cambridgeshire canary

So who needs to stay and who needs to go out of our playes?

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Farke's coming back, I'd prefer to see him in Webber's position.

He's not, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Farke is a coach, his abilities at DF are unproven and that's not what we need.

If Webber leaves then it will be Neil Adams in the short term, who's been learning the ropes off Webber these past few months.

Another nicey nicey appointment.

32 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's not, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Farke is a coach, his abilities at DF are unproven and that's not what we need.

If Webber leaves then it will be Neil Adams in the short term, who's been learning the ropes off Webber these past few months.

Another nicey nicey appointment.

That was why I said "if". At the same time, when Farke started at Lippstadt he pretty much did absolutely everything and initially wanted to be a DoF.

Who better to supervise what was built than the manager who helped establish such a structure in the first place? Not to mention advise on promising youngsters and be a soundboard for the manager in precisely that regard.

Fully accept it's unlikely as heck, but to me at least, it still makes some semblance of sense.

I’d sell:

Aarons, Cantwell, Giannoulis, Placheta, McLean

Keep:

Gunn

Big Andy, Hanley, Gibson, Zimbo, McCallum, Mumba, Byram,

Hernandez, Sinani, Rowe, Tzolis, Sorensen, PLM, Dowell

Pukki, Idah, Sargent

Who I think we’ll sell:

Rachica, Krul, 

Loans go back

Buy

Hourihane, Davis, DM

I like how even in our hypotheticals the DM is just a DM. 🤣

Think Giannoulis has been very unlucky this season. Hope he cements his position next season.

6 hours ago, Monty13 said:

We don’t have the money for a complete overhaul that actually improves overall team quality.

There’s a school of thought that simply dropping McLean, Sargent and Gilmour will improve overall team quality!

While there has been much talk about our need for a physical DM IMO even more important is a creative midfielder without which Pukki might as well stay at home.

48 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

While there has been much talk about our need for a physical DM IMO even more important is a creative midfielder without which Pukki might as well stay at home.

If we don't sign a potential starting-eleven striker in the summer as a potential replacement for Pukki I will send nutty £10 for the CSF. Truthfully, although the squad as it is happens to be better suited to a top three place than some posters claim to believe, there are still some obvious gaps for next season in the Championship. One is striker and the other is up front! If we then get promoted back then there will be a need for a PL-class creative midfielder, but that is not such an immediate necessity.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Next season's team with who we have at present, especially if we play 4 4 2 where we were markedly better until Idah's injury.

I do not feel we need too many players, but we need good ones.

Keep the youngsters and develop them.

Krul

Aarons Omobamidele Hanley Byram

Rowe New New Rashica

Pukki Idah

Subs: Gunn

Some of who remain will be needed for cover but if the price was right I wouldn't mind losing any of them.

There are others that I would certainly like to see the back of: As well as the loan players (both to and from), McGovern (as a player), Gibson, Rupp, Dowell, Placheta, Lees-Melou and Sargent.

I don't udnerstand why so many people want Rupp and Sargent out. Rupp is consistently decent when he's played for us this season, at least more so than others, and in the Champ he's even better (was one of our best last season before injury) and Sargent is way too young and too new to English football to give up on yet. In that Watford game he showed what a bit of confidence can do for him. Next season he could be massive.

Like others have said, I wouldn't get rid of any of our youngsters, or anyone who has only had this season at the club - they've not had a fair test yet.

Placheta and Dowell I don't think are quite good enough considering the chances they've had and wouldn't mind seeing them go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Sargent is way too young and too new to English football to give up on yet. In that Watford game he showed what a bit of confidence can do for him. Next season he could be massive.

Rupp is a useful player but not really at the standard we need if we actually want to make a better fight of it IF we are promoted.

