Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

On road to promotion

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How dare you be positive about the fact that we were 9 unbeaten and are joint 1st in the table? Don't you know Smith is an awful fraud who needs to be sacked AT ONCE and replaced with the magical saviour horse riding icon Farke who never did anything wrong? 😉

Glass half full = joint 1st in table 🙂

Glass half empty = joint 3rd in table 😡

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think we've played 12 games and Sunderland are the only half decent side we've beaten. If I saw progression as a team I'd be giving Smith the benefit of the doubt but I'm not.

Hopefully I'll be eating these words in a couple of weeks after we put in some performances at Watford, Burnley and Sheffield United.

I was saying the same thing after we'd just won 6 in a row by the way so it's not just reacting to a bad result.

I definitely agree we can be a lot more confident if we're still in this sort of position at the half way stage.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

At what point does imagining stalkers become Paranoia? 

So many questions, so few answers. 

You asked a question by quoting me? And I reply. Yes, a clear case of stalking. Or was I to stop at the mention of the S word in order to protect your clearly delicate sensibilities. ?

I hope your not trusted around children your a bit odd.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Glass with no bottom = 3 points off 7th😭

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Realist = We've only beaten 1 half decent team in Sunderland and that could have easily gone either way. 

We struggle against decently organised sides and that's most of the top half of the league.

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Omobamidele and Nunez despite a little inconsistency over the last couple of games are clearly top Championship talents. I'll take that the jury is still open on Sara and Ramsey (I'm not particularly keen on him, at least as a winger).

Other than that we have squad players like McCallum and Sinani that have previously played at a good level in the division. Even players that are nowhere near it like Hugill are probably still top half Champs players.

Nunez is inconsistent. How many times can you say he has played solidly well for 90mins? That's not a slight on him, just that as he is new to English and European football, he is clearly still very much learning. Not to mention he is 22. Yes, he has shown some fantastic potential, though it's worth noting he's potentially playing out of position as he's more of an AM than DM which he'd been playing before, as seen by allowing Hendrick the time and space to shoot for Reading.

The same can be said of Omobamidele at 20, potential - yes, consistency as you say is questionable. You get that with youth though. Yesterday was a poor showing for him, and again just underlines that it is potential talent - not yet outright talent.

By that I mean, they don't deliver as consistantly as Hoolahan, Holt, Huckerby, Buendia did at this level. They are not close to Sarr yet - yet being the operative word.

Hernandez and Hugill were unable to get regular game time for WBA and Middlesbrough and went elsewhere to get minutes in January. I wouldn't say either were guaranteed top half championship players really. Solid at this level, possibly. If Hernandez was that assuredly good, he'd start games - but the majority view on this message board is that his best role is super-sub. Hugill... would he even be on the bench if Idah was fit?

McCallum is another with potential, did well at Coventry and QPR, the latter not struggling without him though. It's irrelevant talking about him at this point though because he's been injured and so out of our squad and unavailable.

I think we have to be really honest at this point. At the start of the season people were raising questions about a good number of this squad. Most said Hugill and Hernandez were not good enough for us anymore. People wondered if we would ever see even a half as good as we know he can be Cantwell in the final year of his contract. There were calls to sell Pukki - before the stories that broke suggesting he wanted to leave. And Sargent... a good number of people said he was an utter waste of space and a waste of money that they'd get rid of ASAP. Not to mention Hanley is a has-been, Zimmermann is a crock, Gibson is a liability, Aarons is over-rated and we should try to cash in. There were the posts suggesting the Huddersfield fans felt Sinani was very hit and miss. 

Suddenly, the weight of opinion is the very same squad that had been torn to shreds over the summer, are not a very good squad that should be nailed on for walking this division in 1st place... again, despite people suggesting Burnley and Watford (and sometimes WBA) were better placed to gain automatic promotion than us.

I have to say, I haven't seen any change in attitude of that section of support since after the first 5 games of last season. Many called for Farke's sacking too. 

