Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Are you ready for the Coronation?

My Son isn't. At the moment he is travelling around the country visiting different regiments to mak sure that they are all prepared for the part they will play in the Coronation. The Coldstream Guards normally provide the parade details and where certain regiments fit into it. He is not pleased. He will have done his 22 in June and be leaving so he was hoping for a cushy wind down. This is the exact opposite.

We’re leaving the country. Thanks for the day off Charles, but I’m not wasting any time on you.

(Having said that, I didn’t intend to watch any of the Queen’s funeral, but I wandered into a room while it was on and didn’t leave for an hour, so I imagine it will be a spectacle)

Yup, and it's pretty tiresome how the 1 in 4 who want a republic go out of their way to mouth off about how much they dislike the monarchy at every occasion. There's broad consensus for the monarchy, so while it's right to respect their right to object, I have nothing but contempt for their determination to do so at every special royal occasion in a bid to ruin it for the rest.

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We’re leaving the country. Thanks for the day off Charles, but I’m not wasting any time on you.

(Having said that, I didn’t intend to watch any of the Queen’s funeral, but I wandered into a room while it was on and didn’t leave for an hour, so I imagine it will be a spectacle)

I think 'spectacle' is what it is for many people.

Beyond that largely hollow and devoid of meaning.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yup, and it's pretty tiresome how the 1 in 4 who want a republic go out of their way to mouth off about how much they dislike the monarchy at every occasion. There's broad consensus for the monarchy, so while it's right to respect their right to object, I have nothing but contempt for their determination to do so at every special royal occasion in a bid to ruin it for the rest.

Why would you do anything else if you are a Republican? The OP was asking the question. Is it a shock to see replies?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You left their realm and ****ed off to France. They probably prefer the Republicans who stayed within their dominion than the deserters who couldn't stick it within this sceptred isle. 

That said, if you relocated to Brittany, I can't deny I'd feel a little envy. Beautiful, beautiful corner of the world.

I won't watch a single minute but will enjoy the additional day off with my family.

Come off it, how much republican argument did you hear when the queen died? Everything I read was respectful and as far as I know no-one’s said don’t celebrate the coronation, just that they won’t be taking part in it. At this rate, you’ll be telling us in a couple of weeks that white middle class men are the most disadvantaged group in the country.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

At this rate, you’ll be telling us in a couple of weeks that white middle class men are the most disadvantaged group in the country.

Did you not know that sometimes they have to see headlines about women's football, WOMEN'S FOOTBALL, as the main story on the BBC Sport website, even though Forest Green Rovers beat Dagenham & Redbridge on the very same day? You should have more sympathy for the plight of the white man.

Edited by canarydan23

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Come off it, how much republican argument did you hear when the queen died? Everything I read was respectful and as far as I know no-one’s said don’t celebrate the coronation, just that they won’t be taking part in it. At this rate, you’ll be telling us in a couple of weeks that white middle class men are the most disadvantaged group in the country.

There were plenty of protests on the Queen's actual funeral procession, with plenty of bitching about so-called oppression when they were moved on. Also plenty of threads on here at the time with plenty of scathing commentary.

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

There were plenty of protests on the Queen's actual funeral procession, with plenty of bitching about so-called oppression when they were moved on. Also plenty of threads on here at the time with plenty of scathing commentary.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

You left their realm and ****ed off to France. They probably prefer the Republicans who stayed within their dominion than the deserters who couldn't stick it within this sceptred isle. 

That said, if you relocated to Brittany, I can't deny I'd feel a little envy. Beautiful, beautiful corner of the world.

I won't watch a single minute but will enjoy the additional day off with my family.

Look on the bright side. The way things are going, it'll be just you folks having a whale of a time cooped up on a little island with the world's refugee population while anyone with any sense has left at this rate. 🤪😘

There are far more refugees in France. Just saying.

Anyway, I won't be celebrating or watching but will hopefully take advantage of the day off.

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Look on the bright side. The way things are going, it'll be just you folks having a whale of a time cooped up on a little island with the world's refugee population while anyone with any sense has left at this rate. 🤪😘

The world's refugee problem?! Deary me, stop believing everything you read. For **** sake, you are in a country that takes in 3 times as many refugees as the UK and has a much higher % of refugees per population!

But no, the Daily Mail told you everyone is coming to UK and it's ruining Ol Blighty.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

have nothing but contempt for their determination to do so at every special royal occasion in a bid to ruin it for the rest.

Best just ignore people and follow your own beliefs. Trust your inner instincts and don't listen to folk. There are always people who will think differently and some who love to shock. That's the way of the world. And if people are republicans then "so what". 

As for your comment "cooped up on a little island with the world's refugees" is that really your opinion of this country? Seems rather bitter really especially "having a whale of a time". Might be worth a few moments reflecting on those words. Folk just try and get by and enjoy what they can - the majority of people. And all the while despite the stuff going on in the world. People are very resilient I've found. And the world isn't all a bad place at all.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

The world's refugee problem?! Deary me, stop believing everything you read. For **** sake, you are in a country that takes in 3 times as many refugees as the UK and has a much higher % of refugees per population!

