Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Liverpool fans again

6 minutes ago, Renskay said:

Essentially the Stade de France is located in one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods of Paris, 'Saint-Denis', so it was little wonder that there would be problems for the organisation as well as for fan safety. 

Screenshot_20220530-140923_Chrome.jpg

What does this have to do with fans with fake tickets and the problems at turnstiles?

25 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Well as someone who has been spat at in my face, mugged, chased and shoved down some stairs I would disagree. I was denied application for a pub job because they 'only hire scousers'. I regularly got served last because I wasn't a local. We gave up going out on Saturday because it wasn't worth the feel of brooding violence we encountered. I have to say i've seen some truly awful things occur on nights out. 

My experience of Liverpool, although many years ago now, matches Mr Angry’s, not yours. My son went to uni there about 10 years ago, and he (and his girlfriend) would move back to live if the opportunity was there. Maybe the problem was you, not them? 😘

1 minute ago, Renskay said:

Because Saint Denis is a neighbourhood where people of mainly African origin live.

It's also a neighbourhood where almost every tourist site will tell you never to visit because it's too dangerous  

What is the point he is making then about people of African origin?

Just now, hertfordyellow said:

What does this have to do with fans with fake tickets and the problems at turnstiles?

Fans were being mugged going in and out of the stadium. 

Just now, hertfordyellow said:

What is the point he is making then about people of African origin?

Ask yourself.

2 minutes ago, Renskay said:

Because Saint Denis is a neighbourhood where people of mainly African origin live.

It's also a neighbourhood where almost every tourist site will tell you never to visit because it's too dangerous  

Sounds like Liverpool, they should have felt at home

Just now, Nuff Said said:

My experience of Liverpool, although many years ago now, matches Mr Angry’s, not yours. My son went to uni there about 10 years ago, and he (and his girlfriend) would move back to live if the opportunity was there. Maybe the problem was you, not them? 😘

Let me get this straight, you don't agree with me, therefore I must have warranted being 'spat in the face'? This says a lot about you and your mindset.

5 minutes ago, Renskay said:

Fans were being mugged going in and out of the stadium. 

And what does that have to do with the Liverpool turnstile situation?

11 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Well as someone who has been spat at in my face, mugged, chased and shoved down some stairs I would disagree. I was denied application for a pub job because they 'only hire scousers'. I regularly got served last because I wasn't a local. We gave up going out on Saturday because it wasn't worth the feel of brooding violence we encountered. I have to say i've seen some truly awful things occur on nights out. 

When was this? I started going out in Liverpool about 20 years ago and I moved up here 4 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

When was this? I started going out in Liverpool about 20 years ago and I moved up here 4 years ago.

We are talking 18 years ago when I was a student.

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

How does he know they are locals?

Probably the fact they were speaking French tipped him off.

Edited by Renskay

Oh this is going well.

On one hand we've got 'I don't like Liverpool fans so it must all be their fault.'

On the other we've now got 'I don't like African's so it must be their fault.'

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh this is going well.

On one hand we've got 'I don't like Liverpool fans so it must all be their fault.'

A lot of this thread is disgraceful, frankly. An embarrassment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Oh this is going well.

There are quite a few people who have concluded that the organisation was poor, police were robust and unhelpful but... the fact that so many fans turned up without tickets contributed to this and that French intelligence had alerted them to the fact there were fake tickets and attempts to jump the barriers being planned, which led to the Police approach.

I don't like Liverpool, or its fans, but I fully agree that genuine ticket holders were treated badly on Saturday without doing much if anything to deserve it. What I have a problem with is this inability by a number of people to see that consequences have actions and that other Liverpool fans contributed to the problem other Liverpool fans encountered. Thats all. I've never suggested that it was all their fault. Actually very few people have.

As for the African comment, Renskay still needs to answer his provocative comment.

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

I can't use that link for some reason.

And you haven't seen any tweets from fans bragging about fake tickets?

Yeah there are plenty of videos of people bragging about getting in with fake tickets.

Edited by Renskay

41 minutes ago, Renskay said:

Essentially the Stade de France is located in one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods of Paris, 'Saint-Denis', so it was little wonder that there would be problems for the organisation as well as for fan safety. 

When they were awarded the final after it being stripped from Russia, Thierry Henry was quick to point out it wasn't changed to Paris but Saint Dennis due to the fact that its a hell hole. 

Strip the French of the Olympics if they can't host these events 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Oh this is going well.

