The Great Mass Debater

Why did noone come in for Max?

Max has suffered from Farke's tactics of playing every ball through into the middle of the park to be walked through to Teemu. 

When was the last time you saw him go past a player and cross into the penalty box?

He's been coached all his first team career to get the ball inside to the midfield or back to the keeper. 

We need Steen Nedergaard to cross balls for Josh and Jordan 🤣

I think he's suffering from Smith's tactics too with this regimented 4-3-3. Maybe due to the lack of DM as well. Barely seems to go over the halfway line nowadays.

Of course the team's need should be greater than his, but it must be incredibly frustrating for him.  

because he is nowhere near good enough and when he has been in the prem he has been torn apart.

9 times out of 10 he doesn't cross the ball when he should, on the off chance he does its dreadful. 

Doesn't seem like he has that pace now either, struggles to take a man on 1v1. 

Another Jamal Lewis 

1 minute ago, urdie_Canary said:

because he is nowhere near good enough and when he has been in the prem he has been torn apart.

9 times out of 10 he doesn't cross the ball when he should, on the off chance he does its dreadful. 

Doesn't seem like he has that pace now either, struggles to take a man on 1v1. 

Another Jamal Lewis 

You are right of course. Jamal has no pace. None at all. So slow. Bully for you to have spotted this flaw in his game.

I mean in terms of all the hype, ended up fizzling out and being bang average... like Jamal Lewis 

Edited by urdie_Canary

On first read lots of these comments seem pretty harsh for someone who is a good player and has been very loyal to us.

But actually they are probably all right. He very much reflects us as a club - too good for championship but doesn't have the quality to really make it in the premier league.

He could probably make it at one of the constantly battling against relegation teams but he doesn't have the level of quality at any level (ie defending/tackling/forward play/physicality/height) to be at a really decent team.

Unfortunately he has now moved out of the 'potential' stage and therefore a club would need to be looking at him as an immediate starter.

I expect there may still be some debate as to whether we are partly responsible for stunting his development.... if he had got a move a couple of years ago he may have benefited from working with better players and coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

I mean in terms of all the hype, ended up fizzling out and being bang average... like Jamal Lewis 

Max is a great asset to the club. The only problem is that when we are struggling to break teams down, as we were against Wesr Brom on Saturday, a lot of the emphasis seems to fall on Max to make things happen, to get down the line or to cut in and attack the box. He does it well and with great energy, but he is still actually a full back.

He's one of those players that we would think of as great if he was an opposition player. We would see the many good things in his game and be impressed.

Now that he has been in the side for years, we take the good things for granted and some people start to focus on the less good things. Ho hum. That's football fans for you.

14 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The other key difference is that Aarons plays in a team where if you're caught out of position you're in the **** as there's very few defensive players picking up the pieces.  Basically working your **** off with very little reward, even if you get out wide up the field you can't float a ball in to someone like Teemu, as you lose possession and have to run immediately back.

You can see how he's had to adopt to a much safer approach to playing, almost in a selfish manner to protect his reputation.   It's why he sits off when defending and chooses to jockey opponents rather than being more aggressive and risks being a scapegoat.

So far this season he seems to be taking more risks, but he's still got to push himself more - This is why players like Hayden are super critical for us, just as Skipp and Tettey were previously.

I think you'll find that will be the coaching. Dean Smith has recently spoken about how he is trying to improve Aarons defensively.

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Beckham, by the Time he was Max's age had already established himself as a deadball Wiz. If everyone could just practice  and be THAT good, they would.  There is definitely an element of 'gift' involved . Max is decent , pretty quick , a ' good' player at our level.  I dont think hes good enough to be highly sought after Like him though as he does actually  seem to give a shoite.  

As for his lack of saleability being the reason weve looked into outside of investment.....Only on the internationally famous Pinkun. 🤷‍♀️

I would agree with the ability to cross on the move, that isn't an easy skill to learn. But practice does hone skill and Beckham was famous for staying behind and practicing free kicks, as was Johnny Wilkinson at the time, for doing the same in rugga.

Dead balls can certainly be practiced and perfected. It's just not every players inclination to do so. And usually, when it comes to training you put your best taker on it. Like with most things these days with footy, if you haven't established that as at least a half decent skill by the time you are 18, there is likely to be someone else already there, and practicing your own set pieces won't be seen as important.

Comparatively though, that is why he isn't in the same bracket as Trippier. Along with not being as solid defensively, yet. 

16 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Would Aarons take a direct free kick over Nunez? At the moment no and I can't see if ever happening.

It wasn't so much a case that he could, more that in terms of delivery from wide could get better and be improved. 

2 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Who is Noone? Was it Peter aka Herman’s Hermits? If so, why did he want Max?! Intriguing… 🤔

Exactly what i was wondering.   

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I think you'll find that will be the coaching. Dean Smith has recently spoken about how he is trying to improve Aarons defensively.

Oh for sure, you can see how Smith is allowing/wanting him to be more physically aggressive this season.  But to fully step up to the plate and be a complete player in that position more risks have got to be taken in an attacking sense.

I don't think we'll see that from him until there's ample cover in the defensive mid position(s) - He's someone who's clearly wanting to protect his reputation at all costs, he knows it's a very slippery slope.