The Great Mass Debater

Why did noone come in for Max?

Farke apparently wanted a loan deal, but with us having rejected a loan deal from Barcelona whilst he was manager here Im surprised if he thought he'd get anywhere with that.

Max was previously linked with hosts of big clubs, but yet again no serious bids seem to have materialised. Have there been bids but well below the asking price, or is there simply no interest.

I feel sorry for him, cant help but feel like he might have missed the boat (one he might not have missed if his atitude were worse). Feel sorry for him that his behaviour has been exemplary yet he hasnt had that rewarded.

I tend to think his performances reflect that of the team, if we play well he's normally played well and vice versa. Dare I say he hasn't really kicked on as much as we'd hoped in the past couple of seasons? Teams may wonder if he really has the ability to make the step up so want to try him out first with a loan deal. Definitely still has the potential but think he still needs a brilliant season here to earn the permanent move away, unless someone gets desperate at the end of the January window.

Honestly, I think he's too short for sides who play 4 at the back. 

Aarons being beaten to headers at the back post is a common theme.

Still think he'll get a big move eventually though, took Trippier a long time to establish himself as an elite player.

• Like 2

I think he's probably not good enough for a big team and too expensive for a mid-table Premier League team.

I'd imagine we were after north of £20m still for him- in comparison Leeds were able to get Kristensen from Salzburg for under £12m and he is an international player with European experience. 

52 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Definitely the main reason he has not gone to a big club, compare Max's height with Trent Alexander-Arnold for instance amd the latter is not particularly tall for a modern player.

I can see Max still being here in 15 years, mirroring the great Ron Ashman with his loyalty and reliability, another 700 plus appearances player.

Clubs would've come in for him no doubt, just none matched our valuation.  Who knows what kind of moves were on the table for him.

Look at Pukki, none of us knew prem league clubs came in for him till he mentioned in a post match interview about the interest and felt he was due a move.  I'd imagine the buzz around Max is constant - but we may have 20m as a minimum before we come close to the table.

Worth pointing out that both Max and Teemu started the season angrier than I've seen them before too, Both getting involved in rather un-necessary confrontations.  It was more out of character for Teemu, but Max still seems to be carrying some spice to his game... It's good to see though, compared to the likes of Rashica or Lees Melou who just had no interest in this season.

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Definitely the main reason he has not gone to a big club, compare Max's height with Trent Alexander-Arnold for instance amd the latter is not particularly tall for a modern player.

I can see Max still being here in 15 years, mirroring the great Ron Ashman with his loyalty and reliability, another 700 plus appearances player.

TAA being a bit found out this season though- he might be taller but he's still not a good defender.

• Like 1

Can’t think who would need him that can afford him to be honest. If he’d been a left back it might be a different story but there’s loads of good right backs at the moment. I’d imagine Spurs thought about him but could then get Djed Spence for much cheaper than we want for Max. Arguably less proven but far easier deal to do.

Glad we didn’t cave in and sell for cheap anyway as he’s more important to us this season than say £15m would be.

• Like 1

Might be a blessing for Max that he didn’t force through a move somewhere only to end up on the Jamal Lewis trajectory. We’re not such a bad club for a footballer to earn a living at.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

Might be a blessing for Max that he didn’t force through a move somewhere only to end up on the Jamal Lewis trajectory. We’re not such a bad club for a footballer to earn a living at.

While i agree that its a good club , it would be interesting  to know what other members of  the England u21 squad that max played in ,are earning now compared to him .  ,

Max has not seemed to improve in either defending or as attacking FB.  Since his impressive first season.  He is going to be a backup at a lower standard PL club.  Who ever it is with he will be earning considerably more. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Honestly, I think he's too short for sides who  play 4 at the back. 

Still think he'll get a big move eventually though, took Trippier a long time to establish himself as an elite player.

Max is an excellent player for us, but I suspect that even his positive attributes aren't standout enough for a top club given that one glaring and targetable weakness that you have highlighted.  Plus he doesn't have the dead ball strengths of a Trippier for example to mitigate this and whilst he is decent on the ground and going forward and pretty consistent with it I'm not convinced that he leaps off the stats pages.

Part of me hopes he'll get his move if only to reward his professionalism and loyalty.  I certainly won't begrudge him a big move.   But I'd seriously doubt that it will be as first choice to a really top side.  Could see someone snapping him up cheaply when his contract expires as cover mind you.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

TAA being a bit found out this season though- he might be taller but he's still not a good defender.

TAA isn't a defender in any way aside from the fact that Klopp shoehorns him in there (I'm amazed that he hasn't been tried in a deep central playmaking role for Liverpool or England.)  Compare him to Robertson on the other side who is a complete fullback in the traditional sense.  But again, his attacking contribution means that the occasional lapse is outweighed.  Max doesn't really offer anything comparable.  Decent enough but nothing standout at that level.

5 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Max is an excellent player for us, but I suspect that even his positive attributes aren't standout enough for a top club given that one glaring and targetable weakness that you have highlighted.  Plus he doesn't have the dead ball strengths of a Trippier for example to mitigate this and whilst he is decent on the ground and going forward and pretty consistent with it I'm not convinced that he leaps off the stats pages.

Part of me hopes he'll get his move if only to reward his professionalism and loyalty.  I certainly won't begrudge him a big move.   But I'd seriously doubt that it will be as first choice to a really top side.  Could see someone snapping him up cheaply when his contract expires as cover mind you.

