cambridgeshire canary

Royal family favourability ratings are in

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

1. I'm not British. I'm very much European. 

2. There maybe a few people watching this stuff in France (which I somehow doubt) but most people here are doing something else. 

3. We have absolutely nothing to lose from ditching the Monarchy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. The monarchy does little or nothing for the UK. If we got rid of them we would make a fortune, much like the French have done with the Palace of Versailles. 

4. I'm sure Royals in other parts of the world have been naughty. But have any of them raped a teenager? I think you underestimate the level of disgust that exists here for Prince Andrew and for the mother who chose to support him. 

Dylan. Wheras I agree with much you say about the Royals, Andrew has not been charged with, or found guilty of the crime you accuse him off. The settlement was not an admission of anything.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

2. There maybe a few people watching this stuff in France (which I somehow doubt) but most people here are doing something else. 

3. We have absolutely nothing to lose from ditching the Monarchy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. The monarchy does little or nothing for the UK. If we got rid of them we would make a fortune, much like the French have done with the Palace of Versailles. 

4. I'm sure Royals in other parts of the world have been naughty. But have any of them raped a teenager? I think you underestimate the level of disgust that exists here for Prince Andrew and for the mother who chose to support him. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-royal-familys-brand-is-worth-675-billion-2017-11?r=US&IR=T 

64.5 billion pounds is the estimated brand value of the royal family to the UK according to brand analysts, in contrast to your own bullish but unsupported assessment.

As for Prince Andrew, I agree he's an embarrassment, but then I'm sure if you had a dubious character in your family you'd feel a bit hard done to if all of the rest of you were tarred by their alleged actions.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Loads of oversized blue and red butchers aprons outside my street lately, never thought I’d see so many in one day let alone week.

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

She's not a 'failed actress', she was in a hit TV series.

Rubbish show though and her only ever hit the way things are going.

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

… and paid off his accuser.

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

This exactly why a monarchy is wrong. 

A failed actress has caused ructions and divided opinion. And the Queen, old school of course, has to sit and absorb all the tosh surrounding the look at me spare Royals.

Quite rightly Johnson is getting flak for being useless and we can get rid of him. But we cannot get rid of these privileged fools.

Make me want to move to Ireland with the better half. Monarchy’s are usually expensive countries to live and visit with us joining them the way it’s going. 12 quid for a pint in Norway was robbery.

The day Johnson goes, I’ll be celebrating, forget this “Better the devil you know” tripe, I’m sick of that phrase.

”Suits”, what a pile of tripe, awful acting, storylines and scriptwriting.

The way the Royal Anthem has entered football terraces is just cringe. Singing the awful thing with such gusto and near crying tears, just WHY!?.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Make me want to move to Ireland with the better half. Monarchy’s are usually expensive countries to live and visit with us joining them the way it’s going. 12 quid for a pint in Norway was robbery.

The day Johnson goes, I’ll be celebrating, forget this “Better the devil you know” tripe, I’m sick of that phrase.

”Suits”, what a pile of tripe, awful acting, storylines and scriptwriting.

The way the Royal Anthem has entered football terraces is just cringe. Singing the awful thing with such gusto and near crying tears, just WHY!?.

There's a lot that gets on your nerves.😂

Suits was ok for the first couple of seasons but then the Meghan storyline dragged it into soap territory so I stopped watching.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you're not British then you have no say in the matter and should keep your opinions of our monarchy to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

If you're not British then you have no say in the matter and should keep your opinions of our monarchy to yourself.

So, can we take it that you have never expressed an opinion on anything non-British? You might like to refresh your memory about your previous posts before suggesting a block on the freedom of speech of other posters.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

What is British about our Monarchy?

Would definitely be watching if this was real. Instead we’ve got those has-beens from Birmingham.

C4CBFD76-7404-4C19-8D8E-B574E7BF2DC5.jpeg

Edited by KernowCanary

5 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Would definitely be watching if this was real. Instead we’ve got those has-beens from Birmingham.

C4CBFD76-7404-4C19-8D8E-B574E7BF2DC5.jpeg

The sex pistols documentary is on Disney plus and John Lydon was on this morning plugging it

all your heroes are dead and sold out

Edited by The Real Buh

Bottom line is that, in pragmatic terms, the monarchy is irrefutably a net positive asset for the UK. 

• Net contribution in direct economic terms (crown estate generates more revenue than the cost of the civil list and royal security).
  • Positive impact on wider branding (it's a living link into British constitutional history and evolution)
  • Positive diplomatic impact (net positive perception of royal family globally)
  • Global attention to the UK generated by major royal events
  • Net positive favourability numbers for most major royals and the institution as a whole domestically. 

An obvious negative consequence of abolishing the monarchy is that, if it's to be peaceful, constitutional, and legal, the Crown Estate would almost certainly have to be handed back to the Windsors, given that it was voluntarily put into trust to the state by mutual agreement in exchange for the payment of the civil list. This would result in a tangible net loss to the British treasury. The only way of bypassing that would be to go down the French guillotine route, which would probably run foul of human rights obligations.

There's only one argument in favour of abolishing the Royal Family: The ideological objection to even having a symbolic or ceremonial Head of State who is unelected. Given the monarchy could be removed peacefully and legally and the monarchy enjoys more support than either Boris Johnson, Keir Starmer, or any other elected politician I can think of, then obsessing over this point of principle against all of the positives while the vast majority of the population support them strikes me as weirdly obsessive. 