Here's Thierry Henry saying for fans to be careful because the final will be held in Saint-Denis (notoriously dangerous suburb)

Edited by Renskay

36 minutes ago, Renskay said:

I can well imagine how the local youths had a field day. I went to Brussels following England at Euro 2000 for what i think probably remains a record breaking weekend for arrests at a football match (England v Germany). Everyone will be familiar with the 5 minutes of chair throwing in Charleroi which always gets shown on the news but the truth is that lasted about 5 minutes and was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Brussels was a different kettle of fish, as is Marseille when England play there in major tournaments - give it a wide berth! If you wander about by yourself or in small groups then you get picked of by the locals, if you joined other groups of England fans in pubs or bars then sooner or later the police would turn up and tear gas the place and randomly arrest groups of people. But the most terrifying moment (which is why I draw the analogy with the gangs in St Dennis) was having returned from Charleroi as the police made all of the England fans get off at the Brussels South station and walk back to their hotels from there. This basically involved walking through what i subsequently was told is a very dodgy quarter of Brussels as most of us were staying in the city centre., As soon as we are a few hundred yards out of the station, all the polkice completely disappeared and youths began emerging from every side road flashing knives and calling us every name under the sun. Then at a cross roads all hell broke loose when hundreds of them came rushing in and ambushed us. The most hairy moment i've had watching football I have to say.

All you heard after that weekend wa about England fans causing trouble and its true to say that we have our nutters when travelling abroad and England fans sometimes do themsleves no favours. But a lot of the time its the English fans who are the ones being attacked an in some places its not by rival fans but usually by the local gangs of youths who wait til it gets dark then pick you off. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Because it has been suggested that local youths were amongst those jumping the fences/sneaking in for free and also that Liverpool and Madrid fans were getting mugged/pick pocketed by locals with little or no police action. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I can well imagine how the local youths had a field day. I went to Brussels following England at Euro 2000 for what i think probably remains a record breaking weekend for arrests at a football match (England v Germany). Everyone will be familiar with the 5 minutes of chair throwing in Charleroi which always gets shown on the news but the truth is that lasted about 5 minutes and was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Brussels was a different kettle of fish, as is Marseille when England play there in major tournaments - give it a wide berth! If you wander about by yourself or in small groups then you get picked of by the locals, if you joined other groups of England fans in pubs or bars then sooner or later the police would turn up and tear gas the place and randomly arrest groups of people. But the most terrifying moment (which is why I draw the analogy with the gangs in St Dennis) was having returned from Charleroi as the police made all of the England fans get off at the Brussels South station and walk back to their hotels from there. This basically involved walking through what i subsequently was told is a very dodgy quarter of Brussels as most of us were staying in the city centre., As soon as we are a few hundred yards out of the station, all the polkice completely disappeared and youths began emerging from every side road flashing knives and calling us every name under the sun. Then at a cross roads all hell broke loose when hundreds of them came rushing in and ambushed us. The most hairy moment i've had watching football I have to say.

All you heard after that weekend wa about England fans causing trouble and its true to say that we have our nutters when travelling abroad and England fans sometimes do themsleves no favours. But a lot of the time its the English fans who are the ones being attacked an in some places its not by rival fans but usually by the local gangs of youths who wait til it gets dark then pick you off. 

A similar thing happened with this the buses letting people out roughly 3km from the stadium and them having to walk through the Saint-Denis suburb to the stadium.

As you said I imagine the local youths had a field day.

2 minutes ago, Renskay said:

A similar thing happened with this the buses letting people out roughly 3km from the stadium and them having to walk through the Saint-Denis suburb to the stadium.

As you said I imagine the local youths had a field day.

Added to the fact the Madrid fan park was at the ground, Liverpools was 6 miles away. The main French paper is claiming the fake ticket issue was local gangs. 

Beggars belief there was no checkpoints further away as is the norm in major events. French now claiming 3 months wasn't enough time to organise it properly, shambles. 

33 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

We are talking 18 years ago when I was a student.

So either you were very unlucky or I was very lucky-or it has changed since you were there.

12 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

So either you were very unlucky or I was very lucky-or it has changed since you were there.

Maybe you are right. It was a very run down city when I arrived, it has had substantial investment since. I would say this, I have seen a woman punched by a man on two different occasions and both were in Liverpool city centre. Horrible. This wasn't just my experience, some have suggested it was somehow my fault that I had a bad experience but I witnessed some pretty bad things happening to others. As I said, collectively as a group, we didn't go out on Saturdays because we felt unwelcome. Maybe I was unlucky I don't know.

21 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Added to the fact the Madrid fan park was at the ground, Liverpools was 6 miles away. The main French paper is claiming the fake ticket issue was local gangs. 

Beggars belief there was no checkpoints further away as is the norm in major events. French now claiming 3 months wasn't enough time to organise it properly, shambles. 

As in fake tickets were sold to Liverpool fans by local gangs, or local gangs trying to get in with fake tickets?

14 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I was a student there 20 years ago. I don't think friendly is a term that can be used. Liverpool is an incredibly tight knit place and scousers are generally distrustful of outsiders. Get through that and you can make friends, however. I was randomly attacked whilst walking home in the city centre one night but apart from that managed to steer clear of trouble despite living in Kensington. Places with social deprivation are more violent and have more crime. Anyone criticising Liverpool for Hillsborough needs to watch the documentary from a few years back.

• Like 1