Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

1963 Cup Footage

Remember it well, I was in the River End and even from there Gordon Banks looked very formidable.

It was no surprise that Terry Alcock failed to score, Banks was at the time the best in the world and was enough to intimidate anyone.

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ve never seen this before, was anyone in the biggest crowd ever at Carrow Road? 

https://youtu.be/0qNPmMtwyoU

5 years too early for me but @ricardomentioned it a while back. I was baffled how they managed to fit all those people in but apparently there was standing at the front of the Main (City) Stand in those days. And you can see in the film that there were kids sitting down on the cinder track. 

Lovely to see Tommy Bryceland again! 

What a find.

I too was intrigued how 44,000 got in to the Carra, it seems 4,000 were standing in front of the stands!

Also were Leicester given the whole of the River End, the celebrations of their goals implies this?

If it weren't for Gordon Banks bor ....... !

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

What a find.

I too was intrigued how 44,000 got in to the Carra, it seems 4,000 were standing in front of the stands!

Also were Leicester given the whole of the River End, the celebrations of their goals implies this?

I may have this wrong but I think the Main Stand was seating at the back and standing at the front and for the Leicester game kids were sitting on the cinder track. 

The biggest crowd I've been in at Carrow Road was around 37,500. I could barely move so God knows what it was like against Leicester. I assume there were kids all around the ground on the track? 

51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

5 years too early for me but @ricardomentioned it a while back. I was baffled how they managed to fit all those people in but apparently there was standing at the front of the Main (City) Stand in those days. And you can see in the film that there were kids sitting down on the cinder track. 

Lovely to see Tommy Bryceland again! 

Yes, I was there and as I recall I was in the South stand close to the halfway line and about two thirds of the way up. It was impossible to get out for a pee but thankfully I had no prostate problems as a teenager.

People who got in late probably never saw much as you could hear them moving about behind trying to get in.

There have only ever been 5 home gates above 40k, all FA Cup and I was at 4 of them.

Yes, lovely to see Tommy Bryceland again, what a clever player he was. Two good full backs as well, Phil Kelly and Barry Staton. We were unlucky to lose that day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I may have this wrong but I think the Main Stand was seating at the back and standing at the front and for the Leicester game kids were sitting on the cinder track. 

The biggest crowd I've been in at Carrow Road was around 37,500. I could barely move so God knows what it was like against Leicester. I assume there were kids all around the ground on the track? 

Yes, there was a standing area in front of the old main stand called The Enclosure.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, there was a standing area in front of the old main stand called The Enclosure.

Thanks Ricardo! Tommy was clever. A lower level Emi although I was only 9 when I saw him play so may be rose tinted glasses. 

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thanks Ricardo! Tommy was clever. A lower level Emi although I was only 9 when I saw him play so may be rose tinted glasses. 

No, it was a different game then but Tommy had that same low centre of gravity and all the the flicks and tricks. You can't  compare different eras because the game has moved on a players are much quicker and fitter, but for that time and that level Tommy gave us just as many magic moments as Emi did.

• Like 1

Yes, Dad and I were in the South Stand. All ticket of course. That is the only time I can recall be terrified at times. Great sways of humanity and though I was big for a 12 year old, Dad had me clamped by my collar. How he managed to roll a fag still mystifies me as you couldn't move your arms.

Didn't know at that time that we were watching the man who would become the greatest keeper ever. If only we had scored first I think we could have won. 

Of course that was the big freeze and nothing for two months and then everything in three months. The highlight apart from another great Cup run was beating Matthew's Stoke 6-0 on sand.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

What a find.

I don’t think back then away supporters were given any particular part of the ground, but perhaps someone even older than me can confirm.

8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I don’t think back then away supporters were given any particular part of the ground, but perhaps someone even older than me can confirm.

There was no segregation back then.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Dad had me clamped by my collar. How he managed to roll a fag still mystifies me as you couldn't move your arms

Ashamed to admit that in my youth I could roll a ciggy one handed whilst driving. 