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Funny you should say that, because yesterday only three players decided to stay on pitch and applaud the support, Sargent, was one not sure the other two but think it was Argos and Aarons, the rest including Smith run down the tunnel! Yesterday I got the impression there’s little love from the stands and I don’t think it’s any hangover it’s just a state of mind! It was a in painting terms Beige, nothing more than middle the road atmosphere, decent enough performance but just a little disconnected. I don’t go every week but two games I’ve attended just appears a little flat.

Yeah I noticed that. The other two were Sinani and Dowell I think. The remainder went down the tunnel pretty sharpish with no real appreciation to the crowd at all. Even Krul who generally acknowledges the supporters.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Realist = We've only beaten 1 half decent team in Sunderland and that could have easily gone either way. 

We struggle against decently organised sides and that's most of the top half of the league.

Realist: Despite having a pretty bad injury hit campaign so far, we are joint top on points having beaten sides people predicted (before the season started) would be higher up the table.

Long term injuries so far: McCallum, Gianoulis, Sorensen, Hayden, Rowe, Idah.
Injuries that kept players out for several games: Pukki, Byram, Sara, Cantwell, Dowell, Gunn, Gibson, Gibbs.

A brand new midfield from last season bar McLean and Sorensen (the latter of which hasn't been available) including a 19 year old who hasn't played more than 5 senior first team games before in his career and a 22yr old and a 23yr old who had never played in Europe before let alone England and who may have some language barriers still. 

Realist view, the neutral view, would be Norwich have done well to manage having to use 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice makeshift players in a couple of positions on the pitch and still get results to be joint first.

Most teams have been well organised and played defensively on the break because they knew that an open game would punish them. Sunderland were brave but learnt that lesson the hard way, much like we did in the premier league. Some could argue that was naivety. They didn't have the cutting edge to back up their open approach, we did and we won.

Realistically, the table doesn't lie. Joint 2nd best scorers in the league. 3rd best defensive record in the top 7. More importantly, only five teams have 7 wins to their name, of those five, only three have three draws beyond that, the current top three. We have conceded the same number as QPR in 3rd and have scored one more. Burnley - who people are saying are so much better than us, have scored the same number but conceded one less. Another contender for the "better than us" pile, Watford, have scored 3 less and conceded 3 more.

As for league positions... no point using that as an argument at all at this point. Sunderland won their last game and are now top half of the table, above Watford. Apparently that should make them tougher opponents. I suspect that no one would predict that Reading would be top 6... or even QPR. Equally I suspect no one thought Huddersfield and WBA would be bottom 3. Bristol City, after playing us, have gone on a shocking run of form having had one that rivalled ours before we met.

If you think that this league is littered with easy fixtures against teams that don't know how to set up, or that only teams in the top half of the table know how to be organised or operate at this level then you need to go look at videos of previous seasons of the Championship. Look at what Paul Warne achieved with Rotherham, his teams are always well organised, in the case of Rotherham it has been the lack of championship quality through the team. Coventry are similar, and there is a reason a few on here have suggested Warne and Robins as possible future managers for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chicken said:

If you think that this league is littered with easy fixtures against teams that don't know how to set up, or that only teams in the top half of the table know how to be organised or operate at this level then you need to go look at videos of previous seasons of the Championship. Look at what Paul Warne achieved with Rotherham, his teams are always well organised, in the case of Rotherham it has been the lack of championship quality through the team. Coventry are similar, and there is a reason a few on here have suggested Warne and Robins as possible future managers for us.

When I talk about the well structured sides in the top half I'm not saying there aren't any well drilled sides in the bottom half. They just tend to lack the quality to really hurt us. Coventry and Rotherham have 4 wins between them all season. 

The top half of the league this year has so many decent put together teams that already have or will stop us if we don't pull ourselves together.

It's obviously just a prediction though. Maybe I'm wrong and we're actually playing a brand of football that will be effective against the top end too. We might have just been unlucky against the better sides so far.

