Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

Nunez Best player since Madderson

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

The problem with that statement is that both Maddison and Emi were better than Wes. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wes and he was great for us, but purely from a footballing ability perspective, both are better, and it's not even close in my opinion.

As for Nunez, looks to have the making of a brilliant player for us and I hope you're right, but lets not jump to such conclusions based upon 2.5 games?

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I respectfully disagree. You could maybe make an argument that for us Wes was better, based upon longevity, but on ability, Wes is ahead of Nunez based upon small sample size but both Emi and Maddison are out in front. 

Get out, now 🤣

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I have fond memories of screaming at him in rage as you see him twiddle around in a circle to lose the ball.

My favourite ever Wes moment was when he hit a volley / half volley from about 30 yards toward the River End I was on my feet shouting "You Fcuking Tawt" 
I got as far as " You Fuuuu and it turned into BEAUTY" as the ball sailed past the keeper into the goal 😂

He tawt you which of you was the tawt 😇

Good story, was a wonderful player for us at times. Looking forward to seeing Nuñez in the flesh

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I respectfully disagree. You could maybe make an argument that for us Wes was better, based upon longevity, but on ability, Wes is ahead of Nunez based upon small sample size but both Emi and Maddison are out in front. 

Perhaps Emi was the best technical player to ever wear our shirt?
You are right though Wes is in our hearts for his longevity.

Old Wes only had one boot though didnt he 🤣

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

He tawt you which of you was the tawt 😇

Good story, was a wonderful player for us at times. Looking forward to seeing Nuñez in the flesh

Yup totally 😂
Its probably one of the reasons i remember it so fondly and vividly!

Lets not talk about that peno thing he tried though (PNE??) ... worked for Nunez though right 😁

There's no doubt Nunez looks the part but at the moment he drifts in and out of games too much to beat any of the others mentioned. Considering he's only been here a few weeks he looks mighty impressive the way he's simply slipped into the team and already feels like part of the furniture. Can say the same for Gibbs though, not quite at the level Skipp was when he left us but the more I see of that boy the more I like. Great performance tonight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Yup totally 😂
Its probably one of the reasons i remember it so fondly and vividly!

Lets not talk about that peno thing he tried though (PNE??) ... worked for Nunez though right 😁

😂

Don’t remind m- too late 😳

Maybe  the Nuñez one was a sign.. the new anointed one

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

That boot had a bloody magnet in it though, once he had the ball it never went far away from the end of his boot 

• Like 1

He was a special player and very grounded. 
One of my mates has a great story about teeing off on the second hole to have a golf cart whip up and a little Irish lad jump out and ask to join up with them.
They all welcome him to make a 4 and my mate shanks the ball off the Tee as he looks up and says "Fcuk me, your Wesley Hoolahan"
Just a total city legend.

Didn't watch tonight. Did Núñez last the full 90? (I know he wasn't subbed, I mean - did he maintain his levels?) Has seemed to fade in games so far. Very promising if he played well for the whole game tonight.

Ah man, all this "who was better than who" stuff again.

For me, it's about consistency. All very well looking bloody amazing in the Championship...

Wes is without a doubt, the best player we have had in terms of creative forward attacking player at the club for 15yrs. He did it consistently in the premier league.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4357/Wes-Hoolahan/stats

Four seasons, 12 goals, 19 assists, 20 big chances created.

Buendia had one premier league season for us and didn't play as consistently as Hoolahan did and, IMHO never hit those heights. Yes, important player. Different players too. Hoolahan as the No.10 behind Holt. Buendia as a wide AM as part of an attacking three behind the striker.

Maddison never reached those heights with us, and in all fairness, he was 21 when he left us. Buendia is a month younger than Maddison and arrived as he left - so joined us at 21.

Nunez is only a handful of games in, the is absolutely no way we can compare accomplishments at this point with him. He is most certainly promising and his early impressions surpass any of those names mentioned, but now that has to become consistent over a longer period. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Nunez is only a handful of games in, the is absolutely no way we can compare accomplishments at this point with him. He is most certainly promising and his early impressions surpass any of those names mentioned, but now that has to become consistent over a longer period. 

To be fair, though, it's much nicer reading massive post-game overreactions on here when they're positive!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I think Buendia arguably had a slightly better range of passing and was capable of being more defensive. I wouldn't say he was more technical though. Wes could be incredibly intricate both with skill and with short punchy passing in and around the box.

25 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Didn't watch tonight. Did Núñez last the full 90? (I know he wasn't subbed, I mean - did he maintain his levels?) Has seemed to fade in games so far. Very promising if he played well for the whole game tonight.

Yeh he does fade a bit.
Started really badly like 3 hospital passes / touches in a row badly but got into the game.
He didnt get bounced around as much as he did early which is good as the physicality could be his undoing.

I will admit that for me Dowell, Gibbs, Argos , Andy O and the obvious Sargent  (hell even Kenny turned up at LB) outshone Nunez, but he was a quite player in a busy evening to be fair.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Good to see you don't follow stereotypes 

So a couple of games in the Championship against arguably very average opposition and you’re raving the guy is already going to be better than Maddison who has proven himself in the EPL and was a game changer for us beforehand! …. and you make a comment that he’s no trouble when he’s only been here 5 minutes and you’ve no idea of his personality in reality!     He’s feisty it seems and you don’t get to be feisty without an attitude!    

As for Buendia, Nunez has a long way to go to reach Emi’s influence.    Lad was brilliant for us!   Better than Maddison, better than Wes!    Hopefully Nunez can reach their level!   

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Good to see you don't follow stereotypes 

He is South American and he is good... no better than good. With what I know coming out of Santiago he's the opposite of Arturo Vidal. Both from very poor backgrounds. Vidal = massive ego. Nuñez very humble. Vamos a ver. Let's hope his ascendancy marries with us. Chileno la Corazon. 🎵

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Emi was better for us than Maddison, and Nunez has a way to go to be compared to Emi! 

But yes, beautiful player. 

*edit - Hoolahan still My Fav.

This.

Hoolahan, Buendia, Maddison for me, in that order.

Too early to tell where Nunez is going to slot in that pecking order for me, but he looks an absolute steal so far.

Edited by Monty13