Yeah, I was going to say he doesn’t defend as well as Trippier, attack as well and Trippier takes a great free kick too. Max seems to have plateaued, I don’t know whether that is because of coaching or he has reached his potential.

10 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

I think you're probably right and in part I think he's suffered due to our yo-yoing. It is hard to keep progressing as a player when we go up and down each season and it is hard to impress as a right back in a team that has issues all over the pitch and can't compete.

I think he'll likely end up getting a move to a Villa/Wolves/Leicester (provided they pull out of their current nose dive) in the next season or two and then who knows if he kicks on from there. But he is too good to be playing every other season in the second tier.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Max has not seemed to improve in either defending or as attacking FB.  Since his impressive first season.  He is going to be a backup at a lower standard PL club.  Who ever it is with he will be earning considerably more. 

I agree. He seems to have gone backwards in last two years or so. 

Still carries threat going forwards but I think the searing pace of those days has dropped off somewhat. His 'end product' has never been exemplary and the goal v Wigan that we hoped might 'light the fuse' has so far failed to do so. The defensive frailties are well documented. I think he's now a 'good to very good'  fullback whereas we used to think / hope  of him as 'outstanding'. 

Diangana & Thomas-Asante gave him a torrid time at the weekend, beating him for pace several times. Midweek turned his back to Wells for Bristol's first goal (and hardly blocks or stops crosses coming in).Also as pointed out by others now stops at the halfway line when we are on the attack.

So in my opinion this is why investment has now been accepted as Aarons was seen as the last asset for the self-funding model and no one actually wants him.

Living over 400 miles from Carrow Road I obviously don't see them live very often &, particularly in the Championship, TV exposure is extremely limited. Therefore I am not prepared to say my views on Max are worth as much as those of you that see live games regularly but here is my opinion anyway.

If you are looking for a top quality full back, one look at our goals against column for the past four years or so would probably make you dismiss any Norwich City player. This may be very unfair on Max. Those of you watching him week in, week out, are far better than me to judge.

During our two recent Premiership seasons, match photos of Norwich defenders featured as prominently  as almost any other players from the rest of the Premiership teams. Unfortunately, very often a yard or so behind the opposition player scoring against us. Not a good look for anyone hoping to catch the eye of a top team. Again this may be unfair to Max but I do feel there is an element of truth in what I am saying here. 

He may deserve a place in a better team but, as others have already stated, he doesn't seem to have developed as well as it initially appeared he would. 

Edited by Cornwall Canaryfan

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was talking to a friend about this recently... yes, I actually have friends, I know, shocking! We used Trippier as a comparison. The key difference between Trippier and Aarons is delivery. Trippier is still in demand post 30 because he can put a decent ball into the box and his set piece consistency.

Harsh to say it but Aarons has neither of those. Pace, yes, tenacity, yes, skill, yes. But he isn't outstanding with balls into the box or with out and out defending. Especially not in comparison to Trippier. Aarons is still young, set pieces can be drilled, practiced to perfection, after all, that's what Beckham did.

33 minutes ago, chicken said:

I was talking to a friend about this recently... yes, I actually have friends, I know, shocking! We used Trippier as a comparison. The key difference between Trippier and Aarons is delivery. Trippier is still in demand post 30 because he can put a decent ball into the box and his set piece consistency.

Harsh to say it but Aarons has neither of those. Pace, yes, tenacity, yes, skill, yes. But he isn't outstanding with balls into the box or with out and out defending. Especially not in comparison to Trippier. Aarons is still young, set pieces can be drilled, practiced to perfection, after all, that's what Beckham did.

Would Aarons take a direct free kick over Nunez? At the moment no and I can't see if ever happening.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

The key difference between Trippier and Aarons is delivery. Trippier is still in demand post 30 because he can put a decent ball into the box and his set piece consistency.

The other key difference is that Aarons plays in a team where if you're caught out of position you're in the **** as there's very few defensive players picking up the pieces.  Basically working your **** off with very little reward, even if you get out wide up the field you can't float a ball in to someone like Teemu, as you lose possession and have to run immediately back.

You can see how he's had to adopt to a much safer approach to playing, almost in a selfish manner to protect his reputation.   It's why he sits off when defending and chooses to jockey opponents rather than being more aggressive and risks being a scapegoat.

So far this season he seems to be taking more risks, but he's still got to push himself more - This is why players like Hayden are super critical for us, just as Skipp and Tettey were previously.

Good player for a top 26 team. Good sub option for a top 8 team. Depends if he wants to play or not. He is probably not much better off elsewhere if he does and may as well stick with us. Might play as a regular prem player for a Brentford or Southampton level side. 

He’s the model professional and quite good. Unfortunately he’s not excellent consistently and if someone offered £15m with decent add ons Max would be off very quickly. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

As has been said many times before, I think his lack if height is the one thing thing stopping him moving to a top 4 side, it doesn't mean he still won't make it there though. He's still quite young, only being 22 despite being in our squad for many years already

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Beckham, by the Time he was Max's age had already established himself as a deadball Wiz. If everyone could just practice  and be THAT good, they would.  There is definitely an element of 'gift' involved . Max is decent , pretty quick , a ' good' player at our level.  I dont think hes good enough to be highly sought after Like him though as he does actually  seem to give a shoite.  

As for his lack of saleability being the reason weve looked into outside of investment.....Only on the internationally famous Pinkun. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

… I also think that he would be better moving his position to midfield/ wing. He is good going forward but lacking when it comes to defending. He looks good going forward.