lake district canary

Stop writing players off

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

@Hardhouse44 you moan more than my aunt Gladys on a wash day.

Does anything ever cheer you up?

🙂

Watching good footballers play good football cheers me up. I’d like to see 2 decent half’s of football in a row for starters. You like most blinkered sheep on here are getting carried away with a couple of wins at home against dire opposition, where we completely lost our way in the second half in both games. Sorry but get a grip. 

let’s see how things go against a team who’s up for the fight on Saturday before we all declare the new messiah here and every players a World Cup winner in waiting. 

51 thousand post saying everything’s wonderful must even get someone as up best as you down sometimes!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Watching good footballers play good football cheers me up. I’d like to see 2 decent half’s of football in a row for starters. You like most blinkered sheep on here are getting carried away with a couple of wins at home against dire opposition, where we completely lost our way in the second half in both games. Sorry but get a grip. 

let’s see how things go against a team who’s up for the fight on Saturday before we all declare the new messiah here and every players a World Cup winner in waiting. 

51 thousand post saying everything’s wonderful must even get someone as up best as you down sometimes!

It's just that we never hear of anything that makes you happy. You only ever come here to moan and groan. There must have been the odd game over the last few years that cheered you up?

The silver lining for Idah is that you normally disappear for 12 months after you're totally wrong 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Idah is so poor. He will never be the goal scorer we need, I don't understand why some seem so desperate to try and defend and justify his selection in the team.

Norwich giving him a 5 year contract smacks of desperation he will come good, when he does nothing to show he has it in him. 

Fans have always criticised players who aren't good enough. It will never change, nor should it - the fans pay their money and are entitled to their view.

I would have understood a 3 year deal with a season long loan next season (SPL perhaps) but 5 years is insane, don't understand the thinking there at all.

Clearly a symptom of the club feeling stung by Cantwell running his contract down. But even the last manager admitted that Idah is joint compromised. There is no fix for that, once joint compromised he'll be out frequently throughout his career, so even if he improves significantly there is always going to be a relatively low ceiling for resale value. 

6 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

but starting game after game with no return. ** that for a game of soldiers.

What part of him being our only fit striker don't you understand 

7 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Sargent was signed at the start of a premiership season where we desperately needed players capable of playing at that level. Never was he even close to good enough. I very, very much doubt at that level he ever will be. The fact he’s turned in some decent performances a division lower is no indication he will ever cut it at premiership level. 

We’ve waited and waited for Idah to show us what he’s all about.  He I’m afraid is playing like Sargent last season a league above his true ability.

Let’s see how it goes, I agree he has not set the league on fire yet but he has shown potential, and when you say waited and waited, he has only start around 15 games.  He should have been sent on loan to get experience but successive coaches have wanted him here as an option.

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well said Lakey. I suspect it might help Adam if the drummer came up with something to go with his name. 

For what my opinion is worth, I think he's very close to being very good indeed, but he just lacks confidence. If he thought everyone was behind him it may just help. 

My doubts about Idah also concern his mental attitude rather than his technical ability. Yes, his first touch can be a bit erratic, but he can manage some really deft stuff at times for such a big guy - I'd trust his touch rather than Sargent's, for example, (except in front of goal, sadly).  There always seems something a bit tentative about Idah when he plays, as if he doesn't quite believe in himself, but maybe that's just an impression he gives.

Where I don't think he can ever take Pukki's role in the future involves his lack of footballing intelligence. Again and again he ends up offside, as if he's never heard of the rule. I don't think he'll ever be able to make Pukki-type runs or time them well. Even on Saturday, he was only onside because of a player far to his right who he probably wouldn't have seen. IMO, neither he nor Sargent have the sharpness of thought to lead the line in the way Pukki does.

I know I'm being a bit hypocritical here because in a different post I've argued that we shouldn't criticise any of our players at the moment while their confidence seems so shaky. But I'm not saying Idah is poor or lacks the ability to do well; just that I don't think he can ever be our main striker. As many others have said, he's Heskey.

18 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I wish I was as talented as Idah, you must have been one hell of a player yourself - how many international caps did you get?

I won’t get on his back  at the game but at some point he needs to deliver goals, as for the internationals I think it’s something like 13 games and no goals

19 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Where does Rashica fit into this?  It's just that I really don't like his apparent attitude.

I'll support everyone else, but he winds me up.  Could've been great at this level and made significant different for things under Smith.

I'm also of the opinion that Rashica's problem is his attitude. First, he thinks he's better than he actually is. Second, he strikes me as a careerist/mercenary who doesn't feel any kind of loyalty towards the club he is currently playing for (I know it's unrealistic to ask for long-term commitment in a cut-throat business, but players at least need to build up some kind of bond with their current team, even if they later move on). Third, related to this, he's not a team player, so he was completely wrong for Farkeball. I could see him working very well as an old-fashioned type winger who gets to the byline and then wings in a cross, but when he moves in-field to link up with other players he just doesn't seem to have any awareness of what is happening ahead of him. I'm glad he's gone and I hope he doesn't come back even if that means taking a hit on the selling price.

