JuanVelasco

Wonder if Pukki regrets not extending his contract

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

A legend indeed, but he has been hiding for the last two seasons. I lost count of the number of one on one's he missed last year and at the the start of this - and in the last 20 or so games we haven't even been creating them.

Something has to change. Pukki playing means we are one dimensional - everyone has worked us out.

I generally agree with that - he’s definitely been great overall and particularly as he was on a ‘free’.  It seems it was not allowed to criticise him but I do think he’s not been anywhere near as good this season. It isn’t all down to the rest of the team as some will state.

Just now, shefcanary said:

Why now for this announcement? I am surprised yet again ...

Why?

When do you think it should have been announced?

1 minute ago, JuanVelasco said:

Why?

When do you think it should have been announced?

When we were definitely out of the play-offs? Unless of course Wagner has already decided not to play him again this season, and the announcement is to head off any unwanted criticism?

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:Not a great advert for the management and executive either. It'll be interesting to see where he goes.

I don’t see why?  It is what it is - would you prefer it kept secret?  Letting supporters know makes reasonable sense, it was his choice and he’s chosen to leave which is fair enough.  He’ll be hard to replace, though not so hard based on this season.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t see why?  It is what it is - would you prefer it kept secret?  Letting supporters know makes reasonable sense, it was his choice and he’s chosen to leave which is fair enough.  He’ll be hard to replace, though not so hard based on this season.

What? Did you mean to quote me?

Just now, shefcanary said:

When we were definitely out of the play-offs? 

That could go down to the last game though, and I can remember the backlash when the club didn't announce Huckerby's departure until a week before the end of the season.

Just now, JuanVelasco said:

That could go down to the last game though, and I can remember the backlash when the club didn't announce Huckerby's departure until a week before the end of the season.

It’s one where they are damned whatever they do.  Maybe it’s going to come out that he’s signed a preseason agreement somewhere…had that come out first I imagine the grief there’d be.

• Like 1

There was nothing to play for that season. This is almost akin to the club saying we've given up on the play-offs and we're now just going to say good-bye to a few heroes.

If I remember rightly the backlash was mainly because we didn’t renew his contract not just because of the timing. We know Pukki has had the option of a new one.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s one where they are damned whatever they do.  Maybe it’s going to come out that he’s signed a preseason agreement somewhere…had that come out first I imagine the grief there’d be.

I suspect that's the case.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Entirely possible.

But realistically, if Pukki believed in the current project and that we were likely to be going up, he'd have agreed to stick around. He wants out, and it' understandable.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It gives him time to fond another club. 

This will have been going on already. His agent will have been active, it doesn't need any extra publicity.

Of course thinking about it, it could be that a red top has gotten a hold of the story already and was going public very soon, so might as well go public to avoid more disharmony.

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Why now for this announcement? I am surprised yet again ...

Because they’ve sold all the season tickets…

• Haha 2

As the German proverb goes, "wie gewonnen, so zerronnen". Possibly the closest in English would be "easy come, easy go". Picked up on a free, he's fired us to two Championship titles and held his own for us in the PL even if most of the rest weren't able to make the leap. No histrionics, model pro on the pitch, and he's said quite early that he's going. We got him for nothing, we lose him on a free.

He's earned the right to call his time. He'll go as a club legend. As long as he doesn't stick one in against us, I'll wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Glad that we've got this info, we can celebrate and give him a proper fairwell now.  I hate it when players just slip out the door.

I think this will be a weight lifted of his shoulders and benefit us in the final games personally.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think this will be a weight lifted of his shoulders and benefit us in the final games personally.

I was considering this possibility.

Still time for a final couple of Pukki braces! 

38 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Entirely possible.

But realistically, if Pukki believed in the current project and that we were likely to be going up, he'd have agreed to stick around. He wants out, and it' understandable.

I don't think that's true. From what has been said since the summer, Pukki has been keen to try somewhere new on a longer contract as security for his family - one last payday if you will. We were never willing to offer Pukki a multi-year contract which has always been part of the problem.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think that's true. From what has been said since the summer, Pukki has been keen to try somewhere new on a longer contract as security for his family - one last payday if you will. We were never willing to offer Pukki a multi-year contract which has always been part of the problem.

"I’m happy at Norwich but I want to play in the Premier League again" - Teemu Pukki, September 2022, when talking about the interest he had from clubs in the top tier in the summer.

Its was noted as a rather damning 'but' at the time, and it did imply that Pukki had no faith that we had the manager or playing squad to get back there. 

2 minutes ago, JuanVelasco said:

"I’m happy at Norwich but I want to play in the Premier League again" - Teemu Pukki, September 2022, when talking about the interest he had from clubs in the top tier in the summer.

Its was noted as a rather damning 'but' at the time, and it did imply that Pukki had no faith that we had the manager or playing squad to get back there. 

Yes, but that's because he didn't want to do this season in the Championship. Of course, we gave him little choice in that.

Just now, hogesar said:

Yes, but that's because he didn't want to do this season in the Championship. Of course, we gave him little choice in that.

If he didn't want to do this season in the Championship, what makes you think he wants to do next season in the Championship.

Just now, JuanVelasco said:

If he didn't want to do this season in the Championship, what makes you think he wants to do next season in the Championship.

I don't. I never said he did. I'm just saying his reason for moving isn't because of the current management (which has changed since he made that comment) or the board. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't. I never said he did. I'm just saying his reason for moving isn't because of the current management (which has changed since he made that comment) or the board. 

Whether Pukki rates the current manager is one factor.

Whether Wagner actually wants Pukki might be another, Pukki has only scored in 1 game for Wagner.

56 minutes ago, JuanVelasco said:

Whether Pukki rates the current manager is one factor.

Whether Wagner actually wants Pukki might be another, Pukki has only scored in 1 game for Wagner.

How many decent chances have been crafted for him in those games?     How fed up must he be playing with this attacking ineptitude?    Forwards on the wings, what do you expect from him?   

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I heard from a semi reliable source we offered him a deal that'd keep him here til 2025 on money not too far off what he's on.

He isn't interested.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I heard from a semi reliable source we offered him a deal that'd keep him here til 2025 on money not too far off what he's on.

I'm sure the athletic or someone said that we offered him several years at 50k/week?

Could be that he's fed up with the hard water in this area and descaling his kettle so often.  Coffee machine light flashed last night and he got on the blower to Webber - "I can't take it anymore Stu, i've gotta go!".

Edited by Google Bot