Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

**Dereham Town vs Norwich match thread**

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Even in pre season Rowe can't get a start. Now who was it on here again who said we would never see Hugill in a Norwich shirt ever again..? 🤔

FWmAhleXkAEAHZI?format=png&name=large

It was me who said we would never see Hugill in Yellow and Green again once he was shipped off to West Brom. I also said Soto would keep Pukki out of the team once he got his UK work permit, and he never even managed a game for us :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mullet said:

It was me who said we would never see Hugill in Yellow and Green again once he was shipped off to West Brom. I also said Soto would keep Pukki out of the team once he got his UK work permit, and he never even managed a game for us 🙂

I like your integrity Mullet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dowell slots in a penalty to make it 4. 45 minutes of match action in the legs for 22 of the lads, so can't moan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Dowell slots in a penalty to make it 4. 45 minutes of match action in the legs for 22 of the lads, so can't moan.

Funnily enough he took and scored a pen in the recent training video

18 minutes ago, Mullet said:

It was me who said we would never see Hugill in Yellow and Green again once he was shipped off to West Brom. I also said Soto would keep Pukki out of the team once he got his UK work permit, and he never even managed a game for us 🙂

Jaysus, if everyone on here was that honest, there'd not be much to argue about 😇

• Haha 3

I think without seeing it myself it seems like they avoided underwhelming us too much with that result. It’s going to be hard to judge with 11 changes and no pressing, but seemingly we missed a load of chances that could’ve been a little more comprehensive 

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think without seeing it myself it seems like they avoided underwhelming us too much with that result. It’s going to be hard to judge with 11 changes and no pressing, but seemingly we missed a load of chances that could’ve been a little more comprehensive 

Plus we did play quite a few youth players and players that have not played a match in months.

28 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Fair play. Most of my predictions end up wrong anyways so join the club

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Plus we did play quite a few youth players and players that have not played a match in months.

Yeah, they get a ‘meh’ from me tonight. It really doesn’t tell us anything much 

44 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

To expect anything else would’ve been ridiculous. These lads are in the gym constantly so you’d expect a fair bit of conditioning in their favour 

Also the Dereham Players have been at work most / some of the day ! 

• Like 1

Just now, norfolkngood said:

Also the Dereham Players have been at work most / some of the day ! 

Surely they’d get the day off for it? 

It's a win, it's a clean sheet, a few youngsters got some first-team game action, and the lads got a nice fitness top-up out of it. It doesn't mean that HMS Pith The League (as Chrith Eubank would thay) is in the harbour, but it's about as good as it gets from an opening pre-season fixture.

• Like 4

I’m interested in how we were at set pieces. I’d expect that the attacking ones were more on show than defending. Again, probably pointless as the standard of defending against whatever we used wouldn’t be representative I guess 

First pre-season, a few goals, as someone said 45 minutes for 22 players, no injuries we're aware of, seems like Dereham got a decent gate. Looks ok to me.

No I’ve been at work since 5am no problem 

• Haha 1

Ultimately, it was what it was, the first outing of preseason and minutes in the legs. I needed to shoot off with about ten minutes left, but the second half performance seemed slightly more fluent than the first, but then again, it was against tired legs.

Hugill obviously scored twice, he hit the bar and had one disallowed. Clarke showed some nice touches in the second half and Earley actually looked OK at left back. The game started to get feisty just before I left with a few tackles going in from both sides, but mainly Dereham.

Highlight of the night was Cantwell taking a cushioned volley from Hugill in the nether regions from point blank range. That drew a few laughs.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m interested in how we were at set pieces. I’d expect that the attacking ones were more on show than defending. Again, probably pointless as the standard of defending against whatever we used wouldn’t be representative I guess 

A couple didn't beat the first man, but the ones that did caused havoc, particularly with Hugill about. Sorensen bundled a corner home in the second half but it was disallowed for offside.

• Thanks 1

Just my opinion, but I reckon we will see similar number of experiments for Regrnsburg and Kings Lynn games with a bit more consistent squad choice vs Marseille, Cambridge, Celtic with the Hibs game used for the likely bench/squad players so first teamers get a bit more rest before game 1

12 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

i doubt it , why would they ? they do not take a whole day off when playing in the league

they are in the North div this season

that's why a lot of their players left 

they will be using a lot of holiday up in season for away trips on night games

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

i doubt it , why would they ? they do not take a whole day off when playing in the league

they are in the North div this season

that's why a lot of their players left 

they will be using a lot of holiday up in season for away trips on night games

You’re probably right tbf. There’s me thinking that playing Norwich, even for preseason friendly, might be seen by employers as a bit of a one off type of situation and give their employees a bit of a favour. I think I’m overdoing the significance of Norwich there 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

You’re probably right tbf. There’s me thinking that playing Norwich, even for preseason friendly, might be seen by employers as a bit of a one off type of situation and give their employees a bit of a favour. I think I’m overdoing the significance of Norwich there 😂

also you have to remember for the self employed they would not earn as much playing as they do working 

Just got home having sneaked out early. I didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed. Cantwell looked good for 15 minutes then faded. Hugill looked like he was playing at around the right level. 

The only real worry was that Gunn virtually threw one in and got a free kick for no good reason whatsoever. 

My other winge is Gibson slagging off the lad at left back in the first 10 minutes. It was just plain rude. I don't mind some constructive advice but that was unacceptable. 

• Like 1

Just watching Connor Southwell's live post-match verdict on Twitter and he's being attacked by various insects.

Must be the red hair!

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just got home having sneaked out early. I didn't expect much and wasn't disappointed. Cantwell looked good for 15 minutes then faded. Hugill looked like he was playing at around the right level. 

The only real worry was that Gunn virtually threw one in and got a free kick for no good reason whatsoever. 

My other winge is Gibson slagging off the lad at left back in the first 10 minutes. It was just plain rude. I don't mind some constructive advice but that was unacceptable. 

Gibson slagging off a team mate ? / youth player ? or dereham player 

Pinkun geniuses out in force here. 

It was Dereham. Dereham. 

Like racing a bugatti against a Polo. 

There was not one single footballing conclusion to be drawn, nor one single point to be made about any performance at all. 

Its a pre season, money spinning for local club leg up. 

Pathetic nonsense. 

Edited by fredherring