But no, the Daily Mail told you everyone is coming to UK and it's ruining Ol Blighty.

It always interesting how we perceive countries from afar as opposed to the on-the-ground reality.

If you watch our UK news, France for instance looks a real disaster. Rubbish, riots, a state in collapse. Can't think why anybody would think that's better than blighty. Sounds a bit out of touch.

For fun years ago I always recall living in the US and the anecdotal US colleague wanting 'danger money' for visiting the UK (we had the IRA bombings at the time). Then again the US today has these horrendous almost daily mass shootings. This however is not the daily experience of the average citizen (else I guess gun control would be instant).

21 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I dont even know what day it is, is it the Saturday or Sunday?

Me neither, or indeed the date, but I'm certain I've heard that we get an extra Bank Holiday so that at least will be welcome.

Actually as royals go I've always thought that Charles was one of the better ones but the idea we should celebrate another unelected, unaccountable hereditary monarch becoming our Head of State seems frankly bizzare to me.

We are a very backward looking country which is actually going backwards and this is another, albeit small, step in the wrong direction.

But thanks for the extra day off, perhaps our lords and masters will be gracious enough to make it a permanent feature of our calendar - a nice little reminder of how lucky we are to live in this ancient/totally clapped out (delete as appropriate) kingdom.

On 28/03/2023 at 23:20, littleyellowbirdie said:

Oh Dear LYB. That is one of your worst. You are relying on whataboutery a lot at the moment. This started off as a post about the Coronation. People chose to reply in their own way. Some people see the Monarchy as deplorable. A dysfuntional Family on Mahogany Row. Others love the Royals.

But you are in a country that chopped the heads off their Royal Family.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Oh Dear LYB. That is one of your worst. You are relying on whataboutery a lot at the moment. This started off as a post about the Coronation. People chose to reply in their own way. Some people see the Monarchy as deplorable. A dysfuntional Family on Mahogany Row. Others love the Royals.

But you are in a country that chopped the heads off their Royal Family.

And you seem to have given up on being a half arsed excuse for a referee. Always funny how you always seem most outraged when I indulge in a bit of ridicule myself, in keeping with the favoured MO on here, often at my expense, which I deal with for myself.

There's nothing wrong with 'what about' when there's a reasonable comparison to be made. 'What about' featured a lot in arguing about Lineker's supposed persecution over the tax dispute just resolved, with nobody complaining about 'whataboutism'.

What the French did with their Royal Family is their business, although there's a lot of interest here in ours; hardly a brilliant piece of whataboutism on your part, now I come to think of it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

And you seem to have given up on being a half arsed excuse for a referee. Always funny how you always seem most outraged when I indulge in a bit of ridicule myself, in keeping with the favoured MO on here, often at my expense, which I deal with for myself.

There's nothing wrong with 'what about' when there's a reasonable comparison to be made. 'What about' featured a lot in arguing about Lineker's supposed persecution over the tax dispute just resolved, with nobody complaining about 'whataboutism'.

What the French did with their Royal Family is their business, although there's a lot of interest here in ours; hardly a brilliant piece of whataboutism on your part, now I come to think of it.

Because you didn't indulge in it at one time. You normally post so that that people have to check their research or history. I was still refereeing but that was a schoolboy error strewn post. 

I'm not bothered but thanks for the extra day off I suppose. 

For those that are arguing about a head of state being elected/unelected. If we did become a Republic would we really get to chose a leader? Or would we get the same pointless choice between one numpty or the other numpty. 

13 hours ago, NFN FC said:

For those that are arguing about a head of state being elected/unelected. If we did become a Republic would we really get to chose a leader? Or would we get the same pointless choice between one numpty or the other numpty. 

But at least you could in reality be that numpty (no offence) who was elected

14 hours ago, NFN FC said:

A HoS doesn't need to be 'political' - c.f. Germany or Ireland. More a defender (active) of the constitution.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

But at least you could in reality be that numpty (no offence) who was elected

Not really. I would never join either political party. I didn't go to the right school. Also, I'm not a complete ahole, and therefore, I would not be good at politics. 

29 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Not really. I would never join either political party. I didn't go to the right school. Also, I'm not a complete ahole, and therefore, I would not be good at politics. 

You wouldn't have to be in any Party. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

A HoS doesn't need to be 'political' - c.f. Germany or Ireland. More a defender (active) of the constitution.

Exactly so, and something this couintry desperately needs.

Of course, actually having a proper constitution would help as well but we can't have everything 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Exactly so, and something this couintry desperately needs.

Of course, actually having a proper constitution would help as well but we can't have everything 🙄

Yet Royalists often quote the Constitution. What is that? Magna Carta?

Edited by keelansgrandad