Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Webber and Farke

Very occasionally in football you get a pair of people - or sometimes three people - who together work apparent miracles on the pitch. Clough and Taylor  for instance, together they were brilliant but alone they were mediocre at best. 

Webber and Farke was - on the face of it - a dream team. Yes Webber created that scenario, as he did with Wagner at Huddersfield but Webber, let's remind ourselves has been good at his job over the years - very good in fact - in that he has selected people to work with that have been able to work those miracles. Webber and Wagner was a great combo - and he created that again with Farke - maybe even better than what he did at Huddersfield.  Credit to him for that - he deserves it. 

His third try - "Webber and Smith" - doesn't appear to be working. Webber has lost a lot of his hero status that he earned when he came to us and did such a fantastic job on and off the pitch - and Smith looks a bit like he is going through the motions of it all, saying the right things but maybe lacking conviction.

Maybe we all have to hang in there - Webber/Smith/players/fans - and see through this spell of mediocrity and look forwards to seeing some blossoming of the potential we have, later in the season.  Webber and Smith between them have acquired some decent looking players - Sara, Hayden, Nunez (when on form), Ramsey.  We also have a plethora of young players champing at the bit to break through to the first team. We have Sargent, who is proving great at this level, Pukki, who still has that touch of class and we have Idah waiting in the wings to break in again once fully fit.

So on paper we have it all.  On the pitch though, it's not working.  Smith and Shakespeare surely have it in them with all their years of experience to turn it round?  Maybe the world cup break will be good for us, but I hope to goodness that Webber has a plan this time in case he has to sack Smith - because if we don't do well in the next few games befire the world cup, the pressure will be huge to move Smith on.

Best scenario? Smith gets us functioning and we pick up a few points in the next couple of weeks so we go into the break with some positivity.

Here's hoping..........

Edited by lake district canary
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Best scenario......

SMITH OUT NOW

He's had long enough

Possibly the best scenario would actually be  D.Smith, Webber and D.Smith out?

Edited by yellow_belly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In a year we’ve not looked like Smith can get us functioning so I’m not sure why you think it could all change so drastically now? 

What you say is quite possibly true Lakey, but it’s also quite possibly not. While I didn’t set much store by last the team’s performance last season and was prepared to cut Smith some slack at the start due to time needed to gel, some promising signs and, for a while, results, we are now back to most of what we would think is our best team. But we still don’t look like a top Championship performer. How much longer should we wait?

Best scenario is a total reset for the club, it has to come and will, probably not anytime soon though. Smith X2 and Webber have taken us as far as they can, any sense of moving forward again will only happen when any American investment is allowed to dictate direction.

Dean Smith will most certainly be the first to go, however that’s just a quarter of the problem. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Why does Delia's hubby get a free pass?

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

True bin MWJ as well. And Nepotism Tom. (Not fussed about Mrs Webber)

• Like 1

Thats a fair opening post . But i just cant agree with it. 

The real issue i come back to is a self inflicted own goal from Webber himself.

" we won the lottery but wazzed it up the wall " 

For me we've won two more lotteries and whist we have pu tup the new walls and stuff at the training ground we havent improved enough with that ' lottery ' money . And i cant see that changing over the next 12 months either. 

And that's my problem. We havent improved to the point i feel we are less well stocked with good enough players. I, and the other fans i know can put up with losing but we need to see improvement. And for us thats just not the case. 

An awful  lot of money has gone through the books since Webber has been in charge and we are not as a playing team any better off. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Very occasionally in football you get a pair of people - or sometimes three people - who together work apparent miracles on the pitch. Clough and Taylor  for instance, together they were brilliant but alone they were mediocre at best. 

Webber and Farke was - on the face of it - a dream team. Yes Webber created that scenario, as he did with Wagner at Huddersfield but Webber, let's remind ourselves has been good at his job over the years - very good in fact - in that he has selected people to work with that have been able to work those miracles. Webber and Wagner was a great combo - and he created that again with Farke - maybe even better than what he did at Huddersfield.  Credit to him for that - he deserves it. 

His third try - "Webber and Smith" - doesn't appear to be working. Webber has lost a lot of his hero status that he earned when he came to us and did such a fantastic job on and off the pitch - and Smith looks a bit like he is going through the motions of it all, saying the right things but maybe lacking conviction.

Maybe we all have to hang in there - Webber/Smith/players/fans - and see through this spell of mediocrity and look forwards to seeing some blossoming of the potential we have, later in the season.  Webber and Smith between them have acquired some decent looking players - Sara, Hayden, Nunez (when on form), Ramsey.  We also have a plethora of young players champing at the bit to break through to the first team. We have Sargent, who is proving great at this level, Pukki, who still has that touch of class and we have Idah waiting in the wings to break in again once fully fit.

