6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm sure Dean Smith has moved on, and I'm fine with him having moved on. What I don't like is the sheer nastiness in the comments about the guy. Same goes with Webber to an extent. There's a really ugly entitlement to be abusive to the people who are obviously trying to do their best for the club. And what I find really amazing is the way everybody circles the wagons defending their right to behave like that, while in the same breath being aggrieved that they find me abusive. It's laughable really.

You're the only one really still banging on about him though,  I'm not sure I've seen you post about anything barring Dean Smith. Of course I'm only joking about you being him, but the anger you're showing here almost makes you think it's personal.

Time to let Smith go, and see what happens now with Wagner.

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

You're the only one really still banging on about him though,  I'm not sure I've seen you post about anything barring Dean Smith. Of course I'm only joking about you being him, but the anger you're showing here almost makes you think it's personal.

Time to let Smith go, and see what happens now with Wagner.

100% reactive. People stop trashing him, I'll stop defending him. Simple as.

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

100% reactive. People stop trashing him, I'll stop defending him. Simple as.

But why are you so bothered? People are only now commenting as they know you'll bite. Just let it go and Dean Smith will soon be a distant memory to people on here. 

It's similar to TDK who simply comes on here to bait people about Gilmour, no one mentioned Gilmour for ages until he/she reappeared and started banging on about him again, as well as his bizarre claim England are 1 injury away from Sean Longstaff getting a call up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It’s easy to disprove if you want to debate it? Give examples of British managers currently working or looking for jobs with better CVs, citing their achievements exceeding Smiths going beyond Championship promotion, and Premier League survival for at least one season. If you can name 10 with the accomplishments, I'll concede I'm wrong.

Now you might say a couple have not done it at premiership level but I think their achievements are equally as impressive. I’ve left off some of the out of work ones I could have gone for such a Hodgeson or big Sam whose achievements are far and above Smith’s. So I’ll start with the obvious, 

Gareth Southgate. - Englands most successful manager since Sir Alf. Also took Middlesbrough to  a European cup final prior to the England job 

Graham Potter - built a club in Sweden from the 3rd tier to national champions. Took over at Brighton after Hughton left them in a mess and revolutionised their playing side and built a side that now contains a key World Cup winner he signed for the club, left to manage Chelsea which any one in his position would do 

Eddie Howe - Built Bournemouth from the bottom of the football league to established premier league side. Won multiple leagues stayed up after. In the middle of building Newcastle to a world class side. 

Brendan Rogers - won multiple SPL’s with Celtic. Almost won the Prem with Liverpool. Doing a great job a Leicester on a minimal budget now. 

Steve Cooper - won the under 19 World Cup with England. Got Swansea to the championship play of final followed by getting Forest to the play off final and winning it. 

Nathan Jones - took Luton from non league to the Championship over two spells before taking the job at Southampton to try and save them in the premier league. 

David Moyes - Took Everton to the Champions league. Managed Man Utd, built a very strong West Ham side and took them to European semi final losing to the eventual winners. 

Scott Parker - Promoted from the Championship with two different clubs in two successive season at that level. 

Sean Dyche - took Burnley to the Prem established them there and kept them up so many many seasons. 

Paul Warne - took Rotherham from relative obscurity to the Championship left to rebuild Derby county after the mess they got themselves into they are now challenging at the top end of league one with a squad made from youth players and free transfers. 

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

But why are you so bothered? People are only now commenting as they know you'll bite. Just let it go and Dean Smith will soon be a distant memory to people on here. 

It's similar to TDK who simply comes on here to bait people about Gilmour, no one mentioned Gilmour for ages until he/she reappeared and started banging on about him again, as well as his bizarre claim England are 1 injury away from Sean Longstaff getting a call up.

Absolutely, and actually that is exactly why I'm carrying on. I don't care that they're trying to be clever, the fact is that they're needlessly nasty, mean-spirited and unpleasant about the guy after he's gone. At the end of the day, I just don't like people like that. You could say it's more personal objection to their attitudes than anything about Smith specifically.