44 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think we have to be really honest at this point. At the start of the season people were raising questions about a good number of this squad. Most said Hugill and Hernandez were not good enough for us anymore. People wondered if we would ever see even a half as good as we know he can be Cantwell in the final year of his contract. There were calls to sell Pukki - before the stories that broke suggesting he wanted to leave. And Sargent... a good number of people said he was an utter waste of space and a waste of money that they'd get rid of ASAP. Not to mention Hanley is a has-been, Zimmermann is a crock, Gibson is a liability, Aarons is over-rated and we should try to cash in. There were the posts suggesting the Huddersfield fans felt Sinani was very hit and miss. 

Suddenly, the weight of opinion is the very same squad that had been torn to shreds over the summer, are not a very good squad that should be nailed on for walking this division in 1st place... again, despite people suggesting Burnley and Watford (and sometimes WBA) were better placed to gain automatic promotion than us.

I have to say, I haven't seen any change in attitude of that section of support since after the first 5 games of last season. Many called for Farke's sacking too. 

My opinion at the beginning of the season is pretty much the same as it is now - if most of the new signings hit the mark then we're the best squad in the league. I'm fairly positive from what I've seen of those new signings. I think our position in the league probably backs that up considering our actual level of performance hasn't been very good. I obviously hope we sign a winger in January as I don't really like Onel. Disappointingly I had really high hopes for Rashica this year.

Just having the best squad isn't a guarantee for promotion. We've seen that many times before. It's why I had been saying our results would catch up with the performances (sadly happening a couple of games earlier than I had expected).

Edited by KeiranShikari

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

When I talk about the well structured sides in the top half I'm not saying there aren't any well drilled sides in the bottom half. They just tend to lack the quality to really hurt us. Coventry and Rotherham have 4 wins between them all season. 

The top half of the league this year has so many decent put together teams that already have or will stop us if we don't pull ourselves together.

It's obviously just a prediction though. Maybe I'm wrong and we're actually playing a brand of football that will be effective against the top end too. We might have just been unlucky against the better sides so far.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

My opinion at the beginning of the season is pretty much the same as it is now - if most of the new signings hit the mark then we're the best squad in the league. I'm fairly positive from what I've seen of those new signings. I think our position in the league probably backs that up considering our actual level of performance hasn't been very good. I obviously hope we sign a winger in January as I don't really like Onel. Disappointingly I had really high hopes for Rashica this year.

Just having the best squad isn't a guarantee for promotion. We've seen that many times before. It's why I had been saying our results would catch up with the performances (sadly happening a couple of games earlier than I had expected).

Really? At the start of the season before Watford had lost anyone you thought we were better than them despite finishing below them last season and having lost Rupp, Normann, Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Tzolis?  Brave then. No wonder you think we are falling short.

As for the new signings, Sara we've only seen glimpses of due to being on his way back from injury, Hayden we have only his displays for Newcastle to go on, which just leaves Ramsey and Nunez.

Sorry if I struggle to believe that your heavy criticism comes from heavy optimism, it just doesn't add up for me.

The biggest phrase thrown around by people so far is "no style" or "brand". I don't think it's settled yet as largely our side hasn't been owing to the inconsistency of it's players. Sargent has probably been one of our most consistent performers this season, few last season would have predicted it.

Midfield still isn't settled. And that's the engine room, the ticking metronome of a good team is. Nunez has sat/held with McLean, it's worked but not looked comfortable. Gibbs has sat deeper of McLean and Nunez - which has looked the better, or worked the better prior to Gibb's injury. But then we had Cantwell too. Hernandez and Sinani started in the cup and earned their chances, but could only grasp it for a couple of games.

None of this is really a surprise. I love Onel, I really want him to nail that starting position, but he just keeps solidifying that super sub title he has been given.

As for performances... it isn't performances, it's brand/style. The performances have produced, on the whole, more shots and more goals than the majority of our opponents faced so far. That isn't "fluke" or "luck" - something is working. I find it difficult that people accept that in the premier league we can play brilliantly and lose to a couple of moments where focus is off. Yet, when we are down a league the opposite can't be true of the opposition.

