hepphep

Who should replace Pukki?

Every now and then there are posts and comments that Pukki is becoming slow, is not clinical anymore, smells foul or for some other reason should be replaced (and should've already been done year or two ago). Those are really annoying me, especially because those who keep bringing it up never really want to answer who the replacement should be.

So, to try to figure out that, I wanted to start considering possible options in the ranks of our dear opponents.
I went it through simply by listing forwards by their score in fantasy premier league and started to pick all who had performed to even some level. Might be that some have played in different positions or missing someone, but wanted to quickly get list and think how they match and trying to skip those who have clearly not been playing as CF but more as winger etc.
Interesting side note, Pukki has 6th best score of all the forwards in Fantasy Premier League which is of course based stats of the players.

But to the list. Who (out of top 6 teams) would be upgrade for Pukki as CF.
Dennis - not sure if improvement? Not really proven in longer term, but had good period during this season. Would rather have Pukki currently.
Maupay - maybe, could be bit like younger version of Pukki. Currently would be gamble for better or worse. However, younger.
Edouard - not been that impressed of him on matches I've seen.
Toney - Very different, but has not been able to really have expected impact in Premier League even though Brentford was performing really well in start. Judge is out with this, but currently don't see him as major upgrade.
Che Adams - does not seem like upgrade to me.
Broja - Nope.
King - Nope.
Watkins - Has some quality for sure, but don't feel like he would currently be improvement.
Vardy - would consider as upgrade, but is always broken and due to that not been on his best anymore. Will not help team when watching from VIP lounge.
Jimenez - hard one. I think he is pretty good, but not been scoring that much either this season. Cannot say he would really be improvement currently either.
Kane - going through hard patch, but likely would have any case. On the other hand, might not suit to our style of playing. Still, would likely take him.
Callum Wilson - I'd rather have Pukki.
Ings- always liked him, but haven't been able to perform on expected level this season at Villa. Very different kind of player as well.
Wood - Nope. Unless we want to change to just pump the ball into box. 
Richarlison - could be one option. Has his moments, but not really clinical scorer. Would like to see him supporting Pukki, but if I need to pick only one, I'd keep Pukki as better finisher.
Lacazette - Has his moments, but bit average as a scorer. Rather have Pukki.
Ayew - Not currently able to make any impact in Palace.
Armstrong - Not performing, would be downgrade.
Hwang - had good start for season, but faded away and not getting any more minutes.
Iheanacho - really haven't been finding net

Any I've missed?

So, some might disagree with some of those players and rather have them instead of Pukki, but it is hard to see anyone seriously considering any of them as a major upgrade as direct replacement.

If we agree that we would not want most of those guys to replace Pukki and don't find any better names to the list, maybe it is time to agree that we are lucky to currently have one of the best forwards in the whole league and be very happy about that. 

10 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Every now and then there are posts and comments that Pukki is becoming slow, is not clinical anymore, smells foul or for some other reason should be replaced (and should've already been done year or two ago). Those are really annoying me, especially because those who keep bringing it up never really want to answer who the replacement should be.

So, to try to figure out that, I wanted to start considering possible options in the ranks of our dear opponents.
I went it through simply by listing forwards by their score in fantasy premier league and started to pick all who had performed to even some level. Might be that some have played in different positions or missing someone, but wanted to quickly get list and think how they match and trying to skip those who have clearly not been playing as CF but more as winger etc.
Interesting side note, Pukki has 6th best score of all the forwards in Fantasy Premier League which is of course based stats of the players.

Dennis - not sure if improvement? Not really proven in longer term, but had good period during this season. Would rather have Pukki currently.
Maupay - maybe, could be bit like younger version of Pukki. Currently would be gamble for better or worse. However, younger.
Toney - Very different, but has not been able to really have expected impact in Premier League even though Brentford was performing really well in start. Judge is out with this, but currently don't see him as major upgrade.
Broja - Nope.
King - Nope.
Watkins - Has some quality for sure, but don't feel like he would currently be improvement.
Vardy - would consider as upgrade, but is always broken and due to that not been on his best anymore. Will not help team when watching from VIP lounge.
Jimenez - hard one. I think he is pretty good, but not been scoring that much either this season. Cannot say he would really be improvement currently either.
Kane - going through hard patch, but likely would have any case. On the other hand, might not suit to our style of playing. Still, would likely take him.
Ings- always liked him, but haven't been able to perform on expected level this season at Villa. Very different kind of player as well.
Richarlison - could be one option. Has his moments, but not really clinical scorer. Would like to see him supporting Pukki, but if I need to pick only one, I'd keep Pukki as better finisher.
Hwang - had good start for season, but faded away and not getting any more minutes.

Any I've missed?

So, some might disagree with some of those players and rather have them instead of Pukki, but it is hard to see anyone seriously considering any of them as a major upgrade as direct replacement.