28 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

My doubts about Idah also concern his mental attitude rather than his technical ability. Yes, his first touch can be a bit erratic, but he can manage some really deft stuff at times for such a big guy - I'd trust his touch rather than Sargent's, for example, (except in front of goal, sadly).  There always seems something a bit tentative about Idah when he plays, as if he doesn't quite believe in himself, but maybe that's just an impression he gives.

Where I don't think he can ever take Pukki's role in the future involves his lack of footballing intelligence. Again and again he ends up offside, as if he's never heard of the rule. I don't think he'll ever be able to make Pukki-type runs or time them well. Even on Saturday, he was only onside because of a player far to his right who he probably wouldn't have seen. IMO, neither he nor Sargent have the sharpness of thought to lead the line in the way Pukki does.

I know I'm being a bit hypocritical here because in a different post I've argued that we shouldn't criticise any of our players at the moment while their confidence seems so shaky. But I'm not saying Idah is poor or lacks the ability to do well; just that I don't think he can ever be our main striker. As many others have said, he's Heskey.

I wouldn't say because our strikers aren't Pukki they can't replace him. Very few teams like us have a Pukki. Even at Prem level there's teams who don't have a Pukki.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I wouldn't say because our strikers aren't Pukki they can't replace him. Very few teams like us have a Pukki. Even at Prem level there's teams who don't have a Pukki.

Point taken. They can't replace him in the sense that they're not capable of doing what he does. So if one of them does end up leading the line, we would need a different pattern to our play, and probably a much more direct style.

EDIT: Maybe I should say that they can replace, but not replicate.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

Supporters were taking the **** out of Sargent last season, especially after that miss against Brighton, which was far worse than Idah's.

Some always think they know best.

Now Smith has gone, some are desperately looking for something or someone to moan about.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I would have understood a 3 year deal with a season long loan next season (SPL perhaps) but 5 years is insane, don't understand the thinking there at all.

Clearly a symptom of the club feeling stung by Cantwell running his contract down.

It may be that, and also having seeing how Morris has developed, taking 3 points and a playoff position place from us currently.

More likely to be financial though, we've probably got him secured on a good deal and it could be that our new approach to young players is to load them up with long contracts.  It's very rare that you have to buy out a players contract after all.

I predict that if he gets a run of games Idah will score ten goals this season. He is highly rated by everyone at the club and that is a pointer to why he has been given a long contract. Yes it's still potential rather than actual, but he is on the right path to success. I hope people will support him through his development through the ups and downs. We've seen he can score, let's enjoy his progress. 

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I predict that if he gets a run of games Idah will score ten goals this season. He is highly rated by everyone at the club and that is a pointer to why he has been given a long contract. Yes it's still potential rather than actual, but he is on the right path to success. I hope people will support him through his development through the ups and downs. We've seen he can score, let's enjoy his progress. 

With twelve games to go in the league?

Or even a maximum of fifteen if we reach play-offs and Wembley?

I doubt that. He's Idah, not Haarland LDC.

I'd settle for half a dozen though.

Doesn't matter to me whether he's scoring goals so long as someone in the team is scoring goals, which they are, but I hope he hits the back of the net soon for his own benefit when it's a source of so much detraction when he's otherwise doing a great job for the team up front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

It may be that, and also having seeing how Morris has developed, taking 3 points and a playoff position place from us currently.

More likely to be financial though, we've probably got him secured on a good deal and it could be that our new approach to young players is to load them up with long contracts.  It's very rare that you have to buy out a players contract after all.

We have talked before about using the loan system as a revenue stream so perhaps the idea is that he ends up going out on various loans over the next few seasons and if it looks like he has developed he's got 2 years at the end to try and make it here.

However that is pretty much exactly what we did with Morris, for 6 years in fact, 6 years of loans to 7 different clubs, showed flashes of quality and the odd run of goalscoring form but ultimately by the time he left us he had 30 goals in 180 games despite time in League One, League Two and the SPL.

We always knew he had some serious qualities though and he's got more about him than just sticking the ball in the net, he's good at dropping deep, holding up the ball, bringing others into play, etc. His success isn't really a great shock. Those qualities a lot less apparent in Idah.

Anyway, lets just pray Pukki decides he enjoys playing for Wagner and wants to stay. I doubt it personally, can see him wanting to play a bit of Europa League somewhere, with a Turkish club or something.

40 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We have talked before about using the loan system as a revenue stream so perhaps the idea is that he ends up going out on various loans over the next few seasons and if it looks like he has developed he's got 2 years at the end to try and make it here.

However that is pretty much exactly what we did with Morris, for 6 years in fact, 6 years of loans to 7 different clubs, showed flashes of quality and the odd run of goalscoring form but ultimately by the time he left us he had 30 goals in 180 games despite time in League One, League Two and the SPL.

We always knew he had some serious qualities though and he's got more about him than just sticking the ball in the net, he's good at dropping deep, holding up the ball, bringing others into play, etc. His success isn't really a great shock. Those qualities a lot less apparent in Idah.

Anyway, lets just pray Pukki decides he enjoys playing for Wagner and wants to stay. I doubt it personally, can see him wanting to play a bit of Europa League somewhere, with a Turkish club or something.

This basically sums up Idah's last few performances, everything but a goal.