Yesterday, our performance was one of the better ones we have seen this season and we lost, despite still having the clear "gilt edged" chances to bury Preston before their first goal. At the very least being 2-3 goals up and that's still half the chances really. Strange then that it is this game that suddenly is the "result our performances have deserved".

Honestly, I just don't know what some folk on here want? Nothing is good enough. We lose and people complain about losing, we go 9 unbeaten and it's the style/brand/entertainment or "performances". Then when we lose having played some of our best football it suddenly becomes the proof that the previous 9 games were all "false results"... The undeniable underlining factor here is people are actually willing the team to lose so they can say that their dislike of a manager is proven.

Embarrassing, utterly gutless and embarrassing. Not content with wanting us to be the embarrassment of the premier league, some folks are utterly intent to make us the embarrassment of the football league too.

Some Preston fans have been rightly attacking Norwich fans for their arrogance and entitlement on social media. I am incredibly inclined to agree with them based on the sorry evidence on here over the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I hope your not trusted around children your a bit odd.

Bit childish and pathetic but hey, so is losing your shoite over footy. Regularly babysit my grandkids and as I explained to another of your lot, who seem to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with them is unsafe around kids( this bit worries me that it's at the forefront of YOUR conciousness',) I'm a Garda vetted youth coach.  ) . None of which will matter one bit to you and the mug hating Mug, but there you have it. The truth. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Bit childish and pathetic but hey, so is losing your shoite over footy. Regularly babysit my grandkids and as I explained to another of your lot, who seem to assume that anyone who doesn't agree with them is unsafe around kids( this bit worries me that it's at the forefront of YOUR conciousness',) I'm a Garda vetted youth coach.  ) . None of which will matter one bit to you and the mug hating Mug, but there you have it. The truth. 

No one cares mate. Defensive much?

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

No one cares mate. Defensive much?

Not defensive,  truthful.  Notice that you've become more and more Twitter and Bisted ,like your weird Froggy friend. Strange fantasists.  

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Not defensive,  truthful.  Notice that you've become more and more Twitter and Bisted ,like your weird Froggy friend. Strange fantasists.  

What on earth are you even talking about? You lost me at "Blah blah blah not a danger to children honest blah blah blah"

2 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

What on earth are you even talking about? You lost me at "Blah blah blah not a danger to children honest blah blah blah"

There you go again. Your thoughts. Not mine , Odball.

Quit while you think you're ahead. .

Edited by wcorkcanary

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

There you go again. Your thoughts. Not mine , Odball.

Quit while you think you're ahead. .

I was ahead the first time I quoted you and continue to be ahead so at that point I will block you as your little horn for me is somewhat unnerving. 

19 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I was ahead the first time I quoted you and continue to be ahead so at that point I will block you as your little horn for me is somewhat unnerving. 

Good man , run along. 

11 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

If we’re in the top 3 at Christmas then I’m with you. I hope we can turn around our defensive frailties 

Feels like we have been saying we need to improve our defence for a good three season or more..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chicken said:

Really? At the start of the season before Watford had lost anyone you thought we were better than them despite finishing below them last season and having lost Rupp, Normann, Gilmour, Lees-Melou and Tzolis?  Brave then. No wonder you think we are falling short.

Watford had lost a few good names by that point (I also follow a general football forum and knew that others were likely on their way) and I didn't really think our losses significantly weakened us. I thought we'd 'lost' a couple of players that made us a basket case and would be more of a solid, put together team this year. 

Thinking a little more deeply about it I think my main complaint about the football is less about style and more about the principles behind the style. Are we outworking the other teams? No. Are we pressing well? No (Although I'd believe Smith if he was just protecting fitness with the squad so thin), are we controlling games? No. There are some things I think we should see no matter what set of players are on the field.

I don't think having more shots than the other team is necessarily a sign of a good performance. Smith himself has said that performances need to be a lot better after multiple games this year.

I'll take your point about injuries. Perhaps Hayden and Giannouls in this side allows us to settle on a style and build. Based on his Villa team I'm not sure that's ever going to happen though. 