I think these attitudes pervade the club much more widely. Case in point about Webber and his mountain climbing for charity being treated like a cardinal sin that 'proves' he's just here for the money. The really nasty and derogatory comments about Smith and Jones who stepped in when nobody else would when the club was at a low that always come out when we're on a downward cycle. It's needless, vile abuse, but it's just widely accepted. That's not to say they should be above reasonable critique, but some of the stuff is truly vile.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

But why are you so bothered? People are only now commenting as they know you'll bite. Just let it go

Because he knows it’ll get a response, he needs to feed his attention seeking recognition, the only way is to be aggressive and confrontational! Simple fact is Managers & Coaches are judged on performance and results as Smith has the worst % since Gary Megson back in 1996, I just cannot understand why anyone would really be so bothered about a manager who always referred to his time here as a job, he never tied himself emotionally to this club or the fans and remained professional to the end…….his heart was never in this job as a lot of us will say. That’s our judgement and LYB might think differently but has no right to start swearing at posters, he’s a rude little man with an attitude problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Now you might say a couple have not done it at premiership level but I think their achievements are equally as impressive. I’ve left off some of the out of work ones I could have gone for such a Hodgeson or big Sam whose achievements are far and above Smith’s. So I’ll start with the obvious, 

Gareth Southgate. - Englands most successful manager since Sir Alf. Also took Middlesbrough to  a European cup final prior to the England job 

Graham Potter - built a club in Sweden from the 3rd tier to national champions. Took over at Brighton after Hughton left them in a mess and revolutionised their playing side and built a side that now contains a key World Cup winner he signed for the club, left to manage Chelsea which any one in his position would do 

Eddie Howe - Built Bournemouth from the bottom of the football league to established premier league side. Won multiple leagues stayed up after. In the middle of building Newcastle to a world class side. 

Brendan Rogers - won multiple SPL’s with Celtic. Almost won the Prem with Liverpool. Doing a great job a Leicester on a minimal budget now. 

Steve Cooper - won the under 19 World Cup with England. Got Swansea to the championship play of final followed by getting Forest to the play off final and winning it. 

Nathan Jones - took Luton from non league to the Championship over two spells before taking the job at Southampton to try and save them in the premier league. 

David Moyes - Took Everton to the Champions league. Managed Man Utd, built a very strong West Ham side and took them to European semi final losing to the eventual winners. 

Scott Parker - Promoted from the Championship with two different clubs in two successive season at that level. 

Sean Dyche - took Burnley to the Prem established them there and kept them up so many many seasons. 

Paul Warne - took Rotherham from relative obscurity to the Championship left to rebuild Derby county after the mess they got themselves into they are now challenging at the top end of league one with a squad made from youth players and free transfers. 

Well then, I guess we've established it's a subjective point, which begs the question why anyone was so desperate to criticise me for saying it in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Because he knows it’ll get a response, he needs to feed his attention seeking recognition, the only way is to be aggressive and confrontational! Simple fact is Managers & Coaches are judged on performance and results as Smith has the worst % since Gary Megson back in 1996, I just cannot understand why anyone would really be so bothered about a manager who always referred to his time here as a job, he never tied himself emotionally to this club or the fans and remained professional to the end…….his heart was never in this job as a lot of us will say. That’s our judgement and LYB might think differently but has no right to start swearing at posters, he’s a rude little man with an attitude problem.

Oh wow. Still pushing your bullsh1t argument, jumping in and answering with a sarcastic answer on their behalf isn't remotely confrontational, you self-righteous pr1ck.

Well then, I guess we've established it's a subjective point, which begs the question why anyone was so desperate to criticise me for saying it in the first place.

It’s subjective to a point. If Smith truly was one of the best British managers as you claim he’d be in line to be the next England manager after Southgate but truth be told you know he’s getting nowhere near that job. 

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s subjective to a point. If Smith truly was one of the best British managers as you claim he’d be in line to be the next England manager after Southgate but truth be told you know he’s getting nowhere near that job. 

There's a big difference between 'one of the best' and 'the best', but I'm sure you're fully aware that if I meant 'the best' then I'd have said that.

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He’s possibly in line for Pompey, but even they’re looking at others! You’d think he’d be a sure bet to get a mid table league 1 gig?

I would also like to welcome Andy Hughes feel comforted in the knowledge that our players will now develop some of the best pointing skills in the League.👈👉☝️

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

I would also like to welcome Andy Hughes feel comforted in the knowledge that our players will now develop some of the best pointing skills in the League.👈👉☝️

Well if the team can all point in the same direction we might see a vast improvement! 

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

He’s possibly in line for Pompey, but even they’re looking at others! You’d think he’d be a sure bet to get a mid table league 1 gig?

I suppose that would put him on a par with Paul Lambert.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

If he was “one of the best” you’d of thought he would of been headhunted aggressively 😂

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If he was “one of the best” you’d of thought he would of been headhunted aggressively 😂

Only if they have a LYB as DOF…

There's a big difference between 'one of the best' and 'the best', but I'm sure you're fully aware that if I meant 'the best' then I'd have said that.

