Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

Reversion to Mean - Lecester City

Run of 9 seasons in the EPL, 7 years since winning it and 3 years since winning the FA Cup it is looking likely that they will be joining us in the Chumps (or maybe even be a division lower than us).

Probably one to bare in mind next time someone talks about becoming an established Prem club, doubting ambition or asking why are we not Brentford?

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Run of 9 seasons in the EPL, 7 years since winning it and 3 years since winning the FA Cup it is looking likely that they will be joining us in the Chumps (or maybe even be a division lower than us).

Probably one to bare in mind next time someone talks about becoming an established Prem club, doubting ambition or asking why are we not Brentford?

Good God! They’ve had an awful time up there haven’t they. I’m delighted they look like coming down but let’s not compare ourselves to them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Good God! They’ve had an awful time up there haven’t they. I’m delighted they look like coming down but let’s not compare ourselves to them. 

Why not similar size clubs, although they have a rich owner and a nice new(ish) ground. I am sure they have loved the last 9 years but perhaps you cannot defy gravity forever.

Yes you can't defy it forever but they have, y'know, denied it for significantly longer than we have, while winning the league, the FA Cup, playing in the Champions League.

All you're illustrating by saying we're similar sized clubs is how much better this similar sized club has done than we have.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Why not similar size clubs, although they have a rich owner and a nice new(ish) ground. I am sure they have loved the last 9 years but perhaps you cannot defy gravity forever.

They are going down (hopefully) because a certain manager (on £200,000 a week) couldn’t get a tune out of a very good squad of players this season. 

Forget winning a Premier League title or a cup of any description. Most Norwich fans would be happy if a manager was finally backed properly and actually put up a fight of staying in that league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

All you're illustrating by saying we're similar sized clubs is how much better this similar sized club has done than we have.

Even with a clue in the title you don't get it, perhaps by choice, perhaps not.

We play another similar size club tonight, but that doesn't fit your point does it?

• Confused 2

I mean they have won the prem and the FA cup in the past decade so fair to say their fans have been on a hell of a ride in recent years.

Would be quite the drop to go down after all that.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

The Foxes have had more than a decent brush in the top-flight....Recent Prem Champs and FA Cup and a dabble in Europe?....I'd have that here....

• Like 1

Just now, Mello Yello said:

The Foxes have had more than a decent brush in the top-flight....Recent Prem Champs and FA Cup and a dabble in Europe?....I'd have that here....

Quarters of the Champions league and a semi in the Europa, I bet they’re jealous of our achievements. 

Just now, BigFish said:

Even with a clue in the title you don't get it, perhaps by choice, perhaps not.

We play another similar size club tonight, but that doesn't fit your point does it?

I get, it's just a largely stupid point. 

Yes Leicester might revert to the mean (although I'm not sure what their mean actually is in the current era, since the start of the Premier League they've spent 17 seasons in the top flight). However they managed to massively overachieve their mean for a extended period of time, something we've resolutely failed to do.

• Like 2

Quarters of the Champions league and a semi in the Europa, I bet they’re jealous of our achievements. 

Phoenix Thai AirAsia Airbus A320-200 Leicester City HS-ABV 1/400 - Aircraft  Model Store

Them^^^

Loganair chief executive reveals future fleet strategy

Us ^^^

Human-powered aircraft - Wikipedia

"Pedal faster Kenny Mac...it's only 250 clicks to Cardiff"...."We'll land in that field over there for a crew change if you're struggling"... 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

Human-powered aircraft - Wikipedia

"Pedal faster Kenny Mac...it's only 250 clicks to Cardiff"...."We'll land in that field over there for a crew change if you're struggling"... 

Good for his rehab, we need need him back to lead the way next season. 

Good for his rehab, we need need him back to lead the way next season. 

Also this POTS and our Fine City's next official Mayor....

12 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'm going to guess that if you've had a semi in Europe then you were in Amsterdam 

Or watching a live Sticky Vicky performance in Benidorm. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean they have won the prem and the FA cup in the past decade so fair to say their fans have been on a hell of a ride in recent years.

Would be quite the drop to go down after all that.

Whereas too many of our fans are happy to just yo yo between EPL and Championship and say that’s success! 

23 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If a well run ' established '  PL club like Leicester with all the success they've had in the last nine years now find themselves in the s*it what hope is there for the likes of clubs like ours ?

It's a fair point but I think despite the Leicester fan's woe's this season if they were offered their past 10 or so years but the consequence was a period of time spent in the Championship they'd take it every day of the week!

The only thing i'll add is there's a notion that our really poor Prem performance the last two times is the biggest problem, in that we attained so few points. I don't think in reality the complaints would be any different had we finished 19th.

22 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If a well run ' established '  PL club like Leicester with all the success they've had in the last nine years now find themselves in the s*it what hope is there for the likes of clubs like ours ?

So are you implying we (and similar clubs) just throw our hands in the air and slump away in sullen resignation then? Leicester got stuck in and actually competed! Wow just remember their successes - PL CHAMPIONS AND FA CUP WINNERS!

I think you'll find every single Yellow would snap your hand off if offered that tantalizing prospect and leave the current decline to sort out later!

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's a fair point but I think despite the Leicester fan's woe's this season if they were offered their past 10 or so years but the consequence was a period of time spent in the Championship they'd take it every day of the week!

The only thing i'll add is there's a notion that our really poor Prem performance the last two times is the biggest problem, in that we attained so few points. I don't think in reality the complaints would be any different had we finished 19th.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That relegation under Neil saw the players applauded off when relegation was confirmed. The last two efforts under maestro Webber were appalling. 

• Like 1

The reason that Leicester are in trouble is that they were caught by FFP.  A lovely man bought them success but unfortunately for them he wasn't clever enough, or rich enough, to get away with it in the long term. 

Surely the point of this post is not look what they've achieved but rather that there is no such thing as established in the PL (bar the top 6ish). Despite all they've achieved over the last ten years, one bad appointment and down they come...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The reason that Leicester are in trouble is that they were caught by FFP.  A lovely man bought them success but unfortunately for them he wasn't clever enough, or rich enough, to get away with it in the long term. 

Not true, have a look at that squad of players Rodgers had at his disposal. Yes a top 6 finish wasn’t on the cards this season but they should comfortably be in the top half now. 

5 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Surely the point of this post is not look what they've achieved but rather that there is no such thing as established in the PL (bar the top 6ish). Despite all they've achieved over the last ten years, one bad appointment and down they come...

I struggle to see how you can call Rodgers a bad appointment. Sure its gone badly this season but he took them to a European semi final last season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Totally disagree with your last point.

I don't even think it's down to League position, it's just down to not being effectively relegated in March. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I struggle to see how you can call Rodgers a bad appointment. Sure its gone badly this season but he took them to a European semi final last season.

To be fair I didn't realise he had been there as long as he had! It felt like he'd been there about 18 months, not 4 seasons! 

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not true, have a look at that squad of players Rodgers had at his disposal. Yes a top 6 finish wasn’t on the cards this season but they should comfortably be in the top half now. 

Have a look at the list of players they have sold in the last 5 years. 

They lost the best goalkeeper in the Premier League for nothing and the manager hasn't been given the money to replace Vardy. 

https://foxesofleicester.com/2022/09/13/leicester-city-true-ffp-situation/

Edited by dylanisabaddog

5 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

To be fair I didn't realise he had been there as long as he had! It felt like he'd been there about 18 months, not 4 seasons! 

Fair enough- 4 years is a surprisingly long spell for anyone these days!