I don't think I'm being overly demanding nor do I think we have a divine right to beautiful football at this level. I think a fair few more people will join my line of thinking after we start losing over the coming couple of weeks. I've said before, this season is Neil Adams all over again.

Wow Chicken you’re fast becoming the new Lakey (joking) with you’re new lectures! 😂👍 Actually agree with a lot of your points, but got me thinking after seeing the game, we could do with what everyone thinks is missing!

Aarons really doesn’t go forwards as much, we still get caught out at the back and Ramsey isn’t a number 10.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but, I would seriously play three at back, use Aaron’s and McLean as high wing backs and then play Nunez, Sara and Cantwell in a fluid midfield three behind Pukki, Sargent.

A kind of:

1, 3, 5, 2….

Gunn,

Gibson, Hanley, Omobamdele

Aarons,                        McLean

Nunez, Sara or (Gibbs)

Cantwell

Sargent, Pukki

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Indy said:

Wow Chicken you’re fast becoming the new Lakey (joking) with you’re new lectures! 😂👍 Actually agree with a lot of your points, but got me thinking after seeing the game, we could do with what everyone thinks is missing!

Aarons really doesn’t go forwards as much, we still get caught out at the back and Ramsey isn’t a number 10.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but, I would seriously play three at back, use Aaron’s and McLean as high wing backs and then play Nunez, Sara and Cantwell in a fluid midfield three behind Pukki, Sargent.

A kind of:

1, 3, 5, 2….

Gunn,

Gibson, Hanley, Omobamdele

Aarons,                        McLean

Nunez, Sara or (Gibbs)

Cantwell

Sargent, Pukki

I also think part of a back three suits Sorenson when he's fit.

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I also think part of a back three suits Sorenson when he's fit.

Indeed, probably fits most of our players off the bench too, Hernandez likes to cut in, Sinani played across the three and Dowell probably the only other number 10 we have. 
But yes Sorensen into the back three with Hanley & Omobamdele would be good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Watford had lost a few good names by that point (I also follow a general football forum and knew that others were likely on their way) and I didn't really think our losses significantly weakened us. I thought we'd 'lost' a couple of players that made us a basket case and would be more of a solid, put together team this year. 

Thinking a little more deeply about it I think my main complaint about the football is less about style and more about the principles behind the style. Are we outworking the other teams? No. Are we pressing well? No (Although I'd believe Smith if he was just protecting fitness with the squad so thin), are we controlling games? No. There are some things I think we should see no matter what set of players are on the field.

I don't think having more shots than the other team is necessarily a sign of a good performance. Smith himself has said that performances need to be a lot better after multiple games this year.

I'll take your point about injuries. Perhaps Hayden and Giannouls in this side allows us to settle on a style and build. Based on his Villa team I'm not sure that's ever going to happen though. 

I don't think I'm being overly demanding nor do I think we have a divine right to beautiful football at this level. I think a fair few more people will join my line of thinking after we start losing over the coming couple of weeks. I've said before, this season is Neil Adams all over again.

This is woefully blind, IMHO.

We clearly are "outworking" teams. We did Vs Preston at the weekend but lost. It can also be a lot harder to "outwork" teams when they park the bus, sit deep and force us to play in front of them. As I have said time and time again, the worst arguments on here don't consider there are two teams in a game of football and 3/4 of this league will not set up to try and play us off the pitch because they know they can't, they just don't have the players. They'd be happy just not losing to us, nicking the odd goal on the break or from a set piece.

Largely, that's what we've seen. We didn't see that the first promotion season as no one considered us as even outsiders for promotion via the play-offs. When relegated with Farke, I think people had taken note we hadn't improved the side in the premier league and hadn't signed anyone of particular note over the summer and again, we weren't favourites to win the league or even to bounce back at the first time of asking.

Re Watford, the season kicked off on the 29th July, Samir went on 13th and they lost Dennis on 14th August. Arguably, that's the point they have struggled on from. There were others that left, but the results say it all. They had two wins and two draws from their first four games up to and including the 16th August. Since then, they won 2 and drawn 3. Losing the other four fixtures and having one postponed.

