KeiranShikari

If losing the next 2 guaranteed 'Deano's' departure.....

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Can you tell us with your apparant inside knowledge what the processes were that bought Aaron Ramsey to the club?

Can you explain why you don't accept that the man who is responsible for making the final call on transfers is Stuart Webber?

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Can you explain why you don't accept that the man who is responsible for making the final call on transfers is Stuart Webber?

In most cases I would agree with you

...but I'm talking about this specific transfer involving a player that Smith himself personally knows from his previous club and also referenced 'thats why 'I' brought him here'?

23 minutes ago, 1902 said:

My point is that there's a division of responsibilities. Webber is the one who decides on transfers ultimately. It's been very clear from the beginning that he takes suggestions and balances them out. Having having a say is not the same as that being what we should judge him on.

Crap transfers are down to Webber. Smith shouldn't be judged for them. He should be judged on us looking toothless with a squad that should be scoring.

Ultimately it’s Webber’s responsibility but if Smith wanted specific players, as seems he did in these two cases, not sure why he’d be blameless. Far too early to tell what either will be like, Ramsey may have missed a sitter but he looked good and injected some of what we needed to our attacks, getting into goalscoring positions.

I don’t understand your counter argument, if Webber is primarily responsible for bringing in players how can he be blameless if said players are misfiring or seem not up to scratch?

Division of responsibility is just not this cleanly and clearly cut.

10 hours ago, horsefly said:

Such a simple word "no", yet you don't understand its meaning. Explains a lot.

Simple word for a simple Bill 👍

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Your Villa mate doesn't seem to represent the wider fanbase, according to their online forums and other social media, plus their local media.

And yet I bet not a single one of them would have him back, considering they were all so keen to get shot.

The Villa fans that like him do so because he's a Villa fan not because of his managerial ability, but you already know this Hoggy, you're not the simpleton HorseBill is who probably genuinely believes the horse**** he posts. 

4 hours ago, 1902 said:

Not to say anything on Smith's strengths or his weakness but It's hard to take a poster seriously when they don't understand that Smith is not the one primarily in charge of transfers.

We have had a Director of Football/Head Coach model for quite a few years now. Maybe time to read up on how that works.

Explain that to the many Smith fans who seem keen as mustard to wait until he's got "his own players" 

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/dean-smith-aston-villa-transfer-24704409

"I had just gone on a pre-season tour and I got back and then Dean (Smith) gave me a ring and said to me that he wants to take me on loan," Ramsey said. "As soon as I heard that I was like 'yeah I want to go to Norwich City.”

It took me like 30 seconds to find this on Google. Can you give it a rest now?

While the results haven't been good enough I see enough in the performances to suggest we'll start winning games soon so while I'm far from happy I'm not in the Smith out camp yet. 

My worry is who would we choose as a successor? I always though Webber kept a shortlist of managers and would have a man lined up ready from left field who suits the club but the shambles that occured after sacking Farke showed that isn't true and he just tried to wing it by laughably attempting to poach Hassenhutl before getting turned down by Lampard and then went an interviewed a manager he's previously turned down at Huddersfield. I also worry they'll be an element of fan appeasement in the appointment, after sacking Hughton the board interpreted the message as that the fans demand that we play passing football and every appointment has since reflected that, now the terms being thrown about are 'doesn't fit this club' or 'doesn't have a connection with the fans' so we'll probably go with an ex player who plays possesion football like Robins or Martin and for me I really don't want a Farke-lite style manager, we got rid of him for a reason as difficult as it was of a pill to swallow and a regression to a similar but worse manager would be a step backwards. 

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Here is my "original point":

"It's absurd to claim "Smith has shown absolutely no ability to improve a player during his tenure here". You don't have the slightest evidence to make such a claim. While he has been here we have seen Springett, Rowe, and Gibbs make impressive debuts, and Omobamidele establish himself as a first team player."

So, you are clearly lying that I said "young". Your desperate need to lie in order to distract from the stupidity of your claims is sadly all too obvious.

Secondly, Smith arrived at Villa shortly after Grealish's 23rd birthday.  Grealish would no doubt be indebted to you to learn that he is entirely mistaken to credit Smith with being a major influence on his footballing development  Clearly no footballer has developed their talents after reaching such an ancient age.

Bye, bye thicko! I really can't be bothered to indulge your idiocy any longer.

(BTW It really isn't a good look when you can't even manage to put a required apostrophe in your actual site name)

So I’m clearly lying by saying you said young, I suggest you re read your responses 😂 below is your response earlier, you are making yourself look like a right prat!👍

“Because you wrote a lot of crap regarding my response to the claim that Smith is incapable of developing YOUNG players. Grealish was precisely one of those YOUNG players who credit Smith with developing his talent. There are plenty more out there, and I have little doubt that those absurd claims would be refuted by Rowe, Springett, Gibbs, Omobamidele et al. Do pay attention.”

I also said players obviously can continue to improve but I’m not convinced you can actually read!! 🙈

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear thicko! You referred to my "original post" which I repeated in full and which didn't contain the word "young". You really are extraordinarily stupid. Subsequent posts did refer to young players precisely for the reason that Smith has a good record for developing young players which you denied. Among those players includes Grealish who had just turned 23 when Smith arrived at Villa. Are you really so thick that you can't grasp that 23 is considered a young age from which players can be expected to develop significantly? Just as Grealish did himself after Smith's arrival; in fact so much so that Villa earned £105m from his transfer to Man City. Jesus!

Honest question, I keep seeing this line about Smith being good at introducing and improving young players. Are there any examples other than Grealish? I think Grealish could be the anomaly and is just due to him being a highly skillful player.

I think people might say Rowe and Springett here, but last season there was loads of calls for Rowe in particular to start but it didnt really happen. I also think Gibbs would've (and should've) started on Saturday if Farke was still manager - Smith didnt have the guts to do that.

I'm not convinced by Smith even on this point.

On 14/08/2022 at 10:19, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He blazed the ball over the bar from 4 yds and an open goal

Ok he's young...but why are we even experimenting someone elses academy player in that position in the first place instead of someone who can actually put the ball in the net from that distance?

Just one of those freak miscues; I've seen that happen in the Premier League. 

Ramsey was doing exactly the right thing and simply fluffed the contact; it happens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Winning those 2 games will be such a negative long term. Absolute chancer.

Buh, you’ve logged into the wrong account mate

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2022 at 21:31, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In most cases I would agree with you

...but I'm talking about this specific transfer involving a player that Smith himself personally knows from his previous club and also referenced 'thats why 'I' brought him here'?

Fair enough. 

I don't agree about how we apportion responsibility but it's a justifiable take.