So on paper we have it all.  On the pitch though, it's not working.  Smith and Shakespeare surely have it in them with all their years of experience to turn it round?  Maybe the world cup break will be good for us, but I hope to goodness that Webber has a plan this time in case he has to sack Smith - because if we don't do well in the next few games befire the world cup, the pressure will be huge to move Smith on.

Best scenario? Smith gets us functioning and we pick up a few points in the next couple of weeks so we go into the break with some positivity.

Here's hoping..........

My main point counter to this is that with all their years of experience it shouldn’t need sorting out it should of been right from day 1. 

I can forgive certain things but for a start one thing I can’t forgive is being out run, at no point this season have I felt our players left it all on the pitch for the cause or that they have massively out competed their opposite number. It always feels like we get out worked by teams I’ve tried to google this to see if there is the data to back up my feeling but I can’t see any. We are defensively poor far too often for it to just be bad luck it can only come from poor coaching. A side that lets 36 goal in at this level the last season we played should then be letting in 20 in 16 games. 

Just now, TheBaldOne66 said:

@lake district canary do you have a Farke teddy bear you take to bed at night as your constant love in with the guy is cringeworthy!

He’s been gone over a year yet you still haven’t got over it 🙈

I don't think I will ever think of Farke's sacking in any other way than a mistake, but if you bother to read the post properly, it's less about Farke and more about Webber and Smith. It's trying to recognise what was good about the Webber/Farke regime and about what is wrong now.

Farke is water under the bridge and the important thing is to get some successful partnerships happening going forwards.  If it is Webber/Smith, all well and good, but at the moment that is looking less likely than a change of manager with Webber needing to come up trumps with a Wagner or Farke type manager who have a bit about them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What makes me laugh about you is that you talk about Smith and Jones as if they're in some way accountable to you. They're not. They own the club on account of owning a majority of shares worth real money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

Agree. We have big problems. Ultimately Webber failed with the player recruitment to give Farke a chance in the PL and Delia bottled it and sacked the wrong guy. 

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What makes me laugh about you is that you talk about Smith and Jones as if they're in some way accountable to you. They're not. They own the club on account of owning a majority of shares worth real money. 

Which is why German football has it right. 

Although, I assume that you aren't a shareholder if you don't think board members are accountable to other shareholders. Never been to an AGM then? Michael Wynn-Jones was up for re-election in 2021.

Who were you supporting when thousands of us dug deep to buy shares in the club, Man Utd?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Confused 1

I believe Webber has enough in the bank to not be hounded out, yet.  Players have been bought to develop, however I’m sure we all agree that as a minimum they should probably already be a top quality champs player given our recent promotions. I need some convincing on that now.  And I struggle to make my mind up to say if there is a blame to be set one way or the other, but I lean to given the recruitment and where that sits, Smith should be given time to see what happens.  I also question on who could come in and turn us around to the point of a top two team, current quality looks more like top 10 / play off push. 
I guess this is our reset moment.  I recall Emi when he first arrived….time required, if some of our fans can handle that situation.  

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Which is why German football has it right. 

Although, I assume that you aren't a shareholder if you don't think board members are accountable to other shareholders. Never been to an AGM then? Michael Wynn-Jones was up for re-election in 2021.

Who were you supporting when thousands of us dug deep to buy shares in the club, Man Utd?

I didn't really have money for shares in the time it was a possibility.

Mind you, I also love the way you're working up the hierarchy in terms of what to scrap. Players... manager... the board... majority shareholders... the capitalist system...

All this for a bad run of 6 games.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe we all have to hang in there - Webber/Smith/players/fans - and see through this spell of mediocrity and look forwards to seeing some blossoming of the potential we have, later in the season. 

From a supporter perspective it really depends if you want to watch Smith's brand of football too.

I'm not engaged in it whatsoever, and neither him as a person.   When we've been winning i've just felt apathy, and to be honest - that feeling of disinterest is far worse than the feeling of being pissed off after a loss that puts you in a snarky mood all evening. 

I like the highs and lows that being invested in your club offers... When you're watching and kicking every ball, nervous in the final 5 minutes etc.  Don't feel any of that.

If there was anything to hang in there for, I would gladly go that route.  But I don't enjoy this direction at all, Just morally I think he deserves a fair crack at the job - I'm just not sure that if i remove my own biases, if he's past that point or we give him till Jan, or end of season.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think I will ever think of Farke's sacking in any other way than a mistake, but if you bother to read the post properly, it's less about Farke and more about Webber and Smith. It's trying to recognise what was good about the Webber/Farke regime and about what is wrong now.

Farke is water under the bridge and the important thing is to get some successful partnerships happening going forwards.  If it is Webber/Smith, all well and good, but at the moment that is looking less likely than a change of manager with Webber needing to come up trumps with a Wagner or Farke type manager who have a bit about them. 

I suppose, as with Farke, that's Webber and the board's call to make. I guess they must feel, like me, that the probability of turning around this run is better than the probability that a trip on the magical manager merry-go-round will turn things for the better.