Sign in to follow this  
jaberry2

OT Dereham

10 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wow.

You're right, it's ridiculous. Dereham and Fakenham must have been cooking up this story for years, they just needed the credibility of Erpingham house to join their conspiracy and boom, there it is. A story to rival the great literary visionaries. A famous man visits restaurant. He also goes shopping. Then he goes and eats food again! The audacity of these separate establishments, trying to pull the wool over our eyes. They probably think we believed the local papers that told us Stephen Fry got married in Dereham... ha ha, as if!

No one who has any ounce of credibility in the entertainment industry would come to these backward towns. That they've clearly fabricated it all and also got actors to claim Travolta 'signed a pack of sausage rolls' is laughable. The photo from inside The Romany Rye? You can see the green screen people!

Well done for fooling me for a moment, but not now. I've seen the light. I've been educated. I have a new way of thinking and living my life. Don't believe anyone, ever. Particularly don't believe any old frivolous fluff that really has no reason to be made up - thats the most dangerous of all lies. We don't know why yet, but we will find out, and when we do, it will be too late for all of us. 

Don't worry Zac, it's not just you. They fooled me so much , that they actually paid me, and very handsomely at that, to do some work for him . I've been taken for a right mug

🤣

On 15/04/2022 at 11:04, East Rider said:

Where are you moving from Jaberry?

Personally, I feel if you are moving south of Dereham it gives you a short journey to Wymondham which is also very nice. Not being a native to Norfolk though, having lived here for most of my life, off and on, I can say without fear of contradiction that this is a superb county to live in and there are some places which are absolute gems.

Good luck

Thanks mate. Looking at upping sticks from Cockfosters (end of Piccadilly line). The house we saw we just on the south part of Dereham, albeit there asking too much money and the neighbors look a bit questionable, albeit theirs an acre between this house and the next. After visiting I'm not sure whether I'd spend much time in Dereham, but like others have said there is everything you need there. Went to a decent pub called the Brisley Bell not too far away. I quite liked Wymondham when I visited over the weekend, but from visiting most towns regardless of where we end up in Norfolk, I dare say we'll spend much of our time in Norwich. Thanks all for your input

On 15/04/2022 at 14:48, Worthy Nigelton said:

Just move to Norwich. Don't bother with Dereham, or anywhere outside of the Ring Road.

I like Norwich, but looking for land/outbuildings and norwich just doesnt have those properties in abundance.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I like Norwich, but looking for land/outbuildings and norwich just doesnt have those properties in abundance.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Dereham is nice but too far out for me. Worse places to live though! Fill your boots!

On 14/04/2022 at 12:48, jaberry2 said:

Hi all.

Sorry to ask on  a football forum, but looking at a house just outside of Dereham and would like some of yours opinions on that part of the world. People seem to have strong opinions of Dereham, but no doubt we'll be spending most our time in Norwich anyways. Thanks in advance 

It looks as though we have found a house in East Bilney. Fingers crossed I can be in Norfolk full time soon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

It looks as though we have found a house in East Bilney. Fingers crossed I can be in Norfolk full time soon.

East Bilney is lovely. I’m originally from Dereham and moved back there briefly because of the pandemic. It’s a nice(ish) place to live. Not a lot of great pubs / spots is all. The town isn’t as picturesque as others around it say Holt and Fakenham though and there’s no great independent cafes that you might be used to. 

26 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

You'll be ok at East Bilney if your car bodywork unfortunately gets damaged or needs sorting.... 

9 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

You'll be ok at East Bilney if your car bodywork unfortunately gets damaged or needs sorting.... 

Yes ive heard basically anyone who crashes with a tractor ends up there to get there car fixed.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

Yes ive heard basically anyone who crashes with a tractor ends up there to get there car fixed.

Get yourself a tractor....you know it makes sense....

Funnily enough, given the name, we’re in the next village South from East Bilney. The area is excellent (IMO) unless you’re expecting masses of night-life. There’s a decent selection of pubs nearby, you’ve tried the (award winning) Brisley Bell, North Elmham has a couple of reasonable pubs (although we haven’t tried them for a while, their reputations are good), Gressenhall has recently opened a community-run pub, which is getting good reviews. We have a Thai restaurant based pub in Beetley, which is pretty good (lovely food, but pricey). There’s a decent selection of food outlets further afield in Dereham, the usual selection of Chinese, Indian etc and of course traditional franchise fayre (the aforementioned ‘Spoons and a Marstons).

Dereham is good for shopping with a good selection of supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi), Fakenham has similar albeit they are smaller in size than Dereham. Dereham is also well provided with builders merchants, Screwfix, Toolstation and the like if that’s your need. The only issue is that the significant places are concentrated in the East ‘out of town’, causing some of the above mentioned traffic issues, trying to traverse town on a Saturday morning is not a 5 minute job.

The huge plus with choosing North of Dereham is the proximity of the North Norfolk coast, an easy 30 mins away are some the nicest beaches you could want, whether it’s for walking, dog-walking, bird watching, or just chilling out. A leisurely walk on the Coastal path and then a lunch in one of the numerous lovely pubs in the area takes some beating.

On 14/04/2022 at 17:56, hogesar said:

Id say as a town Dereham has regressed year on year. Traffic is weirdly annoying when visiting the wife's parents in Toftwood. 

