cambridgeshire canary

What team would you start V Dereham?

Get the younguns in, it’s Dereham ffs. Toppled by the mighty Mulbarton no less so our U23s should be able to handle them 

17 hours ago, Yobocop said:

A good option from the bench as shown many a time last championship season 

A few times? Not really "many."

We should have quite a few 'good' options from the bench for this season, Hugill is one for sure, but does what he offers justify his contribution to the wages bill? A squad place?

If we really need a player to upset defences or get on the end of crosses then a younger, cheaper and possibly more skilled player than Hugill needs to be the order of the day, imo.

The Sarge could actually be seen as that player, he costs and is younger and in many ways makes Hugill redundant.

We seem to be stuck with a few 'not quite up to it' players like JH because other clubs cannot match the wages we pay them.

We aspire to be better than Jordan Hugill. Sell him to ITFC for a pound or two.

Edited by BroadstairsR

40 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A few times? Not really "many."

We should have quite a few 'good' options from the bench for this season, Hugill is one for sure, but does what he offers justify his contribution to the wages bill? A squad place?

If we really need a player to upset defences or get on the end of crosses then a younger, cheaper and possibly more skilled player than Hugill needs to be the order of the day, imo.

The Sarge could actually be seen as that player, he costs and is younger and in many ways makes Hugill redundant.

We seem to be stuck with a few 'not quite up to it' players like JH because other clubs cannot match the wages we pay them.

We aspire to be better than Jordan Hugill. Sell him to ITFC for a pound or two.

Hugill could look better if we're playing with more traditional wingers. Considering he came off the bench for ten-minute cameos in a fair proportion of games just to ease the load on Pukki he clearly did that well, but he was playing up top in a team built to feed throughballs to Pukki, a striker who likes running the channels and going off the shoulder.

Hugill's a target man. He'll chase things, sure. But his strengths are in the air and in his physical strength. Gear a team up to send in a load of high crosses, and that's when he comes alive. I thought he did OK in a team that wasn't remotely built that way. If Rashica, Rowe, Springett, and Placheta are getting much more game time this season, he should be more dangerous.

I imagine it'll be very few first teamers and mainly fringe players/U23s. Still, a good evenings entertainment for £10

17 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd think Cantwell should get on - his home town after all. 

Plus he'll end up playing for Dereham in a few years anyway, so he can treat it like a trial.

Still struggling to deal with pre-season starting already.  This period of downtime normally seems to last an eternity... The spurs defeat feels so fresh in my mind.

Anyone else worry that our squad haven't had a long enough break to get themselves mentally prepared, or am I just over-thinking things?  For longer term players last few seasons have been a real slog, esp for the likes of Pukki, Hanley, and those in proper competitive internationals/euros.

18 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Still struggling to deal with pre-season starting already.  This period of downtime normally seems to last an eternity... The spurs defeat feels so fresh in my mind.

Anyone else worry that our squad haven't had a long enough break to get themselves mentally prepared, or am I just over-thinking things?  For longer term players last few seasons have been a real slog, esp for the likes of Pukki, Hanley, and those in proper competitive internationals/euros.

Not worrying me as I don't think they are actively back yet. That's why we've crammed in a busy last minute pre season period.

I think playing the likes of Dereham are intended to get us straight back to winning ways and wipe clean the dreadful end of last season. Dereham really should be a complete walk over and they’re not there to get us up to speed if we are being honest, so getting a big score will be a nice antidote to the spurs game psychologically 

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think playing the likes of Dereham are intended to get us straight back to winning ways and wipe clean the dreadful end of last season. Dereham really should be a complete walk over and they’re not there to get us up to speed if we are being honest, so getting a big score will be a nice antidote to the spurs game psychologically 

A f*cking men to that Sweary.

• Thanks 1

On 29/06/2022 at 00:37, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean would probably switch it up at half time, but if it were me.. But what team would you go with?

team.png

Does this assume Cantwell has resumed training?

On 29/06/2022 at 08:49, BroadstairsR said:

I shudder whenever I see the name Hugill in a City line-up .... even for a friendly.

Great bloke ... apparently. League 1 footballer ... obviously. 

There was so much discussion about this player two seasons ago that any further would amount to repetition.

Suffice to say that so many questioned his suitability even for that very strong Championship unit and when a variation of attack was needed... so what's changed?

Got a brace tonight 

On 30/06/2022 at 08:14, TheGunnShow said:

Hugill could look better if we're playing with more traditional wingers. Considering he came off the bench for ten-minute cameos in a fair proportion of games just to ease the load on Pukki he clearly did that well, but he was playing up top in a team built to feed throughballs to Pukki, a striker who likes running the channels and going off the shoulder.

Hugill's a target man. He'll chase things, sure. But his strengths are in the air and in his physical strength. Gear a team up to send in a load of high crosses, and that's when he comes alive. I thought he did OK in a team that wasn't remotely built that way. If Rashica, Rowe, Springett, and Placheta are getting much more game time this season, he should be more dangerous.

Agree with this, worthy of a place in the squad and if he can find his form for Preston we’ll be onto a winner winner chicken dinner 

8 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Got a brace tonight 

We'll see.

Nothing against the player, except that he's just not good enough for a squad aspiring to be promotion contenders in the Championship. Ask fans of WBA, in fact ask the many City fans who came to that conclusion during/after his first season at Carrow Road. I believe he did a bit better at Cardiff, but insufficiently so to be retained there.

He was, after all,  rapidly shipped out at the first whiff of Premier League football by Farke because he was blatantly and massively below that level. Ask West Ham fans for confirmation of that. 

What I always say about Jordan H. is that he does exactly what it says on the tin, but that that label doesn't really say enough. I believe that Josh Sargent offers much more if we are into that kind of player. Perhaps not quite aerially, but he offers a much higher work-rate, a greater energy and nuisance value and, even he, has more technique where it matters than JH. 

We cannot have too many of these limited individuals on the wages bill, after all.

I cannot understand this sudden Jordan Hugill love in by some fans, even to the extent of needing to proffer two taps ins against Dereham Town in support of the player (sorry.) It must be a matter of absence makes the heart grow fonder, because it cannot be connected with his football.

Edited by BroadstairsR

True and I think Jo's conversion rate last night was fairly poor - didn't he miss 3 gilt-edged chances? 😉

Agree, Hugill is still at best a late desperate addition to chuck long balls and crosses to if we are in dire need of a winner/equaliser. Two goals vs Dereham means literally nothing other than he can operate well at whatever tier they’re in with vastly superior service from midfield. 

Edited by SwearyCanary