Sargent may be young but I sadly think he is missing some of the key skills to be a premier league (or even championship) player. ie ball control, awareness, weight of pass, vision. Many of these arent things which come with age and cant be taught. Have a look at some of the top young players (eg Greenwood, Foden etc) they have these capabilities despite their age. They may be the exceptions but even the likes of Cantwell,  Aarons,  Omobamidele and most recently Rowe show that some qualities are not age related.

Sargent certainly give his all and cant be faulted for his desire and determination but if we could sell him I would.. but sadly the reality is we paid so far over the odds for him that we wont be able to offload. 

• Like 2

Two choices - stick with the majority of the current squad and hope that will be enough for an instant return or start again and build a team that can compete in the PL even if that takes 2/3 years (or more).

Krul, Gibson, Hanley, Byram, Pukki, Rupp, Zimmermann, Lees-Melou and Mclean either are or will be 30 plus in 2023 so will be coming to the end of their careers, they should not be the 'backbone' of the starting XI going forward IMO.

23 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Two choices - stick with the majority of the current squad and hope that will be enough for an instant return or start again and build a team that can compete in the PL even if that takes 2/3 years (or more).

Krul, Gibson, Hanley, Byram, Pukki, Rupp, Zimmermann, Lees-Melou and Mclean either are or will be 30 plus in 2023 so will be coming to the end of their careers, they should not be the 'backbone' of the starting XI going forward IMO.

I agree with you but Krul is still a good age for a keeper. The main future is Omobamidele, Idah and Rowe (and Aarons too if he stays).

2 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

I agree with you but Krul is still a good age for a keeper. The main future is Omobamidele, Idah and Rowe (and Aarons too if he stays).

Krul will be 35 should City go straight back up and whilst he's a decent keeper he's not the long term answer but then again I'm not sure Gunn is either.

The other players mentioned need to have a full season as starters, I'd also keep Aarons if possible or put Mumba at full back if not, Byram's great but injury prone. That leaves big holes to fill in the middle of defence, centre midfield and some creativity plus of course a regular goalscorer to replace Pukki.

Racica is a one trick pony, head down and run.  How many assists this season, cant place.  Has looked streets ahead of the other recruits which is to say not much.  Goal threat not too often.  Perhaps one of this shower who may go onm to be as proper player.  Needs to show it to be a £10m player, and when does might get interest from PL clubs.  But is miles from earning a move to a proper PL team good enough for cannon fodder.  He will be here definitely next season and could become a player in a lower league.

As regards the rest of them get rid of most, but not going to happen only if out of contract.  We are skint get used to it cannot afford to offload and few if any with any quality to yeild decent transfer fees that includes the disappointing Aarons. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

Racica is a one trick pony, head down and run.  How many assists this season, cant place.  Has looked streets ahead of the other recruits which is to say not much.  Goal threat not too often.  Perhaps one of this shower who may go onm to be as proper player.  Needs to show it to be a £10m player, and when does might get interest from PL clubs.  But is miles from earning a move to a proper PL team good enough for cannon fodder.  He will be here definitely next season and could become a player in a lower league.

As regards the rest of them get rid of most, but not going to happen only if out of contract.  We are skint get used to it cannot afford to offload and few if any with any quality to yeild decent transfer fees that includes the disappointing Aarons. 

If Rashica is as poor as you say, God help the rest of them (no-trick ponies?)

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

Krul will be 35 should City go straight back up and whilst he's a decent keeper he's not the long term answer but then again I'm not sure Gunn is either.

The other players mentioned need to have a full season as starters, I'd also keep Aarons if possible or put Mumba at full back if not, Byram's great but injury prone. That leaves big holes to fill in the middle of defence, centre midfield and some creativity plus of course a regular goalscorer to replace Pukki.

As much as I would like Mumba to do well I feel he will struggle. 

He hasn't made the Peterborough starting eleven for a few weeks and is to Peterborough what Gilmour is to us.

Unfortunately I feel Mumba is a reaction player and not proactive. He doesn't see anything before it happens, anticipates very little and his reading of the game is poor.

He is very skilful but that on its own I do not feel is enough.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.