I think you’ll find that visiting the in-laws is the annoying bit 😀

• Haha 2

On 15/04/2022 at 14:48, Worthy Nigelton said:

Just move to Norwich. Don't bother with Dereham, or anywhere outside of the Ring Road.

cant understand how anyone could live in a city bloody horrid

44 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Funnily enough, given the name, we’re in the next village South from East Bilney. The area is excellent (IMO) unless you’re expecting masses of night-life. There’s a decent selection of pubs nearby, you’ve tried the (award winning) Brisley Bell, North Elmham has a couple of reasonable pubs (although we haven’t tried them for a while, their reputations are good), Gressenhall has recently opened a community-run pub, which is getting good reviews. We have a Thai restaurant based pub in Beetley, which is pretty good (lovely food, but pricey). There’s a decent selection of food outlets further afield in Dereham, the usual selection of Chinese, Indian etc and of course traditional franchise fayre (the aforementioned ‘Spoons and a Marstons).

Dereham is good for shopping with a good selection of supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi), Fakenham has similar albeit they are smaller in size than Dereham. Dereham is also well provided with builders merchants, Screwfix, Toolstation and the like if that’s your need. The only issue is that the significant places are concentrated in the East ‘out of town’, causing some of the above mentioned traffic issues, trying to traverse town on a Saturday morning is not a 5 minute job.

The huge plus with choosing North of Dereham is the proximity of the North Norfolk coast, an easy 30 mins away are some the nicest beaches you could want, whether it’s for walking, dog-walking, bird watching, or just chilling out. A leisurely walk on the Coastal path and then a lunch in one of the numerous lovely pubs in the area takes some beating.

Thanks Beetley. Yes visited the Brisley Bell before, it's a nice spot. I like the position about 25mins to the coast and Norwich etc. Fingers crossed all goes to plan.

51 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Are you one of the presenters on Escape to the Country? 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Are you one of the presenters on Escape to the Country? 

In fairness, he gives a good overview of the area.

11 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Apologies to all if that came over as a bit ‘estate agency-ish’ <shudder> 🙂. Just trying to help. Good luck with the move!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Hence my question, it wasn't a critical one 😉😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Apologies to all if that came over as a bit ‘estate agency-ish’ <shudder> 🙂. Just trying to help. Good luck with the move!

No need for apologies, I was only joshing with you 😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

No need for apologies, I was only joshing with you 😀

We will have none of that friendship mullarky on here! 

Pitchforks and pi$$ taking, with occasional pant wetting interspersed with happy clapping* only. 

* ncfc results dependent 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Pitchforks and pi$$ taking, with occasional pant wetting interspersed with happy clapping* only. 

* ncfc results dependent 

You forgot raising subjects that one claims to have no opinion on , yet is a thinly veiled dig at one of the supporters groups ( evening all). 😇

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You forgot raising subjects that one claims to have no opinion on , yet is a thinly veiled dig at one of the supporters groups ( evening all). 😇

I genuinely struggle to think of when you post to add something of significance to the subject matter of a thread which in this case is the town of Dereham and the surrounding area when an opportunity comes your way to have a pop at a poster. Virtually all your posts on here are similar to this latest effort which is off topic and has no relation whatsoever especially as i have not even posted until your sarcasm has drawn me into it.

I confess to being guilty in a few instances when i post in reply to what has been said by an odd poster here and there but Christ on a bike you have turned it into a cottage industry.

Some self awareness of what you post would not go amiss.

Now have a lovely day and i will leave you to the last word as is your usual way.

Apologies to you guys who wish to continue to discuss the merits of living and shopping in central Norrfolk.

Edited by TIL 1010

1 hour ago, DAVID SEWELL said:

'Self awareness' lol!

Irony klaxon.

Well shock and amazement just look who has turned up with post No 56 out of his total of 56 on this forum aimed in my direction.

Your posting history is extremely weird and one dimensional bordering on stalking.

Laughable in the extreme. Ever thought of ;posting anything loosely related to football ?

Edited by TIL 1010

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

* ncfc results dependent 

Apologies, I'll return to my drunken ranting of Saturday night 😂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I genuinely struggle to think of when you post to add something of significance to the subject matter of a thread which in this case is the town of Dereham and the surrounding area when an opportunity comes your way to have a pop at a poster. Virtually all your posts on here are similar to this latest effort which is off topic and has no relation whatsoever especially as i have not even posted until your sarcasm has drawn me into it.

I confess to being guilty in a few instances when i post in reply to what has been said by an odd poster here and there but Christ on a bike you have turned it into a cottage industry.

Some self awareness of what you post would not go amiss.

Now have a lovely day and i will leave you to the last word as is your usual way.

Apologies to you guys who wish to continue to discuss the merits of living and shopping in central Norrfolk.

I was replying to Greavsyos post, not taking the thread off topic, if you're gonna shoot, make sure you have the right target in your sights , otherwise peeps might think you are confused, blind or just plain stooooopido.   Not for me to judge, I'll leave that to them what know stuff about stuff. 

PS you could always press the ignore button , but I know you like to be involved.... 😇. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Keep the crying and moaning off this thread. Save it for other threads.

No crying or moaning in my posts , just giving Tillo his weekly tickle. He wouldn't miss it for the world.He pretends to be miffed but he's only playing hard to get, flirting even. 😇

Enjoy East Bilney, it sounds lovely. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Keep the crying and moaning off this thread. Save it for other threads.

As I said previously on this thread! 

11 hours ago, Greavsy said:

* ncfc results dependent 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

No crying or moaning in my posts , just giving Tillo his weekly tickle. He wouldn't miss it for the world.He pretends to be miffed but he's only playing hard to get, flirting even. 😇

do we all get the offer of a tickle Corkio? Or is it just a select few?

What is the qualification criteria ?