Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Is Idah the new McLean?

Farke said he was the best natural finisher at the club and I for one am definitely willing to be patient to see if that's true. He seemed to always be scoring at youth level. 

People seem to forget he's still young, never had a solid run in the team, and was out injured for the best part of a year. Comments like "he's league one at best" that I've seen a few times are definitely premature. 

People love an extreme. Idah scores a hattrick against Preston in a meaningless cup game and he's the next Ronaldo (he isn't), he plays poorly against a team and he's useless (he isn't).Reality is that he's decent but not exceptional.

People like to talk / proclaim "the best" or "the worst" player but people don't like the boring "decent" and generally gravitate to the extremes.

The same can be said for Tomkinson in his few performances, I thought he was OK, but many people were stating how well he did and how he has a big future. A couple of poor performances and many will say how awful he is... that's football (and people).

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Apart from injury, yes. He has been part of the 1st team squad. Its up to him to impress. Instead we went out and bought Hugill and Sarge.

Playing matches is so much more valuable than just being around the squad though. My main criticism of the Hugill signing is that all it would serve to do is take away potential minutes from Idah, not that there would have been many in the first place due to Pukki. Sargent at least made more sense as he's also young. Despite what they say, pretty much every coach would rather play an experienced head over a young one, it's up to the club to force their hand on playing youngsters by giving them next to no choice. Yes he's had spells out injured but when he hasn't been he's had very little chance to impress, if they don't think he was good enough they should have loaned him out. 

I don't see Idah as a goalscorer - he doesn't take up the positions necessary to be one - but he is a decent forward, in the way he runs at and moves around defenders. Hopefully he can create enough havoc for others to set up Sargent, who is a goalscorer at this level.

There were two or three fabulous crosses from Dimi last night with none of our "strikers" gambling to get on the end of them.

As for those who bemoan the impending loss of Pukki - we have been one dimensional for too long. This approach failed dismally twice in the EPL. Pukki scoring one in three chances (when no one else gets anywhere near scoring) is never going to work against top defenders. It worked twice before in the Champs because the defenders he was up against aren't as good, but he's lost his edge now and his conversion rate is too poor for him to be the only reliable goalscorer now.

So we need to develop another way of playing - hence Idah and Sargent. I'm sure Pukki will still feature this season, but as an impact sub in the last 20 minutes or so.

59 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

People love an extreme. Idah scores a hattrick against Preston in a meaningless cup game and he's the next Ronaldo (he isn't), he plays poorly against a team and he's useless (he isn't).Reality is that he's decent but not exceptional.

People like to talk / proclaim "the best" or "the worst" player but people don't like the boring "decent" and generally gravitate to the extremes.

The same can be said for Tomkinson in his few performances, I thought he was OK, but many people were stating how well he did and how he has a big future. A couple of poor performances and many will say how awful he is... that's football (and people).

Some people 

If you don't rate McLean at championship level (prem a different question) then I really struggle to see how you can have a vaguely sensible football debate with that person. Unless they haven't actually watched us or the championship.

• Like 1

Up to now I have thought him, not up to it However where he impressed is withthe ball, not as the old centre forward waiting forthe cross, but actually someone with a bit of pace, espeicially when out wide. Swap him and Sgt round as last might and it will be the making of both. Now if Hanley could score half as many free kicks he wins. Tell Max that cutting in from the right does not necessarily mean taking the ball to within 10 yards of the other wing. And Gibbs looks to be PL quality the more I see of him. Otherwise sensibly refereeing last night,  and heres to a couple of goals on Saturday - a sort of Wigan Pair.

Idah should have had a goal himself plus a couple of assists had it not been for poor finishing from Dowell and Sargent.

Adam has every reason to be pleased with his performance. Great call from Wagner.

15 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

He can't do it when pressed though. Ok against a fairly poor Hull team who gave him time on ball,but when harried and not allowed time,he tends to panic and his passing suffers.

I think people need to remember he isn't a world class player and shouldn't be judged in comparison to one. He is a competent championship player and ample for the role which he is playing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Good points. The fans want a heroic tackle or a moment of magic whereas the coach looks at game plan and structure. 

Kenny is a prime example and plays every game.

I am a fan but can appreciate the roles that Kenny and Adam bring to the team. 

Also Teemo can't be expected to play 3 times in a week at his age...

Edited by The Bristol Nest

Tell you what I liked. Someone getting a head on crosses from open play. Idah's strong, willing, and good in the air. He and Sargent justify playing Hernandez for me, who just has to be told "just keep it simple and either bang in crosses or cut back".

Any Norwich striker over the last few years that's not Pukki has suffered by dint of the fact they've not been Pukki so even when they have played, it's not necessarily been up top. In Idah's case, a litany of injuries - possibly caused by rapid physical development but don't mind admitting that is a guess - haven't helped either.

On 16/02/2023 at 13:02, TheGunnShow said:

Any Norwich striker over the last few years that's not Pukki has suffered by dint of the fact they've not been Pukki so even when they have played, it's not necessarily been up top

And, as you imply, when they have played up top in Pukki's place, they've been playing in a system set up for Teemu's strengths, not theirs (or in no system at all...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

And, as you imply, when they have played up top in Pukki's place, they've been playing in a system set up for Teemu's strengths, not theirs (or in no system at all...)

Exactly. I'll go further and say there's an argument that it drifted away from the strengths of the likes of Hernandez under Farke's later formations and definitely under Smith, and suddenly having two powerful athletes up top who can win headers and keep the ball up means there's room for a pacey winger or two keeping it simple and banging crosses in.

Power up top brings Hernandez into play as he's not too likely to hit cutting balls into channels, but he can whip in a cross or a cut-back, he just doesn't pick the right option that often but did to great effect against Hull.

Can see that bringing the best out of both Rowe and Placheta but for vastly different reasons, Rowe as he's explosive and can beat a man, and Placheta as a more defensive winger because he's got excellent workrate and can keep a press.

• Like 1