Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

We are making history

33 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Should put a star on our badge.

I think we will have to wait until we get a better font on the names on our stands.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we will have to wait until we get a better font on the names on our stands.

And Vincent Kompany blowing smoke up our ar*e about how brilliant our ground is. 😉 

• Haha 3

The interesting thing is that it wasn't originally a Norwich City song. Five points for the first person to name the club it was written for. That club is still playing today. 

24 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The interesting thing is that it wasn't originally a Norwich City song. Five points for the first person to name the club it was written for. That club is still playing today. 

Caley's FC in the 1890's 

The answer is that On The Ball City was originally a CEYMS song (Church of England Young Men's Society). 

The original lyric was On The Ball Churchmen 

From Wikipedia: I know you cannot vouch for everything on there, but this is more in my understanding from the numerous histories of the club.

"The song is in fact older than the club itself having probably been penned for Norwich Teachers or Caley's FC in the 1890s, and used by clubs such as Swifians and Norwich CEYMS before being adopted by Norwich City.[2] The writer of the song is often attributed to Albert T Smith who became a director of Norwich City in 1905 after the club was founded in 1902,[3] and the song was adopted by fans of the club.[4] It is sung pre-match at Carrow Road and throughout the games that Norwich City play, home and away. Although the first use of the tune and song is disputed, it may have been adopted by 1902 and it remains in use today in part if not the whole.[2]"

On 31/01/2023 at 14:45, Thirsty Lizard said:

And Vincent Kompany blowing smoke up our ar*e about how brilliant our ground is. 😉 

He's not wrong though.

Beautiful brick built stands. A paradise compared to Turf Moor.

They actually have an eerily similar problem to us though, three adequately sized ends then a tiny tinpot stand with a road running right behind it where the dugouts are.

Remind you of anything?

395082857_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.10203538f2fbc958164af7dcac97a247.jpg

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

From Wikipedia: I know you cannot vouch for everything on there, but this is more in my understanding from the numerous histories of the club.

"The song is in fact older than the club itself having probably been penned for Norwich Teachers or Caley's FC in the 1890s, and used by clubs such as Swifians and Norwich CEYMS before being adopted by Norwich City.[2] The writer of the song is often attributed to Albert T Smith who became a director of Norwich City in 1905 after the club was founded in 1902,[3] and the song was adopted by fans of the club.[4] It is sung pre-match at Carrow Road and throughout the games that Norwich City play, home and away. Although the first use of the tune and song is disputed, it may have been adopted by 1902 and it remains in use today in part if not the whole.[2]"

Well blow me! It says CEYMS in my club history book. Although I obviously can't put my hand on it at the moment. 

Thank you!