When we played Palace in 1973 I had food in my pocket but couldn't get it to my mouth😂

Remember it like yesterday 

Queued round Bracondale for a ticket for Enclosure waited hours

All Norwich seemed to be there

Had a job to get babysitter for my first two children as the wife was working and probably had to pay a couple of bob over the going rate

No segregation no trouble 

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

I don't know how many tickets Leicester got but you tended to congregate together for away games anyway. I expect they may have had a few for the Main Stand but don't remember them being in the South Stand. The Barclay wasn't what it became in about 1966 when chanting seemed to begin. Then by 1968 it was always a free for all.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't know how many tickets Leicester got but you tended to congregate together for away games anyway. I expect they may have had a few for the Main Stand but don't remember them being in the South Stand. The Barclay wasn't what it became in about 1966 when chanting seemed to begin. Then by 1968 it was always a free for all.

The eary to mid sixties was the quiet before the storm, home and away supporters together was the accepted norm. It got a bit nasty later on unfortunately. When I started taking my son in the mid seventies you needed to be very careful.

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ve never seen this before, was anyone in the biggest crowd ever at Carrow Road? 

I was, about 10 rows back in the South Stand just to the right of the half way line.

I was 14 at the time, not very tall so couldn't actually see a lot.

49 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I was, about 10 rows back in the South Stand just to the right of the half way line.

I was 14 at the time, not very tall so couldn't actually see a lot.

What was the noise from the crowd like back then compared to modern times? 

I was in the Barclay for this match with many Leicester supporters.  I remember being very disappointed we lost and Leicester fans singing after the game  and rubbing it in - something about bluebells but I don’t think they have an actual club song?

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think it was a lot louder then and not because there were nearly 18,000 more people than what you get now.

I think back then nearly everybody would sing and make a noise almost continuously where as now a lot of the people who go only really bother when we score.

I think being able to stand up had a lot to do with it. Standing definitely produces a better atmosphere

With 44,000 in Carrow Road you were packed in pretty much like sardines.

If you're tightly jammed in next to people, and they're all singing then, whoever you are, you tend to join in more.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When we played Palace in a night game in 1973 in front of 37,000 my dad could hear the crowd noise in Poringland. My recollection of those days is that it always seemed noisier at night. 

On 04/10/2022 at 09:31, Midlands Yellow said:

Yes. Stood under the clock in the corner with my father, uncle and cousin. My father had both arms braced on the safety rails to hold the crowd off of me. When they surged forward my feet came off the ground. 

23 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't know how many tickets Leicester got but you tended to congregate together for away games anyway.

The FA rules gave visiting clubs up to 25% of the crowd, if they wanted it. So, in this instance, Leicester had 11,000 tickets (a few seats in the Main Stand, but vast majority were 'ground' admission)

Credit to 'The Archive' for this snippet.

I was one of the record crowd of 43,894 back in the day when on the ball city was sung not chanted,

Edited by TIL 1010

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

The FA rules gave visiting clubs up to 25% of the crowd, if they wanted it. So, in this instance, Leicester had 11,000 tickets (a few seats in the Main Stand, but vast majority were 'ground' admission)

Credit to 'The Archive' for this snippet.

Is that a record for number of visiting fans at Carrow Road? 

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Is that a record for number of visiting fans at Carrow Road? 

Logic would suggest so (25%, Sat ko).

No doubt there are folk South of the Border who tell tales of the day they took 15/20/25 thousand to Naarich for the Texaco Cup final, but The Archive doesn't give a figure.

The biggest non-neutral City following would appear to be from the 1959 Cup Run, with an allocation of 16,900 for the Spurs tie. Other notables include 14,000 for the Sheff U match in 1959 and 14,250 for another FAC tie at Bramall Lane, in 1962..

Edited by NewNestCarrow
typo

49 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was one of the record crowd of 43,894 back in the day when on the ball city was sung not chanted,

And with the correct lyrics

On 04/10/2022 at 20:44, Midlands Yellow said:

We had rattles and I had a megaphone. I couldn't use either because it was too crushed. But for normal matches I could give it a good "Give it to Varco".