cambridgeshire canary

How many points do you think we can get from our first four?

You do realise one of those shown is a cup game?!

I reckon we will hope for 10-12 from the first 5 league games, but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t immediately start winning. Some of our best seasons have had an iffy start.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm going to hope for.. 11? 🤔

matche.png

You can hope all you like, but it's mathematically impossible to get 11 points out of four League games 😉

Cardiff away is tough and I can see us losing that one. Cardiff have been the most active Championship side in the transfer market so far and will have a relatively well-prepared side, plus they'll be up for the first home game of the season against a relegated side who they'll see as a bit of a scalp. And if they sign Bale...

The rest of the first five aren't too bad on paper so I'd be disappointed with less than three wins from the other four.

I'd hope for double figures, but think 8 is more likely. Can see us losing one of the away ones, sneak a couple of hard-fought wins and a couple of draws.

From those 4 league games should be looking for min 7. I’d say 8-9 would be great.

Early in the season I’d forgive us still finding our feet as long as results are decent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You can hope all you like, but it's mathematically impossible to get 11 points out of four League games 😉

Cardiff away is tough and I can see us losing that one. Cardiff have been the most active Championship side in the transfer market so far and will have a relatively well-prepared side, plus they'll be up for the first home game of the season against a relegated side who they'll see as a bit of a scalp. And if they sign Bale...

The rest of the first five aren't too bad on paper so I'd be disappointed with less than three wins from the other four.

Equally if they’ve been busy switching up their side won’t it take longer for them to gel? 

Overall I’m more concerned about the mindset of our side given the fragile nature of falling out of the Prem in the manner we did. 

A few wins under the table will do wonders for the confidence 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Equally if they’ve been busy switching up their side won’t it take longer for them to gel? 

Overall I’m more concerned about the mindset of our side given the fragile nature of falling out of the Prem in the manner we did. 

A few wins under the table will do wonders for the confidence 

Most sides will lose a lot of players over the close season, but the ones who get the replacements in early will have a slight head start on preparation.

I agree about the mindset though. I think that was one of our biggest problems last season, and I've said before on this forum that as soon as we saw the fixture list last season, our heads just dropped when we saw the opening games and once we lost them, we were right back to July 2020 from a mental perspective. 

Last time out, we overcame this in the Championship. Three or four wins in the first five and we should be fine, but if we get two or less then we could get stuck in a rut.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You've been very negative about the upcoming season. Think I might start calling you reverse Lakey

In particular w / Dean Smith. 

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

10 is reasonable from that... The draw being on opening day at Cardiff 

Do we ever win the first game of the season?! I think we beat Blackburn 4-1 about 7 seasons ago, was that the last?

• Like 1

Need an average of 2 points per game for auto promotion. 8 pts minimum including 2 home wins. I think we'll achieve that comfortably.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Do we ever win the first game of the season?! I think we beat Blackburn 4-1 about 7 seasons ago, was that the last?

We beat Huddersfield 1-0 on the opening game of the season in 2019/2020. 

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You've been very negative about the upcoming season. Think I might start calling you reverse Lakey

well lets see what happens then bedroom boy.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are you getting excited CC or is it pishing down where you are?

Rain and sunshine here. Listening to the cricket.

🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Time will tell.

Don’t flip flop now, you’ve made it this far! Death or glory! 

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ah yes, of course - Idah.  These things are rare though

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are you getting excited CC or is it pishing down where you are?

Rain and sunshine here. Listening to the cricket.

All gone grey and cloudy here. Must be a metaphor

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Talking about Huddersfield.. Let's hope for a repeat of this shall we? And this was all during the pouring snow and rain!

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Don’t flip flop now, you’ve made it this far! Death or glory! 

I will bask in my glory.🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Without looking at the stats, our opening day record is pretty awful. Something like three or four wins in the last 20 years.

Actually, it's even worse than that. Two in the last 20, four in the last 26

Since 1996, our only opening day wins were against Crewe (1998), Grimsby (2002), Blackburn (2016) and Huddersfield (2020).

29 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Actually, it's even worse than that. Two in the last 20, four in the last 26

Since 1996, our only opening day wins were against Crewe (1998), Grimsby (2002), Blackburn (2016) and Huddersfield (2020).

So in the last 6 years, it's 2 from 6. But 2 from 4 at Championship level.

If you go a little deeper than that, our 4 last championship campaigns have started with 4 away games, 2 wins & 2 draws. Webber in?

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Talking about Huddersfield.. Let's hope for a repeat of this shall we? And this was all during the pouring snow and rain!

Snow pouring?