Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Stoke City (No 2)

Aplologies for the accidental posting, I nearly spilt my tea on the keyboard

The weather continues very mild here in Norwich and after a heavy early morning shower had dried up conditions looked set fair for a decent match but my spirits were somewhat dampened when I clicked on The Lapps match thread to see the starting line up. I suppose the manager has some sort of plan in mind but I doubt if I was alone in being unable to decifer what it entailed.

The line up looked disjointed on paper and the early moments of the match did little to dispell that feeling. From the off the visitors looked bigger, stronger, quicker and more up for it than the home side. I thought it might get better as we settled down but it never happened and with much of the early play in our own half there was little to enthuse about. We were up to the ten minute stage before Onel got a bit of a run down the left but things petered out when he couldn't work the ball into the middle.

At our end, Stoke at least had a couple of efforts at goal although both were wayward but there was one heart in mouth moment when Gunn flapped at a cross and the ball found its way to Gayle who's low shot was blocked by Gibson. On paper we should be dominating sides like Stoke but out there on the grass it was exactly the opposite with the home side defending strongly and the visitors well on top.

We were past the midway stage before there was something to shout about when McCullum picked up a loose ball and headed up through midfield before releasing Ramsey on the left. From the cross, Hayden had a shot blocked and then managed to chip the ball over to Pukki who was unable to pull the trigger before being crowded out. It was a rare moment however as Gunn had been the busier of the two keepers and thankfully was not found wanting when he turned away a strong shot just after the half hour.

Stoke continued to look the more likely but seven minutes from the break the home side stung them with a goal against the run of play. Gibbs made a strong run through centre field before slipping the ball to Pukki who turned the defender inside out before rifling a shot that Bursik could only parry into the path of Ramsey, who had a simple task from close range. It felt a touch fortunate at the time and even more so a minute later when Brown almost equalised with a header from a driven cross. I think we were all happy with that at halftime, especially Dean Smith who might well have been facing another storm of boo's had events been slightly different.

City began the second period with a bit more purpose and pushed the Potters back and might have had a second goal when the ball pinged around in the penalty area before Hayden's half hit volley was grabbed on the line by Bursik at the second attempt. Unfortunately it didn't last and we endured another long period of Stoke domination with City turning all hands to the pump to keep themselves in front.  Stoke then had a few half chances but with a one goal lead I never felt entirely comfortable.

It wasn't a surprise when Sara replaced Dowell, who never really looked up to the pace of the game but it was the introduction of Nunez and especially Cantwell that finally turned things in the home sides favour. Todd did brilliantly to win the ball in our half and when the ball eventually found Ramsey on the City right he made good progress into the penalty area before touching the ball to Pukki who returned a back heel into his path and then a strong shot that Bursik got a hand too but could not prevent from rolling into the net.

Stoke probably felt hard done by at this stage but the home side suddenly unleashed a spectacular ten minute spell of flowing football that was in total contrast to what had gone before. Apparantly Sara almost netted a third but I didn't see it because I had nipped out for a quick wee. Then Cantwell, who was really up for it, brought a fine save out of the Stoke keeper with a shot from the edge of the area. The Sare really did net the third after great work from Cantwell and Nunez. Nunez might have got on the scoreboard himself but Pukki blocked his goalbound effort. Then Cantwell with a cute through ball to Hugil but Bursik blocked well at close range.

A shame Stoke netted in injury time but hard to say they didn't deserve a goal. A funny game football, on another day they could have won this.

Ramsey my MOM  but a great cameo from Todd might well have saved Smith's job today.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9

shorter than normal. Very disappointing. Ricardo Out. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[edit: this was a joke made when @ricardo posted a bit of his report early by mistake. Just looks like a horrible comment now that he's posted the whole thing. Sold me down the river, he has.] 

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

The weather continues very mild here in Norwich and after a heavy early morning shower had dried up conditions looked set fair for a decent match but my spirits were somewhat dampened when I clicked on The Lapps match thread to see the starting line up. I suppose the manager has some sort of plan in mind but I doubt if I was alone in being unable to decifer what it entailed.

The line up looked disjointed on paper and the early moments of the match did little to dispell that feeling. From the off the visitors looked bigger, stronger, quicker and more up for it than the home side. I

Click HERE to subscribe and read more.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

. I suppose the manager has some sort of plan in mind but I doubt if I was alone in being unable to decifer what it entailed.

Winning football matches. It's a results business afterall. End of.

It's a bit like our performance today.

A game of two halves.

A short wait and it will all come good!

Edited by sonyc

Sorry I made a hash of the posting.

a premature ejaculation.👍

Edited by ricardo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

And?

Don't try to drink tea and type at the same time🤪

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

You are CM and I claim my £5

Would imagine Dean Smiths wife and Delia picked the starting 11

Only thing worse would have been the donkey starting 

15 minutes ago, daly said:

Would imagine Dean Smiths wife and Delia picked the starting 11

Only thing worse would have been the donkey starting 

i don't think anyone could have guessed that starting 11.

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Excellent as always, Ricardo. Couldn't watch today - this is the next best thing. Cheers

If we could play like we did between the 70th and 80th minute we would be well clear by now. We had about 6 on target shots in that period. Unfortunately we only turn it on in patches.

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

assuming this means Bursik?

No, Nunez's shot from about 20 yards looked on target but Teemu couldn't get out of the way.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ricardo said:

No, Nunez's shot from about 20 yards looked on target but Teemu couldn't get out of the way.

ah, got it. I thought you were still talking about Sara's goal, but you mean a subsequent chance, don't you? Apologies.

• Thanks 1

Good summary. 

I thought the 2nd half was a game of 2 halves. We had the better quality and deserved the win.

I'm just glad I don't have to watch Stoke every week!

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

If we could play like we did between the 70th and 80th minute we would be well clear by now. We had about 6 on target shots in that period. Unfortunately we only turn it on in patches.

This here, is absolutely it for me - sums up our season. 

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

That is because Delia and Attanasio and co are not providing any motivation for promotion. Why should anyone bother when playing any better for longer will only result in severe pain at the end of it?

21 hours ago, ricardo said:

Don't try to drink tea and type at the same time🤪

How the hell can you expect to multi task? You don't have the right chromosomes.

On 29/10/2022 at 18:36, Robert N. LiM said:

shorter than normal. Very disappointing. Ricardo Out. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[edit: this was a joke made when @ricardo posted a bit of his report early by mistake. Just looks like a horrible comment now that he's posted the whole thing. Sold me down the river, he has.] 

That's corporates for you. Never trust them. 😉