If we agree that we would not want most of those guys to replace Pukki and don't find any better names to the list, maybe it is time to agree that we are lucky to currently have one of the best forwards in the whole league and be very happy about that. 

Salah is missing from your list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Broja - Nope.
King - Nope.

Any I've missed?

There’s a thread about 7/8 topics down about this 

We'll probably trawl the lower leagues.

I had thought Freddie Ladapo from Rotherham fitted the bill, but he's getting on now.

From Binland there is Tyrese Simpsom. I know nothing of him except that the binners big him up and he seems to have done well recently when loaned out.

The added plus is that he refuses to sign a new contract with Ipswich.

That needs to be where we might look. 

We will need one in, wherever we ply our trade. If it's PL then perhaps a more instant and pricey an option than the above .

Pukki ages. Idah remains enigmatic. The Sarge might or might not retain his goal lust. Hugill ... Jeez no!

We do have alot of promising youth ourselves though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

There is nothing wrong with Pukki his output in terms of goals this season is similar to Strikers in the clubs around us. Such as Toney, Adam Armstrong etc…

The issue is this season we are rarely enjoying half the possession let allow the 60-70% we averaged when we are in the championship.

Any criticism of Pukki is ridiculous. 

Cameron Jerome said it best when someone asked him between the difference between the wand the championship. He said in the Championship he was playing in teams chasing the title enjoying the majority of possession, playing numerous attacking players and expecting to win all the games they play. Cameron Jerome in the premiership is playing in a relegation battle with no support, little possession and is spending 90 minutes closing down centre backs. When he misses the only half chance he gets every 2 games he is the bad guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hepphep said:

Broja - Nope.
King - Nope.

Any I've missed?

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with looking to the future but some of the criticism from retards on here has been unbelievable. He’s scored more than Kane this season in a bottom 3 team. There is a sad section of posters who love going for our players on here , whether it’s Pukki, Aarons or Kenny. Time for them to realise that confidence and togetherness have a huge part to play if we are to have any chance of staying up.

59 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Salah is missing from your list. 

For two reasons, Salah is not CF and in addition he is in top six teams and as mentioned those were skipped. Would still take Salah for sure! 

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

There’s a thread about 7/8 topics down about this 

True! Was originally planning to respond on of them, but they tend to end up whining threads and yes/no arguments. Therefore decided start a new one that focuses on also really looking what other teams to have instead of getting lost in thread with endless opinions without arguments.

And even I have to start new thread every now and then!😉

Some the comments on Kane and Richarlison in particular are laughable.

Strikers are like jockeys and racing drivers. The best drivers and jockeys get the best cars and horses it is the same with forwards. 

49 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with looking to the future but some of the criticism from retards on here has been unbelievable. He’s scored more than Kane this season in a bottom 3 team. There is a sad section of posters who love going for our players on here , whether it’s Pukki, Aarons or Kenny. Time for them to realise that confidence and togetherness have a huge part to play if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Absolutely, we could have a list on replacements for Kenny and draw the same conclusion. 

49 minutes ago, hepphep said:

True! Was originally planning to respond on of them, but they tend to end up whining threads and yes/no arguments. Therefore decided start a new one that focuses on also really looking what other teams to have instead of getting lost in thread with endless opinions without arguments.

I suppose it makes a change from Cambridge doing it 

42 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Some the comments on Kane and Richarlison in particular are laughable.

Strikers are like jockeys and racing drivers. The best drivers and jockeys get the best cars and horses it is the same with forwards. 

Richarlison has scored 3 goals this season for team that has scored 28 goals. Pukki has scored 6 goals for team that has scored 14 goals.
During our last premier league visit, Richarlison scored 13 for team that scored 44 goals, Pukki scored 11 for team that scored 26. 
I really think that Pukki is better finisher of the two, even though Richarlison has has other good qualities.

In case of Kane, I agree it might be laughable to consider him instead of Pukki as Pukki has been better performer of the two during this season (at least based on the goals). I agree that in their current forms, we should maybe stick with Pukki. In longer term, I'd still likely go with Kane.

I don't think Pukki really suits how Dean Smith wants to play.

Think Pukki will go if we go down. Will probably need 2 new strikers.

48 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I don't think Pukki really suits how Dean Smith wants to play.

Think Pukki will go if we go down. Will probably need 2 new strikers.

Watkins often plays on the shoulder like Pukki and Smith signed him. 

Smith's problem is he doesn't have anyone to thread a pass to Pukki now Buendia's gone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hepphep said:

We have a man who does that for us already thankyou. 

12 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

We have a man who does that for us already thankyou. 

I'll learn from this and leave it for our dedicated specialist in future 😄👍

21 hours ago, Commonsense said:

It's not always criticism, it's succession planning 

It's good to know that the OP would "likely" take one of the best CFs in the world over Pukki.

France, Brazil and England internationals need not apply though.

Top analysis. 

• Haha 1