Great way to completely ignore my point and just  be a facetious plebeian. If he was “one of the best” as you claim he’d be on the short list for the England job even if he didn’t get it. He won’t be anywhere near it and you know it you’re just too stubborn to admit it. 

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Great way to completely ignore my point and just  be a facetious plebeian. If he was “one of the best” as you claim he’d be on the short list for the England job even if he didn’t get it. He won’t be anywhere near it and you know it you’re just too stubborn to admit it. 

Your 'point' is simply trying to reframe my comment based on parameters dictated by you, which doesn't interest me.

7 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Question: What's Gareth Southgate's record in management in club football and what did that contribute to him getting the England job?

Not the best, not the worst. 100% he will connect with the fans better though and will give us better football. Happy to support him in his efforts.

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Question: What's Gareth Southgate's record in management in club football and what did that contribute to him getting the England job?

Got Middlesbrough to a European cup final…..

53 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Got Middlesbrough to a European cup final…..

... and got Middlesborough relegated.

by @Indy's reckoning, getting to finals don't count as achievements, which is why I didn't mention Smith's finals in cup competitions at different clubs on his list of achievements. Mind you, I'm sure he'll make an exception on this one.

10 hours ago, Indy said:

Well if the team can all point in the same direction we might see a vast improvement! 

Well that’s true, also Hughes had a terrific engine as I recall, an attribute that our players are going to need to replicate under the new manager

58 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Well that’s true, also Hughes had a terrific engine as I recall, an attribute that our players are going to need to replicate under the new manager

Indeed I always said during Hughes playing time, he was really very average in skill but you could never question his attitude or effort. You’re not wrong, watching that Wagner interview you can see he’s going to demand much more from the players and I can see that if they don’t do the job asked they’ll be sitting games out regardless of who they are. The high press game requires high energy and stamina which is something very lacking during the past 14 months.

As Wagner said Hughes knows what he wants and will demand our players do the work on the training pitch, it’s refreshing to hear someone so upbeat, positive and level headed.

In one 15 minute interview I get what Wagner wants out of the squad, the fans and his style, I never got that once from all the months of Smith. I expect Smith will go onto other clubs and who knows might be the right man for that club and good luck to him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't see why not. Personally, I'm happy with Wagner being appointed at Norwich

Edit: Oh cr4p, I mean Wagner's a terrible appointment, we're going to League One, we're doomed.

I'm not sure if you got my point. I am delighted with Wagner. But I was pointing out that your defence of Smith concerned his record. I was just pointing out that an abject failure like Steve Bruce had a better win percentage than Smith and over a longer period. But there were demonstrations  and walkouts during his tenure at West Brom.

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Absolutely, and actually that is exactly why I'm carrying on. I don't care that they're trying to be clever, the fact is that they're needlessly nasty, mean-spirited and unpleasant about the guy after he's gone. At the end of the day, I just don't like people like that. You could say it's more personal objection to their attitudes than anything about Smith specifically.

I think these attitudes pervade the club much more widely. Case in point about Webber and his mountain climbing for charity being treated like a cardinal sin that 'proves' he's just here for the money. The really nasty and derogatory comments about Smith and Jones who stepped in when nobody else would when the club was at a low that always come out when we're on a downward cycle. It's needless, vile abuse, but it's just widely accepted. That's not to say they should be above reasonable critique, but some of the stuff is truly vile.

Sadly that is a problem of the modern world and social media. People seem emboldened to say things online they would not say to someone's face because they know there is no comeback....which in many cases would be a punch in the face!

52 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed I always said during Hughes playing time, he was really very average in skill but you could never question his attitude or effort. You’re not wrong, watching that Wagner interview you can see he’s going to demand much more from the players and I can see that if they don’t do the job asked they’ll be sitting games out regardless of who they are. The high press game requires high energy and stamina which is something very lacking during the past 14 months.

As Wagner said Hughes knows what he wants and will demand our players do the work on the training pitch, it’s refreshing to hear someone so upbeat, positive and level headed.

In one 15 minute interview I get what Wagner wants out of the squad, the fans and his style, I never got that once from all the months of Smith. I expect Smith will go onto other clubs and who knows might be the right man for that club and good luck to him.

He is probably good working with players. And if its an attitude problem then I hope he solves it. Mind you I do despair that we praise players for the right attitude and effort. In fact, that should be the first priority of any player. We should condemn those we think are not giving full effort. People chastise Cantwell for certain unknown matters but never think to say that he plays properly and gives his all. As does Sarge.