Constitutional reforms like proportional representation in the commons would be of far more tangible value to improving politics in the UK; it's a shame that advocates of electoral reform gets far less attention than anti-monarchy headbangers do. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The sex pistols documentary is on Disney plus and John Lydon was on this morning plugging it

all your heroes are dead and sold out

RIP John Lydon, Steve Jones, Paul Cook and Glen Matlock taken too soon. 😀

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

I hope all heathen republicans enjoyed their days off courtesy of the royal family 🤣

image.jpeg.061c03cea3705cd18a2f3b0b2b1bcda0.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

image.jpeg.061c03cea3705cd18a2f3b0b2b1bcda0.jpeg

They look like they’ve just come out of one of your political heroes gulags

I very much suspect most if us aren't too bothered about the Royals or the jubilee at all. I myself find it about of a fawning sycophancy by those that do - also a bit of a dated anachronism.

Of course I like the 2 bank holidays.

All said, its rather like Christmas  - an excuse for a party. How many of you are actually practicing Christians? Even other faiths can recognize a good time when they see it and join in.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I very much suspect most if us aren't too bothered about the Royals or the jubilee at all. I myself find it about of a fawning sycophancy by those that do - also a bit of a dated anachronism.

Of course I like the 2 bank holidays.

All said, its rather like Christmas  - an excuse for a party. How many of you are actually practicing Christians? Even other faiths can recognize a good time when they see it and join in.

It’s not so much that I’m pro monarchy it’s more than I’m anti the dictator for life “elected” head of state those on here would like. Another “madam” to crack the whip and tell them they are good party members. Watching the blind adherence to the party line and lack of independent thought on here is reminiscent of the Chernobyl drama. I mean, look at Herman. Literally no point In discussion with him whatsoever. No nuance or other angles to explore with him. There’s not a single issue or point o could raise that I don’t already know his absolute opinion on. As basic as it gets, nothing going on behind those beady little eyes. It actually saddens me that people can be like that. So one track on their thought processes. These one track minded people are the ones that allow dictators to pursue travesties all the while waving the flag. Transparent human husks that alienate all those around them and add nothing. I just find it strange

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Bottom line is that, in pragmatic terms, the monarchy is irrefutably a net positive asset for the UK. 

• Net contribution in direct economic terms (crown estate generates more revenue than the cost of the civil list and royal security).
  • Positive impact on wider branding (it's a living link into British constitutional history and evolution)
  • Positive diplomatic impact (net positive perception of royal family globally)
  • Global attention to the UK generated by major royal events
  • Net positive favourability numbers for most major royals and the institution as a whole domestically. 

An obvious negative consequence of abolishing the monarchy is that, if it's to be peaceful, constitutional, and legal, the Crown Estate would almost certainly have to be handed back to the Windsors, given that it was voluntarily put into trust to the state by mutual agreement in exchange for the payment of the civil list. This would result in a tangible net loss to the British treasury. The only way of bypassing that would be to go down the French guillotine route, which would probably run foul of human rights obligations.

There's only one argument in favour of abolishing the Royal Family: The ideological objection to even having a symbolic or ceremonial Head of State who is unelected. Given the monarchy could be removed peacefully and legally and the monarchy enjoys more support than either Boris Johnson, Keir Starmer, or any other elected politician I can think of, then obsessing over this point of principle against all of the positives while the vast majority of the population support them strikes me as weirdly obsessive. 

Constitutional reforms like proportional representation in the commons would be of far more tangible value to improving politics in the UK; it's a shame that advocates of electoral reform gets far less attention than anti-monarchy headbangers do. 

The Crown Estate exists by an act of Parliament. So would not be handed back to the Royals. They do not own it and instead have the Civil list.

24 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s not so much that I’m pro monarchy it’s more than I’m anti the dictator for life “elected” head of state those on here would like. Another “madam” to crack the whip and tell them they are good party members. Watching the blind adherence to the party line and lack of independent thought on here is reminiscent of the Chernobyl drama. I mean, look at Herman. Literally no point In discussion with him whatsoever. No nuance or other angles to explore with him. There’s not a single issue or point o could raise that I don’t already know his absolute opinion on. As basic as it gets, nothing going on behind those beady little eyes. It actually saddens me that people can be like that. So one track on their thought processes. These one track minded people are the ones that allow dictators to pursue travesties all the while waving the flag. Transparent human husks that alienate all those around them and add nothing. I just find it strange

We are so fortunate that there are so many independent thinkers like you, at least I think we are.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

We are so fortunate that there are so many independent thinkers like you, at least I think we are.

Exactly! It’s nice to see some nuance rather than a tidal wave of basic bîtçhes

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Exactly! It’s nice to see some nuance rather than a tidal wave of basic bîtçhes

I thought of that all by myself, independently.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I thought of that all by myself, independently.

I think you probably checked with the guardian just to make sure though, yeah?

Nobody wants an elected politically motivated President such as USA. We have a perfectly adequate (normally) parliamentary system for that. 

We need an apolitical  'defender of the constitution' such as Germany, Israel or Eire that has, if needed, teeth.

Can anybody quickly name the current President of these countries? Guess it works then.

If you want a relatively recent example of how (British) Monarchs can go awry - look no further than George VI and his N a z i associations.  I'm not talking Mrs Simpson either (she probably fortuitously saved us from George VI as King) as I'm not sure how the UK would of stood in '39.

Start here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/12/30/fact-checking-the-crown-did-the-duke-of-windsor-plot-with-hitler-to-betray-britain/ 

38 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

If you want a relatively recent example of how (British) Monarchs can go awry - look no further than George VI and his N a z i associations.  I'm not talking Mrs Simpson either (she probably fortuitously saved us from George VI as King) as I'm not sure how the UK would of stood in '39.

Do you mean Edward VIII?

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Haha 1

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Now there was an independent thinker.

Nah, I checked on Wikipedia, then phoned the Morning Star for permission to publish 😛

• Like 1