Once again I left before the end, mainly so my daughter could pick us up but its not really a good habit to get into otherwise I would have missed some of those great memories that Teemu gave us over the years.

A sad and dismal season best forgotten and one that will make many question if its worth the candle. To them I say, "Stay Strong" its the weak that fall by the wayside. While we live and breathe there will always be next season. OTBC

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 17

Thanks Ricardo.  One of those games where you just knew we wouldn’t score.  Such terrible home form with so few goals.  28 shots I think!!  
As you say, there’s always next year.  OTBC!!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I've been a bit under the weather after another round of hospital treatment this week and toyed with the idea of giving it a miss this afternoon. I didn't really want to miss Pukki's send off so when my daughter offered to drive us down and pick us up I felt I ought to push myself and go. We got to the ground early and it was great to see all the Pukki flags and the big one at the Barclay End, it was a great show of respect and no more than the great man deserved.

City set off in fine style and the visitors were soon on the back foot with Hernandez firing one in from the edge of the box that was a yard or two off target. There was some nice slick play coming in from both wings and Blackpool had to defend in numbers as the home forwards tried to find space to get a shot in. The approach play was good but the visitors always managed to close the door before the vital moment. Tzolis was the next to send a low shot a yard wide  then Gibbs found Aarons with a nice cossfield ball but Pukki couldn't quite get proper contact when the ball was quickly pulled back to him and the ball flew wide. Then Sara worked himself space twenty five yards out but the shot beat both goalie and bar as it flicked the top of the net going over.

It was pretty much one way traffic for the opening quarter but the way its gone this season I couldn't help myself and mentioned to my Great Grandson that this is where it usually falls apart. Literally within thirty seconds it did, as Blackpool got the rub of the green with Bowler retaining possession while breaking through two or three tackles before feeding Rogers, who lifted the ball over Gunn for an undeserved lead. The lad gave me a wry look as though I had deliberately talked it up but it has happened so many times you are almost waiting for it to happen.

City should have been back level fairly quickly as some close play in the visitors box gave Pukki a half chance from about eight yards only for Grimshaw to get a hand to it. I'm not sure if it hit the post because they all jumped up infront of me as Nunez pounced on the rebound only to have the effort blocked by a defender. Then it was Sara again with a lovely low shot that appeared to be curling into the corner only for Grimshaw to acrobatically deny him with a fine save to his right.

City kept up the pressure and Nunez had a free kick diverted just over and then just before the break Pukki beat the offside trap, turned inside two defenders only for his shot to be deflected over the bar with the keeper helpless. Chances were being created but it always seemed to be a case of not quite and as Hernandez switched to the other wing his run inside left the fullback standing but the cross was again not quite pulled back enough for Pukki to pounce. It was massively disappointing to go in behind again but that seems to be the pattern for this half of the season.

City continued in the ascendancy as the second half began and Hernandez and Pukki both went close. The City Talisman latched onto a pass from Nunez and on ninety nine other occassions his low shot would have nestled in the corner but unfortunately on this one it went wide of the post. Wagner decided to change it early but I couldn't see for the life of me what replacing Tzolis and Nunez with Idah and Rowe was supposed to accomplish. If anything it led to Blackpool getting more of the ball in midfield and a couple of times Gunn had to stand strong to deny the visitors increasing their lead with swift breakaways.

There were a couple of chances as time moved on but Idah fired wide when he should have passed and Pukki could only find the keeper when offered a sharp chance. The longer it went on the less likely it looked that we would get anything from the game. Thankfully chants of Webber out were silenced when Pukki took his emotional final bow on eighty minutes. Teemu was my late sons favourite player and memories of the times we had hugged each other in delight came flooding back and I'm not ashamed to say my face was wet with tears as the whole stadium rose to applaud him. It was such a shame that the great man could not find the net one more time, it would have left us with something to cheer in what has been for me a season to forget.

Once again I left before the end, mainly so my daughter could pick us up but its not really a good habit to get into otherwise I would have missed some of those great memories that Teemu gave us over the years.

A sad and dismal season best forgotten and one that will make many question if its worth the candle. To them I say, "Stay Strong" its the weak that fall by the wayside. While we live and breathe there will always be next season. OTBC

Thanks Ricardo for all the round ups this season, hope you get well too.....indeed look forward to next season is all we can do as fans....stay safe and enjoy the summer.....OTBC

• Thanks 1

Fantastic report as ever mate

And your words about your personal situation makes us all realise whilst yes this is only a game, but our beautiful club has helped us through the extremely tragic circumstances with the help of people like Teemu who seems like a true gent.

Thank you Ricardo 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that report R. Things go round and we are in one of those ruts... where nothing goes for you. On another day we may have converted 2 or 3 of those first half chances. I was trying to think of the best word to describe the season. Players have not shown enough resilience, the management change hasn't worked and I'm unsure about Wagner's ability to turn this round. He may have had a similar background to DF but he somehow doesn't have the sharpness of Farke (he barely put a foot wrong in the 4 years in his post match thoughts) and in some ways Wagner isn't convincing. I have very little faith actually all will change next year...maybe the best word for this year is 'pathetic'. A strong word but we've fallen so far below most expectations. 

As for the next season I agree, it's another new term. Hope will return. In the meantime, I hope your treatments work and do the trick and you get stronger again. Football is just football at the end of the day and many things are far more important. That of course includes fellow fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

As for the next season I agree, it's another new term. Hope will return. In the meantime, I hope your treatments work and do the trick and you get stronger again. Football is just football at the end of the day and many things are far more important. That of course includes fellow fans.

Thanks SONYC, remissions come and go, as always I continue to remain positive because theres little sense in doing anything else.

I've paid for next seasons ticket and I have every intention of seeing another promotion before they haul me off.

• Like 7

Great stuff Rickyyy and I hope you are feeling well soon. At least we didn't get wet today.

If was hard to work out how we were playing today. Seems the whole game plan was to get Pukki a goal. I did think if we'd have had a plan to win the game Pukki might have got the goal anyway. But the ball won't go in for him or us at the moment. Glad the seasons done.

I'll be back for my 57th season in August. You'll be back for your seventy something? Let's hope it's better.

Edited by nutty nigel
💛⚽💚
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I'll be back for my 57th season in August. You'll be back for your seventy something? Let's hope it's better.

Its a bit scary when you see it in black and white Nutty.

At least our experience gives us the certainty that the good times will eventually return. I just hope its not too far off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

To them I say, "Stay Strong" its the weak that fall by the wayside. While we live and breathe there will always be next season. OTBC

Should be engraved in stone over the entrance to the PinkUn.

Well, you know what I mean.

Thanks so much Ricardo, all your posts are worth reading, your match summaries are, as often as not, as good as the professional journalists, but this is  quite possibly is your best yet. In hardship, the person we really are is revealed. ❤️

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Ricardo for your excellent match reports again this season - the brightest light in a very dismal season at home and collectively. We hope for better things next year. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your valuable insight Ricardo, very much appreciated. Sorry to say I fell by the wayside after the Farke debacle, but I still eagerly await for the Ricardo's report, so my heart is still interested in the Yella. Hope your health is ok, & wish you a speedy recovery, I look forward to your reports next season. Thank you, for keeping my flame flickering. Cheers, & good health my man!

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your sterling efforts in the face of such adversity, both on & off the pitch. I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Thanks 1

As many others have already said so well, thank you Ricardo. Enjoy the Summer, and see you again next season.

• Thanks 1