Also worth noting that in the summer people were excited by us being linked with both Choudhury and Keinan Davis. The latter because it was felt other than Pukki we had no back up striker of note. Choudhury for the DM role... which in all fairness, due to injuries he probably would have been regular for us.

If you have listened to Smith, you will know what he wants the team to do when he says that. He has also said that he felt performances were good in games too. However, just in case you have missed it - he wants us to press higher up the pitch, he doesn't want us to abandon the footballing principles but he would like us to move the ball faster and with more intent. And as Farke often said, he wants the players to focus 100% of the time and cut out the sloppy errors.

When you look at the play, you can see where issues start to arise.

Krul is not the best ball playing GK, he came to us with that as a criticism, Farke worked on him and he has improved in that area. However, some games he slips back and this season, he has done that a little too often. Gunn was out injured the game before Preston. Hanley at left CB means that he wants it on his right. Hanley is better on the ball than he is given credit for but isn't as good as Omobamidele which is likely why Hanley is the one to be played on the left of the two. The issue here is two fold though as we have deployed Byram, a right footed player, at left back for several games. Again, he'd rather be on his right. This can lead to some slowness of passing down the left when we have the ball, and perhaps some reluctance to take risks on their weaker foot which is understandable.

So you have the GK and the left hand side of our defence being cumbersome with the ball at times. And that's just when we have the ball. It's all enforced though. The only real option we have at the moment is playing McLean there and we instantly look better when we do, just because he has a left foot and can open up his body and play down the width. However, we have also been lacking in CM with Gibbs injured and Sara slowly coming into the picture after an injury lay off and adapting to the English game.

For several weeks, McLean has been the only naturally left footed player on the pitch. That's not a great situation at all. 

Right, so that's part of the approach/style thing sorted. Formation, by the way, doesn't have to alter the way we play. Just the roles of some of the players. Preston is a great example. People saw the diamond midfield as being a massive change from 4-3-3, but in reality, it isn't. The same as when we used the diamond under Lambert, the tip was Hoolahan, not a player known for his combative midfield presence or his hard work tracking back... though he did at times.

In many senses the change is how the two banks of three work. The front three changes from one player as the focus of attacks and two wider players supporting, you have two players forming the attack with one supporting. In the CM three, instead of having a double pivot and a player almost joining the wide attackers, you have one holding/defensive midfielder and the other two play wide of them. In theory, good teams can switch between those two with fluidity during a game. The same as a 4-2-3-1 can quickly become a 4-4-1-1.

I think people generally are asking for too much, especially if they are using the god awful argument of "luck" or "false position" whilst arguing one game proves it. And then want us to lose further games purely to massage their own ego. It's disaster capitalism for scoring internet forum points. It is literally the definition of a stopped clock.

9 games in a row unbeaten... that's some luck, one hell of a false position run of form. Sure, shots on goal doesn't mean we were dominant in any way... other than in creating chances, and as importantly, scoring them. Purely by chance we have done that more games than not, and also, prior to Saturday, had a decent defensive record too.

• Like 3

On 09/10/2022 at 12:49, mr footy said:

Yes a hold up on route to prem yesterday but we will soon be up to speed again next game.A little unlucky to concede 3 goals but 2 well taken goals shows real attacking threat. While most of the teams in this division are like minis,fiestas, escorts,hillman imps,we are like a Bentley, pure class.They are stuck on the b roads, we are on the motorway to the prem.

One of the most deluded posts I have ever seen on here. Even setting aside the fact that the boy Webber once compared us to Vauxhall motors, on what basis do we belong anywhere near the EPL?

On 09/10/2022 at 12:51, cambridgeshire canary said:

How dare you be positive about the fact that we were 9 unbeaten and are joint 1st in the table? Don't you know Smith is an awful fraud who needs to be sacked AT ONCE and replaced with the magical saviour horse riding icon Farke who never did anything wrong? 😉

found a stream for this one pal?